PDA

View Full Version : Internet sales tax soon to be enforced

spunkloaf
06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_broken_budgets_internet_sales

AUSTIN, Texas – State governments across the country are laying off teachers, closing public libraries and parks, and reducing health care services, but there is one place they could get $23 billion if they could only agree how to do it: Internet retailers such as Amazon.com.

That's enough to pay for the salaries of more than 46,000 teachers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. In California, the amount of uncollected taxes from Amazon sales alone is roughly the same amount cut from child welfare services in the current state budget.

But collecting those taxes from major online retailers is difficult.

Internet retailers are required to collect sales tax only when they sell to customers living in a state where they have a physical presence, such as a store or office. When consumers order from out-of-state retailers, they are required under state law to pay the tax. But it's difficult to enforce and rarely happens.

That means under the current system the seller is absolved of responsibility, buyers save 3 percent to 9 percent because they rarely volunteer to pay the sales tax, and the state loses revenue.

spunkloaf
06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
So as we can clearly see, tax laws don't depend on how fair it is for the consumer. They depend on what kind of buying power they create and for whom.

Conley
06-19-2011, 01:34 PM
internet tax is a tricky thing. should it be collected in the state where it is purchased or in the state where the resident lives? in a lot of states you can't go to a neighboring state and buy a car for a lower tax rate and then register it in your home state without paying the tax you were trying to avoid. of course our whole tax system needs such an overhaul. its bs layered on to bs.

Captain Obvious
06-19-2011, 06:05 PM
If I buy a car out of state, I pay a use tax - which is a sales tax to the state that I reside in - in lieu of a sales tax to the state that I purchased a car in.

By that definition, I am exempt from out of state sales taxes and only owe a use tax. I live in NH which has no sales tax (or use tax I presume).

Therefore, if I purchase some jeans from JC Penney and am charged a sales tax, I should be able to fill out a tax form and obtain a return.

Bottom line, this looks like a gouging tactic. Who's going to fill out a tax return for a $100 online purchase?

blaster
06-16-2016, 05:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_broken_budgets_internet_sales (/s/ap/us_broken_budgets_internet_sales) AUSTIN, Texas – State governments across the country are laying off teachers, closing public libraries and parks, and reducing health care services, but there is one place they could get $23 billion if they could only agree how to do it: Internet retailers such as Amazon.com. That's enough to pay for the salaries of more than 46,000 teachers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. In California, the amount of uncollected taxes from Amazon sales alone is roughly the same amount cut from child welfare services in the current state budget. But collecting those taxes from major online retailers is difficult. Internet retailers are required to collect sales tax only when they sell to customers living in a state where they have a physical presence, such as a store or office. When consumers order from out-of-state retailers, they are required under state law to pay the tax. But it's difficult to enforce and rarely happens. That means under the current system the seller is absolved of responsibility, buyers save 3 percent to 9 percent because they rarely volunteer to pay the sales tax, and the state loses revenue. The answer is easy. Just raise everybody's taxes by $300.00. Then require employers to give everybody a $12.00 a week raise.

Common
06-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Cant be enforced all they are going to do is take money off american internet sellers. Let me explain why.

I used to be an amazon prime member, I stopped because they built a warehouse in fla and increased prime from 70 bucks to 99 a year. So i have to pay 99 a year plus 6.% sales tax I can buy most anything elsewhere cheaper.

Right now on Ebay, you can do a search for something you want to buy and put in the ebay search this for example

Mens wallets from china, what comes up is a list of wallets you can buy direct from china via epacket delivery they are half or less the price of american retailers for the same wallet and the shipping is free but takes longer to get to you.

Amazon sells some stuff direct from china, so does other sites its GROWING and growing quickly.

They are NEVER going to get everyone to pay sales tax on those purchases. First of all chinese retailers wont pay it and states would have to start a whole new bureacracy to chase down purchasers.

When they start up taxing the entire internet you are going to see a whole host of changes to how people buy.