PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Protest Movement Grows As Workers Strike Again

Common
05-29-2013, 07:24 PM
I make no bones about being all for the working class. Ive made a statement in the past that eventually there was going to be a resurrection of Unionism or worker protest. Walmart is the largest single employer in the US that is a testimony to how many jobs have been sent overseas.
The service and retail industry in the future may see labor organizing that hasnt been seen for decades. Workers are starting to get tired of getting what they believe is screwed over. With part time hours that they cant live on and no benefits at all. Walmart is going broke and the entire world knows that. It may be time for them to start sharing a bit more with their workers.

As Walmart workers this week resume strikes at stores around the nation (http://www.thenation.com/blog/174551/walmart-workers-launch-first-ever-prolonged-strikes-today), organizers are saying that more employees than ever have joined the ranks of the activists, with some experts going so far as to say that the movement has achieved critical mass.

According to OUR Walmart, the union-backed group behind the strikes, the number of workers who have joined the effort has increased by one-fourth in the last year. And while the nascent labor movement inside the world's largest retailer has yet to deliver better pay for workers, John Logan, a professor of labor and employment studies at San Francisco State University, thinks the strikes are a testament to the campaign's durability.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/walmart-protest-movement_n_3354735.html?utm_hp_ref=business&utm_hp_ref=business

I was going to post other sources but they would all be called left wing sites, just google and you will see other sources of the story.

Mister D
05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
There is now a gulf between the white working class and the upper classes that didn't exist when you were a kid. Sad

Common
05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
There is now a gulf between the white working class and the upper classes that didn't exist when you were a kid. Sad

Yanno D when I came home from the military. I could leave my house at 8am and be home again at 11am with a list of jobs to go over to decide which I was going to take. All had paid medical and a few sickdays and holidays and all were full time. That was back in the days when the rich put limits on their greed on their own and shared some of the fruits with their employees. Those are the days that are gone and that is the real shame.

Captain Obvious
05-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Fuck

Wal

Mart

The bastardization of American culture.

Common
05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Fuck

Wal

Mart

Yes true but the largest employer in america. Think about that let that sink in. More than sad isnt it.

patrickt
05-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Fuck

Wal

Mart

Then don't shop there. They are scarcely the bastardization of American culture. That would be liberals and the Democrats. WalMart isn't about culture. It's about selling things.

Common
05-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Then don't shop there. They are scarcely the bastardization of American culture. That would be liberals and the Democrats. WalMart isn't about culture. It's about selling things.

WHERES CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chris get over here and tell patrickt to defend his statement please :)

Mister D
05-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Ad hominem! :grin:

Mainecoons
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks to all this ObamaProsperity, Wal Mart is all more and more Americans can afford. They specialize in selling cheap, Chinese crap. Meanwhile, I see jobless claims are rising and so are T bill yields. That latter means that it is costing more and more for Obama/Congress to borrow much of their budget as people realize they have to get more interest because of the debasement of the dollar by this cabal of thieves and idiots.

The PE of the market is at 18, the recession in Europe is deepening, Japan is collapsing. Cigar, buy more stocks!

killianr1
05-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Yanno D when I came home from the military. I could leave my house at 8am and be home again at 11am with a list of jobs to go over to decide which I was going to take. All had paid medical and a few sickdays and holidays and all were full time. That was back in the days when the rich put limits on their greed on their own and shared some of the fruits with their employees. Those are the days that are gone and that is the real shame. Many of those jobs that paid decent wages, offered medical insurance, holidays, and sick days were manufacturing companies. They have been driven out by off shore manufacturing (with wage costs at a fraction of what is paid here), the highest corporate tax rate in the world, environmental and safety standards that exceed the foreign competition and drive up cost. All you need do is look at sector after sector of manufacturing that have left this country. We can not all live on service and retail jobs.

Cigar
05-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Stuck in "first-gear" ... still?

Do they check your color before you can enter Wal-Mart?

Mainecoons
05-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Here's another great Obama achievement:

72,600,000: Record Number on Medicaid in 2012; Outnumbers Populations of France and UK
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/72600000-record-number-medicaid-2012-outnumbers-populations-france-and-uk

A record 72,600,000 were enrolled in Medicaid for at least one month in fiscal 2012, up from 71,700,000 in fiscal 2011, according to the Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission (http://www.macpac.gov/reports)(MACPAC), which provides an annual report (http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/documents/MACPAC%20REPORT-2013.pdf) to Congress on Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program.

I've bolded the source of the information because we have some reading-disabled liberals here who would rather harp about who wrote the story instead of where the actual information came from. That way, they don't have to deal with the information itself and what it says about how well their ideas are working for everyone but the one percent (whom you all have succeeded in enriching with your money printing).

Taxcutter
05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
The problem for the strikers is that they are easily replaced, and the consumers will not honor their picket lines.

As for manufacturing, consider this: Today (May 30) saw the Federal Register publish 196 pages of new regulations. 196 pages is a light day. Any wonder why US manufacturing can't compete?

Cigar
05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
The one thing that scares the shit out of The GOP ... is The American people getting Medical Health Care and living longer.

That Sucks

patrickt
05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
WHERES CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chris get over here and tell patrickt to defend his statement please :)

Why not Captain Obvious? Oh, right, it's obvious, isn't it? So, stuff it, Common.

Dr. Who
05-30-2013, 06:57 PM
There is now a gulf between the white working class and the upper classes that didn't exist when you were a kid. Sad There has always been a gulf between the white working class and the upper classes. Perhaps you just didn't notice.

Mister D
05-30-2013, 07:32 PM
There has always been a gulf between the white working class and the upper classes. Perhaps you just didn't notice.

I don't think so. Why do you?

Charles Murray makes a case for it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Apart-America-1960-2010-ebook/dp/B00540PAXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369960410&sr=8-1&keywords=Coming+Apart%3A+The+State+of+White+Americ a%2C+1960-2010

Dr. Who
05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't think so. Why do you?

Charles Murray makes a case for it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Apart-America-1960-2010-ebook/dp/B00540PAXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369960410&sr=8-1&keywords=Coming+Apart%3A+The+State+of+White+Americ a%2C+1960-2010
The upper classes went through a number of changes in America. Certain families became the original upper classes - i.e the Vanderbilts etc. They eventually became the old money classes. They had little if any contact with the working classes, except as servants. Over time, America being the land of opportunity for those with an entrepreneurial spirit, there were more and more nouveau riche. You might allow that they interacted with the working classes, probably because their families were still working class. They had money, but were not all that welcome in the circles of the upper classes. You now have a different generation. Many descendants of the nouveau riche. Well educated. Not old money, but not necessarily new money. Again they eschew the working class. It doesn't help that the economic gulf between rich and poor is increasing.

Mister D
05-30-2013, 08:32 PM
The upper classes went through a number of changes in America. Certain families became the original upper classes - i.e the Vanderbilts etc. They eventually became the old money classes. They had little if any contact with the working classes, except as servants. Over time, America being the land of opportunity for those with an entrepreneurial spirit, there were more and more nouveau riche. You might allow that they interacted with the working classes, probably because their families were still working class. They had money, but were not all that welcome in the circles of the upper classes. You now have a different generation. Many descendants of the nouveau riche. Well educated. Not old money, but not necessarily new money. Again they eschew the working class. It doesn't help that the economic gulf between rich and poor is increasing.

It's not a matter of contact so much as of a common sentiment/feeling. Or a common culture if you will. I just don't think the wealthy perceive themselves as part of the same society. That was't the case when my dad was a kid.

One thing I particularly appreciate about you Who is that you make a genuine effort to understand where someone is coming from or what a cited author is actually saying.

simpsonofpg
05-31-2013, 03:51 PM

No it is about making money and walmart will do what ever it can to do that including abusing workers. I am retired and working part time at a big box store and it isn't pretty what the guys at the top do without regard to the workers. I hate unions but perhaps WalMart need to look at the way they treat the employees.

darroll
05-31-2013, 06:31 PM
The owner of my company said" Don't give big pay raises, they will just buy dope with the money"
Great image of the American worker(s).

Mainecoons
05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Half the country uses dope at some point or another. Not so far fetched.

Common
05-31-2013, 08:59 PM
The owner of my company said" Don't give big pay raises, they will just buy dope with the money"
Great image of the American worker(s).

What he really meant was dont give big pay raises so I have more money to buy coke and boyfriends