PDA

View Full Version : WTF: Why would put someone on Science Committee who doesn’t believe in Science?

Cigar
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2013/130507-scientific-fact-lamar-smith-is-a-moron.jpg

Congressman Lamar Smith of Texas really does not understand science. Not scientific method, not scientific theories or laws, none of it. Which is why he submitted a bill draft titled the “High Quality Research Act” which would in effect add a politician into scientific studies.

The bill says that any research done using federal funds (which is the majority of research done in the United States) must have its results and finding approved by the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology of the House of Representatives. If the findings are not agreed to, the research is taken from the researchers and disposed of by Congress as it sees fit.

Congressman Smith has already landed himself in scientific hot water over his April 25th Letter to the National Science Foundation where he demanded that the NSF conduct an investigaton into five research programs which contradict policies his donors want passed. This is what was expected when the noted anti-science Texan was appointed to the Congressional Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/02/republican-congressman-introduces-bill-to-require-political-approval-of-scientific-papers/

:Doh!::Doh!::Doh!::Doh!::Doh!:

Agravan
05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Anyone who does not agree with the Liberal's interpretation of "science" is always considered "Anti-science".
Liberals are the ones that know nothing about the scientific method. A liberal believes science is done by consensus of liberal "scientists", hence the "Global Warming", "Global Cooling" and now "Climate Change" fiascos.

TheDictator
05-07-2013, 12:18 PM
If you take government money then you take the politics that comes with it. Questioning science does not make you anti-science just like questioning religion does not make you anti-religious.

simpsonofpg
05-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Is WTF you favorite word or a reflection of your true self. The difference between men and boy is: Men know when to cuss and boys know how."

nic34
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Anyone who does not agree with the Liberal's interpretation of "science" is always considered "Anti-science".

I say we let sarah palin decide what science is. Wouldn't that be special?

Agravan
05-07-2013, 05:34 PM
It would be a more intelligent interpretation than the liberal's.
By the way, still suffering from Palin Derangement Syndrome? I would have thought your messiah would have healed you by now.

Mister D
05-07-2013, 05:38 PM

^^^ Is this the state of American politics?

BillyBob
05-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Congressman Lamar Smith of Texas really does not understand science.

Neither does Al Gore.

jillian
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Liberals are the ones that know nothing about the scientific method. A liberal believes science is done by consensus of liberal "scientists", hence the "Global Warming", "Global Cooling" and now "Climate Change" fiascos.

science is science.

religion is religion.

religion shouldn't distort science.

liberals don't define science...scientists do.

but thanks for illustrating why our kids are in the mid 20's in math and science.

BillyBob
05-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Liberal scientists forge documents to fit their agenda, as in the case of 'Global warming', which is really a religion and not a science.

So yeah, so called science can be a religion.

TheDictator
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
science is science.

religion is religion.

but thanks for illustrating why our kids are in the mid 20's in math and science.

You forgot to add science shouldn't distort religion. Like many Liberals do.

patrickt
05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Liberals like to hide their dogma behind the curtain of science. And, we all know scientists can't be bought, don't we? We never see competing teams of "scientists" testifying in criminal case that the defendant is mad as a march hare or a sane as a judge. We see "scientists" lying at hearings on DDT and then the liberals decide, against the scientific evidence, to prevent the use of DDT and to kill 27 million people. I can remember "scientists" saying that cigarettes were healthy, soothed your throat, and relieved stress. I remember "scientists" saying second-hand smoke causes cancer.

Ah, yes, the miracles of liberal scientists. Al Gore makes millions off gullible liberals who don't understand science.

jillian
05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
You forgot to add science shouldn't distort religion. Like many Liberals do.

interesting.

how does science distort religion?

BillyBob
05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Al Gore doesn't even understand science.

The Center of the Earth is several millions of degrees. -Al Gore

http://newsbusters.org/static/2009/11/Al%20Gore%20Earth%27s%20Interior%20%27Is%20Extreme ly%20Hot,%20Several%20Million%20Degrees%27.jpg

What a no-science knowing retard! LOLOLOL!!! And the stupid demo-dopes believe every word that idiot says!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Mister D
05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
science is science.

religion is religion.

That's because so many of them are black and brown.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I got this in an email from ... Organizing for Action

If I said to you: "Unicorns exist, I totally just saw one galloping down the street," most likely you'd give me a sad look and get on with your day.

But what if House Speaker Boehner and the chairman of the House Science Committee said they didn't know if the science behind climate change was real. (Yeah. That actually happened.)

Now obviously, it doesn't matter if I just make stuff up about unicorns. But it matters, and it matters a whole lot, that so many of our elected officials in Washington who represent us are denying science and using that denial to refuse to take action on climate change.

It's actually dangerous -- and it matters how we react.

Each and every day that congressional leaders hold on to their bizarre fantasy world, OFA is going to be there, not letting them get away with it.

Add your name and say you're ready to hold climate deniers accountable. (https://my.barackobama.com/page/m/55c1aef6/6cd25e1b/31db364ed/17636eb3/3534949472/VEsH/p/eyJKU1ZGVFVGSlRDVWwiOiJjaGFzLmphY2tzb25AaG90bWFpbC 5jb20iLCJKU1ZhU1ZBbEpRPT0iOiI2MDU1NCIsIkpTVkRWVk5V VDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1p2YkdSbGNsOWtZWFJoYz JWMExHdGxlVDFtYjJ4a1pYSmZhR0Z6YUYwbEpRPT0iOiIwNzI2 M2ZkYTk5ZTI2MTIxNGY2ZTM3NTVmYjE5MGQwMSIsIkpTVkRWVk 5VVDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1pwYkdWZlpHRjBZWE5s ZEN4clpYazlabWxzWlY5b1lYTm9YU1VsIjoiMDk2YzhlNjc5YT VlNDNhYTdiZDk0NjU4MzZhYjlhZGUifQ==/)

We're going to make them say it out loud -- either double-down on their claims, or come to their senses. The National Academy of Sciences and more than 13,000 peer-reviewed scientific papers all confirm that the carbon pollution in our atmosphere today is causing dangerous climate change.

The sticky thing about the truth is that it's the truth whether Congress likes it or not.

Unicorns don't exist, climate change is real, and we said we weren't going to let this go.

Sign here and help Congress get real:

http://my.barackobama.com/Hold-Climate-Deniers-Accountable (https://my.barackobama.com/page/m/55c1aef6/6cd25e1b/31db364ed/17636edc/3534949472/VEsE/p/eyJKU1ZGVFVGSlRDVWwiOiJjaGFzLmphY2tzb25AaG90bWFpbC 5jb20iLCJKU1ZhU1ZBbEpRPT0iOiI2MDU1NCIsIkpTVkRWVk5V VDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1p2YkdSbGNsOWtZWFJoYz JWMExHdGxlVDFtYjJ4a1pYSmZhR0Z6YUYwbEpRPT0iOiIwNzI2 M2ZkYTk5ZTI2MTIxNGY2ZTM3NTVmYjE5MGQwMSIsIkpTVkRWVk 5VVDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1pwYkdWZlpHRjBZWE5s ZEN4clpYazlabWxzWlY5b1lYTm9YU1VsIjoiMDk2YzhlNjc5YT VlNDNhYTdiZDk0NjU4MzZhYjlhZGUifQ==/)

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan Frishberg
Climate Campaign Manager
Organizing for Action

A movement of millions elected President Obama. Let's keep fighting for change.

zelmo1234
05-08-2013, 07:16 AM
That would be becase the sciens behind "Climate Change" they had to change the name agains because tems are going down again!

If you lie then people will not take you seriously!

This is still my favorites?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqc7PCJ-nc

When you base your science on lies, then you can't be trusted!

You know when I was young we had a different name for cliamte change we called it "WEATHER"

Chris
05-08-2013, 07:20 AM
science is science.

religion is religion.

Was that supposed to be a logical argument? Your conclusion is a non sequitur to your truisms and imperatives.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:21 AM
That would be becase the sciens behind "Climate Change" they had to change the name agains because tems are going down again!

... "because"

It's spelled "Science" and that's not a lie. :wink:

Chris
05-08-2013, 07:22 AM

If you lie then people will not take you seriously!

This is still my favorites?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqc7PCJ-nc

When you base your science on lies, then you can't be trusted!

You know when I was young we had a different name for cliamte change we called it "WEATHER"

The science isn't lies, the politicization of it is. Same with the politicization of religion.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:23 AM
That's because so many of them are black and brown.

Was that supposed to be a racist argument?

Chris
05-08-2013, 07:23 AM
I got this in an email from ... Organizing for Action

If I said to you: "Unicorns exist, I totally just saw one galloping down the street," most likely you'd give me a sad look and get on with your day.

But what if House Speaker Boehner and the chairman of the House Science Committee said they didn't know if the science behind climate change was real. (Yeah. That actually happened.)

Now obviously, it doesn't matter if I just make stuff up about unicorns. But it matters, and it matters a whole lot, that so many of our elected officials in Washington who represent us are denying science and using that denial to refuse to take action on climate change.

It's actually dangerous -- and it matters how we react.

Each and every day that congressional leaders hold on to their bizarre fantasy world, OFA is going to be there, not letting them get away with it.

Add your name and say you're ready to hold climate deniers accountable. (https://my.barackobama.com/page/m/55c1aef6/6cd25e1b/31db364ed/17636eb3/3534949472/VEsH/p/eyJKU1ZGVFVGSlRDVWwiOiJjaGFzLmphY2tzb25AaG90bWFpbC 5jb20iLCJKU1ZhU1ZBbEpRPT0iOiI2MDU1NCIsIkpTVkRWVk5V VDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1p2YkdSbGNsOWtZWFJoYz JWMExHdGxlVDFtYjJ4a1pYSmZhR0Z6YUYwbEpRPT0iOiIwNzI2 M2ZkYTk5ZTI2MTIxNGY2ZTM3NTVmYjE5MGQwMSIsIkpTVkRWVk 5VVDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1pwYkdWZlpHRjBZWE5s ZEN4clpYazlabWxzWlY5b1lYTm9YU1VsIjoiMDk2YzhlNjc5YT VlNDNhYTdiZDk0NjU4MzZhYjlhZGUifQ==/)

We're going to make them say it out loud -- either double-down on their claims, or come to their senses. The National Academy of Sciences and more than 13,000 peer-reviewed scientific papers all confirm that the carbon pollution in our atmosphere today is causing dangerous climate change.

The sticky thing about the truth is that it's the truth whether Congress likes it or not.

Unicorns don't exist, climate change is real, and we said we weren't going to let this go.

Sign here and help Congress get real:

http://my.barackobama.com/Hold-Climate-Deniers-Accountable (https://my.barackobama.com/page/m/55c1aef6/6cd25e1b/31db364ed/17636edc/3534949472/VEsE/p/eyJKU1ZGVFVGSlRDVWwiOiJjaGFzLmphY2tzb25AaG90bWFpbC 5jb20iLCJKU1ZhU1ZBbEpRPT0iOiI2MDU1NCIsIkpTVkRWVk5V VDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1p2YkdSbGNsOWtZWFJoYz JWMExHdGxlVDFtYjJ4a1pYSmZhR0Z6YUYwbEpRPT0iOiIwNzI2 M2ZkYTk5ZTI2MTIxNGY2ZTM3NTVmYjE5MGQwMSIsIkpTVkRWVk 5VVDAxZlJFRlVRVk5GVkZ0emJIVm5QV1pwYkdWZlpHRjBZWE5s ZEN4clpYazlabWxzWlY5b1lYTm9YU1VsIjoiMDk2YzhlNjc5YT VlNDNhYTdiZDk0NjU4MzZhYjlhZGUifQ==/)

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan Frishberg
Climate Campaign Manager
Organizing for Action

A movement of millions elected President Obama. Let's keep fighting for change.

Shouldn't climate alarmists be held responsible as well?

patrickt
05-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Why would you put someone who hates business on the NLRB? Why have someone who hates all banks regulating banks? Why have a federal agency that supports election fraud monitoring elections? Why coerce banks into loaning money to deadbeats?

Do you honestly expect rational behavior from liberals? Welcome to Obama in Wonderland. A word means what he says it means, nothing more and nothing less.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Shouldn't climate alarmists be held responsible as well?

Why not continue the sentence ... responsible for what?

I don't consider a Firetrucks Siren; as "alarmists" ... if it prevents you from getting in the way of a 38k lbs moving truck.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Why would you put someone who hates business on the NLRB? Why have someone who hates all banks regulating banks? Why have a federal agency that supports election fraud monitoring elections? Why coerce banks into loaning money to deadbeats?

Do you honestly expect rational behavior from liberals? Welcome to Obama in Wonderland. A word means what he says it means, nothing more and nothing less.

Link?

Or is this just some more of "your" own hate mongering

Chris
05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Why not continue the sentence ... responsible for what?

I don't consider a Firetrucks Siren; as "alarmists" ... if it prevents you from getting in the way of a 38k lbs moving truck.

How'd you manage to go from "climate alarmists" to firetrucks?

Responsible for distorting climate science of course, same as deniers.

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Just an accurate one.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 07:45 AM

No, that's a fact. :afro:

Chris
05-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Right, and wholly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 07:50 AM
science is science.

religion is religion.

Chris I respond to whatever comments are here. Secondly, Cigar 's threads are generally pointless and ill-conceived. It's a good thing for them to drift off "topic".

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Right, and wholly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I don't see how. The point was made that US kids don't do well on average in math and science skills. Mister D simply pointed out the reason why.

Chris
05-08-2013, 07:56 AM
I don't see how. The point was made that US kids don't do well on average in math and science skills. Mister D simply pointed out the reason why.

No he didn't.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 07:57 AM
No he didn't.

Yes, he did but you're drifting off topic. :grin:

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Yes, he did but you're drifting off topic. :grin:

"No, that's a fact."

Facts do not "simply pointed out the reason why".

And now you complain about going off topic, lol.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
"No, that's a fact."

Facts do not "simply pointed out the reason why".

And now you complain about going off topic, lol.

Here we go again...

Fact: black and brown students do poorly relative to white and Asian students

Fact: there are many more black and brown students than there were even 20 years ago

Fact: several idiots on this forum lament the decline in America's educational standards and blame the dang 'libruls'

Fact: that decline is due to changing demographics

Disagree? If not, pipe down. :smiley:

Oh, and the last comment was sarcasm. Are you autistic?

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Here we go again...

Fact: black and brown students do poorly relative to white and Asian students

Fact: there are many more black and brown students than there were even 20 years ago

Fact: several idiots on this forum lament the decline in America's educational standards and blame the dang 'libruls'

Fact: that decline is due to changing demographics

Disagree? If not, pipe down. :smiley:

Oh, and the last comment was sarcasm. Are you autistic?

Facts do not explain. Thanks for the insults, typical from you when you have no rational argument to present.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Facts do not explain. Thanks for the insults, typical from you when you have no rational argument to present.

I just presented one to which you obviously have no rebuttal. Thanks for playing. :grin: And, yes, the fact that America's demographics have changed does explain our decline in terms of education.

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I just presented one to which you obviously have no rebuttal. Thanks for playing. :grin: And, yes, the fact that America's demographics have changed does explain our decline in terms of education.

Let's tie this to the topic as another example of the misuse of science for personal of not political agenda.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
How'd you manage to go from "climate alarmists" to firetrucks?

Responsible for distorting climate science of course, same as deniers.

Do you have a PHD in climate science?

Cigar
05-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Let's tie this to the topic as another example of the misuse of science for personal of not political agenda.

I think it would be easier to just click on a tread you like or stick your fingers in your ears. :)

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Doesn't require a PhD to read science, cigar.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 08:25 AM

What science have I misused? Jillian made a comment and I corrected her. She seems to think that our schools are in decline because of Christianity. No, it's because of a demographic change that, ironically, Jews have been very active in bringining about. Go figure.

Agravan
05-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Do you?

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:28 AM
What science have I misused? Jillian made a comment and I corrected her. She seems to think that our schools are in decline because of Christianity. No, it's because of a demographic change that, ironically, Jews have been very active in bringining about. Go figure.

You corrected her with an equally false conclusion.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 08:29 AM
You corrected her with an equally false conclusion.

If you have a rebuttal to what I posted above let's hear it.

TheDictator
05-08-2013, 08:32 AM
The National Academy of Sciences and more than 13,000 peer-reviewed scientific papers all confirm that the carbon pollution in our atmosphere today is causing dangerous climate change.

The NAS is all about milking the federal government out of trillions, the climate changers are about money not saving the Earth.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Do you?

No Masters .. but it is in Science.

TheDictator
05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
interesting.

how does science distort religion?

All those people trying to use science to prove religion is wrong. Had some in college who would try to use some formula to say this disproves God, but it did not.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 08:42 AM
The NAS is all about milking the federal government out of trillions, the climate changers are about money not saving the Earth.

You do know the Government has been subsidizing oil since 1916 to write-off cost depletion and still is contributing to Big Oil?

There hasn't ever been a larger welfare queen on the planet.

Surly this bother you ... right?

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:45 AM
If you have a rebuttal to what I posted above let's hear it.

Facts are not explanations. Now if you have a rebuttal to that let's hear it.

Mister D
05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Facts are not explanations. Now if you have a rebuttal to that let's hear it.

I didn't think you had a rebuttal. Since you don't I guess this argument is over. :smiley:

Chris
05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
All those people trying to use science to prove religion is wrong. Had some in college who would try to use some formula to say this disproves God, but it did not.

Agree. As long as religion does not make a scientific claim, science does not apply. Science restricts itself to the natural world.

(Forgive my anthropomorphisms!)

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 09:18 AM

That was clearly the discussion which is clearly topical. I don't know why others are having such a difficult time seeing that.