PDA

View Full Version : Is The U.S. Spending Enough On Education?

Mainecoons
05-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Given the constant chatter from the Obama administration and from teachers' unions on the need to spend more for public education, let's address the question "Is the US spending enough on education?"
Read more at http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/04/is-us-spending-enough-on-education.html#xG12UtOS24y3ldtP.99

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WdYDCTvQfLM/UX9lyy-luVI/AAAAAAAAVus/M2XDrr9KCyE/s320/US+population+and+Children+Population.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4BXr1XggqaE/UX9n8E6tDvI/AAAAAAAAVu8/x9qMpEqF7zU/s320/Education+Spending+Per+Child.png

3. US Total Population and Children Population - Pct. Right Axis -- The chart shows children as a percentage of the population plummeting from 1964 - where they peaked at over 36% to today where they are just 24% of the population. The number of children in '64 was about 69.7 million, today up to 76.7 million, a growth of 7 million while the overall population grew 123.7 million! The real problem here is that a growing economy is always dependent on the growth of the upcoming population. We are in deep trouble here.

4. Number of Children and Per Child Spending On Education in Constant 2009-10 Dollars -- I cannot understand how this spending, so absurdly high, is continually pointed out as too little to spend on education! In constant dollars we are spending 7 times the amount on education as the 1950's - the generation of students that put the man on the moon, invented computers, the list goes on and on. At 1/7th the cost!

Note that last sentence, gentle readers. Conversely, at 7 times the cost, we seem to now have a bunch of folks who can't think coherently, learn from mistakes or express themselves concisely in complete sentences with correct spelling and punctuation.

patrickt
05-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Since spending more is the only arrow in the liberal quiver they're screwed. That's why they push so hard for zero accountability for results with teachers.

Common
05-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I agree with you on this one, we spend way to much on NON educational indoctrination than we do on the actual 3 Rs of old and call it education. There are only so many hours in the day for kids to go to school, if you deduct recess, in between class movements and lunch theres even less. Educators need to TEACH and not indoctrinate. In all fairness to teachers its not them setting the agenda they have to teach it like it or not.
Then theres the illegal immigrant education we pay for etc.

Cigar
05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen; may I please have a show of hands.

How many of you, that have children going to school or are going to school yourselves, had their or yours education cost go down ... ever in your natural born lives?

lynn
05-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Expenses is outpacing revenue (wages) and if we continue on this path, no one will be able to afford to go to college.

Greenridgeman
05-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Expenses is outpacing revenue (wages) and if we continue on this path, no one will be able to afford to go to college.

All in the name of getting more people into college.

When I was in college, you made a basic ACT/SAT score to get in, or did not get in.

Today open admissions is the rule and colleges have to deal with people that have no chance of ever graduating.

I never paid more than $250 a semester at the best public university in America, the University of Texas at Austin.

Now, everybody gets a chance at flunking out and running up a big bill they cannot pay.

Fees per semester now exceed $4000.

It is ridiculous.

TheDictator
05-01-2013, 09:30 AM

When I was in college, you made a basic ACT/SAT score to get in, or did not get in.

Today open admissions is the rule and colleges have to deal with people that have no chance of ever graduating.

I never paid more than $250 a semester at the best public university in America, the University of Texas at Austin.

Now, everybody gets a chance at flunking out and running up a big bill they cannot pay.

It is ridiculous.

Wow, I only payed $1000 at Texas A&M - Texarkana for post grad. class last year. I believe UT is the most Liberal school in Texas, I know Austin is the most Liberal city.

Taxcutter
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
The US spends too much and gets too little from it.

Time to introduce some competition into the process.

Cigar
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen; may I please have a show of hands.

How many of you, that have children going to school or are going to school yourselves, had their or yours education cost go down ... ever in your natural born lives?

I didn't thing so ...

Now ... how much are you paying for Internet Service :grin: and is it the same for you every year?

Cigar
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM
The US spends too much and gets too little from it.

Time to introduce some competition into the process.

... your local schools aren't doing that well?

Taxcutter
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
They aren't worth a hoot and cost way too much.

patrickt
05-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Cigar: "I didn't thing so ...

Now ... how much are you paying for Internet Service :grin: and is it the same for you every year?"

That's hilarious. No, Cigar, it keeps getting cheaper with better service. Just stay away from Comcast. Now schools keep getting more expensive with worse service.

Mainecoons
05-01-2013, 05:01 PM

It is ridiculous.

Hook 'em Horns!

UT, Master of Environmental Engineering, 1970!

Pay no attention to that Aggie poster following yours! :rofl:

Greenridgeman
05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow, I only payed $1000 at Texas A&M - Texarkana for post grad. class last year. I believe UT is the most Liberal school in Texas, I know Austin is the most Liberal city.

I graduated in 1976, got my ass out.

Austin was ruined long before then, but, once was a great place before it became Californicated.

You cannot even take your kids to Zilker Park anymore but for the geriatric gay exhibitionists in their thongs with bare buttcheeks.

Greenridgeman
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Hook 'em Horns!

I speak to them out of sympathy.

keymanjim
05-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Here in New Jersey, we spend too much for "education". But, that's because the NEA holds the balls of every democrats in Trenton. The result of which is that we now have 603 individual school districts. 13 of which don't even have schools in them. Yet, each one has a superintendent making $168,000 a year. Even the ones where there are no schools.
How do they keep this system going? By telling parents that they shouldn't have to give up the illusion of "home rule".
And, every year 73% of my property taxes go to feed this bloated system.

TheDictator
05-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Hook 'em Horns!

I'm not an Aggie. BS from SFA I was taking MS classes at Texas A M Texarkana, They are the Eagles.

Greenridgeman
05-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm not an Aggie. BS from SFA I was taking MS classes at Texas A M Texarkana, They are the Eagles.

Your honor is partially restored.

Classes at A&M Texarkana still cast suspicion and raise questions.

Mainecoons
05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Only partly but he's right, Austin has become a liberal canker in the middle of Texas.

When I went to UT Austin was the neatest place to live I've ever seen. Had a cheapo apartment two blocks south of the main drag, two block from Scholz's beer garden. We'd race down there after the games and soak up the pitchers. Zilker was fantastic, loved to go there to escape the heat.

Austin is way too big now and, as noted, infected with leftist trash.

A&M is much less so and the best damn civil engineering school in the country. Aggie engineers may be a danger to sheep but they sure can build roads and other stuff.

I have a fond feeling for Aggies because one of the ways I put myself through school was to buy outhouses and rent the basements out to Aggies. :rofl:

Greenridgeman
05-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Only partly but he's right, Austin has become a liberal canker in the middle of Texas.

When I went to UT Austin was the neatest place to live I've ever seen. Had a cheapo apartment two blocks south of the main drag, two block from Scholz's beer garden. We'd race down there after the games and soak up the pitchers. Zilker was fantastic, loved to go there to escape the heat.

Austin is way too big now and, as noted, infected with leftist trash.

A&M is much less so and the best damn civil engineering school in the country. Aggie engineers may be a danger to sheep but they sure can build roads and other stuff.

I have a fond feeling for Aggies because one of the ways I put myself through school was to buy outhouses and rent the basements out to Aggies. :rofl:

Well, I bet you can't cruise gay bars in College Station.

I left Austin when "Progressive country music" hit, have not looked back.

simpsonofpg
05-04-2013, 06:18 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WdYDCTvQfLM/UX9lyy-luVI/AAAAAAAAVus/M2XDrr9KCyE/s320/US+population+and+Children+Population.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4BXr1XggqaE/UX9n8E6tDvI/AAAAAAAAVu8/x9qMpEqF7zU/s320/Education+Spending+Per+Child.png

Note that last sentence, gentle readers. Conversely, at 7 times the cost, we seem to now have a bunch of folks who can't think coherently, learn from mistakes or express themselves concisely in complete sentences with correct spelling and punctuation.

Are you speaking about the students or administrator. We can't teach because students can behave and they can't learn because there are no consequences for failure. We start early giving out trophy's for show up.

Mister D
05-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Our education problem is similar to our gun problem. When blacks and browns are taken out of the equation the problem disappears.

Greenridgeman
05-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Are you speaking about the students or administrator. We can't teach because students can behave and they can't learn because there are no consequences for failure. We start early giving out trophy's for show up.

When failing grades are banned, everybody makes the Honor Roll.

Just like everybody on the 0-20 t-ball team still gets a trophy.

Greenridgeman
05-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Our education problem is similar to our gun problem. When blacks and browns are taken out of the equation the problem disappears.

I don't know about that, seems equal opportunity and NO CHILD ALLOWED AHEAD have dumbed them all down.

Mister D
05-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't know about that, seems equal opportunity and NO CHILD ALLOWED AHEAD have dumbed them all down.

White and Asian students do just fine overall. It's just another one of those benefits we derive from diversity.

Greenridgeman
05-04-2013, 06:28 PM

No consequences for bad behavior in a lot of schools.

Many administrators tell teachers it is their job to teach what the home did not teach, if the kid acts up, it is the teachers fault for not foreseeing the bad behavior and heading it off.

I got to where I let the ones that did not want to be there sleep.