PDA

View Full Version : Maybe The IRS has something the GOP doesn't ... 20/20 Vision

Cigar
05-17-2013, 11:07 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc9ffkbhdh1qapkmyo1_500.png

Yesterday, President Obama rightly disciplined two I.R.S. employees for unfairly targeting conservative groups and the IRS’ acting director Steven Miller resigned. Wonderful. I’m glad someone’s taking the fall. (***Edit***: Looking back, it’s unclear what role Miller had in any of this, so while it’s good to see action, this is really more symbolic than anything else.)

However, there’s another scandal that’s been taking place at the IRS and it’s gone completely under the radar. Last October (and years before that, too), on “Pulpit Freedom Sunday,” more than 1,500 pastors endorsed a candidate for President during church (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/12/20/american-atheists-is-suing-the-irs-claiming-that-it-gives-preferential-treatment-to-religious-groups/) in complete violation of the law. They did it openly and proudly, people documented them doing it, the material was sent to the I.R.S. … and nothing happened.
Past of the reason is bureaucracy. A “high-level” employee had to authorize the audits and there was no one around who fit that description. There appeared to be no rush to fill that position, either.

Rev. Barry Lynn of Americans United for Separation of Church and State explains why this is such a big deal:

These activities are not permitted. No tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization — religious or non-religious — can engage in behaviors designed to intervene in an election by endorsing or opposing a candidate. This is so because one of the conditions of tax exemption (which is very lucrative benefit) is that the groups holding it must refrain from this type of overt partisan politicking.
But some houses of worship do it anyway. They openly violate the law and even brag about it……

If the IRS wants to be more aggressive and crack down on law-breakers, it need not spend time subjecting Tea Party groups to extra scrutiny because someone decides their names raise red flags or an official frets that they might possibly step over some political lines.

That’s all theoretical. Meanwhile, there are houses of worship breaking the law right now by endorsing or opposing candidates. That’s not theoretical. They are doing it. And they’re doing it openly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barry-w-lynn/church-electioneering-and_b_3267250.html

We’re talking about millions of dollars that should not be in the hands of these churches… if only the I.R.S. would do something about it. If these churches played by the rules, we wouldn’t have this problem, but we know that we can’t count on churches to do the right thing on their own. They have to be monitored. Church/state watchdog groups like AU have already done the work for the I.R.S., but it’s up to the government to take the next step.

Chris
05-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Churches that politicize should not be tax exempt.

Cigar
05-17-2013, 11:37 AM

If it's a Social or Community No-Partisan campaign then it's fine with me ...

Like "Get Out The Vote" ... as long as you're not telling people who to Vote for.

Chris
05-17-2013, 11:38 AM
If it's a Social or Community No-Partisan campaign then it's fine with me ...

Like "Get Out The Vote" ... as long as you're not telling people who to Vote for.

Or promoting less taxes, smaller government, more liberty.

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Sorry, but that is not the law. A church or a tax-exempt Org. Can be in politics, but they can't endorse or oppose a candidate or Party.

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc9ffkbhdh1qapkmyo1_500.png

However, there’s another scandal that’s been taking place at the IRS and it’s gone completely under the radar. Last October (and years before that, too), on “Pulpit Freedom Sunday,” more than 1,500 pastors endorsed a candidate for President during church (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/12/20/american-atheists-is-suing-the-irs-claiming-that-it-gives-preferential-treatment-to-religious-groups/) in complete violation of the law. They did it openly and proudly, people documented them doing it, the material was sent to the I.R.S. … and nothing happened.

Rev. Barry Lynn of Americans United for Separation of Church and State explains why this is such a big deal:

These activities are not permitted. No tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization — religious or non-religious — can engage in behaviors designed to intervene in an election by endorsing or opposing a candidate. This is so because one of the conditions of tax exemption (which is very lucrative benefit) is that the groups holding it must refrain from this type of overt partisan politicking.
But some houses of worship do it anyway. They openly violate the law and even brag about it……

If the IRS wants to be more aggressive and crack down on law-breakers,.

Yes, The vast majority of these Churches are Black Churches who the IRS will never go after, so they go after Tea party groups to vent their frustration.

Chris
05-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry, but that is not the law. A church or a tax-exempt Org. Can be in politics, but they can't endorse or oppose a candidate or Party.

The example here is endorsement.

killianr1
05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
IRS Commissioner Unsure if It’s OK Pro-Life Group Asked to Disclose Prayer Content by Steven Ertelt | Washington, DC | LifeNews.com | 5/17/13 1:06 PM

Print (http://www.lifenews.com/2013/05/17/irs-commissioner-unsure-if-its-ok-pro-life-group-asked-to-disclose-prayer-content/?pr=1)
Email (http://www.lifenews.com/2013/05/17/irs-commissioner-unsure-if-its-ok-pro-life-group-asked-to-disclose-prayer-content/?em=1)
National (http://www.lifenews.com/category/national/)

http://w.sharethis.com/images/check-big.png49

Sharehttp://w.sharethis.com/images/check-small.png

As the IRS discrimination scandal grows, the head of the agency had an embarrassing moment this morning during a House hearing.
During intense questioning at a Congressional hearing this morning Rep. Aaron Schock asked acting commissioner Steven Miller if the IRS has asked a pro-life group about the content of its prayers.
Leading conservative activists and bloggers followed the morning hearing:
So they only grilled them for a list of contributors, consumed a great deal of their time (taking away time they could have been campaigning), denying them a tax exempt status and apparently trying to find out what they were praying for. Just another tactic of lying and diluting your opponents strength to steal an election.

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 01:01 PM
The example here is endorsement.

Yes, but they can do all kinds of other political stuff.

roadmaster
05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Didn't Rev Jackson and the others endorse Obama? How about Obamas old church. Did anyone on the left call them out. In fact they started it. So it's ok for one side and not the other. None of the Churches around me endorsed anyone. Don't point out one sign while the good rev,s were on TV promoting Obama.

killianr1
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
The example here is endorsement. (On the lighter side on a related topic.) Anna Pierre mayoral candidate for North Miami is advertising that she is endorsed by Jesus Christ

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
(On the lighter side on a related topic.) Anna Pierre mayoral candidate for North Miami is advertising that she is endorsed by Jesus Christ

Yes and she lost.

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Didn't Rev Jackson and the others endorse Obama? How about Obamas old church. Did anyone on the left call them out. In fact they started it. So it's ok for one side and not the other. None of the Churches around me endorsed anyone. Don't point out one sign while the good rev,s were on TV promoting Obama.

Yes, The Rev Jesse Jackson and his tax-exempt Org. and Church went on TV and endorsed Obama in 2008. What did the IRS do about that?

jillian
05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Or promoting less taxes, smaller government, more liberty.

that's a political agenda having nothing to do with the general welfare of society

jillian
05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Yes, The Rev Jesse Jackson and his tax-exempt Org. and Church went on TV and endorsed Obama in 2008. What did the IRS do about that?

who'd the 700 club endorse?

jillian
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes and she lost.

cause she's a wackadoodle

she said satan won.

i wonder if anyone's told jesus

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 01:30 PM
that's a political agenda having nothing to do with the general welfare of society

What a joke, that has every thing to do with the general welfare of American society

Chris

It's not advocating candidates, it is political, and it has everything to do with the general welfare of society--as opposed to the special interest corrupt crony capitalist government we have.

roadmaster
Yes, The Rev Jesse Jackson and his tax-exempt Org. and Church went on TV and endorsed Obama in 2008. What did the IRS do about that? Nothing. I don't think Preachers should endorse a candidate but now the people who attend have a right to voice an opinion like everyone else. Just like Rev. Graham, he said vote with your heart and the left went crazy but Jackson said vote for Obama and no one said anything.

Mainecoons
Bagdad Jillian, maybe you need to read what Peggy Noonan has to say about this.

OTOH, it doesn't appear that you read anything but far, far left wackos for whom Obama can do no wrong.

Carry on.

The rest of you will find this a very well written indictment of this corrupt, incompetent administration.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323582904578487460479247792.html

And it would be shameful and shallow for any Republican operative or operator to make this scandal into a commercial and turn it into a mere partisan arguing point and part of the game. It's not part of the game. This is not about the usual partisan slugfest. This is about the integrity of our system of government and our ability to trust, which is to say our ability to function.

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 01:31 PM
who'd the 700 club endorse?

No one, they are not tax exempt, and they pay taxes.

Mainecoons
05-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Noonan also hits the nail on the head here:

The president, as usual, acts as if all of this is totally unconnected to him. He's shocked, it's unacceptable, he'll get to the bottom of it. He read about it in the papers, just like you.But he is not unconnected, he is not a bystander. This is his administration. Those are his executive agencies. He runs the IRS and the Justice Department.
A president sets a mood, a tone. He establishes an atmosphere. If he is arrogant, arrogance spreads. If he is too partisan, too disrespecting of political adversaries, that spreads too. Presidents always undo themselves and then blame it on the third guy in the last row in the sleepy agency across town.

From the beginning, this has been a racist, partisan, arrogant POTUS who has made no secret of his disrespect for the Constitution or the rule of law. Just as with our colleges, the government bureaucracy is riddled with leftists who took their cue from Mr. Obama to carry out these action.

It started at the top and it is the top that needs to be changed. And that most definitely includes Biden who is very much a co-player in these attitudes.

nic34
05-17-2013, 01:42 PM
It's not advocating candidates, it is political, and it has everything to do with the general welfare of society--as opposed to the special interest corrupt crony capitalist government we have.

.... but you'd "throw the baby out with the bathwater".... so to speak.... and offer nothing but the same corrupt corporations as the "private" alternative.

Chris
05-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Noonan also hits the nail on the head here:

From the beginning, this has been a racist, partisan, arrogant POTUS who has made no secret of his disrespect for the Constitution or the rule of law. Just as with our colleges, the government bureaucracy is riddled with leftists who took their cue from Mr. Obama to carry out these action.

It started at the top and it is the top that needs to be changed. And that most definitely includes Biden who is very much a co-player in these attitudes.[/FONT][/COLOR]

But he only does that when things look bad. Can you imagine his saying I only learded of UBL's death reading it in the news? lol

Chris
05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
.... but you'd "throw the baby out with the bathwater".... so to speak.... and offer nothing but the same corrupt corporations as the "private" alternative.

How so? Corrupt corporations should be prosecuted just as much as corrupt government. Get rid of both.

Cigar
05-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Nothing. I don't think Preachers should endorse a candidate but now the people who attend have a right to voice an opinion like everyone else. Just like Rev. Graham, he said vote with your heart and the left went crazy but Jackson said vote for Obama and no one said anything.

I don't think you have to have a Church or an Organization for be called a Reverend :)

I'm sure an individual is still allowed to freedom of speech, but an Organization is ... ohhhhhhh wait a minute .... :laugh:

Chris
05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't think you have to have a Church or an Organization for be called a Reverend :)

I'm sure an individual is still allowed to freedom of speech, but an Organization is ... ohhhhhhh wait a minute .... :laugh:

That's what roadmaster said when she posted "I don't think Preachers should endorse a candidate but now the people who attend have a right to voice an opinion like everyone else."

So you agree. Great!!

Cigar
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
That's what roadmaster said when she posted "I don't think Preachers should endorse a candidate but now the people who attend have a right to voice an opinion like everyone else."

So you agree. Great!!

At the end of the day ... there should only be one person allowed in the Voting Booth at the time the ballot is cast.

They can watch as much Campaign Adds as they can without throwing up.

That's One (1) person ... One (1) Vote.

Period!

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
At the end of the day ... there should only be one person allowed in the Voting Booth at the time the ballot is cast.

Period!

Who said other wise?

Chris
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Period!

What about those dead people in Chitown voting all the time?

TheDictator
05-17-2013, 02:51 PM
The Democrat Party alway get 100% of the dead vote.