PDA

View Full Version : Obama should blame Tea Party, not NRA, for gun control defeat

Chris
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
President Obama, according to his own telling, would have passed a gun control bill supported by nearly every American, but the National Rifle Association drove in trucks full of money and lobbyists, buying off senators.

Obama's story isn't true. The NRA doesn't work like the lobbies Obama is coziest with. And the NRA also wasn't the tip of the spear in the gun-rights fight this month. Here is the way things really went down:

The gun-rights resistance on Capitol Hill began in late March with two first-term Tea Party[-supported] senators declaring they would filibuster consideration of the gun-control bill. Sens. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, wrote a letter to Majority Leader Harry Reid explaining they would oppose invoking cloture on the "motion to proceed" to the bill. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., soon joined them.

That rump of three senators expanded to a platoon of 18 who eventually signed onto the letter. In the end, 29 Republicans and two Democrats opposed proceeding to the bill -- well short of the 41 needed for a filibuster. Many allies criticized this failed filibuster, but its leaders argue it was crucial to eventual victory....

The tea parties are alive and well, less taxes, smaller government, more liberty!

http://i.snag.gy/sdAVD.jpg

Cigar
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM
A brief break to reality ... The Bill was a Gun Safety Bill

I now return you to your regular scheduled program at Fox News

Chris
04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
A brief break to reality

Exactly, a respite from liberality.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
The tea parties are alive and well, less taxes, smaller government, more liberty!

http://i.snag.gy/sdAVD.jpg

The bill was designed to fail, so dems could wave the bloody shirts of Sandy Hook in 2014 and 2016.

Republicans won no victory, and "Tea Party" was not even a factor.

By defeating the bill, the Republicans lost the battle.

Once again, they took the bait and swallowed it hook, line and sinker, to the gut, fatally.

bladimz
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Someone please explain to me again exactly why this bill was voted down? What was in it that so threatened the 2nd amendment?

By the way, the TP element was of no real consequence.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Someone please explain to me again exactly why this bill was voted down? What was in it that so threatened the 2nd amendment?

Post a copy of the proposed bill, and we can begin.

bladimz
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Post a copy of the proposed bill, and we can begin.
http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/649/text

Done.

Chris
04-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Done.

Only a portion of the bill concerns background checks.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 06:06 PM

Done.

Much of that had little to do with background checks.

bladimz
04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Much of that had little to do with background checks.
So of the balance of the bill, what worries you to point the bill shouldn't have passed. Be specific and we can start... Just not now. I have to split.

Chris
04-29-2013, 06:56 PM
All of it.

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Greenridgeman;277945]The bill was designed to fail, so dems could wave the bloody shirts of Sandy Hook in 2014 and 2016.

Once again, they took the bait and swallowed it hook, line and sinker, to the gut, fatally.[/QUOTE

What Republican pays the prive for this issue!

There are lots of them that would have paid the price if they had passed this and the poision pills became law!

But in my area this is a looser for the Dems, not the republicans, I think that this might have play on the coasts, but that is dem country anyway!

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 07:09 PM

It had everything to do with the wording of the psycological conditions, and the open ended amendment tree!

Take those 2 things out and it sails through both houses!

Chris
04-29-2013, 07:15 PM
The bill was designed to fail, so dems could wave the bloody shirts of Sandy Hook in 2014 and 2016.

Once again, they took the bait and swallowed it hook, line and sinker, to the gut, fatally.

What Republican pays the prive for this issue!

There are lots of them that would have paid the price if they had passed this and the poision pills became law!

But in my area this is a looser for the Dems, not the republicans, I think that this might have play on the coasts, but that is dem country anyway!

Politicians should stick their noses out and pay a price. If they have nothing at stake then they're only in it for the power.

Where I am it's also a losing issue for Dems, unless you go to Dem strongholds like San Antonio or Austin.