PDA

View Full Version : Now They Want to Take Away the 8-Hour Day and 40-Hour Week

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Republicans are trying to pass an "alternative" to overtime pay. This is really about taking away the eight-hour workday and 40-hour workweek. Will weekends be next? What about an "alternative" to paying workers at all?

House Republicans are pushing a bill that takes away extra pay for overtime, substituting "comp" time instead. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 is the law that brought us the eight-hour workday and the 40-hour workweek. This law does not prohibit employers from requiring workers to work over 40 hours. Instead, it gives employers an incentive to instead pay extra or hire more people, and gives employees a premium if they do have to work longer. (Note that this is also the law that brought us a minimum wage and outlawed child labor.)

There is proof that overtime pay works: workers like domestic workers and agricultural workers - jobs not covered by the FLSA - are twice as likely to have to work more than 40 hours in a week. And even with this law, Americans already work more hours than in almost any other industrialized country.

The Bill - No Guarantees

The House will be voting on H.R. 1406, The Working Families Flexibility Act, which lets employers offer "comp time" instead of overtime pay. The problem is that employers will pressure workers to take comp time instead of overtime, which reduces paychecks and gets rid of the incentive to hire more people. Later, the employees will be pressured to not take that comp time, or will have to be "on call," etcetera. ...................(more) http://truth-out.org/news/item/16238-now-they-want-to-take-away-the-8-hour-day-and-40-hour-week

Why on earth would anyone want these idiots back in power, is a mystery to me. The same people who would propose this type of legislation are the same people who hardly work 4 months out of an entire year, while getting paid by "you" the Tax payer.

patrickt
05-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Actually, President Obama and the liberal Democrats want to make the 40-hour work week history and replace it with nothing but part-time jobs.

And, what upsets the liberal nuts is that the Republicans want to give workers a choice. My god, are they crazy. Workers shouldn't have a choice about anything but certainly not about overtime pay, with which the government collects income tax, versus comp time, with which the government does not collect income tax. Overtime Pay versus Comp Time is just one of a long list of things liberal Democrats don't think workers should have a choice in. Joining a union is another one. Mandatory union membership is the liberal Democrat demand.

So, get in line with the King and demand only part-time jobs for Americans.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Link? :rollseyes:

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Well, I guess if you don't like the new job climate you can do what the negroes do and simply refuse to work.

patrickt
05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Link? :rollseyes:

You need a link to tell you that overtime pay gets taxed as income and comp time doesn't? Quick, quick, call your handler for advice.

But, your handler who sent you the far-left blog as a link is probably busy shoveling dirt on Benghazi. Here's a link from a liberal source. A liberal source that exposes the lies in your sorry source. Read it, Cigar.

"WASHINGTON — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay. The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs."http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congress/overtime-pay-vs-time-off-gop-wants-a-choice-but-democrats-say-plan-would-hurt-workers/2013/05/06/bd4df4fe-b620-11e2-b568-6917f6ac6d9d_story.html

Liberals hate for workers to have choices. Choices of the sole province of government for liberals.

Mainecoons
05-08-2013, 10:16 AM
What was that? 278,000 part time jobs last month. Since the mostly bogus unemployment number all the ObamaShills dwell on was 165,000, that means a bunch of people lost their full time jobs. Notice how part time work soars and full time work collapses under Obama.

http://tcf.org/assets/images/blog_images/20120110-graph-america-has-a-part-time-employment-problem.png

nic34
05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Notice how part time work soars and full time work collapses under Obama

...and starts under Bush....

KC
05-08-2013, 10:26 AM
What was that? 278,000 part time jobs last month. Since the mostly bogus unemployment number all the ObamaShills dwell on was 165,000, that means a bunch of people lost their full time jobs. Notice how part time work soars and full time work collapses under Obama.

http://tcf.org/assets/images/blog_images/20120110-graph-america-has-a-part-time-employment-problem.png

I think it has very little to do with Obama and a whole lot to do with companies discovering they can get by with less help than previously though. Capital makes up for worker productivity.

Mainecoons
05-08-2013, 10:27 AM
I think you're ignoring all the reports of people losing their full time jobs because of ObamaCare.

KC
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
I think you're ignoring all the reports of people losing their full time jobs because of ObamaCare.

Full time employment begins to decline before the passage of the ACA. There probably a few cases like that, where employers are worried about increasing costs due to the insurance mandate, but I seriously doubt it would cause this much of a trend alone.

KC
05-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Also during a recession may people go back to school since their opportunity cost is lower. This also helps to explain more part time employment, since many students are part time employees.

Cigar
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Reports or Links?

zelmo1234
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Reports or Links?

These ahve been posted many times but here is still my favorite one! even government agencies are going to be killed by obamacare

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/03/long-beach-obamacare-part-time-hours_n_3208392.html

You can't continue to pretend it is not happening!

They will have to get together and fix it!

Mainecoons
05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I repeat. Have you missed all the reports about part time jobs being lost because of ObamaCare?

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fredgraph.png?bgcolor=%23cccc99&chart_type=bar&fo=ge&height=315&width=525&id=LNS12032194&scale=Left&range=Custom&cosd=2008-01-01&coed=2013-02-01&line_color=%23660000&link_values=false&line_style=Solid&mark_type=NONE&mw=4&lw=1&ost=-99999&oet=99999&mma=0&fml=a&fq=Monthly&fam=avg&fgst=lin&transformation=lin&vintage_date=2013-03-08&revision_date=2013-03-08

Now go here and look at Chart 1. There is nothing there that begins to compare with the above.

http://www.bls.gov/OPUB/MLR/1991/03/art2full.pdf

Now look at Chart 2 here. Notice that unlike the above, the involuntary part time peak was very short during previous recessions, even Carter's.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2009/10/art1full.pdf

It is different this time and the difference is Barack Obama's disastrous piling on of regulations and taxes and ObamaCare.

Wake up.

patrickt
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Reports or Links?
Why do you ask for links when you ignore them? Care to respond to the Washington Post link that establishes liberal hatred of workers having a choice?

nic34
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Have you missed all the reports about part time jobs being lost because of ObamaCare?

Obamacare hasn't even been fully implemented.... check back in when it is....... GENIUS

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Obamacare hasn't even been fully implemented.... check back in when it is....... GENIUS

It's only gonna get worse.

simpsonofpg
05-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Comp time does not reduce payroll. They will get paid for not working, the end result is going to be the same. One of the biggest problems today is that employees are not working. they are on the clock but not working.. I am working part time and our company could reduce payroll cost if very worker actually worked while on the clock instead of wandering around and playing with their phone.

Greenridgeman
05-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Actually, President Obama and the liberal Democrats want to make the 40-hour work week history and replace it with nothing but part-time jobs.

And, what upsets the liberal nuts is that the Republicans want to give workers a choice. My god, are they crazy. Workers shouldn't have a choice about anything but certainly not about overtime pay, with which the government collects income tax, versus comp time, with which the government does not collect income tax. Overtime Pay versus Comp Time is just one of a long list of things liberal Democrats don't think workers should have a choice in. Joining a union is another one. Mandatory union membership is the liberal Democrat demand.

So, get in line with the King and demand only part-time jobs for Americans.

28 hr work week and no benefits will become the new norm.

Ain't it grand.

Dr. Who
05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Well, I guess if you don't like the new job climate you can do what the negroes do and simply refuse to work.Link please.

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Link please.

What, you can't find the negro unemployment rate without my help?

Dr. Who
05-08-2013, 09:04 PM
What, you can't find the negro unemployment rate without my help?Unemployment and work refusal are two different things. Where are your statistics for work refusal. Link please.

oceanloverOH
05-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Comp time is BS. It sounds just ducky in theory....but in my experience, it doesn't work. Every civilian job I've ever had trimmed the employee force, and therefore the payroll, to the bare bones. Everybody was asked to work more than 40 hours per week but not getting paid for it. And though we were entitled to comp time, we could never take it because there was too much work and not enough workers. Any time off at all set everybody back....it was nothing to be "owed" 60 hours of comp time that you never got to take. It's an insane, vicious circle that puts the burden of workload without pay on the workers. Overtime pay works.....with overtime pay, if the employees are working too much overtime and costing the company too much, then the ball is in the COMPANY'S court; they either have to hire more workers or scale back on taskings so the jobs can be done in a 40-hour week.

BillyBob
05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Unemployment and work refusal are two different things. Where are your statistics for work refusal. Link please.

I'd say that negroes who refuse to work are most certainly going to be unemployed.

Where are your statistics for negro unemployment? Let's start with those.

ptif219
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I think it has very little to do with Obama and a whole lot to do with companies discovering they can get by with less help than previously though. Capital makes up for worker productivity.

Has to do with Obamacare

ptif219
05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Also during a recession may people go back to school since their opportunity cost is lower. This also helps to explain more part time employment, since many students are part time employees.

Stop trying to protect Obama and justify his failed policies

http://washingtonexaminer.com/examiner-editorial-obamacares-price-full-time-jobs-become-part-time/article/2512659

If you are looking for a full-time job, prepare to be disappointed if President Obama wins re-election Tuesday. Since Obama was sworn into office in 2009, the number of Americans with full-time jobs has actually fallen by 370,000. The number of Americans with part-time jobs, by contrast, is up 1.5 million. Jobs are being created in the Obama economy, but they're not the type of jobs Americans can live on. And Obama's policies are clearly contributing to the shift.
Last month, we noted that Darden Restaurants, the parent company of popular chains like Olive Garden and Red Lobster, stopped replacing full-time employees who left the company. Instead, the company announced, it would only be hiring part-timers to meet its staffing needs. The reason? Obamacare. Obama's signature domestic initiative fines employers with 50 or more full-time workers $2,000 for every full-time employee who does not have government-approved health insurance.
Sign Up for the Opinion Digest newsletter! (http://washingtonexaminer.com/examiner-editorial-obamacares-price-full-time-jobs-become-part-time/article/2512659#)
Many retail, food service and hospitality firms, including Darden, already offer all of their full-time employees bare-bones health insurance plans. But these plans, which have coverage limits, will become illegal under Obamacare in 2014. Darden and other firms face a stark choice: Buy more expensive health insurance for their full-time employees (which normally costs more than $5,000 for each employee), pay the $2,000 fine or hire fewer full-time workers.
More and more employers are going this last route.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Pillar Hotels and Resorts (parent company of Sheraton and other hotel chains), CKE Restaurants Inc. (parent company of Hardee's and Carl's Jr.) and Anna's Linens Inc. have all started to replace full-time departures with part-time hires. According to a July survey of retail and hospitality companies by Mercer consulting, 32 percent of firms said they were likely to reduce the number of employees working 30 hours or more per week.

patrickt
05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Comp time is BS. It sounds just ducky in theory....but in my experience, it doesn't work. Every civilian job I've ever had trimmed the employee force, and therefore the payroll, to the bare bones. Everybody was asked to work more than 40 hours per week but not getting paid for it. And though we were entitled to comp time, we could never take it because there was too much work and not enough workers. Any time off at all set everybody back....it was nothing to be "owed" 60 hours of comp time that you never got to take. It's an insane, vicious circle that puts the burden of workload without pay on the workers. Overtime pay works.....with overtime pay, if the employees are working too much overtime and costing the company too much, then the ball is in the COMPANY'S court; they either have to hire more workers or scale back on taskings so the jobs can be done in a 40-hour week.

Bullshit. I never had a job I couldn't leave when my work day was over if I so chose. And, my experience was that people chose comp time so they could accrue the time for extra vacations.

I realize the idea of choosing is the problem. You and the government want mandatory overtime pay so the government can get their cut. Employees should not be allowed to choose...anything. Not between comp time and overtime pay, not union membership or not union membership, nothing is up to the workers.

oceanloverOH
05-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Bullshit. I never had a job I couldn't leave when my work day was over if I so chose. And, my experience was that people chose comp time so they could accrue the time for extra vacations.

I realize the idea of choosing is the problem. You and the government want mandatory overtime pay so the government can get their cut. Employees should not be allowed to choose...anything. Not between comp time and overtime pay, not union membership or not union membership, nothing is up to the workers.

BULLSHIT????? Are you inferring that I'm lying, patrickt? That WAS my experience, for the 15 years I worked in civilian jobs after I retired from the USAF. Perhaps your experiences were very different, but that doesn't invalidate the fact that this situation DOES exist in many workplaces, whether you choose to believe it based on your own work experiences or not.

Dr. Who
05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I'd say that negroes who refuse to work are most certainly going to be unemployed.

Where are your statistics for negro unemployment? Let's start with those.What, you have no link for work refusal? It's up to the person who makes the statement to substantiate their allegation. Do your own research.

KC
05-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Stop trying to protect Obama and justify his failed policies

http://washingtonexaminer.com/examiner-editorial-obamacares-price-full-time-jobs-become-part-time/article/2512659

I'm as opposed to Obamacare as you, I just doubt that it in particular has as large an effect as some may suggest.

zelmo1234
05-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm as opposed to Obamacare as you, I just doubt that it in particular has as large an effect as some may suggest.

As this goes into effect ahd current insurance contracts expire, it will have massive effects, and it will also effect the number of full time employees that corporations will have!

There will still be 46 million un insured, but this time it will be people with assets that hospitals and doctors can take when they can't pay their bills!

Adelaide
05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't know - it makes sense to me. If I work over 37.5 hours (my salaried amount) I get lieu time instead of overtime UNLESS I go over 60 hours, in which case I get overtime. My company has the option to pay 12 hours extra a week instead of giving lieu time, but I don't get to choose and it must be approved. Most companies here seem to follow that model, which is within the labour laws.

It's not a bad arrangement. I work an extra 4 hours biweekly which means I get one day of vacation extra per month. I prefer it over being paid directly.

BillyBob
05-09-2013, 08:25 PM
What, you have no link for work refusal?

What, you have no link for black unemployment?

It's up to the person who makes the statement to substantiate their allegation. Do your own research.

The unemployment rate of negroes is all you need to know that many of them refuse to work. It's not like McDonalds refuses to hire them.

But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself making excuses for their laziness [and yours], have at it.

ptif219
05-09-2013, 09:30 PM

It will make full time a thing of the past to avoid fines and providing the high price insurance Obamacare will create

ptif219
05-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't know - it makes sense to me. If I work over 37.5 hours (my salaried amount) I get lieu time instead of overtime UNLESS I go over 60 hours, in which case I get overtime. My company has the option to pay 12 hours extra a week instead of giving lieu time, but I don't get to choose and it must be approved. Most companies here seem to follow that model, which is within the labour laws.

It's not a bad arrangement. I work an extra 4 hours biweekly which means I get one day of vacation extra per month. I prefer it over being paid directly.

does not affect me as I get paid by the mile

Dr. Who
05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
What, you have no link for black unemployment?

The unemployment rate of negroes is all you need to know that many of them refuse to work. It's not like McDonalds refuses to hire them.

But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself making excuses for their laziness [and yours], have at it.I link my posts. Where are yours? Why should I do your work for you. You're the one making the statement. Unemployment rates tell you nothing, other than the fact that people are not working, not why. The unemployment rate among university graduates is 8.9% and for high school grads is 22.9%. Do those stats tell you which ones are refusing to work and which ones can't get hired? If you want to make inflammatory statements and not have it perceived as trolling behavior, try including some substantiation. http://www9.georgetown.edu/grad/gppi/hpi/cew/pdfs/unemployment.final.update1.pdf

jillian
05-09-2013, 09:54 PM

people are not losing their jobs because of the ACA.

corporatists were already moving more people to part time and offshoring.. so they could illegally avoid wage and hour laws in this country.

that's what happens when you destroy the right to collective bargaining.

zelmo1234
05-09-2013, 10:15 PM

corporatists were already moving more people to part time and offshoring.. so they could illegally avoid wage and hour laws in this country.

Well if it makes you feel better to think that??? Then OK

But the ACA will cost a lot of jobs, And a lot of major employers are going to part time only becaue of it!

It was a terrible bill that was rushed to the Senate before Kenedys seat was filled! In there ruch they have a real stinker of a law!

It will hurt people!

As for collective bargining? It is the number one reason for off shoring of jobs!

BillyBob
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
I link my posts.

No you don't.

Where are yours? Why should I do your work for you.

Are you arguing that black unemployment is not higher than white unemployment?

ptif219
05-09-2013, 10:28 PM

More liberal talking points with no proof

Dr. Who
05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
No you don't.

Are you arguing that black unemployment is not higher than white unemployment?I provide links unless it is a non-statistical opinion. I'm not arguing black unemployment, I am arguing your lack of substantiation for work refusal, which, by now, if you could have provided any data whatsoever, you would have. You are simply posting opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. But if you're going to post opinion, add "in my opinion" to your statement. Don't try to lead people to believe that there is any data to support it.

BillyBob
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
I provide links unless it is a non-statistical opinion. I'm not arguing black unemployment, I am arguing your lack of substantiation for work refusal, which, by now, if you could have provided any data whatsoever, you would have. You are simply posting opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. But if you're going to post opinion, add "in my opinion" to your statement. Don't try to lead people to believe that there is any data to support it.

Black unemployment is higher than the national average, McDonalds is hiring, blacks ain't applying.

What more do you need to know?

Mr Happy
05-09-2013, 10:54 PM

I'm actually noticing that full time work collapsed under Bush and has risen almost constantly under Obama...in fact they are almost back to 2002 levels when Bush started out. And there has been a huge increase in part time work as well! Well done Obama!

BillyBob
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm actually noticing that full time work collapsed under Bush and has risen almost constantly under Obama...in fact they are almost back to 2002 levels when Bush started out. And there has been a huge increase in part time work as well! Well done Obama!

Average Unemployment

Bush 5.5%
Obama 9.5%

Mr Happy
05-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Average Unemployment

Bush 5.5%
Obama 9.5%

Now add in the GFC...

BillyBob
05-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Now add in the GFC...

???

Dr. Who
05-10-2013, 04:17 PM
???
Global Financial Crisis?

patrickt
05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Liberals do not want workers to have a choice on whether they take overtime pay or compensatory time off for overtime worked. Liberals do not want workers to have a choice on whether or not they join a union. Liberals don't want workers to have a choice on whether their kids go to public school or not. Liberals are anti-choice on everything except one, abortion.

I believe France solved the problem by making it illegal to work more than the maximum of 35 hours dictated by law. Liberals in the U.S. are so jealous of France.

jillian
05-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Liberals do not want workers to have a choice on whether they take overtime pay or compensatory time off for overtime worked. Liberals do not want workers to have a choice on whether or not they join a union. Liberals don't want workers to have a choice on whether their kids go to public school or not. Liberals are anti-choice on everything except one, abortion.I believe France solved the problem by making it illegal to work more than the maximum of 35 hours dictated by law. Liberals in the U.S. are so jealous of France.what are you talking about?a little reality check... rightwingers want corporations to force workers to accept the same wages one would get in mexico or china... or lose their jobs... and have no OSHAand no FLSAand no anti-trust laws...and no wage parity for men and women... and no job security... and no living wages... but please, feel free to continue your fantasmagorial thinking.

BillyBob
05-10-2013, 10:14 PM
what are you talking about?

Liberals and their absolute disdain for liberty and freedom.

jillian
05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Liberals and their absolute disdain for liberty and freedom.

are you really this demented? or are you just playing for the crowd?

i mean, i already understand that you have zero information that isn't spoon fed to you by the rabid right...

but i'm kind of surprised that you don't bore yourself like you do normal people.

BillyBob
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM

i mean, i already understand that you have zero information that isn't spoon fed to you by the rabid right...

but i'm kind of surprised that you don't bore yourself like you do normal people.

If you are normal, humanity is doomed.

zelmo1234
05-11-2013, 01:56 AM
what are you talking about?a little reality check... rightwingers want corporations to force workers to accept the same wages one would get in mexico or china... or lose their jobs... and have no OSHAand no FLSAand no anti-trust laws...and no wage parity for men and women... and no job security... and no living wages... but please, feel free to continue your fantasmagorial thinking.

So do you have a list of thest TERRIIBLE corporations?

The reason that corporations! have to move off shore is so they can compete with imported products the people buy becasue it is chepaer!

I find it interseting that people have no idea what really is happening in the economy! They trruely beleive that these corporations can make it with products sitting on the shelf that no one is buying? My favorite is BIG OIL that works on a profit margin that NO other company! in the USA could survive on! they pay huge taxes and produce a product that has huge taxes on it? They are prevented from drilling where it is easy and less expensive for them to get oil! And even when they are allow to drill the regulations are ungodly!

The corporate tax rate in the USA is the highest in the world! So if you want to see why the US worker is being replaced you need only look to the workers shopping cart and see it filled with the lower priced imports! And then for those that still work in the UNION shops look to the donation patterns of the Union they support, and the policies promoted by that party!

That is reality, not the fantasy you seen to have of the situation!

zelmo1234
05-11-2013, 02:02 AM

Are you looking at the same chart that I am looking at?????????

IF so WTF di your statment come from? Obama takes over in 2009 and it appears that the red lin drops and the blue line goes up?????

Oh! wait? Color Blind that has to be it!

So you know in the USA Obamacare is going to make it nearly impossible for the service incustry and the retail industry to hire full time workers. So the normal will be 2 part time jobs! with NO benifits!

zelmo1234
05-11-2013, 02:05 AM

While I don't disagree that billy Bod has some statemenst that are designed to get reactions. You do realize that your opnions are fed to you by the talking points of the left! my tend to be that of the right!

What I will ask again is can you point to any of the Presidents policies that have this country into a better position that when he took office!

patrickt
05-11-2013, 08:42 AM
The liberals want to deny you the choice of taking overtime pay or compensatory time off. That's it. It's really quite simple. Where I worked, the employees working overtime had the choice unless we didn't have the manpower to give time off. Then they got overtime pay. But, 100% of our employees wanted the choice. We got a lot of overtime and it was unavoidable so employees would have a week to go fishing in the summer and a week to go hunting in the fall and a week to go skiing in the winter using comp time. The liberals want to put a stop to that.

Why? Why would they want to deny you that choice. Number one, like Jillian, liberals are by nature opposed to you having any choices. They'll take care of you and you'll damned well pay for it one way or another. Number two, they like making you do what they want. It gives them a woody. You haven't a choice, get outta here.

They are opposed to you having that choice. They're opposed to you having any choice, well, except that one that makes them pro-choice.