View Full Version : Happy Earth Day

Chloe
04-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Peter1469
04-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Happy earth day.

GrassrootsConservative
04-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Back at you, Chloe, even though I don't celebrate.

Chloe
04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
One of my professors sent this to us today and I thought it was pretty awesome

http://youtu.be/uAXRrzbK3gs

GrassrootsConservative
04-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Lol "Breathe in, Breathe out" made me think I was about to listen to Machinehead by Bush.

Evidently not.

Chloe
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Lol "Breathe in, Breathe out" made me think I was about to listen to Machinehead by Bush.

Evidently not.

No, not. :)

I thought it was a pretty cool video actually. It shows how amazing the Earth can be.

GrassrootsConservative
04-22-2013, 06:12 PM
No, not. :)

I thought it was a pretty cool video actually. It shows how amazing aspects of the Earth can be.

I never realized how much like breathing the tides of the earth are. What if we are living on a giant living being? Like parasites?

"To the maggots in the cheese, the cheese is the universe."
-Brother Theodore

Chloe
04-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I never realized how much like breathing the tides of the earth are. What if we are living on a giant living being? Like parasites?

"To the maggots in the cheese, the cheese is the universe."
-Brother Theodore

It's a fun and interesting way of looking at the Earth in my opinion. What if the Earth is its own living super organism with much smaller organisms making up it's "workforce" to sustain it? The concept that all organisms on the planet work to ensure the health of the super organism, that being Earth. If that concept were to be assumed to be real then humans could actually be considered more of a parasite than a benefit to the super organism. I'm sure it sounds crazy to most people but I think it's fun to think about and consider. It's called the Gaia theory. I love thinking about this sort of stuff. We actually talked it in class not too long ago as well and it gets a lot of interesting conversation if you allow yourself to think openly about it.

Peter1469
04-22-2013, 06:44 PM
It's a fun and interesting way of looking at the Earth in my opinion. What if the Earth is its own living super organism with much smaller organisms making up it's "workforce" to sustain it? The concept that all organisms on the planet work to ensure the health of the super organism, that being Earth. If that concept were to be assumed to be real then humans could actually be considered more of a parasite than a benefit to the super organism. I'm sure it sounds crazy to most people but I think it's fun to think about and consider. It's called the Gaia theory. I love thinking about this sort of stuff. We actually talked it in class not too long ago as well and it gets a lot of interesting conversation if you allow yourself to think openly about it.

Now describe the universe that way.

Chloe
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Now describe the universe that way.

You mean like describe every planet and so on as a living organism?

KC
04-22-2013, 06:51 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6yvhgBLnG1qk8zxso1_250.gif

Peter1469
04-22-2013, 06:53 PM

And the universe itself.

Chloe
04-22-2013, 06:53 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6yvhgBLnG1qk8zxso1_250.gif

I'm not really sure if that's making fun of me or not :)

Did I totally miss his point?

KC
04-22-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm not really sure if that's making fun of me or not :)

Did I totally miss his point?

I was just being snarky. That's my "mind is blown" gif :grin:

Chloe
04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
And the universe itself.

Ok I'll try

Not every organism lives off the same source of energy or food, so with the Earth if it were created to be a certain way and survive on certain things that develop naturally on Earth for its survival then it would explain its own life cycle as an individual planet in the universe. Almost like a snowflake but not as unique since there could be other Earth's out there.

Planets like Mars or something may be more like a simple super organism than the Earth is which would mean that it survives on much less and produces much less.

As for the rest of the universe like stars, comets, moons, meteors, and the energy and matter in between those things it could all be a part of the same massive life cycle contributing or damaging parts of the universe as time goes by.

Chloe
04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I know it's kind of a weird thing to think about but I think it's fun.