PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Gun Laws

Cigar
04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Simple - Easy

* Businesses and individuals need a valid firearms licence to be able to possess (own, borrow or store) a firearm in Canada. They must keep their licence up to date and renew it before the expiry date if they possess firearms.

* Individuals must be at least 18 years old to get a licence, minors aged 12 to 17 can get a minors' licence that will allow them to possess a non-restricted rifle or shotgun, but a licensed adult must be responsible for the firearm.

* Applicants must meet specific training requirements in the safe use and handling of a firearm.

* All licence applicants must pass a public-safety check.

* A computer link between the Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS) and the national police database helps to speed up the process and allows for continuous checks of licence holders.

* All firearms must have a valid Canadian registration certificate. To be able to register a firearm, an applicant must be at least 18 years old and have a valid firearms licence allowing them to possess that class of firearm.

* When a firearm changes ownership, it will be registered to the new owner as part of transfer process. When someone borrows a firearm, they must also borrow the registration certificate for that firearm.

* The regulations supporting the Firearms Act set out specific rules for storing, transporting and displaying firearms safely to deter loss, theft and accidents.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/hl-fs-eng.htm

There is no reason this can't be done. A full repeal of the second amendment will be necessary for it to happen, though. So it won't be done. For shame. 82 more people have died today because of gun violence in America. 82 more will die tomorrow. And on and on and on until the gun nuts (THE MINORITY!!!) lose control of all the power in Washington.

No second amendment bull-shit. No idiotic "right" to own a gun. Yet nobody but the irresponsible and the criminals are restricted from owning a gun. No outright ban on guns. THEY EVEN LET MINORS OWN GUNS. A gun murder rate that is one seventh that of the U.S., and yes, that's per capita.

Time for people to grow up folks, and quit pretending to be Cowboys. :rollseyes:

zelmo1234
04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I do not think that the Canadian Constitution gives the people the reight to keep and bear arms like our second amendment!

And we have plenty of laws on the books that obama and Holder could choose to start enforcing if they wanted to make a difference!

BB-35
04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Simple - Easy

* Businesses and individuals need a valid firearms licence to be able to possess (own, borrow or store) a firearm in Canada. They must keep their licence up to date and renew it before the expiry date if they possess firearms.

* Individuals must be at least 18 years old to get a licence, minors aged 12 to 17 can get a minors' licence that will allow them to possess a non-restricted rifle or shotgun, but a licensed adult must be responsible for the firearm.

* Applicants must meet specific training requirements in the safe use and handling of a firearm.

* A computer link between the Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS) and the national police database helps to speed up the process and allows for continuous checks of licence holders.

* All firearms must have a valid Canadian registration certificate. To be able to register a firearm, an applicant must be at least 18 years old and have a valid firearms licence allowing them to possess that class of firearm.

* When a firearm changes ownership, it will be registered to the new owner as part of transfer process. When someone borrows a firearm, they must also borrow the registration certificate for that firearm.

* The regulations supporting the Firearms Act set out specific rules for storing, transporting and displaying firearms safely to deter loss, theft and accidents.

There is no reason this can't be done. A full repeal of the second amendment will be necessary for it to happen, though. So it won't be done. For shame. 82 more people have died today because of gun violence in America. 82 more will die tomorrow. And on and on and on until the gun nuts (THE MINORITY!!!) lose control of all the power in Washington.

No second amendment bull-shit. No idiotic "right" to own a gun. Yet nobody but the irresponsible and the criminals are restricted from owning a gun. No outright ban on guns. THEY EVEN LET MINORS OWN GUNS. A gun murder rate that is one seventh that of the U.S., and yes, that's per capita.

Time for people to grow up folks, and quit pretending to be Cowboys. :rollseyes:

You can't repeal a basic right,nong nong

It's an individual right protected by the constitution

Get over yourself,hoplophobe

Dr. Who
04-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I do not think that the Canadian Constitution gives the people the reight to keep and bear arms like our second amendment!

And we have plenty of laws on the books that obama and Holder could choose to start enforcing if they wanted to make a difference!
No, but there is a difference between a right and a directive. Many Americans treat that right like a directive - as if you are basically unAmerican if you don't own a gun. The fact that there are so MANY guns in circulation and so MANY gun vendors ensures that the criminally inclined always have an ample supply of guns. Not that you can't kill without a gun, but it really takes more work to do so, especially if you want to kill more than one person at a time. You can commit a robbery with a knife, but there is still a greater risk that someone with a little skill will overpower you. If you're a gang banger you can still kill your enemies with a knife, but in order to do so, you have to get closer and your enemy may also have a knife - you might get killed. Oh yes, there is the argument that the criminals will always be able to get guns - well not all will be able to, because if guns are in short supply they get very expensive - that automatically weeds out the little punks who are currently running around with guns. Just saying...

Cigar
04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
You can't repeal a basic right,nong nong

It's an individual right protected by the constitution

Get over yourself,hoplophobe

What about Voting? :)

zelmo1234
04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
No, but there is a difference between a right and a directive. Many Americans treat that right like a directive - as if you are basically unAmerican if you don't own a gun. The fact that there are so MANY guns in circulation and so MANY gun vendors ensures that the criminally inclined always have an ample supply of guns. Not that you can't kill without a gun, but it really takes more work to do so, especially if you want to kill more than one person at a time. You can commit a robbery with a knife, but there is still a greater risk that someone with a little skill will overpower you. If you're a gang banger you can still kill your enemies with a knife, but in order to do so, you have to get closer and your enemy may also have a knife - you might get killed. Oh yes, there is the argument that the criminals will always be able to get guns - well not all will be able to, because if guns are in short supply they get very expensive - that automatically weeds out the little punks who are currently running around with guns. Just saying...

Oh! GOOD criminals have stopped stealing guns! I had not heard that yet!

zelmo1234
04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
What about Voting? :)

Ileagal immigrants and dead people have never had the right to vote?

Dr. Who
04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
If there weren't that many guns around, there would be much fewer to steal. It wouldn't be like targeting any old house in the hood - they'd actually have to obtain intelligence as to who might have a gun, and then it would have to be unsecured. Similarly, if gun vendors were not as ubiquitous as the local 7/11, the remaining vendors would have much more rigorous security. Hence why there is so much less gun violence in Canada. Most of the guns obtained by Canadian criminals come across the US border, rather than from local homes and gun shops.

zelmo1234
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
If there weren't that many guns around, there would be much fewer to steal. It wouldn't be like targeting any old house in the hood - they'd actually have to obtain intelligence as to who might have a gun, and then it would have to be unsecured. Similarly, if gun vendors were not as ubiquitous as the local 7/11, the remaining vendors would have much more rigorous security. Hence why there is so much less gun violence in Canada. Most of the guns obtained by Canadian criminals come across the US border, rather than from local homes and gun shops.

Not that I don't beleive that last statement but Link please!

And as far as getting rid of the guns that are already on the street! that means confiscation? what would you say the acceptable losses would be?

Dr. Who
04-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Oh and FYI, if you eliminate the guns in the hands of all the little punks who commit the driveby shootings that have numerous unintended and innocent targets, you will only be left with the hardcore criminals, who primarily kill each other. You would also constrict the availability of guns to the nut jobs, the drunks and the anti-social element of society. You would not eliminate gun deaths, but they would be seriously diminished.

Dr. Who
04-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Not that I don't beleive that last statement but Link please!

And as far as getting rid of the guns that are already on the street! that means confiscation? what would you say the acceptable losses would be?

http://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2013/04/12/star_investigation_star_reporters_buy_cheap_us_gun _no_id_required.html

Can't comment on the guns on the street. Create a federal budget for gun elimiation and use it to buy all the guns. Pay over and above the actual value of the weapon. What's left on the market becomes illegal and subject to fines, jail time. Offer a bounty on illegal weapons. Snitch and bounty works well. After that you are down to the hard core weapon owners who either want to take their chances with getting caught or would rather die than give up their weapons. It may be slow process and take a number of years.

zelmo1234
04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Still No link?????????

Thought so!

zelmo1234
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2013/04/12/star_investigation_star_reporters_buy_cheap_us_gun _no_id_required.html

Can't comment on the guns on the street. Create a federal budget for gun elimiation and use it to buy all the guns. Pay over and above the actual value of the weapon. What's left on the market becomes illegal and subject to fines, jail time. Offer a bounty on illegal weapons. Snitch and bounty works well. After that you are down to the hard core weapon owners who either want to take their chances with getting caught or would rather die than give up their weapons. It may be slow process and take a number of years.

The Toranto Star??????? Just across the Bridge from Detroit, one of the most violent cities in the USA

Had to go to Alanta Georgia, to buy a personal hand gun from a private citizen??????????????????

This is your proof??????

I would have thought that they could have found hundreds in detroit!

Dr. Who
04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
The Toranto Star??????? Just across the Bridge from Detroit, one of the most violent cities in the USA

Had to go to Alanta Georgia, to buy a personal hand gun from a private citizen??????????????????

This is your proof??????

I would have thought that they could have found hundreds in detroit!
Since the paper has a reputation - it's not a junk newspaper, I doubt that the statistics re 70% smuggled weapons is false. Where they went to purchase guns was their business. They probably didn't want to get killed in the process and were likely acting on info as to the sources of the guns entering Canada. Nice little old ladies and middle class people are making extra money bringing weapons into Canada. Nice tourists coming from nice tourist destinations. Detroit wouldn't qualify.

Dr. Who
04-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Still No link?????????

Thought so!

Sorry, I was busy. Sheesh!

GrumpyDog
04-23-2013, 11:08 PM
You mean: The Absense of the right for Canadians to keep and bear arms, without infringement by government.

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Since the paper has a reputation - it's not a junk newspaper, I doubt that the statistics re 70% smuggled weapons is false. Where they went to purchase guns was their business. They probably didn't want to get killed in the process and were likely acting on info as to the sources of the guns entering Canada. Nice little old ladies and middle class people are making extra money bringing weapons into Canada. Nice tourists coming from nice tourist destinations. Detroit wouldn't qualify.

I would think that this is one of the busiest crossing between the country, they might just want to tighten things up a bit!

I don't think that a propaganda piece by a paper with lack of govenment statistics is a real good source!

So they had to go to Alanta? Detroit is too dangerous? So they could not find a gun in Toledo? or Maybe AnnArbor, What about Chicago, that is a nice liberal town??? Why over 1200 miles away in Alanta???

Common
04-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Someone gave an interesting perspective on background checks. Auto Licenses, autos are lethal weapons and being allowed to drive them is a privledge that you pay for via govt licensing be it state govt. If you misuse your vehicle your privledges to drive are taken away. The the person said we have ALL that and no one complains, but the senate cant pass even an initial check to see if someone is a known felon or maniac before we buy a gun.
I am for background checks let me make that clear and I am against gun control.

Cigar
04-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Someone gave an interesting perspective on background checks. Auto Licenses, autos are lethal weapons and being allowed to drive them is a privledge that you pay for via govt licensing be it state govt. If you misuse your vehicle your privledges to drive are taken away. The the person said we have ALL that and no one complains, but the senate cant pass even an initial check to see if someone is a known felon or maniac before we buy a gun.
I am for background checks let me make that clear and I am against gun control.

Asking for a Background Check is a sensible thing to do.

In addition, there are more than 3k types of Weapons that legal gun owners are allowed to have. So what "right" is being taken away when there are only a few types that are being asked to be restricted?

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Asking for a Background Check is a sensible thing to do.

In addition, there are more than 3k types of Weapons that legal gun owners are allowed to have. So what "right" is being taken away when there are only a few types that are being asked to be restricted?

There are already many types of weapons that the average citizen is not allowd to own, the new proposals are just for cosmetic reasons! So they are useless! You already know that!

Mag restrictions are totaaly usless as well!

And of course the biggest thing is that keeping law abiding citizens from owning any weapon only allows for mor crime!

As far as the background check, where is the outrage from those that wanted this passed. The democrats submited a bill that was full of poison, things that 5 of there own party voted against! Why is it that you are not calling for a clean background checks bill???

Cigar
04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
There are already many types of weapons that the average citizen is not allowd to own, the new proposals are just for cosmetic reasons! So they are useless! You already know that!

Mag restrictions are totaaly usless as well!

And of course the biggest thing is that keeping law abiding citizens from owning any weapon only allows for mor crime!

As far as the background check, where is the outrage from those that wanted this passed. The democrats submited a bill that was full of poison, things that 5 of there own party voted against! Why is it that you are not calling for a clean background checks bill???

So what you're saying is, if you're in a Gun Battle with someone ... Magazine Size irrelevant?

I personally know Law enforcement officers who would greatly disagree with you.

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
So what you're saying is, if you're in a Gun Battle with someone ... Magazine Size irrelevant?

I personally know Law enforcement officers who would greatly disagree with you.

Yes I have trained many officers that would disagree with my statement as well!

They would say that is why they carry high cap mags? because they only have 3 on their person!

However in a planed shooting our mass murdering idiots have always had plenty of mags!

Mag changes happen in less than 2 seconds, in the hands of trained shooters,

I happen to carry a gun that holds 9 for protection and even when I am working and have opted for a larger caliber!

But when working over seas It am also carrying a long gun! when here I am carring 4 extra 8 round mags!

And I am not hampered by regulated ammunitions like the police and military!

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I would think that this is one of the busiest crossing between the country, they might just want to tighten things up a bit!

I don't think that a propaganda piece by a paper with lack of govenment statistics is a real good source!

So they had to go to Alanta? Detroit is too dangerous? So they could not find a gun in Toledo? or Maybe AnnArbor, What about Chicago, that is a nice liberal town??? Why over 1200 miles away in Alanta???
Maybe because they don't ask too many questions in the South? For all you or anyone else knows, perhaps the criminals in the north are getting their weapons from southern gun shows etc. Perhaps it is easier to find a lax gun dealer in a small southern city, than driving a million miles around Detroit or Chicago?
As to tightening up the border, neither the US or Canadians wants the border traffic to grind to a halt, which is what would happen if every vehicle had to be checked coming back from the US. The Canadians would soon give up their US shopping trips and alot of border towns would lose revenue.

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Maybe because they don't ask too many questions in the South? For all you or anyone else knows, perhaps the criminals in the north are getting their weapons from southern gun shows etc. Perhaps it is easier to find a lax gun dealer in a small southern city, than driving a million miles around Detroit or Chicago?
As to tightening up the border, neither the US or Canadians wants the border traffic to grind to a halt, which is what would happen if every vehicle had to be checked coming back from the US. The Canadians would soon give up their US shopping trips and alot of border towns would lose revenue.

So it is OK for Gun and Ammunitions Factories, and Gun Shops and shooting ranges, plus mass merchants to loose revenue!

It is totally OK to take guns away from law abiding citizens, leaving the criminals a distinct advantage! (please look to gun crime statistics for the cities with the toughest gun laws)

But it is not OK to as the authorities to enforce current laws, and God forbid we look for criminals at the boarder crossings (It is much better to recend the rights of law abiding citizens) GOT IT!

I think we can all that common sense Liberal style!

Adelaide
04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
For the record, a vast majority of criminals are scared to carry firearms because if caught committing a crime with a firearm they face like half a dozen or more additional crimes by just having the gun.

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 06:52 PM
For the record, a vast majority of criminals are scared to carry firearms because if caught committing a crime with a firearm they face like half a dozen or more additional crimes by just having the gun.

That is GREAT!!!!! I like the Canadian Style. We actually have a felony firearm law here in the USA that adds 5 years to the sentence! But obama and Holder do not like to enforce it!

roadmaster
04-24-2013, 06:54 PM

No it's harder to get guns in the South. Small towns are the worst and you will jump threw hoops.

Adelaide
04-24-2013, 06:57 PM
That is GREAT!!!!! I like the Canadian Style. We actually have a felony firearm law here in the USA that adds 5 years to the sentence! But obama and Holder do not like to enforce it!

Well, they should.

But seriously, you get all sorts of things added like unlicensed firearm, carrying a firearm in public without proper storage, intention to use a firearm in a crime, carrying a restricted weapon without a license, transporting a weapon improperly, no firearm license, so on... I remember reading a newspaper article recently where a man killed another man with a knife, but had a gun in his car. That added about 8 additional charges.

roadmaster
04-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Where are you getting this information? What happened to the ones who were traveling with guns from Nigeria in Canada?

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
So it is OK for Gun and Ammunitions Factories, and Gun Shops and shooting ranges, plus mass merchants to loose revenue!

It is totally OK to take guns away from law abiding citizens, leaving the criminals a distinct advantage! (please look to gun crime statistics for the cities with the toughest gun laws)

But it is not OK to as the authorities to enforce current laws, and God forbid we look for criminals at the boarder crossings (It is much better to recend the rights of law abiding citizens) GOT IT!

I think we can all that common sense Liberal style!
Um, just trying to explain why the Toronto Star journalists went to southern towns and why Canada Customs is not searching every vehicle coming back from the US. If the fact that a country, just next door, with gun control has fewer gun homicides per capita because it has fewer guns in circulation and much harsher gun possession laws disturbs you, perhaps you should rethink the whole idea that more lethal weapons in circulation makes for a more peaceful society. Do you think that Canadians are just less predisposed to criminal activity? They comprise pretty much the same cultural cross section of the world population as the US, just a smaller country.

Private Pickle
04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Simple - Easy

It's not a right in Canada.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 08:04 PM
It's not a right in Canada.
Does making it a right turn it into a directive?

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Um, just trying to explain why the Toronto Star journalists went to southern towns and why Canada Customs is not searching every vehicle coming back from the US. If the fact that a country, just next door, with gun control has fewer gun homicides per capita because it has fewer guns in circulation and much harsher gun possession laws disturbs you, perhaps you should rethink the whole idea that more lethal weapons in circulation makes for a more peaceful society. Do you think that Canadians are just less predisposed to criminal activity? They comprise pretty much the same cultural cross section of the world population as the US, just a smaller country.

Of could it be that they have a lot less gang violence? The drug culture is there but different!

And that are not nearly as many people!

Private Pickle
04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Does making it a right turn it into a directive?

In a way, for citizens who want to keep their rights, yes.

Freedom needs to be exercised.