PDA

View Full Version : Obama calls on Congress to allow transfer of GITMO detainees

Cigar
05-23-2013, 01:38 PM
From text of today's Counterterrorism speech:

Today, I once again call on Congress to lift the restrictions on detainee transfers from GTMO. I have asked the Department of Defense to designate a site in the United States where we can hold military commissions. I am appointing a new, senior envoy at the State Department and Defense Department whose sole responsibility will be to achieve the transfer of detainees to third countries. I am lifting the moratorium on detainee transfers to Yemen, so we can review them on a case by case basis. To the greatest extent possible, we will transfer detainees who have been cleared to go to other countries. Where appropriate, we will bring terrorists to justice in our courts and military justice system. And we will insist that judicial review be available for every detainee.

Even after we take these steps, one issue will remain: how to deal with those GTMO detainees who we know have participated in dangerous plots or attacks, but who cannot be prosecuted – for example because the evidence against them has been compromised or is inadmissible in a court of law. But once we commit to a process of closing GTMO, I am confident that this legacy problem can be resolved, consistent with our commitment to the rule of law.

I know the politics are hard. But history will cast a harsh judgment on this aspect of our fight against terrorism, and those of us who fail to end it. Imagine a future – ten years from now, or twenty years from now – when the United States of America is still holding people who have been charged with no crime on a piece of land that is not a part of our country. Look at the current situation, where we are force-feeding detainees who are holding a hunger strike. Is that who we are? Is that something that our Founders foresaw? Is that the America we want to leave to our children?

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/read-transcript-of-obamas-speech-on-counterterrorism-policy

Ok GOP ... ball is in your court ... are you afraid of something? :laugh:

simpsonofpg
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
It is so simple, since we don't have the backbone to prosecute them just turn them loose and send them home. I think an all expense cruise is a great idea. Drop them off about 100 miles off shore in life board, give the a bottle of water, after all we are a humain society and point the way home and wish them well.

Peter1469
05-23-2013, 07:28 PM
The ones remaining who are not under criminal charges have been denied transfers by other nations. They damn well better not be transferred into the US.

jillian
05-23-2013, 07:30 PM
The ones remaining who are not under criminal charges have been denied transfers by other nations. They damn well better not be transferred into the US.

more than half of the ones remaining can return to their home country of yemen and have been cleared to do so... but for the congressional prohibition.

Peter1469
05-23-2013, 07:41 PM
more than half of the ones remaining can return to their home country of yemen and have been cleared to do so... but for the congressional prohibition.

Not what I heard. I heard that their home counties refused transfer.

Or transfer was to a country that would kill them, which is why we didn't transfer them.

waltky
09-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Released detainees goin' back to the fight...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
More Ex-Gitmo Detainees Are Returning to Terrorism: Report
Sep 17, 2016 - President Obama is facing fresh complications in his push to close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp after the U.S. intelligence community revealed in a new report that two more former prisoners have returned to the battlefield -- bringing the total number of detainees who have returned to terror under the Obama administration to nine.

The recidivism report, released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Sept. 14, covers a six-month period that ended July 15. In it, the government confirmed that at least two Gitmo prisoners released during the Obama administration, and at least two more released under former President George W. Bush's administration, have returned to "terrorist activities" during the first half of 2016. The report quickly fueled warnings from lawmakers already fighting in Congress to halt the closure effort. House Speaker Paul Ryan said the report "underscores the need" to keep the detention center operational.

The new report shows that of the 161 former detainees released during this administration, nine are "confirmed" to be "directly involved in terrorist or insurgent activities." By comparison, 532 detainees were released during the Bush administration, of which 113 have re-engaged in some type of terror-tied activity. Meanwhile, the House on Thursday passed a bill that would temporarily halt the transfer of more detainees from the U.S. naval prison. The bill, which passed by a 244-174 vote, prohibits federal funds from being used for the transfers.

http://images03.military.com/media/location/barbed-wire.jpg
Barbed wire surrounds Camp X-Ray at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base detention facility in Cuba. Now closed, the camp was the first to hold Al-Qaida and Taliban militants after the 9/11 attacks.

Rep. Jackie Walorski, R-Ind., who sponsored the bill, told Fox News.com in a written statement it is "more critical than ever that we put the safety and security of the American people first." "The administration has made clear it intends to transfer as many terrorist detainees as possible from Gitmo before the president leaves office in order to fulfill a misguided campaign promise," she said. "This is reckless, and it puts American lives at risk." Despite passage in the House, the bill has little chance of becoming law. It's not likely to survive a Senate showdown, and the White House has already threatened a veto.

The White House has been trying to close the detention facility ever since Obama took office in 2009. Efforts by the administration to shutter the prison have been blocked by bipartisan opposition in Congress. To date, 44 detainees have been transferred in 2016. Fifteen were sent to the United Arab Emirates last month. Of the 61 detainees that remain in Gitmo, 20 have been cleared for transfer. "For the president, this is about keeping a campaign promise," Ryan said in a written statement. "For us, this is about keeping Americans safe."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/09/17/amid-closure-complications-ex-gitmo-detainees-return-to-terror.html

Tahuyaman
09-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Why are American liberals so sympathetic to Islamic terrorists?

Peter1469
09-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Obama's fetish to release the Islamist at GITMO is criminal.

exploited
09-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Either bring them to the US and charge them, or shut it down. Have Congress actually do something to allow for them to be charged and receive a trial if that's what is needed to keep them.

Captain Obvious
09-18-2016, 12:19 AM
I thought teh O'bama was going to shut down Gitmo.

I guess all he can do in lame duck is offer lip service.

Captain Obvious
09-18-2016, 12:20 AM
Maybe he should just drone it and write it off as collateral damage.

Mac-7
09-18-2016, 05:54 AM
It is a little bit like capturing himmler, goring and other nazi war criminals after WWII but electing rhe son of rudolph hess president who lets them all go free.

donttread
09-18-2016, 08:54 AM
It is so simple, since we don't have the backbone to prosecute them just turn them loose and send them home. I think an all expense cruise is a great idea. Drop them off about 100 miles off shore in life board, give the a bottle of water, after all we are a humain society and point the way home and wish them well.

Including those taken there at age 15 with no real proof of wrong doing? Charge them or let them go. The particular war they were part of is over and we have moved on from war to war to war. POW's ( yeah I know that we hide behind obscure definitions not to lable them POW's) but in reality that's what they are, should be released at the end of the war. . The war they are held for is "over" charge them with war crimes or let them go. Don't create a new high level position we can't afford, that's assine.

Peter1469
09-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Either bring them to the US and charge them, or shut it down. Have Congress actually do something to allow for them to be charged and receive a trial if that's what is needed to keep them.

There is no legal requirement to charge them with anything.

Mac-7
09-18-2016, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=donttread;1729613]Including those taken there at age 15 with no real proof of wrong doing? Charge them or let them go.

/QUOTE]

Those prisoners have long since been released

Many before Obama took office

But you Muslims employ children in their jihad army don't you?

Just as hitler did in WWII

Ransom
09-18-2016, 11:47 AM
As I've opined since they opened Gitmo's doors, the prison was an act of sheer genius by Bush. Gitmo isn't the US...but it in many ways is as the US occupies by Treaty the US base at Guantanamo. It's not in the purview of either our legal system nor international courts, the prison is run by the United States Military. I can imagine our energetic youth having sleep ins at any US prison housing these men......this prison isn't accessible.

When it was considered we'd bring them here for trial, right there in NYC......security immediately became an issue. Government convinced us they'd use a three tiered security 'ring', local, state, and federal law enforcement.

Got four level security with Bush's solution.

The US Military, the Caribbean Sea, The Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic f'n ocean.

birddog
09-18-2016, 01:43 PM
I say execute the ones remaining and get Gitmo ready for the next bunch. The lawyering budget and total budget needs to be cut way back. The bleeding heart liberals who object can suck an egg!

MisterVeritis
09-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Ok GOP ... ball is in your court ... are you afraid of something? :laugh:
The answer is simple. Military tribunals right where they are. Then summary execution.

MisterVeritis
09-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Why are American liberals so sympathetic to Islamic terrorists?
Both hate the US. Birds of a feather. Peas in a pod.

Bethere
09-19-2016, 02:03 AM
I say execute the ones remaining and get Gitmo ready for the next bunch. The lawyering budget and total budget needs to be cut way back. The bleeding heart liberals who object can suck an egg!

Wow.

Bethere
09-19-2016, 02:03 AM
The answer is simple. Military tribunals right where they are. Then summary execution.

Wow.

MisterVeritis
09-19-2016, 03:54 AM

Wow.
I take that as wholehearted support. Thank you.

exploited
09-19-2016, 05:33 AM
There is no legal requirement to charge them with anything.

There is a legal obligation to determine their status under the Geneva Convention, and they are entitled to certain protections thereof in the absence of that determination.

Hamdan observes that Article 5 of the Third Geneva Convention requires that if there be "any doubt" whether he is entitled to prisoner-of-war protections, he must be afforded those protections until his status is determined by a "competent tribunal". Because we hold that Hamdan may not, in any event, be tried by the military commission the President has convened pursuant to the November 13 Order and Commission Order No. 1, the question whether his potential status as a prisoner of war independently renders illegal his trial by military commission may be reserved.[15]

Courts have since found that detainees in this Gulag are entitled to Constitutional protections.

exploited
09-19-2016, 05:34 AM

Illegal, unconstitutional and barbaric.

Bethere
09-19-2016, 09:17 PM

Don't. I am an American. I believe in due process.

I am nothing like you.

MisterVeritis
09-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Don't. I am an American. I believe in due process.

I am nothing like you.
Military tribunals offer due process. The execution at the end offers justice and closure.
It is true we are nothing alike. You are the enemy.

MisterVeritis
09-19-2016, 09:21 PM

Illegal, unconstitutional and barbaric.
There is nothing illegal, nor unconstitutional about military tribunals.

There is nothing barbaric about killing our enemies. You have taken a side. You side with the Islamofascists.

MisterVeritis
09-19-2016, 09:23 PM
There is a legal obligation to determine their status under the Geneva Convention, and they are entitled to certain protections thereof in the absence of that determination.

Courts have since found that detainees in this Gulag are entitled to Constitutional protections.
Courts can be wrong. If courts decide that unlawful combatants have Constitutional rights then the courts must be reigned in or abolished.

Bethere
09-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Military tribunals offer due process. The execution at the end offers justice and closure.
It is true we are nothing alike. You are the enemy.

They don't offer a jury of your peers to the vast majority of people. For military members, yes. For everyone else? No.

exploited
09-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Courts can be wrong. If courts decide that unlawful combatants have Constitutional rights then the courts must be reigned in or abolished.

They can be wrong, but in this case, they clearly are not. In any case, it is not up to you to decide, thank God Almighty.

There is nothing barbaric about killing our enemies. You have taken a side. You side with the Islamofascists.

No. I side with the rule of law, democracy, and justice. You side with barbarism and criminality.

Tahuyaman
09-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Not what I heard. I heard that their home counties refused transfer.

Or transfer was to a country that would kill them, which is why we didn't transfer them.

That's the same thing I've read about these remaining prisoners / detainees