PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich Eager for More Union Endorsements

Pendragon
11-28-2011, 03:05 PM
*** Can Gingrich capitalize on the Union Leader’s endorsement? As mentioned above, Gingrich won the conservative New Hampshire Union Leader’s endorsement, NBC’s Jo Ling Kent reported (http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/27/9047922-surging-newt-gingrich-nabs-new-hampshire-union-leaders-endorsement) yesterday. “Newt Gingrich is by no means the perfect candidate. But Republican primary voters too often make the mistake of preferring an unattainable ideal to the best candidate who is actually running,” the paper said, never once mentioning New Hampshire front-runner Mitt Romney (though criticizing politicians who tell voters “what he thinks we want to hear”). “In this incredibly important election, that candidate is Newt Gingrich. He has the experience, the leadership qualities and the vision to lead this country in these trying times. He is worthy of your support on Jan. 10.” The endorsement is the latest evidence that Gingrich’s campaign is surging, despite the scrutiny over his past work for Freddie Mac and his comments on illegal question. Here’s the big question for Gingrich: Can he capitalize on this momentum -- to start airing TV ads and hiring more campaign staffers in the early states? The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/us/politics/newly-popular-gingrich-tries-to-prove-hes-not-just-the-latest-anti-romney.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=politics) says his campaign has hired nine staffers in South Carolina and half a dozen in New Hampshire. But here’s another amazing stat: Gingrich hasn’t spent any money on paid ads in Iowa yet.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/28/9067021-first-thoughts-five-weeks-to-go

It is of great interest to me how the Republicans on the forum decry the Unions but refuse to recognize that it is not only the Democrats who "pay to play". There are greased palms everywhere during this campaign season.

Conley
11-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Gingrich has some good momentum going, that can't be denied.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
It also can't be denied that both parties are in the pockets of special interests be those interests union or otherwise.

Conley
11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh definitely. I was surprised by this article Pen posted but I don't doubt that the Unions will back a Republican when it serves their special interests.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Seems doubtful to me as well. Gingrich needs to be careful in the primaries though.

Conley
11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Seems doubtful to me as well. Gingrich needs to be careful in the primaries though.

Yes, and if that article is true he hasn't even paid for a TV ad in Iowa yet? It seems a victory there would do his campaign wonders. I'm not sure how he is doing in that state compared to Romney who has spent a lot of time there.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
This cold be used against him by Romney. I don't know...we saw Cain take off and crash. Not sure how Gingrich end up. He has a lot of campaign experience. You'd think he'd be well aware of what you just mentioned. Maybe we'll se some ads very soon. Or Iowans will anyway...

Conley
11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
If he's going to make a move there then yes, he should do it soon. If on the other hand he feels it's a lost cause then it may be smarter to go after New Hampshire (like he has with this endorsement) and South Carolina. It still seems like a long way off to me, and it seems like it's been a longer process then ever this time around. Remembering when Perry was the front runner seems like months and months ago, because it was! :laugh:

Mister D
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah, Perry was the first potential dark horse. Not happening! I thin he'll win in South Carolina but I'mjust basing that on his being a native southerner.

Conley
11-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Really? I thought Perry was dead everywhere. That would be interesting. All of this is so far away :(

Mister D
11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I mean Gingrich will win in SC. Perry is toast.

Conley
11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I mean Gingrich will win in SC. Perry is toast.

Oh, ok. That makes a lot more sense. :laugh:

Mister D
11-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Oh, ok. That makes a lot more sense. :laugh:

I doubt he'll even win Texas.

Conley
11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I doubt he'll even win Texas.

Dang, that is quite a fall.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Dang, that is quite a fall.

If it happens. I don't have a crystal ball. When is the Texas primary? I guess it will depend on that. If he can't win by then or is a long shot that will depress his turnout.

Conley
11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
That's true...the date is a huge factor. Such a ridiculous system. Iowa is more important than Texas. What?!?

Mister D
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
That's true...the date is a huge factor. Such a ridiculous system. Iowa is more important than Texas. What?!?

It's a weird system but I kind of like it. That's my disdain for democracy talking but we're better off with it.

Conley
11-28-2011, 07:49 PM
I dunno, I feel like the system is broken enough without a handful of Iowans deciding who our next president will be. That was a real reason Obama got in over Hillary, was it not?

Mister D
11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
I dunno, I feel like the system is broken enough without a handful of Iowans deciding who our next president will be. That was a real reason Obama got in over Hillary, was it not?

Making history is what got BO elected, IMO.

jgreer
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
It was historical. What a great time for America as we all came together.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 08:18 PM
It was historical. What a great time for America as we all came together.

We all came together? What was BO's % of the vote again?

Conley
11-28-2011, 08:21 PM
PWNED! :afro:

edit: BTW, The only one who came that night was Chris Matthews

Mister D
11-28-2011, 08:43 PM

:laugh: Now he feels like he was raped though...:undecided:

Conley
11-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Good! Even those who didn't vote for O feel that way.

wingrider
11-29-2011, 01:53 AM

LOL good one bro

Conley
11-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks Wing, I do what I can fighting the good fight. :wink: