PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix rolling out largest gun buy-back in city history

nic34
05-02-2013, 11:59 AM
PHOENIX -- Over the next three Saturdays, Phoenix will be hosting the largest gun buyback program in the city's history.

On Monday, Gov. Jan Brewer signed a law that keeps cities from destroying guns collected during buy-backs but that law doesn't take effect until 90 days after the current legislative session ends. Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said guns turned over in the Phoenix events will be melted down.

"We will check the guns to see if they've been stolen or used in the crime and then destroy them within this 90-day period."

Martos said the city initially intended to offer gift cards for people turning in high-capacity magazines but that has been scrapped to allow the bulk of the gift cards to be used on firearms.

"We would prefer that people bringing in the firearms have them in the glovebox or trunk or bed of a pickup and unloaded. We don't want people approaching these events with guns in their hands."

http://ktar.com/22/1631105/Phoenix-rolls-out-gun-buyback-this-weekend

Trying to rid the city of usless crime guns sounds like a good idea... except to ol' Governor boney finger sucking up to the nra lobbyists.

Greenridgeman
05-02-2013, 12:03 PM
PHOENIX -- Over the next three Saturdays, Phoenix will be hosting the largest gun buyback program in the city's history.

On Monday, Gov. Jan Brewer signed a law that keeps cities from destroying guns collected during buy-backs but that law doesn't take effect until 90 days after the current legislative session ends. Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said guns turned over in the Phoenix events will be melted down.

"We will check the guns to see if they've been stolen or used in the crime and then destroy them within this 90-day period."

Martos said the city initially intended to offer gift cards for people turning in high-capacity magazines but that has been scrapped to allow the bulk of the gift cards to be used on firearms.

"We would prefer that people bringing in the firearms have them in the glovebox or trunk or bed of a pickup and unloaded. We don't want people approaching these events with guns in their hands."

http://ktar.com/22/1631105/Phoenix-rolls-out-gun-buyback-this-weekend

Trying to rid the city of usless crime guns sounds like a good idea... except to ol' Governor boney finger sucking up to the nra lobbyists.

This should help a lot of gangbangers upgrade from Saturday night Specials.

Reminds me of Cash for Clunkers.

Mister D
05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Reminds me of Forum Fodder for Morons. It's still classified so don't tell anyone I mentioned it.

BillyBob
05-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Seattle Gun BuyBack Gets JACKED! Turns Into a Damn Gun Show!

Police officers in Seattle, Washington held their first gun buyback program in 20 years this weekend, underneath interstate 5, and soon found that private gun collectors were working the large crowd as little makeshift gun showsbegan dotting the parking lot and sidewalks. Some even had “cash for guns” signs prominently displayed.
Police stood in awe as gun enthusiasts and collectors waved wads of cash for the guns being held by those standing in line for the buyback program.
People that had arrived to trade in their weapons for $100 or $200 BuyBack gift cards($100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and $200 for assault weapons) soon realized that gun collectors were there and paying top dollar for collectible firearms. So, as the line for the chump cards got longer and longer people began to jump ship and head over to the dealers.
John Diaz, Seattles Police Chief, wasn’t pleased with the turn of events stating “I’d prefer they wouldn’t sell them,” but admitted it’s perfectly legal for private individuals to buy and sell guns, FOR NOW. Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference the private transactions are a loophole that needs to be closed. “There’s no background checks, and some (guns) could be exchanged on the streets that shouldn’t be in circulation.”
But Schuyler Taylor, a previous gun retailer attending the event in hopes of buying weapons, asked “Why not offer them cash versus a gift card? I’m still taking the guns off the streets; they’re just going in my safe.”
People were reportedly, at one point, jumping out of vehicles whilst sitting in traffic – making on the spot deals with the gun buyers.

http://dcxposed.com/2013/01/27/seattle-gun-buyback-gets-jacked-turns-into-a-damn-gun-show-lol/

LOL!!!!

Chris
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Trying to rid the city of usless crime guns....

How do you, nic, know they are crime guns?

Even your story say the police much check to determine that.

Greenridgeman
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Seattle Gun BuyBack Gets JACKED! Turns Into a Damn Gun Show!

Police officers in Seattle, Washington held their first gun buyback program in 20 years this weekend, underneath interstate 5, and soon found that private gun collectors were working the large crowd as little makeshift gun showsbegan dotting the parking lot and sidewalks. Some even had “cash for guns” signs prominently displayed.
Police stood in awe as gun enthusiasts and collectors waved wads of cash for the guns being held by those standing in line for the buyback program.
People that had arrived to trade in their weapons for $100 or $200 BuyBack gift cards($100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and $200 for assault weapons) soon realized that gun collectors were there and paying top dollar for collectible firearms. So, as the line for the chump cards got longer and longer people began to jump ship and head over to the dealers.
John Diaz, Seattles Police Chief, wasn’t pleased with the turn of events stating “I’d prefer they wouldn’t sell them,” but admitted it’s perfectly legal for private individuals to buy and sell guns, FOR NOW. Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference the private transactions are a loophole that needs to be closed. “There’s no background checks, and some (guns) could be exchanged on the streets that shouldn’t be in circulation.”
But Schuyler Taylor, a previous gun retailer attending the event in hopes of buying weapons, asked “Why not offer them cash versus a gift card? I’m still taking the guns off the streets; they’re just going in my safe.”
People were reportedly, at one point, jumping out of vehicles whilst sitting in traffic – making on the spot deals with the gun buyers.

http://dcxposed.com/2013/01/27/seattle-gun-buyback-gets-jacked-turns-into-a-damn-gun-show-lol/

LOL!!!!

Ain't freedom great!

roadmaster
05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Wonder if they make sure the person selling the gun is the legal owner. Seems more like a sting to me and some may be arrested.

Greenridgeman
05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Wonder if they make sure the person selling the gun is the legal owner. Seems more like a sting to me and some may be arrested.

Hey, the felons with outstanding warrants got wise to "Free Crack Giveaways", give the cops credit for a new approach.

Any links to how many buy-backs were of stolen guns?

BillyBob
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Ain't freedom great!

Yep! Enjoy it while you can.

roadmaster
05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Hey, the felons with outstanding warrants got wise to "Free Crack Giveaways", give the cops credit for a new approach.

Any links to how many buy-backs were of stolen guns? Don't have the link but I am sure you can find them, one in Jacksonville FL. over 300 guns were stolen that were turned in. I only remember this because one man found his antique gun that had been stolen in the 70's.

simpsonofpg
05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I think this is a good idea. They can buy them back and give them to Holder to dispose of. Even Obama would love that we couldn't blame him for spending a lot of money on the plan.

Greenridgeman
05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Don't have the link but I am sure you can find them, one in Jacksonville FL. over 300 guns were stolen that were turned in. I only remember this because one man found his antique gun that had been stolen in the 70's.

I wonder if they arrest people trying to sell a stolen gun in a buyback program?

Chris
05-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I think this is a good idea. They can buy them back and give them to Holder to dispose of. Even Obama would love that we couldn't blame him for spending a lot of money on the plan.

You mean like sell them to the Mexican Mafia? :rollseyes:

Ivan88
05-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Trying to rid the city of usless crime guns sounds like a good idea...

Should start disarmament with the Israelis, don't you think?

simpsonofpg
05-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a great plan, supply and demand economics at it best. I think this could be a really money maker for Seattle. I wonder is they are collecting sales tax from the private sellers. Don't you just love capitalism?