PDA

View Full Version : Oopps; Judge rules tea party group a PAC, not a nonprofit - Well No Shit

Cigar
05-20-2013, 07:12 AM
A Travis County district court judge ruled this week that a Houston-based tea party group is not a nonprofit corporation as it claims, but an unregistered political action committee that illegally aided the Republican Party through its poll-watching efforts during the 2010 elections.

The summary judgment by Judge John Dietz upheld several Texas campaign finance laws that had been challenged on constitutional grounds by King Street Patriots, a tea party organization known for its "True the Vote" effort to uncover voter fraud.

The ruling grew out of a 2010 lawsuit filed by the Texas Democratic Party against the King Street Patriots. The Democrats charged that the organization made unlawful political contributions to the Texas Republican Party and various Republican candidates by training poll watchers in cooperation with the party and its candidates and by holding candidate forums only for GOP candidates.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Judge-rules-tea-party-group-a-PAC-not-a-nonprofit-3442532.php#src=fb

... and this is a surprise to no one but TeaBaggers. :rollseyes:

Chris
05-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Just went to their web site: http://www.kingstreetpatriots.org/about-us. I don't see them claiming to be part of the tea party movement. If they did, there are many who claim to be but aren't. So it's good to separate the wheat from the chaffe.

patrickt
05-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Just went to their web site: http://www.kingstreetpatriots.org/about-us. I don't see them claiming to be part of the tea party movement. If they did, there are many who claim to be but aren't. So it's good to separate the wheat from the chaffe.

My god, Chris, you mean Cigar was lying again? Hard to believe. But, in his defense, he just sends on what his handlers send him. He doesn't actually read them.

And, as we know, the government has key words that indicate any individual or group are enemies of the regime. Some of the words are patriot, as in this case, or freedom or liberty or American. Some innocents will get caught up just as they did in Stalin's purges but that's the price leftists pay for eternal vigilance. Of course, it's isn't actually leftists paying the price, is it? We'll be hearing soon that audits are a lot more expensive than a bullet in the head.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm sure Internet Political Experts knowledge of the Law is far and above that of District Court Judge

... how silly of me to question the wisdom of the almighty Political Forum Gurus :laugh:

Mainecoons
05-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Amazing, Cigar, that you are so stupid that you can't get it that government will use the same tactics against your side when it suits them in the future.

Government wants to evolve into totalitarianism. People like you help them do so. And then they come after you when you figure out how bad you screwed up and try to fight back.

I suggest you spend a little time trying to remedy the gross defects in your education and try studying a little history.

jillian
05-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Amazing, Cigar, that you are so stupid that you can't get it that government will use the same tactics against your side when it suits them in the future.

Government wants to evolve into totalitarianism. People like you help them do so. And then they come after you when you figure out how bad you screwed up and try to fight back.

I suggest you spend a little time trying to remedy the gross defects in your education and try studying a little history.

you know what, i agree with you. targeting groups for political purpose should never be done.

the only known 501(c)(4) applicant to have its status denied happens to be a progressive group: the Maine chapter of Emerge America, which trains Democratic women to run for office. Although the group did no electoral work, and didn’t participate in independent expenditure campaign activity either, its partisan status apparently disqualified it from being categorized as working for the “common good.”Ironically, the national organization and its earlier chapters had gotten tax-exempt status by the IRS during the Bush administration in 2006. But it appears as though the Maine group’s rejection triggered a review of the entire organization, and Emerge America and all of its chapters had their tax-exempt status revoked. Emerge reincorporated with 527 status, which requires it to report its donors. You can read the IRS letters explaining its decisions at the bottom of this post.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/15/meet_the_group_the_irs_actually_revoked_democrats/

but... if you want tax exempt status, then you'd better not be politicking.... whether you're left OR right.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 09:24 AM

I suggest you blow me ... :wink:

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:30 AM
My god, Chris, you mean Cigar was lying again? Hard to believe. But, in his defense, he just sends on what his handlers send him. He doesn't actually read them.

And, as we know, the government has key words that indicate any individual or group are enemies of the regime. Some of the words are patriot, as in this case, or freedom or liberty or American. Some innocents will get caught up just as they did in Stalin's purges but that's the price leftists pay for eternal vigilance. Of course, it's isn't actually leftists paying the price, is it? We'll be hearing soon that audits are a lot more expensive than a bullet in the head.

No, he saw a headline and bought it hook line and sinker.

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm sure Internet Political Experts knowledge of the Law is far and above that of District Court Judge

... how silly of me to question the wisdom of the almighty Political Forum Gurus :laugh:

Provide the judge's opinion in the case, not the news headline.

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:34 AM
you know what, i agree with you. targeting groups for political purpose should never be done.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/15/meet_the_group_the_irs_actually_revoked_democrats/

but... if you want tax exempt status, then you'd better not be politicking.... whether you're left OR right.

Agree, but the IRS crime was not so much denial as harassment.

And that is the nature of big government, it becomes too big to fail and its interests rise about those of the people.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Provide the judge's opinion in the case, not the news headline.

Nope I'm not, you can either except the story or not as is, just like each and every other news story posted on this forum. :grin:

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Nope I'm not, you can either except the story or not as is, just like each and every other news story posted on this forum. :grin:

I provided link to the groups web site. There is no claim there to their being part of the tea party movement.

That the law worked in the case is good.

jillian
05-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Agree, but the IRS crime was not so much denial as harassment.

And that is the nature of big government, it becomes too big to fail and its interests rise about those of the people.

no. harassment would be repeated requests for unnecessary information. putting an application in your "to do" pile and making them cool their heels isn't "harassment".

and again, you keep using the word "crime". what crime?

we agree that the people should be dealt with appropriately. we agree that no group should be "targeted". but what crime?

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:43 AM
no. harassment would be repeated requests for unnecessary information. putting an application in your "to do" pile and making them cool their heels isn't "harassment".

again, you keep using the word "crime". what crime?

we agree that the people should be dealt with appropriately. we agree that no group should be "targeted". but what crime?

And that's what happened.

The IRS has already admitted to and apologized for the crime.

jillian
05-20-2013, 09:44 AM
And that's what happened.

The IRS has already admitted to and apologized for the crime.

no. they apologized for wrongdoing.

what statute was violated? no "crime" exists absent violation of criminal statutes.

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Look into the case just a bit more. The judge ruled the group a front for the Republican Party. It was therefore not a tea party group.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I provided link to the groups web site. There is no claim there to their being part of the tea party movement.

That the law worked in the case is good.

Well obviously they’ll be filing an appeal and hiring you as their attorney for the appeal process.

Good Luck Counselor :laugh:

jillian
Look into the case just a bit more. The judge ruled the group a front for the Republican Party. It was therefore not a tea party group.

how so? the tea people are nothing more than the furthest right of the GOP.

Chris
no. they apologized for wrongdoing.

what statute was violated? no "crime" exists absent violation of federal or state criminal laws.

I see we're going to quibble over semantics, crime, wrongdoing, violating requirements of political neutrality.

jillian
05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
I see we're going to quibble over semantics, crime, wrongdoing, violating requirements of political neutrality.

it's not semantics. not every act of wrongdoing is a crime.

a crime is a violation of criminal statute.

otherwise you're just engaging in hyperbole.

and that and $2.50 will get you on a NYC subway.

words have meaning.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 09:47 AM

Maybe they can get a Tea Party Group to talk a the next DNC Convention sine they're not affiliated with The Republican Party. :)

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:47 AM
how so? the tea people are nothing more than the furthest right of the GOP.

No we are not. The tea party movement is focused on eliminating Reps who do not hold to less taxes, smaller government and more liberty. We are at odds with the GOP.

jillian
05-20-2013, 09:49 AM
No we are not. The tea party movement is focused on eliminating Reps who do not hold to less taxes, smaller government and more liberty. We are at odds with the GOP.

lol.. no you're not. you're at odds with the moderate members of the GOP. that's why you keep primarying them.

if you're a separate group, stop running for the GOP line on the ballot and run on your own

Chris
05-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Maybe they can get a Tea Party Group to talk a the next DNC Convention sine they're not affiliated with The Republican Party. :)

Once we've cleaned up the GOP we'll come after you all.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Don't forget to bring all your "friends" ... you'll need them. :)

Chris
lol.. no you're not. you're at odds with the moderate members of the GOP. that's why you keep primarying them.

if you're a separate group, stop running for the GOP line on the ballot and run on your own

I take it you are a member of the tea party movement to speak so authoritatively. What local group do you belong to? Oh, wait, you're a lefty, not a member at all.

We're not a party. Seems to be a common misconception of the left.

Where do you get your material from?

Chris
Don't forget to bring all your "friends" ... you'll need them. :)

You mean the OWS? You bet.

KC
05-20-2013, 09:57 AM

I suggest you blow me ... :wink:

Warning: Watch the insults, taunts and personal attacks.
Cigar Mainecoons

jillian
05-20-2013, 09:59 AM
I take it you are a member of the tea party movement to speak so authoritatively. What local group do you belong to? Oh, wait, you're a lefty, not a member at all.

We're not a party. Seems to be a common misconception of the left.

Where do you get your material from?

ah... so you have to be a member of the teaparty to know about it?

stop running in GOP primaries and be your own party then.

that's all.

until then, you're nothing but the radical right of the GOP who's angry that you lost and are doing nothing but dragging the party out of the mainstream.

simpsonofpg
05-20-2013, 10:12 AM

The left are useful for now, when they are no longer useful he will turn on them as well. We know it and are getting prepared but Cigar is going to be reall suprised.

Cigar
05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Sorry ... just a suggestion :)

Chris
05-20-2013, 10:22 AM
ah... so you have to be a member of the teaparty to know about it?

stop running in GOP primaries and be your own party then.

that's all.

until then, you're nothing but the radical right of the GOP who's angry that you lost and are doing nothing but dragging the party out of the mainstream.

No, but nothing you have said is true, it's just liberal media trash talk.

We don't run in GOP primaries, why you making that up, we support candidates who's political philosophy aligns with less taxes, smaller government and more liberty.

Why would we want to become a party or join any party?

Why are you so concerned about the GOP? As a leftist you ought to be celebrating, like cigar.

Less taxes, smaller government, more liberty is radical? Compared to leftist fascism, yea, I supposed so.

jillian
05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
The left are useful for now, when they are no longer useful he will turn on them as well. We know it and are getting prepared but Cigar is going to be reall suprised.

the president?

he's left "the left" hanging out to dry for five years.

otherwise, the ACA would be single payor

he would never have signed off on the cuts made by the right

he would never have signed the bill relieving the air traffic controllers from the sequester.

and, frankly, he wouldn't be doing drone attacks, which "the left" hates.

he's done nothing but compromise with you guys... up to and including using the heritage foundation/romney plan as the basis for health reform.

and you know very well, it didn't matter how much compromising he did... mcconnell said from day one that he wouldn't work with this president. and the stated purpose of the teaparty congress is to obstruct at all costs.

jillian
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
No, but nothing you have said is true, it's just liberal media trash talk.

We don't run in GOP primaries, why you making that up, we support candidates who's political philosophy aligns with less taxes, smaller government and more liberty.

Why would we want to become a party or join any party?

Why are you so concerned about the GOP? As a leftist you ought to be celebrating, like cigar.

Less taxes, smaller government, more liberty is radical? Compared to leftist fascism, yea, I supposed so.

yes, Chris, we should believe what you say and not what we see.

but thanks for restating what you guys "say" you are.

Chris
05-20-2013, 10:36 AM
yes, Chris, we should believe what you say and not what we see.

but thanks for restating what you guys "say" you are.

So once again with you political discussion devolves into a personal issue.

We are what we say and do. Not what you and liberals and conservatives misrepresent us as.

Agravan
05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
The left should remember one thing: Once the revolution is over, there is no longer any need for revolutionaries.