PDA

View Full Version : WMD used in Middle East

killianr1
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Israel has clear evidence of Syrian President Bashar Assad's army using chemical weapons against rebels, a senior diplomatic source said Monday.

The official said the information is known to all intelligence agencies, and that there is no doubt the Assad regime had used weapons of mass destruction against opposition forces fighting to topple him.

Israel should be more concerned about the possibility of the chemical weapons leaking to Hezbollah or other terrorist groups in Lebanon, the official said.

He also estimated the civil war is a long-term conflict and will not be resolved quickly.

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Senior-official-Israel-has-proof-Syria-used-chem-weapons-311445 Now the question is what will Obama will do after his warning.

keymanjim
04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Senior-official-Israel-has-proof-Syria-used-chem-weapons-311445 Now the question is what will Obama will do after his warning.
Blame the TEA party.
Blame the Republicans in Congress.
Blame the previous administration.
Blame it on some obscure Youtube video.

You know, the usual stuff.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 03:37 PM

He will argue they crossed a pink line and not a red line yet.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 04:57 PM
This really should go to the United Nations in my opinion and let the world decide how to respond to Syria if they did in fact use weapons like that. We, nor Israel, are not the judge and jury. Whatever we do will affect more than just Syria and so it should involve everybody's input in my opinion.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 04:59 PM
I imagine that China and or Russia would block any movement in the Security Council.

keymanjim
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
This really should go to the United Nations in my opinion and let the world decide how to respond to Syria if they did in fact use weapons like that. We, nor Israel, are not the judge and jury. Whatever we do will affect more than just Syria and so it should involve everybody's input in my opinion.
And, in the unlikely event they decide to take action, our boys will be tapped to do the job.
I say, screw them. Let them sort out their own problems. It's well past the time when the US needed to stop being the world's police.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I imagine that China and or Russia would block any movement in the Security Council.

We won't know that for sure unless we try. Besides, we should exhaust every possibility before we even consider participating in murder and destruction. If it gets voted down then the world would have to put a different kind of pressure on Syria's president instead of bombs.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:03 PM

WE are not in range of Syria's chemical weapons, nor do they possess enough to annihilate us.

ISRAEL, on the other hand, could cease to exist in a week if the wrong people got those weapons.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
We won't know that for sure unless we try. Besides, we should exhaust every possibility before we even consider participating in murder and destruction. If it gets voted down then the world would have to put a different kind of pressure on Syria's president instead of bombs.

I am not advocating for the US to take overt military action.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Murder?

Not too prejudiced and bigoted are you?

keymanjim
04-29-2013, 05:04 PM
"The world" has no pressure to use without the might of the US military backing it.

And I say "NO!"

roadmaster
04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Every time we do anything it seems to only help the wrong ones. We need to stay out of this one and let other countries close get involved.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
I am not advocating for the US to take overt military action.

We have already taken more action than we should.

It is not in our interest to interfere, if chemical weapons need to be secured, let France do it, Syria is their baby, not ours.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Every time we do anything it seems to only help the wrong ones. We need to stay out of this one and let other countries close get involved.

Amen, and while Baathists and Islamists are slaughtering each other, neither are bothering anyone else.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 05:08 PM
WE are not in range of Syria's chemical weapons, nor do they possess enough to annihilate us.

ISRAEL, on the other hand, could cease to exist in a week if the wrong people got those weapons.

If Israel ceases to exist it also means that all muslims in Israel ceases to exist. They are not going to annihilate their own people while simultaneously giving all the sympathy in the world to the people that they would have killed in Israel (jews, christians, muslims, and so on). Assumptions like that are all based on fear and not really reality in my opinion. If the syrians wanted to kill jews in israel with chemical weapons they would have done it already by giving the weapons to different fighters. If syria used chemical weapons recently then it means that they already had them in the first place, so then the fear of them using them on israel is kind of pointless in my opinion since most likely those weapons would already be in the hands of people who would use them in Israel.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
"The world" has no pressure to use without the might of the US military backing it.

And I say "NO!"

We have no dog in this hunt, or in what goes on in Egypt.

We can't run our airports during sequester without a special act of Congress, we surely can't afford to fund AQ's revolutions for them.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Murder?

Not too prejudiced and bigoted are you?

What do you mean by that?

keymanjim
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
In situations like this there are no 'right' ones. Even if it seems like we are helping the 'good guys', a few years down the road they will be at our necks too.
Meanwhile, countries like France, Germany and England secretly urge us on while publicly condemning us.
Screw them. Screw the whole middle east. If anything we should encourage their self destruction. Maybe after they are almost extinct they will finally learn peace.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
If Israel ceases to exist it also means that all muslims in Israel ceases to exist. They are not going to annihilate their own people while simultaneously giving all the sympathy in the world to the people that they would have killed in Israel (jews, christians, muslims, and so on). Assumptions like that are all based on fear and not really reality in my opinion. If the syrians wanted to kill jews in israel with chemical weapons they would have done it already by giving the weapons to different fighters. If syria used chemical weapons recently then it means that they already had them in the first place, so then the fear of them using them on israel is kind of pointless in my opinion since most likely those weapons would already be in the hands of people who would use them in Israel.

Oh, they never kill their own people?

Should I bring up links to some of today's latest bombings.

They think the collateral damage goes straight to Allah.

And those chemical weapons can and will end up all over the place.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:13 PM
What do you mean by that?

Legitimate military action is not murder, and to imply so is insulting to US troops.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Legitimate military action is not murder, and to imply so is insulting to US troops.

Aren't you the same person that just said "we have no dog in this hunt"? How is killing someone that has done nothing to you and doesn't affect you in any way not murder? I'm not dismissing the act of using those weapons, that's separate in my mind right now, I am talking about killing people. Just because we have a flag on their sleeve does not make it right in my opinion. Who are we to determine what is legitimate on our own, unless of course we are the world police that everybody in this country loves to hate but still embraces it seems.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Aren't you the same person that just said "we have no dog in this hunt"? How is killing someone that has done nothing to you and doesn't affect you in any way not murder? I'm not dismissing the act of using those weapons, that's separate in my mind right now, I am talking about killing people. Just because we have a flag on their sleeve does not make it right in my opinion. Who are we to determine what is legitimate on our own, unless of course we are the world police that everybody in this country loves to hate but still embraces it seems.

The laws of war cover this. If a nation state follows the rules, they can wage war legally. If they fight it according to the rules killing in war is generally legal.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:21 PM

We were discussing a theoretical UN sanctioned action, as you called for before any US participation; then you prejudged that as murder.

We have no dog in that hunt, I do not think we should ever have stopped Muslims from killing Muslims anywhere.

Ransom
04-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Aren't you pro-choice? Have you not made your own determination on what is murder? And what isn't?

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
The laws of war cover this. If a nation state follows the rules, they can wage war legally. If they fight it according to the rules killing in war is generally legal.

Or murder if Chloe says so.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Using poison gas and other chemical weapons is "doing something to me", it is a crime against the humanity of which I am a part.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
We were discussing a theoretical UN sanctioned action, as you called for before any US participation; then you prejudged that as murder.

We have no dog in that hunt, I do not think we should ever have stopped Muslims from killing Muslims anywhere.

Actually when we don't get in the way, the Shia and Sunni kill each other instead of us. That is a good thing for the US.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Actually when we don't get in the way, the Shia and Sunni kill each other instead of us. That is a good thing for the US.

I totally agree, we should be fracking in California, and Saddam and the ayatollahs should still be going at each other down to the last rock and the last child soldier.

We would be much better off.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Would you cite a unilateral US military action in the mid-East in your lifetime please?

keymanjim
04-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I totally agree, we should be fracking in California, and Saddam and the ayatollahs should still be going at each other down to the last rock and the last child soldier.

We would be much better off.
Or coal gasification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_gasification). We have always had the largest coal deposits found anywhere on the planet.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Would you cite a unilateral US military action in the mid-East in your lifetime please?

You mean like by ourselves?

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
You mean like by ourselves?

Oh please, look up what unitlateral means if you are going to imply we unilaterally "murder" people.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh please, look up what unitlateral means if you are going to imply we unilaterally "murder" people.

I was just making sure but maybe it would be for the best if we just didn't keep going on this.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
I was just making sure but maybe it would be for the best if we just didn't keep going on this.

Why?

You like to use heated words like murder.

Does being confronted with what you say bother you?

Are the American troops that have guaranteed your freedom under Congressionally authorized orders from the CinC's murderers?

Or, maybe you could just say sorry to all the military men and women of all time that heard the call of duty, and did what their nations asked.

jillian
04-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Why?

Are the American troops that have guaranteed your freedom under Congressionally authorized orders from the CinC's murderers?

Or, maybe you could just say sorry to all the military men and women of all time that heard the call of duty, and did what their nations asked.

the last time american troops fought for our "freedom" was WW2.

or maybe you could just admit that the war in iraq was a dumbass move.

and maybe you should apologize to our military for sending them to fight an unnecessary war of choice and to suffer repeated deployments beyond anything our military has ever endured.

and be sure to thank the guy who hid out in the national guard during vietnam along with the guy who got five deferments who sent them into that unnecessary war of choice.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM

and maybe you should apologize to our military for sending them to fight an unnecessary war of choice and to suffer repeated deployments beyond anything our military has ever endured.

and be sure to thank the guy who hid out in the national guard during vietnam along with the guy who got five deferments who sent them into that unnecessary war of choice.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ransom
04-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Rachael warrior

jillian
04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Rachael warrior

i understand that the two of you have nothing to say unless the rightwingnut blogosphere tells you what to say.

the level of your tediousness however is unforgivable.

jillian
04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

because once again you have nothing to say.

cool...

pathetic...

but cool.

simpsonofpg
04-29-2013, 06:38 PM
I guess I am missing the point. WE have been using the expression WMD since 911. The A-bomb is a WMD a pipe bomb or aq steam kettle bomb is not a WMD. This is the weapson of choice in the ME because they can readily get the parts and they have schools where they can learn to put them together. I don't see peace in the Middle East in our time. They have been doing this for 1000's of years and they don't understand democracy or freedom in our terms.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Why?

No but your response is sort of why I wanted to maybe not keep this going.

I know I am not always the best with words, but you are taking one sentence that was completely related to Syria and you are making it into me insulting every military person that has ever served for all countries.

keymanjim
04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
i understand that the two of you have nothing to say unless the rightwingnut blogosphere tells you what to say.

the level of your tediousness however is unforgivable.
Says the girl that can't find the shift key on her keyboard.

Are you sure that you wouldn't be happier over at the "My Little Pony" boards?

Private Pickle
04-29-2013, 07:31 PM

So with regards to the OP...meh...Syria is an unredeeming country with a history and culture based on religious oppression...even their oil production sucks... Maybe if there was an international effort we could give in proportion to other nations for efforts...but the idea of the US supplying 95-100% of the manpower, machinery and money is out of the question. 2% of an effort that consits of 50 countries sounds about right.

As far as your statement, it's pretty insulting and associates the men and women of this country's armed forces with the political decisions of the asshole who happens to be in the White House at the time.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 07:39 PM
So with regards to the OP...meh...Syria is an unredeeming country with a history and culture based on religious oppression...even their oil production sucks... Maybe if there was an international effort we could give in proportion to other nations for efforts...but the idea of the US supplying 95-100% of the manpower, machinery and money is out of the question. 2% of an effort that consits of 50 countries sounds about right.

As far as your statement, it's pretty insulting and associates the men and women of this country's armed forces with the political decisions of the asshole who happens to be in the White House at the time.

Just for the sake of conversation isn't most war just basically legalized murder? I mean both sides believe that they have "right" on their side and so they sign a piece of paper or make a decree within their country's capital and suddenly someone is allowed to kill as many people as they want. I understand the need to legitimately defend yourself in the event of an unprovoked invasion or attack or something like that, but when you purposely decide to get involved in something that isn't concerning you doesn't that add a level of question to your amount of "right," and wouldn't that also put into question the justification for your role in the killing of other people?

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 07:56 PM

So how did you like being called a murderer????? I found it a bit insulting! go figure!

Chloe
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
I wasn't calling you guys murderers

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Why?

How about a few of the contractors, Not heros like the military, but still decided to go into harms way???

It is nice to know that I am now a murderer??? So I have that going for me?

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I guess I am missing the point. WE have been using the expression WMD since 911. The A-bomb is a WMD a pipe bomb or aq steam kettle bomb is not a WMD. This is the weapson of choice in the ME because they can readily get the parts and they have schools where they can learn to put them together. I don't see peace in the Middle East in our time. They have been doing this for 1000's of years and they don't understand democracy or freedom in our terms.

They are discussing Sarin nerve agent in Syria. That is a WMD by definition, although admittedly not all that affective in an uncontrolled environment.

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Weather it was a war of choice or not has nothing to due witht he respect that our troops deserve! take it out on me and my fellow contractor if you want we did it for the money! but the troops at least the ones that I had the pleasure of meeting, not only volenteered to go to Iraq and Afganistan, but turely beievle that they have made you safer in this country! They deserve respect and your gratitude, not to be called a murderer!

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
So how did you like being called a murderer????? I found it a bit insulting! go figure!

I didn't take it that way.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
I wasn't calling you guys murderers

No offense taken by me.

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I didn't take it that way.

Of course we all already know this but you are once again a better man than I am!

I grow weary of those that will defend those that wish they were dead! I am becomeing very intolerant of this attitude! I love kids so much and to se people try and defend thsoe that think it a ligimate tactic to place a bomb next to an 8 year old and his sister???

Then rationalze the use of nerve gas against people of any background?

This is the same apeasment that caused WWII and the mass murder of millions of jews? It is stupidity! And I grow weary of it!

roadmaster
04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
I hear they came close to shooting down a Russian passenger plane of around 200 passengers.

Common
04-29-2013, 08:17 PM
And, in the unlikely event they decide to take action, our boys will be tapped to do the job.
I say, screw them. Let them sort out their own problems. It's well past the time when the US needed to stop being the world's police.

Yup our guys will have to go and do it and we will have to pay for it anyway, the un is garbage, they should throw them all out of NY they cost us a fortune

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
I hear they came close to shooting down a Russian passenger plane of around 200 passengers.

I hate to say this, but it is the only hpe that we have! if they actually pull of a successful attack against the Russians or Chinese, they will take the required actions!

The politically correct crowd in this country have made us quite worthless when it comes to fighting terrorists!

It is really sad actually!

Chloe
04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Of course we all already know this but you are once again a better man than I am!

I grow weary of those that will defend those that wish they were dead! I am becomeing very intolerant of this attitude! I love kids so much and to se people try and defend thsoe that think it a ligimate tactic to place a bomb next to an 8 year old and his sister???

This is the same apeasment that caused WWII and the mass murder of millions of jews? It is stupidity! And I grow weary of it!

There are only so many people on here that this could be directed at. I didn't defend the boston bombers and I didn't rationalize the use of nerve gas.

Private Pickle
04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Just for the sake of conversation isn't most war just basically legalized murder? I mean both sides believe that they have "right" on their side and so they sign a piece of paper or make a decree within their country's capital and suddenly someone is allowed to kill as many people as they want. I understand the need to legitimately defend yourself in the event of an unprovoked invasion or attack or something like that, but when you purposely decide to get involved in something that isn't concerning you doesn't that add a level of question to your amount of "right," and wouldn't that also put into question the justification for your role in the killing of other people?

Not really.

"War is politics by other means." - Clausewitz

Iraq had justification for war written all over it. Many tend to defer to the questions of Al Queda presence, WMD and Saddam reasons for both going to war and not going to war...those are all over simplified versions of the truth propagated by politicians to spoon feed the American masses...

Bottom line, Iraq was a gap country...one of a handful of countries that won't play nice with the rest of the world and have impact on the global economy.

zelmo1234
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
There are only so many people on here that this could be directed at. I didn't defend the boston bombers and I didn't rationalize the use of nerve gas.

It was more about the media and what is happening on the talk shows and news programs! We have politicians that refuse to call it terrorism!

Sorry it was not directed at you! though I do feel you have a very great set of rose colored glasses! And sorry if I am a little sensative today! lost a friend and found out today! I guess that reality hits home harder for some!

Chloe
04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Aren't you pro-choice? Have you not made your own determination on what is murder? And what isn't?

The two are not even close to being related

Private Pickle
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM

At least it isn't me! :notme:

Chloe
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
At least it isn't me! :notme:

Ok that actually made me laugh

Private Pickle
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Ok that actually made me laugh

:yo2:

roadmaster
04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
lost a friend and found out today! I guess that reality hits home harder for some! Sorry for your loss.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 08:51 PM

This is not analogous to the appeasement that caused WWII. Syrians killing Syrians is an internal issue- we should protest it and use diplomatic means, but not overt military action.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
How about a few of the contractors, Not heros like the military, but still decided to go into harms way???

It is nice to know that I am now a murderer??? So I have that going for me?

I think of Nick Berg getting his throat slit when I think of murder.

Private Pickle
04-29-2013, 08:53 PM
This is not analogous to the appeasement that caused WWII. Syrians killing Syrians is an internal issue- we should protest it and use diplomatic means, but not overt military action.

Problem is...no matter who wins that conflict...the USA still loses...

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I think of Nick Berg getting his throat slit when I think of murder.

Berg got a bit more than a slit throat....

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 08:54 PM

Only if you get to make the definitions.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Apparently if the CinC were to order action there, resulting deaths would be murder to Chloe though.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Berg got a bit more than a slit throat....

Al-Zarqawi got his though.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 08:57 PM

This has happened a couple of times over the last several years. Luckily it hasn't worked.

Chloe
04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Only if you get to make the definitions.

Everybody makes their own definitions, especially when it comes to abortion, but that's a whole other thing.

Greenridgeman
04-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Everybody makes their own definitions, especially when it comes to abortion, but that's a whole other thing.

Best philosophy toward abortion for a man is to STFU and not cause one, and for a woman, to use her head and the freedom we have in this country not to need one.

roadmaster
04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
This has happened a couple of times over the last several years. Luckily it hasn't worked. They must know the difference.

Peter1469
04-29-2013, 09:24 PM
They must know the difference.

We have flooded the arms market with crap surface to air missiles. I suspect that is why they have all failed.

simpsonofpg
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I am guessing that at the Islamic University you can get a degree in bomb making and killing innocent people. How many does a device have to kill before it qualifes as a WMD