PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party Movement Revival

Chris
06-02-2013, 10:09 AM
The Tea party Movement is reviving. The following op-ed understands what many liberals fail to understand about the movement, starting with the opening statement...

The "tea party" is back and is brewing trouble for the Republican establishment.

...But tea party and other conservative leaders, undaunted, drew the opposite conclusion.

"It was not conservatives" who lost those Senate races, 19 of them wrote in a joint attack against Rove's efforts. "Not one moderate challenger won." The solution, they argued, was to swing further right, not toward the center.

The tea party is as fired up as ever, even though the movement is smaller now than in its heyday of 2010....

But the grass-roots small-government movement has proved remarkably resilient....

The problem, of course, is that this majority faction inside the party holds views often at odds not only with a majority of all voters but with the rest of the GOP....

That polarization already spells trouble in the House, where tea party members recently balked at "reform conservative" proposals offered by their own majority leader, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.)....

"I don't trust the Republicans, and I don't trust the Democrats," Cruz said....

But tea party members aren't as worried about winning elections. According to another Rapoport survey, roughly three-fourths of tea party activists say they would prefer a strongly conservative candidate who's likely to lose over a relatively moderate candidate who's likely to win....

@ 'Tea party' tempest brewing (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-mcmanus-tea-party-20130602,0,423149.column)

Now that gives a more accurate view of where the Tea Party Movement stands in relation to the Republican Party despite many a liberal misrepresentation.

IMPress Polly
06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't know, it's kind of hard to tell which side is winning out in the GOP's current internal ideological battle. On the one hand, yes it could be argued that the recently-uncovered IRS scandal* has had the effect of reviving previously waning Tea Party enthusiasm and that recent nominations in Virginia are a tangible testament to that fact. However, on the other hand, this last week has seen Bob Dole (a key GOP standard-bearer for decades and the party's presidential candidate in 1996) endorse Karl Rove's more moderate faction by pointing out that neither he nor Nixon nor even Reagan could survive in today's ideologically puritanical Republican Party...and the day after that, Michele Bachmann, the founder of the House Tea Party Caucus, announced that she wouldn't be running for re-election next year. There are some indicators running in both directions at present.

*By the way, progressives should NOT defend the recently-revealed IRS political discrimination affair. Too many people are doing so, including here on this message board. Denying the existence of corruption here is dishonest and does a disservice to progressive causes. It helps the Tea Party movement ideologically. Progressives should stand above this kind of petty and offensive nepotism. There's nothing there to defend. This was stupid! Previous to this scandal's revelation, the Tea Party scene had been all but forgotten. Now they're getting all kinds of positive publicity. Nobody will respect us if we endorse, deny, or defend corruption, so stop doing so. Take the moral high road.

Chris
06-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't know, it's kind of hard to tell which side is winning out in the GOP's current internal ideological battle. On the one hand, yes it could be argued that the recently-uncovered IRS scandal* has had the effect of reviving previously waning Tea Party enthusiasm and that recent nominations in Virginia are a tangible testament to that fact. However, on the other hand, this last week has seen Bob Dole (a key GOP standard-bearer for decades and the party's presidential candidate in 1996) endorse Karl Rove's more moderate faction by pointing out that neither he nor Nixon nor even Reagan could survive in today's ideologically puritanical Republican Party...and the day after that, Michele Bachmann, the founder of the House Tea Party Caucus, announced that she wouldn't be running for re-election next year. There are some indicators running in both directions at present.

*By the way, progressives should NOT defend the recently-revealed IRS political discrimination affair. Too many people are doing so, including here on this message board. Denying the existence of corruption here is dishonest and does a disservice to progressive causes. It helps the Tea Party movement ideologically. Progressives should stand above this kind of petty and offensive nepotism. There's nothing there to defend. This was stupid! Previous to this scandal's revelation, the Tea Party scene had been all but forgotten. Now they're getting all kinds of positive publicity. Nobody will respect us if we endorse, deny, or defend corruption, so stop doing so. Take the moral high road.

Granted, it's hard to predict the future but at least, by the OP, the battle lines are drawn. Dole like Rove stand for the good ol' boy network of establishment Republicans aligned against the tea party movement.

Let us note for the sake of clarity, Bachmann and her defunct caucus were not part of the tea party movement but a hijacking of it.

Peter1469
06-02-2013, 12:15 PM

The Tea Party(ies) have been flying under the radar. They are still active. And Bob Dole is a mushy moderate who is closer to being a Dem than a Republican. I expect that the party will split. If the Tea Party(ies) side can stave off corporate influence, and keep social issues out of federal level politics, they may be able to pick up a lot of democrats who only vote dem because of social issues (anti religious right).

Mister D
06-02-2013, 12:20 PM

I have to admit I was stunned by the willingess of some members here to defend the IRS regardless of the tea parties.

Peter1469
06-02-2013, 12:30 PM
I have to admit I was stunned by the willingess of some members here to defend the IRS regardless of the tea parties.

I was not.

TheDictator
06-02-2013, 05:22 PM
But tea party members aren't as worried about winning elections. According to another Rapoport survey, roughly three-fourths of tea party activists say they would prefer a strongly conservative candidate who's likely to lose over a relatively moderate candidate who's likely to win....

I'm not part of the Tea Party, but I agree with this statement.

Mister D
06-02-2013, 05:26 PM
I was not.

It seemed tentative at first but they took the plunge.

Mainecoons
06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
What is the point of running "moderates" (liberals who won't admit they are liberals) so you can "win?"

Better to establish a clear position against progressivism and be around to pick up the pieces after the inevitable crash.

Chris
06-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Give the people a choice.

Cigar
06-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Who is defending the IRS?

I don't anyone who is ...

... wrong has always been wrong, only now it's somehow Scandalously WRONG. :grin:

When David Plouffe confronted Karl Rove with evidence that his Bush administration used the IRS to investigate the NAACP, Rove melted down and stammered baloney. http://www.politicususa.com/karl-rove-turns-sta-confrhonted-bush-irs-investigations.html (http://www.politicususa.com/karl-rove-turns-sta-confronted-bush-irs-investigations.html)

Mister D
06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Who is defending the IRS?

I don't anyone who is ...

... wrong as always been wrong, only now it's somehow Scandalously WRONG. :grin:

When David Plouffe confronted Karl Rove with evidence that his Bush administration used the IRS to investigate the NAACP, Rove melted down and stammered baloney. http://www.politicususa.com/karl-rove-turns-sta-confronted-bush-irs-investigations.html

You are once again actually. :laugh: When you deflect and commit the tu toque fallacy you are in fact defending the IRS. Granted, your mindless partisanship probably blinds you to the obvious.

Chris
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Cigar, if Latin's not your forte, this is the logical fallacy you're engaging in...

http://i.snag.gy/YE0CA.jpg

Cigar
06-03-2013, 11:18 AM
How much time will you boys need to find and locate a thread or post where I indicate that the IRS is our friend? :laugh:

Check with Darrell Issa, he knows how to make shit up. :roflmao:

Mister D
06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
How much time will you boys need to find and locate a thread or post where I indicate that the IRS is our friend? :laugh:

Check with Darrell Issa, he knows how to make shit up. :roflmao:

Here you are defending the IRS.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/13457-Tea-Party-Movement-Revival?p=300380&viewfull=1#post300380

Cigar
06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
:rollseyes: I didn't think so ...

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/d/de/Moran.jpg

Mister D
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
No, you just didn't think but we are not surprised. :smiley: