PDA

View Full Version : Jobless claims show sharp improvement - Quick we need another scandal

Cigar
05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Jobless claims show sharp improvement

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=steve-benen8478B72E-4BE8-4FD7-4EBB-54E1EAE0FD3C.jpg

Though last week's report on initial unemployment claims was a jolt of unexpectedly bad news, the new figures out this morning point in a more encouraging direction.

The number of people who applied for new unemployment benefits fell by 23,000 to 340,000 in the week ended May 18, the U.S. government said Thursday, keeping the level of initial claims in a range consistent with modest job growth. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch expected claims to drop to a seasonally adjusted 343,000. The average of new claims over the past month, a more reliable gauge than the volatile weekly number, edged down by 500 to 339,500, the Labor Department said Thursday. That's just above a five-year low.
<...>

In terms of metrics, when jobless claims fall below the 400,000 threshold, it's considered evidence of an improving jobs landscape, and when the number drops below 370,000, it suggests jobs are being created rather quickly. We've been below the 370,000 threshold 20 of the last 23 weeks, and below 350,000 in five of the last seven weeks.

Above you'll find the chart showing weekly, initial unemployment claims going back to the beginning of 2007. (Remember, unlike the monthly jobs chart, a lower number is good news.) For context, I've added an arrow to show the point at which President Obama's Recovery Act began spending money.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/05/23/18443544-jobless-claims-show-sharp-improvement

Can't have this before the next Presidential Election

truthmatters
05-23-2013, 08:46 AM
there is always another debt ceiling threat

zelmo1234
05-23-2013, 08:48 AM
That is good news, we are finally back to where we were when he took office with just about 6 million jobs to go to get the workforce numbers back

But progress is progress and that is a good thing!

Cigar
05-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm sure The GOP will find some way to obstruct progress ...

truthmatters
05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
so now your admitting there is progress.

that is progress.

we have been getting better since Obama took office even while the right did nothing but try to destroy the peoples choice of Obama

Cigar
05-23-2013, 08:55 AM
so now your admitting there is progress.

that is progress.

we have been getting better since Obama took office even while the right did nothing but try to destroy the peoples choice of Obama

When you're loosing blood, the first thing is to stop the bleeding ... then you do the transfusion.

truthmatters
05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
this patient requires an amputation of the rotten and dieased body party which is the lie based base.

they cant ever win another national elections with the tea party mind set

zelmo1234
05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
You are correct and I have never stated that thing have not been getting better, the best stimulis of all has been the sequester look at the economic data since it took effect?

Yes I oppose his policies because they are badk for business and economic growth!

If you compare it to the bottom of the housing crash we are getting better, but if you compare it to even june 2008 we have a long way to go just to get back to the starting point!

I know tht you believe in wealth redistribution but that does not work only growing the wealth of everyone make a better standard of living.
Recessions are wehn the rich get richer because it is a fire sale!

I will give you one example when the market was falling through the 7K's were you buying or selling. The rich were buying and buying big. now that it is over 15K how much do you think that they made.?

The rich bought housing as the poor and middle class were hit by the recession and the very slow recovery , they including myself bought it for pennies on the dollar, and are now renting it to those that once pruchased! when the market and pricing returns we will sell the homes and make even more money!

What the poor and middle class need is great fulltime jobs with benifits, and what they are getting is Higher taxes, higher energy prices, more regulations and Obamacare and all of those things hurt job growth!

truthmatters
05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
how can you call cuts stimulus?

that is completely insane

simpsonofpg
05-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Great graph, no one finds fault with your art is is your fact or lack of they we complain about. Where is the info and the number of people who have dropped out of the market because they have either given up or learned to live on the free money Obama is giving them.

Mainecoons
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
This means fewer people are being laid off and then applying for unemployment. It has nothing to do with the growing numbers who have exhausted benefits and still don't have jobs.

It is always fun to watch Cigar demonstrate how little he understands employment data.

BB-35
05-23-2013, 07:32 PM
this patient requires an amputation of the rotten and dieased body party which is the lie based base.

they cant ever win another national elections with the tea party mind set
Someday you might acually find out what the tea party really about.

But I doubt it will sink in.