PDA

View Full Version : Murder Suicides and the Economy

Conley
07-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Father kills 2 sons and himself, Chula Vista police say

The man was reportedly upset about financial problems and a custody battle. The killings are the third murder-suicide in San Diego County in a month.

On June 1, police found the bodies of Mary Alvarez, 41; her daughter Angelica, 12, and son Hamid, 11, in their three-story townhome in Chula Vista. Police believe they were strangled by Alvarez's former live-in boyfriend, Alfredo Almonte, 37, who then committed suicide by leaping off a freeway bridge in the Spring Valley area.

A week earlier, a family of four was found dead in the Paradise Hills neighborhood of San Diego. The bodies of the father and two daughters were found in the home's swimming pool, the mother's in the bathtub. Suicide notes, written by the mother and father, indicated that the family was in financial trouble.

Police believe that Alfredo Pimienta, 44, killed his daughters, Priscilla, 17, and Emily, 9, and his wife, Georgina, 38, before killing himself. The medical examiner has yet to announce the cause of death; toxicology tests are pending.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/22/local/la-me-0622-three-dead-20110622

I am seeing more and more of these types of stories, not just in San Diego but across the country. People are killing themselves and loved ones rather than becoming homeless. There is no excuse for murder. Regardless, it is clear that the state of the economy is taking a very real toll on our fellow Americans. Stories like this give the foreclosure numbers and unemployment rates a more human element, even if the current federal government would rather ignore them and pretend we've 'recovered'.

Mister D
07-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Yikes.

I don't get it though. They say the murderer was the father but then they say the live in boyfriend strangled everyone?

Mister D
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Oh, I see. I think they are going back and forth between the two tragedies.

MMC
07-03-2011, 02:55 PM
The worst part about it is the shit still hasnt hit the fan yet.....this country hasn't come to class warfare yet. Hopefully we will rise above and remain one. Divided we wall fall apart and become like the pack. Rabid with one another. Then this type of trajedy will not even be seen. Nothing but a common day occurence, but with numbers.

Conley
07-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Oh, I see. I think they are going back and forth between the two tragedies.

Sorry, I did a hack job on the cut and pastes. Basically there have been four murder suicides here since Jan I think, including three in one month, for an area that really doesn't see much of that sort of thing at all. Part of it is psychosis but part too I think is the extra stress from financial problems.

Conley
07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
The worst part about it is the shit still hasnt hit the fan yet.....this country hasn't come to class warfare yet. Hopefully we will rise above and remain one. Divided we wall fall apart and become like the pack. Rabid with one another. Then this type of trajedy will not even be seen. Nothing but a common day occurence, but with numbers.

Yes, obviously there are many differences between our society and the revolutions going on across the Middle East, but I think this explosion in income disparity is a parallel. If unemployment continues to rise and even those who are working don't have the money to make ends meet, there is no doubt they will take to the streets. I don't think it would change the natural order of our capitalist society, but it could very definitely result in tragedy on a wide scale. I think we are still at least a decade away from that. Some thought the "Great Recession" would be a wake up call, but really nothing has changed for the wealthiest Americans, while things continue to get worse for the lower classes.

MMC
07-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't see to many here building compounds, keeps and underground homes as of yet. So it may never come to pass. But if it does this Government is a living entity. It will strive for self preservation.

Already many have seen what will take place if anything does happen. Homeland Securitys first priorty wil be securing the government entity. If that means dividing by class and or region. This then will assist in it and them gaining control immediately. Pretty much they have come out and said by all means necessary. Until Law and Order is restored and maintained. :-\