PDA

View Full Version : Foooooooooooooooooooood :)

Common
05-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Ok I took a step on the darkside I was fearful but I said one taste wont kill me if its bad.

I never let me repeat "NEVER" buy meat or chicken from super walmart. We do go there to shop for hard goods and theres things they sell there that I cant get elsewhere.
The other day I bought an unseasoned plain small smithfield sirloin pork roast. Smithfield is a good name in pork and it comes prepackaged from the producer.
I made it yesterday, I seasoned it with Paul PRudhommes meat magic and a pork and veal seasoning I have. It came out superb so tender it melted in your mouth and It was small theres just two of us and there is just enough left for two sandwichs for lunch. Dont hesitate to buy it if youre in walmart. I dont like the preseasoned because they inject water into the meat.

zelmo1234
05-20-2013, 03:19 PM
While great cuts of beef, make a huge difference, and what chickens are fed and how they are raised also makes a difference in the taste, Pork is all about being fresh to a large extent!

And while I use butcher shops for a lot of things, I like to go to the busiest store in twon for pork!

oceanloverOH
05-20-2013, 03:27 PM
I do shop at Super Wal-Mart occasionally....they carry things I can't find at other grocery stores. (though I don't usually buy dairy there....their milk and eggs are always just on the verge of expiring). They have things like pre-chopped fresh fruit (strawberries, apples, pineapple, melon); veggies (carrots, celery, onions, etc.) - - since I can't stand for very long to chop this is a GREAT boon for me. Also they carry dried fruit snacks with no sugar added, usually by Dole or Sunkist (pineapple, apple, mango, mixed fruit....great snacks!) And I have had really good luck with their meat dept, though like you I stick to well-known brand names and check expiration or sell-by dates diligently....and I never buy preseasoned meat because you don't really know what you're getting. I shall have to try a Smithfield pork roast, and I have lots of Chef Paul no sugar/salt seasoning blends (love 'em). How did you prepare it? Just seasoned and baked in the oven at the temp and for the time recommended on the package?

Common
05-22-2013, 01:33 AM
I rubbed it with a couple of different seasonings and I roast most of the time in this.

http://www.amazon.com/Morningware-HO1200-MorningWare-HO-1200-Halogen/dp/B000B8YOHG

oceanloverOH
05-22-2013, 06:52 AM
I've never seen an appliance like that....how cool! I bet it's great in the summer to oven-bake foods without heating up the kitchen.

jillian
05-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Ok I took a step on the darkside I was fearful but I said one taste wont kill me if its bad.

I never let me repeat "NEVER" buy meat or chicken from super walmart. We do go there to shop for hard goods and theres things they sell there that I cant get elsewhere.
The other day I bought an unseasoned plain small smithfield sirloin pork roast. Smithfield is a good name in pork and it comes prepackaged from the producer.
I made it yesterday, I seasoned it with Paul PRudhommes meat magic and a pork and veal seasoning I have. It came out superb so tender it melted in your mouth and It was small theres just two of us and there is just enough left for two sandwichs for lunch. Dont hesitate to buy it if youre in walmart. I dont like the preseasoned because they inject water into the meat.

we don't have a walmart near us. and i don't shop at walmart, anyway, but i've found that BJ's has the best brisket around. also very soft.

Sytha
05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
we don't have a walmart near us. and i don't shop at walmart, anyway, but i've found that BJ's has the best brisket around. also very soft.

no walmarts near us either, the closed is about 40 miles. What i did find funny was that walmart meat was featured in gordon ramsays master chef series last year. So i stopped in an looked at this new line of meats. While it looked better then what i think of as walmart meats... it sure did no look like what was on the show!!

I am wondering if he is going to do that again tonight.

Common
05-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Yep I belong to BJs and ive had their brisket excellent

Common
05-22-2013, 07:46 PM
no walmarts near us either, the closed is about 40 miles. What i did find funny was that walmart meat was featured in gordon ramsays master chef series last year. So i stopped in an looked at this new line of meats. While it looked better then what i think of as walmart meats... it sure did no look like what was on the show!!

Walmarts new meat is a step up from garbage they used to sell. Its boxed beef same as the old one.
If you ask a walmart butcher if he eats walmart meat he will either say NO or smirk.

jillian
05-22-2013, 08:01 PM

i didn't see him do anything like that. but walmart was one of the sponsors.

jillian
05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Yep I belong to BJs and ive had their brisket excellent

i make a wicked brisket....

but an even better meat loaf.

Peter1469
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
I love meat loaf!

jillian
05-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I love meat loaf!

one of life's great pleasures

Sytha
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
i didn't see him do anything like that. but walmart was one of the sponsors.

yeah, last year it was front and center. It was gordan holding a steak saying... and the lovely meat from walmart.....omg! Lets put it this way, it looked good enough for me to at least see it for myself..... lol

i see they are sponsors again, so i am also sure they will feature the meats again.

Sytha
05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
i make a wicked brisket....

but an even better meat loaf.
:boozing:

Sytha
05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
I love meat loaf!

hot meat loaf sandwiches! YUMMY!

jillian
05-22-2013, 10:29 PM
hot meat loaf sandwiches! YUMMY!

ah.. .but i give the crab cake crown to you. ;)

Common
05-22-2013, 11:01 PM
one of life's great pleasures

This is the truth, I never had meatloaf growing up. My father said it was dogmeat and wouldnt have it on his table.
My wife asked me if I wanted meatloaf and instantly an alpo can popped into my head and I said no. When I finally did eat it I liked it. I do admit though I like stuffed peppers better. Do you make red or brown meatloaf jill

Common
05-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Best Crabcakes, just follow the recipe on an Old Bay package and used real king crab not the canned stuff.

Sytha
05-23-2013, 12:35 AM
ah.. .but i give the crab cake crown to you. ;)

whats not to love about 5 pounds of crab? :)

Common
05-23-2013, 09:47 AM
whats not to love about 5 pounds of crab? :)

WOOOT..I gots nuttin but luvs for ya honey :) <taken from a rap song>

jillian
05-23-2013, 11:25 AM

she actually sent me five pounds of dungeness crab as a gift.

she's a good woman.

Common
05-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Wow nice.

Sytha
05-23-2013, 04:14 PM
she actually sent me five pounds of dungeness crab as a gift.

she's a good woman.

and now i have to make meatloaf!!! i blame you!!!

lol

Sytha
05-23-2013, 04:15 PM

woohoo!

jillian
05-23-2013, 04:27 PM

and now i have to make meatloaf!!! i blame you!!!

lol

don't forget the wine and the gravy master around the meatloaf. ;)

Mister D
05-25-2013, 05:29 PM
nice grass fed beef chili today. Very good. Everything fresh save for the tomatoes.

simpsonofpg
05-25-2013, 05:36 PM
I only shop at WalMart when I have to. I don't like the way I am treated as a customer and I know people who work there and they can tell a story or to.