PDA

View Full Version : Red-State Democrats Buck Obama On Social Security Cuts

Common
05-07-2013, 05:08 AM
This is an old game played by both parties. Second Term president pushs for something unpopular with his base and his party goes against him for an election boost. This has been practiced by both parties forever.
Make The president <obama or whoever> the bad guy who cant run for re election, to bolster those in congress that are.

- The majority of Senate Democrats running for reelection in 2014, including three running in red states, have broken with President Barack Obama and are opposing his effort to cut Social Security benefits, imperiling the austerity project known as the "grand bargain." In his most recent budget proposal, Obama included a measure to reduce the cost-of-living adjustment related to senior and veterans benefits as a compromise offer to Republicans. He had already put so-called chained CPI on the table during both debt ceiling and fiscal cliff negotiations with House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), and defended his move (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/10/chained-cpi-obama-democrats_n_3055343.html?1365628491) this time by emphasizing it was a reform "championed by Republicans leaders in Congress" that would only be made in exchange for new tax revenues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/democrats-social-security_n_3224503.html

patrickt
05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Keep in mind a "cut" in libspeak is a reduction in planned future spending. It is not a reduction from what is actually being spent. It's like my ex-wife saving $2,000 a month because she spent only $8,000 when she was planning on spending $10,000 on shoes.

But, spending isn't the problem. With 70% of the budget going to wealth transfer entitlements we need to tax our way to prosperity.

Micketto
05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Keep in mind a "cut" in libspeak is a reduction in planned future spending. It is not a reduction from what is actually being spent. It's like my ex-wife saving $2,000 a month because she spent only $8,000 when she was planning on spending $10,000 on shoes.

That couldn't be more true.... and always makes me laugh.

Same as Obama creating "new jobs"... when all that happened was people who were laid off, got called back.

They look for success in anything they can find, eh.

Mainecoons
05-07-2013, 07:49 AM
The Food Stamp President has been most successful in expanding the number of Americans on welfare to an all time high and in creating a "boom" in part time jobs at the expense of full time jobs.

But by far, his greatest success has been to accelerate the growth in wealth of the one percent while impoverishing working people and retired people further.

Really, the Koch brothers could never equal Obama's success at making the rich richer. And, as we see here daily from the likes of Cigar, Nic, Truthmatters and Jillian, making the stupid stupider.

He will go down in history for both accomplishments, I expect. :rofl:

simpsonofpg
05-07-2013, 05:22 PM
The Food Stamp President has been most successful in expanding the number of Americans on welfare to an all time high and in creating a "boom" in part time jobs at the expense of full time jobs.

But by far, his greatest success has been to accelerate the growth in wealth of the one percent while impoverishing working people and retired people further.

Really, the Koch brothers could never equal Obama's success at making the rich richer. And, as we see here daily from the likes of Cigar, Nic, Truthmatters and Jillian, making the stupid stupider.

He will go down in history for both accomplishments, I expect. :rofl:

100% true, every word. There is nothing else to add.