PDA

View Full Version : Moderation

Chris
05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I see and hear there are still misunderstanding about how we moderate here after http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/12539-Hi-I-m-a-Mod-and-I-ll-Answer-Any-Questions, so I thought I'd reiterate and hopefully clarify a few points.

One, when is a mod a member and when a mod?

Simple, when a mod posts something in a warning box like this below then he or she is posting as a mod:

Danger, Will Rogers!

All the rest of the time the mod is posting as a member.

Two, who is responsible for finding and reporting violations of rules and guidelines?

Simple as well, you are.

A mod might see some violation and report it as a member. But mods don't spend their time doing that, it's not part of the job description. It's your job.

Three, what do mods do?

Mods as a team review issues and decide what action to take based not on the person so much as the behavior at issue. Mods also look at the context, to see if your behavior was provoked, and may issue warning to more than one or just a general warning. Mods also look at the context of repeated offenses where stronger action might be required.

The mod who issues a moderator warning or sends a moderation PM is just the mod who the team selected or volunteered to do it.

As such, it's not personal.

Four, what should you do if warned?

The first thing to do is change your behavior so you don't get warned or worse.

The second thing you can do is PM one of the mods to discuss it. Mods make mistakes, and we don't always agree with each other, so you should feel free without recrimination to argue your case.

It's suggested however that you focus on your case, not on other members, and focus on resolving the issue amicably, not antagonistically.

And if you think someone else deserves a warning, well, go back to point two above, report it.

There, that's all I can think of. I will entertain questions and concerns.

Greenridgeman
05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I see and hear there are still misunderstanding about how we moderate here after http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/12539-Hi-I-m-a-Mod-and-I-ll-Answer-Any-Questions, so I thought I'd reiterate and hopefully clarify a few points.

One, when is a mod a member and when a mod?

Simple, when a mod posts something in a warning box like this below then he or she is posting as a mod:

Danger, Will Rogers!

All the rest of the time the mod is posting as a member.

Two, who is responsible for finding and reporting violations of rules and guidelines?

Simple as well, you are.

A mod might see some violation and report it as a member. But mods don't spend their time doing that, it's not part of the job description. It's your job.

Three, what do mods do?

Mods as a team review issues and decide what action to take based not on the person so much as the behavior at issue. Mods also look at the context, to see if your behavior was provoked, and may issue warning to more than one or just a general warning. Mods also look at the context of repeated offenses where stronger action might be required.

The mod who issues a moderator warning or sends a moderation PM is just the mod who the team selected or volunteered to do it.

As such, it's not personal.

Four, what should you do if warned?

The first thing to do is change your behavior so you don't get warned or worse.

The second thing you can do is PM one of the mods to discuss it. Mods make mistakes, and we don't always agree with each other, so you should feel free without recrimination to argue your case.

It's suggested however that you focus on your case, not on other members, and focus on resolving the issue amicably, not antagonistically.

And if you think someone else deserves a warning, well, go back to point two above, report it.

There, that's all I can think of. I will entertain questions and concerns.

I just love the way the pink highlights the offending post, and draws attention to it.

BillyBob
05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Pink is gay.

Dr. Who
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Pink is gay.

Tiresome.

Greenridgeman
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Tiresome.

You are forced to read his posts?

BillyBob
05-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Tiresome.

Seems to be the topic of the day.

KC
05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
I would like to add that we are volunteer moderators-- our reward is hopefully having a better forum than it would otherwise be. Please remember that and, if possible, make our jobs easier by reporting offending posts and/or conveying information to moderators rather than fighting it out in threads or airing someone's dirty laundry.

In short, help us help you.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 09:12 AM
I would like to add that we are volunteer moderators-- our reward is hopefully having a better forum than it would otherwise be. Please remember that and, if possible, make our jobs easier by reporting offending posts and/or conveying information to moderators rather than fighting it out in threads or airing someone's dirty laundry.

In short, help us help you.

You guys want to get pissy, close threads that are just an attempt to jumpstart the board, ban socks that just add a little flair to the place, and you want help with that crap.

And the mods that let their personal prejudices dictate actions are ruining the place

Deny it all you want, but you know what is going on here lately.

I think I'd rather just unsubscribe to the site than cooperate with some current moderators.

BillyBob
05-06-2013, 09:18 AM
make our jobs easier by reporting offending posts

Bad policy. Hey, people get offended about the stupidest shit, there's no stopping that. I can just imagine how quickly some of the ultra-fascists like Jillian will start reporting every little thing that offends them.

If preventing people from posting something offensive is the criteria of this forum, then you won't have one left in 2 days.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Bad policy. Hey, people get offended about the stupidest shit, there's no stopping that. I can just imagine how quickly some of the ultra-fascists like Jillian will start reporting every little thing that offends them.

If preventing people from posting something offensive is the criteria of this forum, then you won't have one left in 2 days.

In a nation of THREE HUNDRED MILLION+, there are SEVENTEEN members here.

Now, look at the liberal high five clusterfuck boards, where no dissent from the party line is tolerated.

Those boards have HUNDREDS present, and thousands viewing.

I guess that is becoming the model for this place.

Chris
05-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Reports don't automatically result in warnings etc. They result in mods reviewing the report. Many times we PM back asking for specific violation. Many times we PM back it's not a violation.

The purpose of a report is to call our attention to a potential issue.

Chris
05-06-2013, 09:29 AM
In a nation of THREE HUNDRED MILLION+, there are SEVENTEEN members here.

Now, look at the liberal high five clusterfuck boards, where no dissent from the party line is tolerated.

Those boards have HUNDREDS present, and thousands viewing.

I guess that is becoming the model for this place.

Did you have a question about moderation or how things are done here?

BillyBob
05-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Reports don't automatically result in warnings etc. They result in mods reviewing the report. Many times we PM back asking for specific violation. Many times we PM back it's not a violation.

The purpose of a report is to call our attention to a potential issue.

You guys see enough 'issues' as it is. If anything, this board needs LESS moderation, not more.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Did you have a question about moderation or how things are done here?

No, I understand exactly what is going on here.

Why do you think the dozen or so people I referred here refused to join?

Chris
05-06-2013, 09:36 AM
No, I understand exactly what is going on here.

Why do you think the dozen or so people I referred here refused to join?

It's my impression you understand little of how things are here.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
It's my impression you understand little of how things are here.

My impression is that you are the biggest problem this board has.

nic34
05-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Most of the time I don't care what the mods say, I'll point out childish name calling like this for the trashy posts they are....

Just sayin....

BillyBob
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Most of the time I don't care what the mods say, I'll point out childish name calling like this for the trashy posts they are....

Just sayin....

I find this post offensive. Mods, please ban this person.

Chris
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Just sayin....

And that's perfectly acceptable. There's no requirement to report anything. The point is it's not the mods' job to look for it.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 10:40 AM
And that's perfectly acceptable. There's no requirement to report anything. The point is it's not the mods' job to look for it.

You cause half the confusion.

Somebody makes what you call an ad hom, and you come in with cute crap like "how many points do you want for that".

Since point for infractions are how board discipline is enforced sometimes, how is a poster to know where you are coming from.

This thread is another example.

A poster handed you your ass, and next thing, there was this thread.

I am sure you do not see it as some of us do.

That is why I dub you a contrarian.

In the most negative sense of the word, too.

KC
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM

Somebody makes what you call an ad hom, and you come in with cute crap like "how many points do you want for that".

Since point for infractions are how board discipline is enforced sometimes, how is a poster to know where you are coming from.

"How many points..." whatever that means, has nothing to do with moderation on this board.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 10:44 AM
"How many points..." whatever that means, has nothing to do with moderation on this board.

Then why does my profile page say I have 3 points for an infraction, wise ass?

KC
05-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Because you repeatedly violate forum rules. Read them and know them. Whatever Chris means by "how many points," it's not meant to threaten an infraction. I understand how it could be confusing though.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Because you repeatedly violate forum rules. Read them and know them. Whatever Chris means by "how many points," it's not meant to threaten an infraction. I understand how it could be confusing though.

Thank you for confirming my post.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM

I think I have gotten 1 infraction.

Chris
05-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Asking people how many points they want for personal attacks is an attempt at humor.

For the rest, seems to be what you envision for a forum, a place for personal squabbles. Not interested in that kind of forum.

Greenridgeman
05-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Asking people how many points they want for personal attacks is an attempt at humor.

For the rest, seems to be what you envision for a forum, a place for personal squabbles. Not interested in that kind of forum.

Your frequent engagement if pointless piss fights indicates otherwise.

Chris
05-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Because infractions are worth 3 points, whatever that means.

I suggest you stop the childish name calling.

BillyBob
05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I had a post moved to the Hole. We were discussing Islam and I made the obvious observation that Islamist worship satan. Not only is that my opinion, but it is the opinion of millions of people.

But for some reason we have to tip toe around the issues and be careful not to offend the muzzies.

What a load of crap!

Chris
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I had a post moved to the Hole. We were discussing Islam and I made the obvious observation that Islamist worship satan. Not only is that my opinion, but it is the opinion of millions of people.

But for some reason we have to tip toe around the issues and be careful not to offend the muzzies.

What a load of crap!

This is not the place to address specific moderation issues, use PMs.

KC
05-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I think I have gotten 1 infraction.

Yes, on infraction for multiple, repeated rule violations. We seldom give infractions.

nic34
05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Greenie and B-BoB, you guys need a life....

Cigar
05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Greenie and B-BoB, you guys need a life....

I'm afraid this is their Life. :laugh:

Micketto
05-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm afraid this is their Life. :laugh:

.... says Mr. 14,000+ posts about 2 guys who total a little more than 4,000

Gotta love irony.

:)

Chris
05-06-2013, 02:56 PM
This thread is about moderation.

Micketto
05-06-2013, 03:54 PM
This thread is about moderation.

Who are you replying to? Since this site doesn't say, and you haven't either.

Chris
05-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Who are you replying to? Since this site doesn't say, and you haven't either.

To any who want to stray off topic.

Micketto
05-06-2013, 06:19 PM
To any who want to stray off topic.

Yawn... guess sometimes it's just better not knowing.

junie
05-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Yawn... guess sometimes it's just better not knowing.

gee who knew it was so confusing to keep track of posts viewed in timely succession... :thinking: