PDA

View Full Version : Senator Lindsey Graham Says Suspend the Constitution

Cigar
04-24-2013, 08:18 AM
http://b-i.forbesimg.com/rickungar/files/2013/04/Lindsey_Graham1.jpg

Senator Lindsey Graham Says Suspend the Constitution For Boston Marathon Suspect And Designate Him An Enemy Combatant

Why is it that those who spend an inordinate amount of time professing their dedication and fealty to the United States Constitution seem to always be among the first to toss our founding document out the window the moment it becomes inconvenient to their desires?

In a series of tweets posted by South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham on Friday, the conservative, ‘strict constructionist’ argued that nineteen-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev—suspected of being one of the Boston Marathon terrorists and taken into custody on Friday evening—should be treated as an enemy combatant and denied his due process rights under the Constitution.

Were the Administration to follow Graham’s advice, Tsarnaev would forever be denied his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent and to have the counsel of an attorney. Without these rights granted to all defendants pursuant to Miranda, anything this suspect might say to interrogators before being advised of these rights would still be admissible in a court of law.

I say ‘forever denied’ because Mr. Tsarnov will not be getting his Miranda warnings for a period of time even without declaring him an enemy combatant.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/04/19/senator-lindsey-graham-says-suspend-the-constitution-for-boston-marathon-suspect-and-designate-him-an-enemy-combatant/

I'm sure we can find records of Senator Lindsey Graham saying the exact same thing about Timothy McVeigh, if we looked really really hard for it. :rollseyes:

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 08:42 AM
God I hope that they can defeat this idiot in the primary!

While in the heat of the moment we all may have wanted this person to have his rights denied, he is a citizen and deserves the protections of the constitution, even though in this case it is hard to swallow! very hard! did I mention that it is hard!

Chris
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Clarification, cigar, if you will: Is this a thread against Graham, the person, or against the policy he suggests?

Cigar
04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't know Graham the person ... all I know is the Senator I "see" and "hear" on the talks shows each and every Sunday.

His record speaks for itself and his mouth speaks for himself and The GOP.

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't know Graham the person ... all I know is the Senator I "see" and "hear" on the talks shows each and every Sunday.

He is not real well liked by the GOP! So that would be a false statement. I would guess that he has more support from the DNC most of the time! one of the RINOS don't you know

Chris
04-24-2013, 09:05 AM

So it's just another partisan attack on a Rep, er, RINO, you don't really care about violating the Constitution.

Cigar
04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
He is not real well liked by the GOP! So that would be a false statement. I would guess that he has more support from the DNC most of the time! one of the RINOS don't you know

The fact that "no one" from the GOP ever steps in to refute "anything" he says, tells the average viewer he speaks freely for the GOP.

The GOP had "zero" problem jumping all over Chris Christie when they disagreed with him.

Cigar
04-24-2013, 09:12 AM
So it's just another partisan attack on a Rep, er, RINO, you don't really care about violating the Constitution.

Being a Hi-Profile Hypocrite United States Senator who freely shows that each and every Sunday isn't enough for you? :laugh:

Chris
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm just more concerned with the Constitution.

But, if you insist, how is he a hypocrite?

zelmo1234
04-24-2013, 09:40 AM
The fact that "no one" from the GOP ever steps in to refute "anything" he says, tells the average viewer he speaks freely for the GOP.

The GOP had "zero" problem jumping all over Chris Christie when they disagreed with him.

They are all over him and McCain all the time for the Shit that he says. Your favorites to pick on Rush, Hanity, and Beck hate him!

If you are a Democrat, he is the very kind of republican you want elected! I can't sand the man, His policies are little better than obamas

jillian
04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
God I hope that they can defeat this idiot in the primary!

While in the heat of the moment we all may have wanted this person to have his rights denied, he is a citizen and deserves the protections of the constitution, even though in this case it is hard to swallow! very hard! did I mention that it is hard!

I agree. I'm not a big believer in allowing us to destroy everything good about this country because of fear of a few radical extremists.

we don't need the constitution to protect the things and people and thoughts and deeds we like.

Chris
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
we don't need the constitution to protect the things and people and thoughts and deeds we like.

Rather we need a government that abodes by the Constitution "to protect the things and people and thoughts and deeds we like."

That, I think, is where Graham goes wrong.

Cigar
04-24-2013, 11:33 AM
I often laugh when I see Republicans / Conservatives preach Constitution, Second Amendment Rights and Policy.

The same chest beating flag waving patriots who scream "keep Big Governments hands off my Guns" have no problem slipping on the rubber Gloves and jamming Bill after Bill into Woman's Rights to their own bodies; then it's not Intrusive Government.

The last time I heard about Policies coming from Republicans was before October 2010 ... you remember ... Jobs?

jillian
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Rather we need a government that abodes by the Constitution "to protect the things and people and thoughts and deeds we like."

That, I think, is where Graham goes wrong.

for some reason i thought i responded to you... unless you said the same thing on another thread.

your idea of what the constitution requires doesn't comport with what the caselaw and history say it requires.

Bigred1cav
04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
suspend all of it but the rights of child murderers to buy or borrow guns.

Chris
04-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I often laugh when I see Republicans / Conservatives preach Constitution, Second Amendment Rights and Policy.

The same chest beating flag waving patriots who scream "keep Big Governments hands off my Guns" have no problem slipping on the rubber Gloves and jamming Bill after Bill into Woman's Rights to their own bodies; then it's not Intrusive Government.

The last time I heard about Policies coming from Republicans was before October 2010 ... you remember ... Jobs?

Big government Reps/Cons are as big a louts as big government Dems/Libs.

None of them want protection of individual second amendment rights.

Chris
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
for some reason i thought i responded to you... unless you said the same thing on another thread.

your idea of what the constitution requires doesn't comport with what the caselaw and history say it requires.

Please, tell me what I think about this so I can know too.

Constitution and interpretive precedence are two separate things.

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
They are all over him and McCain all the time for the Shit that he says. Your favorites to pick on Rush, Hanity, and Beck hate him!

If you are a Democrat, he is the very kind of republican you want elected! I can't sand the man, His policies are little better than obamas

Well said, in a Republic of Virtue, Graham and McCain would be shot for collaboration with the enemy.

I despise them both.

nic34
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Well said, in a Republic of Virtue, Graham and McCain would be shot for collaboration with the enemy.

I despise them both.

But you probably loved Lieberman....

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
But you probably loved Lieberman....

Where do you get such stupid ideas, and what possesses you to post them?

Chris
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Partisanship....

http://i.snag.gy/tYtmN.jpg

nic34
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
We are all partisans with a bias.

A person can strive for objectivity, but this search always has limitations because you can't escape the lens of your own experience.

Chris
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
We are all partisans with a bias.

A person can strive for objectivity, but this search always has limitations because you can't escape the lens of your own experience.

Speak for yourself, nic. We are not all partisans, some of us prefer to argue policies. It has nothing to do with bias, that's human nature.

nic34
04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
that's human nature.

I rest my case.

Chris
04-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I rest my case.

And your case was what, people are biased therefore they're partisans, committed to a political party? I like unsweet over sweet tea. I prefer liberty to slavery. Does that, in the case you've supposedly made, make me a Dem or a Rep? Being biased implies nothing about partisanship.

nic34
04-24-2013, 04:38 PM
We are all have ideological bias chris. You are not immune.

KC
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Graham should be fired immediately for going back on his vow to protect and defend the Constitution.

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Graham should be fired immediately for going back on his vow to protect and defend the Constitution.

South Carolina Dems nominate people like Al Greene.

Not, not that Al.

Graham is there as long as he wishes.

Chris
04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
We are all have ideological bias chris. You are not immune.

We could debate that but that's not what partisan means, nic, partisan means support a political party. I don't, I dislike the policies of both. And no, I'm libertarian, a set of principles, not a Libertarian, a political party. And yes I'm a tea partier, but that's not a political party, it's a set of principles, akin to libertarian principles that we hold party politicians too.

Nor do I tend to satisfy myself with going after this or that politician, but going after policies. --It's sort of like the difference between attacking messengers vs messages.

Peter1469
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM

If we held our Congress-critters to that standard our problems would largely be over-- an empty Congress.

jillian
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
If we held our Congress-critters to that standard our problems would largely be over-- an empty Congress.

So you hate the government established by the constitution?

Chris
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM

I heartily accept the motto,—“That government is best which governs least;” and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe,—“That government is best which governs not at all;” and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have. Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient.
—Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 05:02 PM

No, but a lot of us despise the government elected by American Idol Nation.

The Founding Fathers did not predict nor make provisions for a nation of idiots.

Chris
04-24-2013, 05:06 PM

What makes you think we have a Constitutional government?

nic34
04-24-2013, 05:08 PM
The Founding Fathers did not predict nor make provisions for a nation of idiots.

Most people of their time could not read or write.

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Most people of their time could not read or write.

So.

They could earn a living.

Many an idiot can read and write.

Many a wise man cannot.

nic34
04-24-2013, 05:23 PM
The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest.

Chris
04-24-2013, 05:47 PM
The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest.

“To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depths of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.”

~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Trinnity
04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
http://b-i.forbesimg.com/rickungar/files/2013/04/Lindsey_Graham1.jpg

Senator Lindsey Graham Says Suspend the Constitution For Boston Marathon Suspect And Designate Him An Enemy Combatant

Why is it that those who spend an inordinate amount of time professing their dedication and fealty to the United States Constitution seem to always be among the first to toss our founding document out the window the moment it becomes inconvenient to their desires?

I Because he's prolly the most progressive of the progressive RINOs in the R party and he should join the dems where he belongs. He's filth - just like the dems.

KC
04-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Sounds utopian.

Peter1469
04-24-2013, 07:00 PM

No. I don't hate anyone. I dislike those who swear an oath to support and defend the constitution, and then abandon it.

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Because he's prolly the most progressive of the progressive RINOs in the R party and he should join the dems where he belongs. He's filth - just like the dems.

Maybe the SC Dems will nominate Al Green for the Senate again.

Ivan88
04-25-2013, 02:03 AM
No election for those who swore to defend America and who treacherously do all they can to bring us tyranny. Such people should be immediately impeached/removed from office.

These over paid gurus of self centeredness swore to uphold the Constitution of America which is essentially the Rights of the American People. When they try to overthrow those rights, they are in rebellion to the American People.
Look at what they worship....fascism