PDA

View Full Version : Romney: Stuck in the Fifties

Mister D
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Don't let the title decieve you. It's a fairly sympathetic look at Romney.

As it happens, I know something about Romney’s youth, since he was three years behind me at the private boys’ school I attended in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. I still have trouble shaking my image of him as a 14-year-old boy, which he was when I graduated. Romney was popular in school in part because his father was the Republican candidate for governor that year and would be the first Republican to hold that office in 14 years. This was a school where the straw vote in the 1960 presidential election was Richard Nixon 92 percent, John Kennedy 8 percent.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/284499/romney-stuck-fifties-michael-barone?pg=1

Conley
12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I can see how the NR would consider being stuck in the 50s a positive. :wink:

That was a good read. It sounds a little like Romney is being questioned for being different things to different people but I think anyone running for office at that level will have some of that. It comes with the terrain. Overall though it does paint a positive portrait of the man.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I can see how the NR would consider being stuck in the 50s a positive. :wink:

That was a good read. It sounds a little like Romney is being questioned for being different things to different people but I think anyone running for office at that level will have some of that. It comes with the terrain. Overall though it does paint a positive portrait of the man.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty positive. Oddly endearing, actually.

Conley
12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty positive. Oddly endearing, actually.

Yes, I find myself viewing him favorably. He sounds like a hard worker, although I suppose he did have a lot of family connections and money as well (which shouldn't be held against him of course).

Mister D
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
The evolving views are going to held against him but he must know and expect that. I guess NR is getting the readers prepped for a Romney candidacy.

jgreer
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
He's going to be the Republican winner dont you think?

Mister D
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
He's going to be the Republican winner dont you think?

Probably. I think most analysts expect him to be.

Conley
12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I think so too. I've thought that for a while now, ever since Perry crashed and burned shortly after entering the race.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, I best get used to him. :undecided: Thi election is, IMO, too important not to vote in.

jgreer
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Are you gonna vote for him then?

Mister D
12-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Are you gonna vote for him then?

Most likely if he is the candidate.

jgreer
12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Why wont you go for a third party? Dont you say republicans are the problem too?

Mister D
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Why wont you go for a third party? Dont you say republicans are the problem too?

The current state of the GOP is dreadful, IMO, but I think the party can still be salvaged.
I'm losing patience though. In the NJ primary I will be voting for a Third Party if possible or not at all.

Conley
12-01-2011, 04:06 PM
What good would it to do vote for a third party in the primary?

Mister D
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
What good would it to do vote for a third party in the primary?

I misspoke. Never mind. That last bit about the primary doesn't really make sense. Anyway, getting rid of BO is priority one. Elections have consequences as Grumoy likes to say and I don't think back ing a Third Party is a good idea in 2012. Besides, do I even have such an option

Pendragon
12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
The current state of the GOP is dreadful, IMO, but I think the party can still be salvaged.
I'm losing patience though. In the NJ primary I will be voting for a Third Party if possible or not at all.

Well there it is my good brethren -- proof that Mister D is as partisan as partisan can be.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Well there it is my good brethren -- proof that Mister D is as partisan as partisan can be.

Because I'll vote for a Republican in 2012 in spite of my clearly stated misgivings? Yeah, that make sense. lol

Pendragon
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
You say both parties are to blame but then admit you will vote for the Republican candidate regardless of whoever it is. For shame! The system will never change with people like you. I vote for Obama not because he is a Democrat but because he is the best candidate of those available.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
You say both parties are to blame but then admit you will vote for the Republican candidate regardless of whoever it is. For shame! The system will never change with people like you. I vote for Obama not because he is a Democrat but because he is the best candidate of those available.

No, I said I'd vote for Romney over Obama and I will...ANYDAY. Your attacks on me grow more and more desperate. For shame!

Pendragon
12-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Your continued dodges do nothing to support your argument and the truth is plainly visibile for all to see!

Mister D
12-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Your continued dodges do nothing to support your argument and the truth is plainly visibile for all to see!

I'll be voting for Romney over Obama, Pen. :laugh: Make of it whatever you will.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm not voting 3rd party until there is a viable candidate running on that platform that makes me want to vote for him or her.

Especially if BO is the opponent.

IMO, Romney's done a lot of backpeddling these last few months, that's not a sign of a strong candidate for a number of different reasons. He's not the best candidate as far as I'm concerned, but I'll vote for him if he gets the nomination.

Elibe
12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
i haven't decided yet its still to early to tell. i am not against voting for romney.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm not voting 3rd party until there is a viable candidate running on that platform that makes me want to vote for him or her.

Especially if BO is the opponent.

IMO, Romney's done a lot of backpeddling these last few months, that's not a sign of a strong candidate for a number of different reasons. He's not the best candidate as far as I'm concerned, but I'll vote for him if he gets the nomination.

I feel the same way. Getting BO out is priority one.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I can't help thinking about this when I see this thread title (from Gallagher - Stuck in the 60's)

http://d11.laserdiscs.biz/movies/NoDVD/GallagherStuckInThe60sNDVDFront.jpg

(edit - sorry for the massive pic)

Mister D
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Did he drive a nail into his chest? Did people actually do that?

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Did he drive a nail into his chest? Did people actually do that?

It was from a sledge-o-matic stunt gone wrong, I think.

Conley
I read some weird stuff about Gallagher (go figure)...I haven't seen his act but people are claiming he is all about WP now?

Conley
It was from a sledge-o-matic stunt gone wrong, I think.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I read some weird stuff about Gallagher (go figure)...I haven't seen his act but people are claiming he is all about WP now?

His brother is hacking that gig now, that might be him. I don't think the original Gallagher is still around but I might be wrong.

Gallagher was a total fucking genius but man, my gadar was ringing off the charts every time I ever watched him.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
He was the watermelon guy, right? I don't remember much about him.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasAFyonmmI

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Fucking youtube blows, just go to the link.

wingrider
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
if Obama is the best candidate the democrats can come up with in 2012 then it is a sad day for the democrats.. Hillary would have been the best bet for president, at least she has the background and the credentials to do the job, but Hilllary got jacked over in favor of a junior senator with 0 experience, what does that tell you? for me it is ABBO period.

Conley
12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
if Obama is the best candidate the democrats can come up with in 2012 then it is a sad day for the democrats.. Hillary would have been the best bet for president, at least she has the background and the credentials to do the job, but Hilllary got jacked over in favor of a junior senator with 0 experience, what does that tell you? for me it is ABBO period.

I agree with most of that but I think she shares in the blame too...she didn't get jacked so much as run a poor campaign and let Obama get the early momentum with Iowa. Once he had momentum he was tough to stop, and lord knows the Clintons had made enough enemies at that point. I'm still surprised Obama gave her a position in his administration but once you saw that you knew this whole "change" he was promising was horsecrap.