PDA

View Full Version : More On The Philly Flash Mob Attack

Conley
07-05-2011, 12:16 PM
"Earlier this week, we brought you news about last weekend's assault by a mob of teenagers on a group that included our own Emily Guendelsberger. As of now, Emily is still hospitalized, recovering from surgery to repair a broken leg suffered in the attack. But before she went under the knife, she managed to share her story plus the stories of others that were with her on Saturday night when the mob of teenagers attacked. Here is their story.

My leg is killing me right now—a “flash mob” beat the hell out of my friends and me and broke my tibia; I’m getting it surgically screwed back together tomorrow afternoon—they’re giving me a TSA card! [Editor’s note: Emily wrote this on Wednesday night; the last we heard, the surgery went well.] This hospital has no wi-fi; there’s only a single room with a single Internet connection accessible to patients, and I have finally made my way to it. Unfortunately, I cannot bring my beautiful morphine-dispensing button with me, and this wheelchair is clearly made for a child and is very uncomfortable."

http://www.avclub.com/philadelphia/articles/flash-mob-fallout-a-multipleperspective-account-of,58379/

The story and pictures are just insane...

Mister D
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Yep. Get your asses beat until the cops show up. That's what they ask us to do. Awful. Worse still, if one of those attacked had defended himself with deadly force he would have probably been prosecuted although I can't imagine any jury in this country convicting him.

Conley
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Yep. Get your asses beat until the cops show up. That's what they ask us to do. Awful. Worse still, if one of those attacked had defended himself with deadly force he would have probably been prosecuted although I can't imagine any jury in this country convicting him.

Yes, and if someone had defended him/herself there would have been many who tried to make it a racial issue.

In the story the cops said they couldn't do anything because the victims couldn't give positive IDs. What the police should have done is just round up the whole mob, and then start questioning them and examining them for the blood of the victims.

Mister D
07-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Yes, and if someone had defended him/herself there would have been many who tried to make it a racial issue.

In the story the cops said they couldn't do anything because the victims couldn't give positive IDs. What the police should have done is just round up the whole mob, and then start questioning them and examining them for the blood of the victims.

No doubt. As if you'd let some lily white preppy kids stomp you into the ground. ::)

I agree. Round 'em all up and see what's up. Hey, where'd that bllood on your sneaker come from?

Conley
07-05-2011, 01:49 PM

No doubt. As if you'd let some lily white preppy kids stomp you into the ground. ::)

I agree. Round 'em all up and see what's up. Hey, where'd that bllood on your sneaker come from?

Exactly...one of the vic's apparently had a perfect sneaker impression on his forehead from where he had been stomped. Easy enough to compare the patterns.

My hunch is that the cops didn't feel they had the manpower on scene to deal with the mob and higher ups probably didn't want to deal with the political ramifications of rounding up a bunch of minorities, some of whom would undoubtedly be innocent bystanders.

Mister D
07-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Exactly...one of the vic's apparently had a perfect sneaker impression on his forehead from where he had been stomped. Easy enough to compare the patterns.

My hunch is that the cops didn't feel they had the manpower on scene to deal with the mob and higher ups probably didn't want to deal with the political ramifications of rounding up a bunch of minorities, some of whom would undoubtedly be innocent bystanders.

That's true. They do that for burglaries.

Sounds about right. I guess some of these people (i.e. those attacked) are just glad to be alive right now.

Conley
07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Yep, that and they don't have 'community organizers' to push for justice...the middle class will just sit back and take it.

Mister D
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Yep, that and they don't have 'community organizers' to push for justice...the middle class will just sit back and take it.

Not in every state. I can't see that shit happening in Austin, for example. In NJ, NY and PA? Yepper.

Conley
07-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Not in every state. I can't see that shit happening in Austin, for example. In NJ, NY and PA? Yepper.

Ah, that's a good point although from what I've read Austin is very liberal. I guess in Texas citizens have the right to defend themselves so this never would have happened in the first place.

Mister D
07-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Ah, that's a good point although from what I've read Austin is very liberal. I guess in Texas citizens have the right to defend themselves so this never would have happened in the first place.

Not to play Mister D: Tough Guy. I don't know if I could just whip out a pistol and kill some kid but I'd like to have the right to defend myself. I'm in great shape but I ain't gonna beat 30 teenagers or even 3 of them.

Conley
07-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Not to play Mister D: Tough Guy. I don't know if I could just whip out a pistol and kill some kid but I'd like to have the right to defend myself. I'm in great shape but I ain't gonna beat 30 teenagers or even 3 of them.

I think (hope) that just being armed would be enough to get them to back off, but yeah, it would be awful to be in a position to have to finish things.

Mister D
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM

I think (hope) that just being armed would be enough to get them to back off, but yeah, it would be awful to be in a position to have to finish things.

What I think is cool about right to carry states is simply that since you are likely to be armed it will put the fear of God in many potential perps. Not all of them but you won't have much of that sort of random nonsense we just saw in Phila.

Conley
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I think that's generally true. You also have to consider that pulling your gun means that someone else will likely pull his, and if you pull out a gun you have to be prepared to use it or it can end up being turned on you. Having said that, I'd still choose to be armed in a situation like that. I'd run first but if I got trapped or cornered then I would do what I had to in order to survive.

freecell
07-05-2011, 11:06 PM
That's why I am not against people carrying guns. It wouldn't faze me one bit to shoot into that crowd.