PDA

View Full Version : D.E.A. Launders Mexican Profits of Drug Cartels

Conley
12-04-2011, 09:24 AM
WASHINGTON — Undercover American narcotics agents have laundered or smuggled millions of dollars in drug proceeds as part of Washington’s expanding role in Mexico's fight against drug cartels, according to current and former law enforcement officials.

The agents, primarily with the Drug Enforcement Administration (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/d/drug_enforcement_administration/index.html?inline=nyt-org), have handled shipments of hundreds of thousands of dollars in illegal cash across borders, those officials said, to identify how criminal organizations move their money, where they keep their assets and, most important, who their leaders are.

They said agents had deposited the drug proceeds in accounts designated by traffickers, or in shell accounts set up by agents.The officials said that while the D.E.A. conducted such operations in other countries, it began doing so in Mexico only in the past few years.

The high-risk activities raise delicate questions about the agency’s effectiveness in bringing down drug kingpins, underscore diplomatic concerns about Mexican sovereignty, and blur the line between surveillance and facilitating crime. As it launders drug money, the agency often allows cartels to continue their operations over months or even years before making seizures or arrests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/world/americas/us-drug-agents-launder-profits-of-mexican-cartels.html

Your tax dollars at work. Millions of dollars going back and forth over the border and the DEA lets it slide. I wonder how much money ends up in the pockets of these guys on the border...it's hard to keep track of all that dough. A few dimes here, a few dimes there. The war on drugs has made a lot of people rich.

MMC
12-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Especially DEA agents.....huh?

Conley
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Especially DEA agents.....huh?

Oh yeah, right up the chain. Seized drug money pays for all those sweet offices and pimp rides. All perfectly legal, if not moral.

Mister D
12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't find this as troubling as the gun running. You might be able to justify this.

MMC
12-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Legal in our Country you mean.....right?

Conley
12-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't find this as troubling as the gun running. You might be able to justify this.

I think it can all be justified someway or another but it gets messy when you're letting a cartel keep operating for years. It's not as troubling as Fast and Furious but I think it is more evidence of a system where the American people don't know the half of it. Any environment where there is so much money involved and people are playing fast and loose with enforcing the laws can lead to a lot of corruption IMO. I'm not comfortable with it.

Mister D
12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I think it can all be justified someway or another but it gets messy when you're letting a cartel keep operating for years. It's not as troubling as Fast and Furious but I think it is more evidence of a system where the American people don't know the half of it. Any environment where there is so much money involved and people are playing fast and loose with enforcing the laws can lead to a lot of corruption IMO. I'm not comfortable with it.

They had to do that to fight organized crime, didn't they? There were some scandals but organized crime isn't what it used to be because of federal efforts.

MMC
12-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Hmmmm if I am the Government of another Country and they bust somes of my people with millions and billions of US Dollars. That shit aint leavin my Country. Catch my drift. It's real simple the Country declares war on the US......keeps all the money and the neat gadgets. Then when the US Navy and Air Force, Marines and Army arrive. The Country Surrenders!

Now we all one big family......welfare programs to take care of the countrys people, some nation building and infrastucture, country's peeps get to become US Citizens no immigration problems. Parties for US Polticians and hey it's all Democracy. Or otherwise known in that country as Demo-Crazy. :laugh: