PDA

View Full Version : Liberals are about to ban all beverages in NYC.

TheDictator
06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/05/new-nyc-ads-warn-about-sweet-tea-energy-drinks/

Big Government at it best.

jillian
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/05/new-nyc-ads-warn-about-sweet-tea-energy-drinks/

Bloomberg isn't a liberal.

An ad campaign letting people know that certain energy drinks are filled with sugar is t a ban

Your thread is dishonest.

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Bloomberg isn't a liberal?

:rofl:

Next, you'll tell us that Karl Marx wasn't a communist.

:rofl: :rofl:

roadmaster
06-05-2013, 11:25 AM

If he isn't don't know what he is.

junie
06-05-2013, 11:28 AM

how many silly emoticons does it take, pussy cat...?

think about what the world LIBERAL actually means, and explain to us what is LIBERAL about this policy?

Peter1469
06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
how many silly emoticons does it take, pussy cat...?

think about what the world LIBERAL actually means, and explain to us what is LIBERAL about this policy?

I think what he is looking at is how liberals actually govern in the United States. Got a problem? American liberal politicians have a government program for it.

roadmaster
06-05-2013, 11:35 AM
LIBERAL You don't need to ban something only alert the people that you can't drink these all day. I can't drink them at all. Let them know of the problems just like aspirin or anything else. Too much of something is bad for you.

bladimz
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Well, mostly, he's a fiscal conservative with a liberal bent on social issues.

jillian
06-05-2013, 11:44 AM
You don't need to ban something only alert the people that you can't drink these all day. I can't drink them at all. Let them know of the problems just like aspirin or anything else. Too much of something is bad for you.

Exactly.

And isn't it better to know that before one's body turns on them?

No one is banning anything.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Can anyone read a friggin nutrition label?

junie
06-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I think what he is looking at is how liberals actually govern in the United States.

Got a problem? American liberal politicians have a government program for it.

what i'm looking at is this particular policy and this particular claim that this particular politician, who is not a democrat, is somehow "liberal" on account of this type of prohibitive policy which has nothing actually "liberal" about it... so it's an easy jab but makes no sense in this case...

Mister D
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
what i'm looking at is this particular policy and this particular claim that this particular politician, who is not a democrat, is somehow "liberal" on account of this type of prohibitive policy which has nothing actually "liberal" about it... so it's an easy jab but makes no sense in this case...

Which is to say that there is nothing particularly liberal about liberals. You and Maine agree. :smiley:

Chris
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Why a moderate of course. There are no liberals.

Chris
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
I think what he is looking at is how liberals actually govern in the United States. Got a problem? American liberal politicians have a government program for it.

Rather, liberalism--modern liberalism, progressivism--is a solution looking for a problem.

jillian
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Why a moderate of course. There are no liberals.

There are. Bloomberg isn't one.

But to certain people, anything they don't like is "liberal".

Im still not seeing what the problem is with ads to inform people.

Or should ads only tell people to hate the IRS?

Ravi
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
What a dishonest thread title. For shame.

junie
Which is to say that there is nothing particularly liberal about liberals. You and Maine agree. :smiley:

iirc bloomberg ran for governor as a republican, then he switched to independent. regardless, he is a mayor, not a congressman, and this is not a LIBERAL policy, which is my point..

nic34
just another liberal bashing thread..... how many does this make?

Chris
06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
There are. Bloomberg isn't one.

But to certain people, anything they don't like is "liberal".

Im still not seeing what the problem is with ads to inform people.

Or should ads only tell people to hate the IRS?

You mean like to some anything they dislike is conservative?

It's paternalistic.

When you say hate, what do you mean?

Mister D
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
iirc bloomberg ran for governor as a republican, then he switched to independent. regardless, he is a mayor, not a congressman, and this is not a LIBERAL policy, which is my point..

The GOP has plenty of liberals. Whether he is a Republican, Democrat, or independent is immaterial. That you have right leaning members mocking Bllomberg suggests to me that they do not care what party he belongs to. It's an awfully liberatign experience. Try it some time.

Chris
06-05-2013, 11:56 AM
just another liberal bashing thread..... how many does this make?

But he's not a liberal, damn it!

Mainecoons
It is not a liberal policy in the traditional sense of liberalism, which used to be much like libertarianism. Modern liberalism is all about controlling people because you know better than them what to do with their money, diets, etc.

This guy is a flaming statist, control freak and modern day liberal. And he's jacked up municipal budgets and services have declined in NY, another liberal trait.

Now I understand it. You can't be accused of being a liberal if you make up your own definition. You might even call yourself a conservative.

nic34
does dictator believe in his biblical teachings or did he just flunk Matthew 7:1?

http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm

Mister D
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
does dictator believe in his biblical teachings or did he just flunk Matthew 7:1?

nic, do you even make an attempt to understand what you're reading? :laugh:

Ravi
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Why are all the Republicans rallying around this lie of a thread? I think the next presidential election is going to be even more fun than the last one. :)

Chris
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Why are all the Republicans rallying around this lie of a thread? I think the next presidential election is going to be even more fun than the last one. :)

Who are the Republicans here?

Mister D
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM

The better question for you all to ponder is why these "Republicans" are mocking a Republican.

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Did you get lost again, Nic? :rofl:

It would have been more correct, Marie, to write "Bloomberg" rather than "liberals" but I think you don't need to obsess further on the point. We got it.

:grin:

nic34
06-05-2013, 11:59 AM
nic, do you even make an attempt to understand what you're reading? :laugh:

Oh I can't wait for MRDEEBOZO'S biblical interpretations.....:rollseyes:

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I hope not. We're all trying to figure out why you posted that out of the blue. A little early to be smoking dope on the job, isn't it?

nic34
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Why does dictator continually post lies about "liberals"?

Is he making judgements or not?

This isn't that hard guys....

Chris
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
nic, you get religion sudden like?

Chris
06-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Modern liberalism is all about big government, that's what this is about.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh I can't wait for MRDEEBOZO'S biblical interpretations.....:rollseyes:

Sigh...

nic, it means not to judge in terms of salvation. Do you really think it means not to call a murderer a murderer or a thief a thief for example? Please stop talking about the bible. You make a fool of yourself.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 12:04 PM

You don't understand what you're reading, nic. :laugh:

Mister D
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I hope not. We're all trying to figure out why you posted that out of the blue. A little early to be smoking dope on the job, isn't it?

Must be. I don't know how else he could find MRDEEBOZO funny. :grin:

nic34
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Sigh...

nic, it means not to judge in terms of salvation. Do you really think it means not to call a murderer a murderer or a thief a thief for example? Please stop talking about the bible. You make a fool of yourself.

That's what I thought, BOZO'S interpretation.... here's some help:

http://www.openbible.info/topics/judging_others

I'll stop the biblical refs when dictator quits the lib hate....

TheDictator
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
This is how Liberals work, tell people it is bad, then say we have to ban it for your own good. This is just the first step.

Ravi
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Did you get lost again, Nic? :rofl: It would have been more correct, Marie, to write "Bloomberg" rather than "liberals" but I think you don't need to obsess further on the point. We got it. :grin: why are you attacking people after reporting others attacking others....jeesh. Regardless of Bloomberg's political affiliation, the title of this thread is an outright lie in more ways than one.

bladimz
06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
You don't need to ban something only alert the people that you can't drink these all day. I can't drink them at all. Let them know of the problems just like aspirin or anything else. Too much of something is bad for you.I think that is what the ad campaign was saying: they were only notifying the public of the large sugar content in these energy drinks, and that drinking them is no more healthy than drinking a soda.

On one hand, i believe that the mayor is over-stepping in his push against the over-consumption of sodas, lemonades, etc. I do however feel that all consumers should be aware of the health risks associated in everything they shove down their throats, they should self-ban based on the information. But we know that most won't, and the USA's proud international image of an obese nation will continue. The health issues and associated medical costs will continue unabated. So... the american is free to whatever and however much he wants. When his eating and drinking habits could finally result in medical complications that leave him disabled, he will then apply for and collect SS disability. (Should government address the obesity epidemic in the hopes that it can stem the tide, through education? Is this really such a bad idea?)

Now if many conservatives had their way, that person would not be eligible for any federal funds. He would then have no means of support, mostly likely winding up on the street, or simply dying from health complications.

...I'm conflicted.

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. You might want to notice that you aren't getting much agreement even though you repeat it over and over and over and. . . .

bladimz
06-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh, it's never too early, Maine.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 12:17 PM
That's what I thought, BOZO'S interpretation.... here's some help:

http://www.openbible.info/topics/judging_others

I'll stop the biblical refs when dictator quits the lib hate....

nic, you're just repeating yourself. Not sure what your link is supposed to prove. Here is some exegesis for you.

Judge not, that ye be not judged. This is not to be understood of any sort of judgment; not of judgment in the civil courts of judicature, by proper magistrates, which ought to be made and pass, according to the nature of the case; nor of judgment in the churches of Christ, where offenders are to be called to an account, examined, tried, and dealt with according to the rules of the Gospel; nor of every private judgment, which one man may make upon another, without any detriment to him; but of rash judgment, interpreting men's words and deeds to the worst sense, and censuring them in a very severe manner; even passing sentence on them, with respect to their eternal state and condition. Good is the advice given by the famous Hillell (u), who lived a little before Christ's time;

You don't have to stop with the biblical references. I'm just telling you look stupid refering to things you simply do not understand.

bladimz
06-05-2013, 12:18 PM
why are you attacking people after reporting others attacking others....jeesh. Regardless of Bloomberg's political affiliation, the title of this thread is an outright lie in more ways than one.Oh, that's just Maine being Maine.

The OP is some kind of attempt to misrepresent the story presented in the link.

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Whatsamatter, Blad, still smarting from being called out and having to run away again? :rofl:

bladimz
06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. You might want to notice that you aren't getting much agreement even though you repeat it over and over and over and. . . .

:grin:I don't know for sure if you're addressing me or not. But if you are, you're not making much sense.

Mainecoons
Oh, it's never too early, Maine.

OK, that explains a lot about some of your posting, Blad. Thanks. Enjoy your smokes.

Mister D
Oh, that's just Maine being Maine.

The OP is some kind of attempt to misrepresent the story presented in the link.

Why do you think so? Didn't they already ban sodas? It's hardly far-fetched. NYC is a nanny state. Granted, it's full of poor people who live on garbage food and now with Obamacare it's a little more understandable.

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't know for sure if you're addressing me or not. But if you are, you're not making much sense.

Nope. Marie who just can't seem to stop whining about how inaccurate the thread title is even after I agreed with her.

Ravi
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Oh, that's just Maine being Maine. The OP is some kind of attempt to misrepresent the story presented in the link. I've noticed that he likes to lie and squeal. Oh, well. So much for political discourse.

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
:rofl: My aren't we the angry one this morning. LOL

Liberal definition of "Lie": Anything that is said or written that I don't agree with.:grin:

roadmaster
06-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Why are all the Republicans rallying around this lie of a thread? I think the next presidential election is going to be even more fun than the last one. :) I am an independent.

bladimz
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Whatsamatter, Blad, still smarting from being called out and having to run away again? :rofl:
Yep. That's it exactly.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/052010/1274435598_busted-men-in-crutches-crossing-the-street.gif

bladimz
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I've noticed that he likes to lie and squeal. Oh, well. So much for political discourse.When some people wake up angry, they find shouting, squealing and abusive attacks help. So they head straight for the boards.

TheDictator
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Your taking it out of context, my friend.

TheDictator
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Judgements YES, Lies no.

Ransom
06-05-2013, 01:22 PM
I assumed considering their liberal cluelessness and honorable Mayoral candidates, all beverages save for the kool-aid for the masses had been banned in NYC already.

bladimz
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Why do you think so? Didn't they already ban sodas? It's hardly far-fetched. I think so, because the poster named the thread:
Liberals are about to ban all beverages in NYC.The attached link says absolutely nothing about banning any beverage. So that's why.

NY is a nanny state. Granted, it's full of poor people who live on garbage food and now with Obamacare it's a little more understandable.Get real, D. What state isn't full of poor people? Or do you think that 39 million people all live in one state. The cheap garbage food is there for them because those suppliers of garbage food know what marketing is all about.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I think so, because the poster named the thread:
Liberals are about to ban all beverages in NYC.

The attached link says absolutely nothing about banning any beverage. So that's why.

Get real, D. What state isn't full of poor people? Or do you think that 39 million people all live in one state. The cheap garbage food is there for them because those suppliers of garbage food know what marketing is all about.

The title is obviously the poster's impression of the ultimate intent. Do try and be generous once in a while. Good grief...you are liberal, right?

Good grief...yes, Blad, I recognize that the poor, stupid, and uneducated abound. What I said could apply to all 50 states but we're talking about NYC. Anyway, yeah, it's not the choices people make. It's the evil companies that trick them with ads. Thank you for helping prove Dictator's point.

nic34
06-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Mississippi poor folks are well fed....

Mister D
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Mississippi poor folks are well fed....

What? Are you drunk again?

Peter1469
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I think so, because the poster named the thread:
Liberals are about to ban all beverages in NYC.

The attached link says absolutely nothing about banning any beverage. So that's why.

Get real, D. What state isn't full of poor people? Or do you think that 39 million people all live in one state. The cheap garbage food is there for them because those suppliers of garbage food know what marketing is all about.

In many poor neighborhoods there are little if any options for healthy food.

jillian
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
In many poor neighborhoods there are little if any options for healthy food.

yes. that's true.

it's also cheaper to give kids starchy, fatty, sugary calories than to give them healthy calories.

but i still don't see anything wrong with informative ads. do you?

Peter1469
06-05-2013, 02:41 PM
yes. that's true.

it's also cheaper to give kids starchy, fatty, sugary calories than to give them healthy calories.

but i still don't see anything wrong with informative ads. do you?

I don't think it is cheaper to give kids junk / bad food than healthy food (especially when you consider later health care costs). You could cook a couple cups of rice, add beans, and some meat and feed a family of four for cheaper than 4 meals from McDonalds- much cheaper likely.

I am not against informative ads, but if you are living in a poor neighborhood with no health options available the ads aren't going to do you much good.

jillian
06-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't think it is cheaper to give kids junk / bad food than healthy food (especially when you consider later health care costs). You could cook a couple cups of rice, add beans, and some meat and feed a family of four for cheaper than 4 meals from McDonalds- much cheaper likely.

I am not against informative ads, but if you are living in a poor neighborhood with no health options available the ads aren't going to do you much good.

why? do they need to drink sweet tea and not water because they live in a poor neighborhood?

you're right... but rice and beans is starchy and all carbs. if that's all you eat, you're going to be fat.

and if your choice at the corner store is a $3 slimy head of lettuce (which offers no calories to your kids) and fattening mac and cheese, you're going to go for the mac and cheese.

Ravi
06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't think it is cheaper to give kids junk / bad food than healthy food (especially when you consider later health care costs). You could cook a couple cups of rice, add beans, and some meat and feed a family of four for cheaper than 4 meals from McDonalds- much cheaper likely. I am not against informative ads, but if you are living in a poor neighborhood with no health options available the ads aren't going to do you much good. Too bad we subsidize carbs and not fruits and veggies. It is a viscous cycle being poor. Educating people that these drinks are bad for them isn't a bad idea.

Chris
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Who should make those choices for us?

jillian
06-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Who should make those choices for us?

giving information is not "making choices"

Chris
06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
giving information is not "making choices"

Who should choose what information to give us?

Mister D
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
why? do they need to drink sweet tea and not water because they live in a poor neighborhood?

you're right... but rice and beans is starchy and all carbs. if that's all you eat, you're going to be fat.

and if your choice at the corner store is a $3 slimy head of lettuce (which offers no calories to your kids) and fattening mac and cheese, you're going to go for the mac and cheese.

Beans are an incredibly healthful staple packed with vitamins, starch, protein, and fiber. Now if junior is stuffed full of said starch and rolls over to play some more video games (yes, Virginia, the poor play video games and chat on their cell phones while relaxing in their air conditioned rooms) then he will get fat. That's true of anyone. This is a matter of lifestyle as much as education. You can educate people but they have to want to change. How many folks do you know who are simply set in their ways in terms of diet? I know plenty.

jillian
06-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Beans are an incredibly healthful staple packed with vitamins, starch, protein, and fiber. Now if junior is stuffed full of said starch and rolls over to play some more video games (yes, Virginia, the poor play video games and chat on their cell phones while relaxing in their air conditioned rooms) then he will get fat. That's true of anyone. This is a matter of lifestyle as much as education. You can educate people but they have to want to change. How many folks do you know who are simply set in their ways in terms of diet? I know plenty.

but white rice is empty calories.

it is both lifestyle AND education. but if someone doesn't know better, they're going to go for the garbage, b/c let's face it, things that are greasy, salty and sugary taste pretty good to kids...

and, again, it's a lot cheaper to feed a family with mac and cheese or hamburger helper (full of sodium and fat and carbs) than it is to grill salmon and vegetables and put some brown rice with it.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 03:21 PM
but white rice is empty calories.

it is both lifestyle AND education. but if someone doesn't know better, they're going to go for the garbage, b/c let's face it, things that are greasy, salty and sugary taste pretty good to kids...

and, again, it's a lot cheaper to feed a family with mac and cheese or hamburger helper (full of sodium and fat and carbs) than it is to grill salmon and vegetables and put some brown rice with it.

Calories are important. They keep you alive. There is nothing wrong with white rice. I eat a lot of white flour but I'm also very active. Beans and white flour are, IMHO, the best fuel around. It all depends on one's activity level. A lot of parents from all classes need to get thir kids off their keysters and out playing ball.

I think a lot of people (again, from all classes) are going to go for what they are used to. That's just how some folks are. It will take a stern warning from the doctor (something like, "dude you're gonna die if you keep this up")

Of course it is but Peter's suggestion is actually cheaper than mac and cheese etc. and far healthier. It's also a lot more filling than salmon and vegis.

jillian
06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Calories are important. They keep you alive. There is nothing wrong with white rice. I eat a lot of white flour but I'm also very active. Beans and white flour are, IMHO, the best fuel around. It all depends on one's activity level. A lot of parents from all classes need to get thir kids off their keysters and out playing ball.

I think a lot of people (again, from all classes) are going to go for what they are used to. That's just how some folks are. It will take a stern warning from the doctor (something like, "dude you're gonna die if you keep this up")

Of course it is but Peter's suggestion is actually cheaper than mac and cheese etc. and far healthier. It's also a lot more filling than salmon and vegis.

i agree re calories and people being creatures of habit. which is why poor people are more likely to calorie load than eat healthy. and no doubt that lifestyle matters. i agree. but given a choice, whole grains are better than white flours. white flours offer no nutritional value beyond calories.

and yes, rice and beans (add some anduille sausage and white chicken and a lot of spice and you have one of my favorite cajun meals) is more filling than salmon and veggies. but salmon and veggies is way healthier because we also have to bring rates of type 2 diabetes and obesity into the discussion.

don't get me wrong. i love rice. it used to be my staple food. but i decided i'd like to live a long and healthy life. so carbs are for treat only.... along with the odd glass of wine.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
i agree re calories and people being creatures of habit. which is why poor people are more likely to calorie load than eat healthy. and no doubt that lifestyle matters. i agree. but given a choice, whole grains are better than white flours. white flours offer no nutritional value beyond calories.

and yes, rice and beans (add some anduille sausage and white chicken and a lot of spice and you have one of my favorite cajun meals) is more filling than salmon and veggies. but salmon and veggies is way healthier because we also have to bring rates of type 2 diabetes and obesity into the discussion.

don't get me wrong. i love rice. it used to be my staple food. but i decided i'd like to live a long and healthy life. so carbs are for treat only.... along with the odd glass of wine.

I agree and for a less active lifestyle they are preferred. For me, it's much more useful energy. The fact that it is processed quickly and enters my bloodstream is an advantage. I never run the same way on whole grains. Your body has a much tougher time converting them. Good for the couch and the desk. Not so much for the road.

You can do a lot with beans and leave the rice out if there is any concern about diabetes. I just made a 16 bean soup for lunch all week. It cost me around $10 but only because I insist on using chicken stock. Had I not, it would have cost less than $5. That's a deal. You could add all kinds of cheap flavorings like ham hocks, fatback, sausage etc. There is so much to choose from including barley, lentils, and field peas. I guess you go Kosher though...pork flavorings might be out. :undecided:

Do you like brown rice? I don't cook rice often because it's a pain in the ass but I do like brown rice. Wild rice is supposed to be good for you too.

Peter1469
06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
I usually cook brown rice. I should eat more beans.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 04:54 PM
You don't need to ban something only alert the people that you can't drink these all day. I can't drink them at all. Let them know of the problems just like aspirin or anything else. Too much of something is bad for you.Perhaps really large warning labels on the product should be mandatory, given the potential for fatal reactions to all of that caffeine.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Can anyone read a friggin nutrition label?Most people can't equate the caffeine content with anything - it's just a number.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Rather, liberalism--modern liberalism, progressivism--is a solution looking for a problem.What's so bad about educating people so that they can make an informed decision? Do you prefer blind ignorant purchases that can have potentially fatal consequences? Should we forget about advising all of the possible side effects of pharmaceuticals? Why concern ourselves with safety of any products at all? Are a certain percentage of deaths an appropriate price to pay to ensure maximum profits for manufacturers?

Mainecoons
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Nothing at all. Educating is one thing, forcing is another. Americans are the fattest people in the world. Clearly, some educating isn't a bad thing.

Statists, either liberal or neocon are never satisfied with that, however. They have to force people to do things.

Chris
06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
What's so bad about educating people so that they can make an informed decision? Do you prefer blind ignorant purchases that can have potentially fatal consequences? Should we forget about advising all of the possible side effects of pharmaceuticals? Why concern ourselves with safety of any products at all? Are a certain percentage of deaths an appropriate price to pay to ensure maximum profits for manufacturers?

And you trust politicians to decide what to inform you about? What makes the mayor's office experts? I, and you, can get better info off the internet. And guess what, our tax dollars don't pay for it.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
And you trust politicians to decide what to inform you about? What makes the mayor's office experts? I, and you, can get better info off the internet. And guess what, our tax dollars don't pay for it.
Neither of us are the likely consumers of these products. We have reached an age where we are mindful of what we consume. The primary consumers of these drinks are kids.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Who should choose what information to give us?Actually the choice belongs to those who listen or read the ads, to pay attention or ignore them. Freedom of speech, right? People are bombarded with information daily. Who should choose what news we get to read, listen to or watch? The recipient makes the choice to receive or not. There is no such thing as too much information.

Chris
06-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Actually the choice belongs to those who listen or read the ads, to pay attention or ignore them. Freedom of speech, right? People are bombarded with information daily. Who should choose what news we get to read, listen to or watch? The recipient makes the choice to receive or not. There is no such thing as too much information.

We already have those choices, free. What we lose is the freedom to use those tax dollars as we see better fit.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 06:49 PM

You are correct about activity levels of children. Some places have no decent places where kids can play which is compounded by the fact that parents are now too paranoid to let their kids outside without supervision. So kids stay home and exercise their thumbs. Childhood obesity is becoming critical. Kids with the cholesterol levels of a 40 year old. It's just deplorable. If you think health care has issues now, just wait until all of these prematurely old children actually hit their 40's.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Most people can't equate the caffeine content with anything - it's just a number.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's campaign to cut consumption of sugary drinks has expanded to warning residents that some sweet teas, sports and energy drinks and fruit-flavored beverages have more sugar than soda.

The city Health Department on Monday launched a $1.4 million TV and bus ad campaign, MyFoxNY.com reported. The spots say such drinks might sound healthy but are packed with added sugar that can lead to obesity and other health problems.

"Sports drinks, energy drinks and fruit-flavored drinks sometimes sound like they're good for us, but they are contributing to the obesity epidemic just as much as sugary soft-drinks," Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said in a statement.

Again, can anyone read a nutrition label?

Chris
06-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Neither of us are the likely consumers of these products. We have reached an age where we are mindful of what we consume. The primary consumers of these drinks are kids.

You're conflating information, a good, with government, an evil.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
You are correct about activity levels of children. Some places have no decent places where kids can play which is compounded by the fact that parents are now too paranoid to let their kids outside without supervision. So kids stay home and exercise their thumbs. Childhood obesity is becoming critical. Kids with the cholesterol levels of a 40 year old. It's just deplorable. If you think health care has issues now, just wait until all of these prematurely old children actually hit their 40's.

I hardly think it's a lack of places to play or hag out. We are raising a generation that lives in their bedrooms. One obvious drawback of technology.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
I agree and for a less active lifestyle they are preferred. For me, it's much more useful energy. The fact that it is processed quickly and enters my bloodstream is an advantage. I never run the same way on whole grains. Your body has a much tougher time converting them. Good for the couch and the desk. Not so much for the road.

You can do a lot with beans and leave the rice out if there is any concern about diabetes. I just made a 16 bean soup for lunch all week. It cost me around $10 but only because I insist on using chicken stock. Had I not, it would have cost less than $5. That's a deal. You could add all kinds of cheap flavorings like ham hocks, fatback, sausage etc. There is so much to choose from including barley, lentils, and field peas. I guess you go Kosher though...pork flavorings might be out. :undecided:

Do you like brown rice? I don't cook rice often because it's a pain in the ass but I do like brown rice. Wild rice is supposed to be good for you too.
FYI, basmati is the easiest white rice to cook - just over 1.5 cups of water to one of rice. Bring to the boil. Turn really low for 5 minutes. Turn off and leave for 5 minutes. Perfect every time.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 06:55 PM
FYI, basmati is the easiest white rice to cook - just over 1.5 cups of water to one of rice. Bring to the boil. Turn really low for 5 minutes. Turn off and leave for 5 minutes. Perfect every time.

I need to get better at it. I was raised on wheat. :smiley:

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I need to get better at it. I was raised on wheat. :smiley:We had rice or potatoes or buckwheat (Kasha) - a Polish thing. Kasha is actually pretty good served with stew and very nutritious.

jillian
06-05-2013, 07:31 PM
We had rice or potatoes or buckwheat (Kasha) - a Polish thing. Kasha is actually pretty good served with stew and very nutritious.

have you had kasha varnishkas?

jillian
06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
We already have those choices, free. What we lose is the freedom to use those tax dollars as we see better fit.

"we" live in a representative republic.

if you don't like the ads, don't re-elect the person.

i didn't get to vote on whether george bush spent a million dollars to find out if prayer works... or to use trillions to pay for an unnecessary war.

this is kind of peanuts in comparison.

Chris
06-05-2013, 07:38 PM
"we" live in a representative republic.

if you don't like the ads, don't re-elect the person.

i didn't get to vote on whether george bush spent a million dollars to find out if prayer works... or to use trillions to pay for an unnecessary war.

this is kind of peanuts in comparison.

Try a constitutionally limited republic. Then try and show where government is granted this power.

Presidents and elections are stated in the Constitution.

Chris
06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/sweet-tea

And the government is spending $1.4 million to tell us what we already know.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
have you had kasha varnishkas?No, the only way we ate it was in the same way as you would rice. Have you had raw potato pancakes? (another Polish dish).

jillian
06-05-2013, 08:39 PM
No, the only way we ate it was in the same way as you would rice. Have you had raw potato pancakes? (another Polish dish).

kasha varnishkas:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Philip-Lopates-Kasha-Varnishkes

no. never had raw potato pancakes.

i've had them cooked, though. :)

Peter1469
06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
No, the only way we ate it was in the same way as you would rice. Have you had raw potato pancakes? (another Polish dish).

Potato pancakes are also a German dish. My grandmother used to make them.

Chloe
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Mmmm latkes with apple sauce are awesome. I can really put those things away.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 08:50 PM
kasha varnishkas:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Philip-Lopates-Kasha-Varnishkes

no. never had raw potato pancakes.

i've had them cooked, though. :)LOL we didn't eat them raw, but you grate raw potatoes, mix with egg and flour and make them into a pancake and then fry them. They can either be sweet or savory.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Potato pancakes are also a German dish. My grandmother used to make them.I think they are common throughout central Europe.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Mmmm latkes with apple sauce are awesome. I can really put those things away.I always thought latkes were served as savory dishes. I didn't know they were also served as a sweet dish.

jillian
06-05-2013, 08:54 PM
LOL we didn't eat them raw, but you grate raw potatoes, mix with egg and flour and make them into a pancake and then fry them. They can either be sweet or savory.

oh... yes... but we put onion, in. served with either apple sauce or sour cream.

Chloe
06-05-2013, 08:55 PM
I always thought latkes were served as savory dishes. I didn't know they were also served as a sweet dish.

I don't like them with sour cream like some people do. I like the sweet and salty.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 08:58 PM
oh... yes... but we put onion, in. served with either apple sauce or sour cream.Yes, as Chloe noted, latkes. I think the only difference I can see when I go on the recipe websites is that the ones I am used to don't have onion and the grate on the potato is a bit finer, so that the edges of the pancake are more uniform. Otherwise the same thing.

roadmaster
06-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't like them with sour cream like some people do. I like the sweet and salty.

Have to say this, watch the salt.:wink:

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Have to say this, watch the salt.:wink:Sometimes it depends on the individual. Most people will develop BP issues if they consume too much. I think I can tolerate more than most, as my BP is usually on the low side - max just normal.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Sometimes it depends on the individual. Most people will develop BP issues if they consume too much. I think I can tolerate more than most, as my BP is usually on the low side - max just normal.

Isn't it the other way around? That is, most people won't? Something like a third will?

Mister D
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
I had a creepy experience after a long run that I'm pretty sure was caused by a loss of sodium. People do generally ingest too much salt but the anti-sodium craze is just as misguided as the anti-fat craze, IMO.

jillian
06-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I had a creepy experience after a long run that I'm pretty sure was caused by a loss of sodium. People do generally ingest too much salt but the anti-sodium craze is just as misguided as the anti-fat craze, IMO.

that was potassium your body needed.

when you engage in physical activity, your body has different requirements than the body of someone who sits on their butt eating bon bons.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 09:24 PM
that was potassium your body needed.

when you engage in physical activity, your body has different requirements than the body of someone who sits on their butt eating bon bons.

You think so? It was definitely something lost in sweat so yeah it might have been potassium.

bon bons lol

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Isn't it the other way around? That is, most people won't? Something like a third will?Maybe you're right, but based on how doctors go on about it, I had assumed that most people over a certain age seem to have BP issues. According to the Journal of American Medical Association studies and statistics suggest that 90 percent of Americans will develop high blood pressure in their lives. http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/13517-Liberals-are-about-to-ban-all-beverages-in-NYC/page11 Some other sources disagree.

Mister D
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Maybe you're right, but based on how doctors go on about it, I had assumed that most people over a certain age seem to have BP issues. According to the Journal of American Medical Association studies and statistics suggest that 90 percent of Americans will develop high blood pressure in their lives. http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/13517-Liberals-are-about-to-ban-all-beverages-in-NYC/page11 Some other sources disagree.

best to play it safe, I guess. The only high sodium item I indulge in is hot sauce.

jillian
06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
You think so? It was definitely something lost in sweat so yeah it might have been potassium.

bon bons lol

heh... married with children.

jillian
06-05-2013, 09:30 PM
best to play it safe, I guess. The only high sodium item I indulge in is hot sauce.

i don't add salt to most things. i use other spices. foods generally have enough naturally occurring salt for normal activity. if you know that you're going running, by all means have a sports drink or something after.

countryboy
06-05-2013, 09:40 PM
You don't need to ban something only alert the people that you can't drink these all day. I can't drink them at all. Let them know of the problems just like aspirin or anything else. Too much of something is bad for you.
Do you really think morons who don't know sugary drinks are bad for you are going to be swayed by an "ad campaign"?

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I had a creepy experience after a long run that I'm pretty sure was caused by a loss of sodium. People do generally ingest too much salt but the anti-sodium craze is just as misguided as the anti-fat craze, IMO.LoL that's why they invented Gatorade for athletes. It contains 250 mg sodium, 63 mg potassium and 220 mg chloride per 591 ml to replenish the minerals lost through sweat during exercise and competition.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 09:56 PM
i don't add salt to most things. i use other spices. foods generally have enough naturally occurring salt for normal activity. if you know that you're going running, by all means have a sports drink or something after.I think if you're not a big consumer of fast foods, don't eat out in restaurants frequently and don't buy a lot of prepackaged meals, you are probably not overdoing the salt.

Ravi
06-06-2013, 07:45 AM
I just watched one of the ads showing a guy eating 16 packets of sugar. The ad made the point that while no one would ever sit down and eat 16 packets of sugar, many people do just that when they drink a soda. I had no idea that soda had that much sugar in it and I bet a lot of other people didn't know either.

If the NYC health department exists for the purpose of ensuring the public health, which it does, then I fail to understand the whining and gnashing of teeth over these ads.

But it does reinforce my belief that libertarians are so crazed that they will never become mainstream. Thankfully.

Mister D
06-06-2013, 07:55 AM
LoL that's why they invented Gatorade for athletes. It contains 250 mg sodium, 63 mg potassium and 220 mg chloride per 591 ml to replenish the minerals lost through sweat during exercise and competition.

I suck down a quart of G2 after a warm weather run. That one day was particularly humid and I knew something was odd when after only a couple of miles I was sweating profusely. I brushed my hair back with my hand and it felt as if I was in the shower. When I was done I had heart palpitations which caused anxiety and only made it worse.

Mister D
06-06-2013, 07:56 AM
I think if you're not a big consumer of fast foods, don't eat out in restaurants frequently and don't buy a lot of prepackaged meals, you are probably not overdoing the salt.

I salt tomatoes and potatoes but otherwise I usually don't add salt to my food.

jillian
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I think if you're not a big consumer of fast foods, don't eat out in restaurants frequently and don't buy a lot of prepackaged meals, you are probably not overdoing the salt.

Probably so

Peter1469
06-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I suck down a quart of G2 after a warm weather run. That one day was particularly humid and I knew something was odd when after only a couple of miles I was sweating profusely. I brushed my hair back with my hand and it felt as if I was in the shower. When I was done I had heart palpitations which caused anxiety and only made it worse.

Sugar can feed anxiety.

Mister D
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Sugar can fed anxiety.

G-2 is low calorie. I think there are maybe 100 calories in a quart.

Peter1469
06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I salt tomatoes and potatoes but otherwise I usually don't add salt to my food.

I do, but I use sea salt. The less refined the better.

Mister D
06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I do, but I use sea salt. The less refined the better.

I've been using sea salt lately.

GrassrootsConservative
06-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Sea salt has the best flavor for everything except popcorn. With my popcorn I always must have tasty lip-numbing popcorn salt and a mountain of gooey melty butter.

Peter1469
06-06-2013, 03:22 PM
G-2 is low calorie. I think there are maybe 100 calories in a quart.

It has 7 grams of sugar, not as much as soda, but still a lot of sugar. I try to stay below 15 grams a day.

Mister D
06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
It has 7 grams of sugar, not as much as soda, but still a lot of sugar. I try to stay below 15 grams a day.

Wow a 16 ounce Coke has 65!

I eat a lot more relatively speaking. I like candy. :wink:

Common
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Bloomberg is a phony hes whatever he needs to be to get something for himself. That said, this banning of things because some people cant control themselves is silly. Notifying and educating people that something is bad for them is a good thing it doesnt cost to tell people DONT DRINK THAT DIPCHIT its bad for you.

Dr. Who
06-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I suck down a quart of G2 after a warm weather run. That one day was particularly humid and I knew something was odd when after only a couple of miles I was sweating profusely. I brushed my hair back with my hand and it felt as if I was in the shower. When I was done I had heart palpitations which caused anxiety and only made it worse.Sounds like you lost a lot of potassium. Potassium helps regulate your heartbeat.

Dr. Who
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
I salt tomatoes and potatoes but otherwise I usually don't add salt to my food.The only thing I'm really inclined to salt is meat and even then, not that much... well except for french fries, which I rarely eat.

Mister D
06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
The only thing I'm really inclined to salt is meat and even then, not that much... well except for french fries, which I rarely eat.

mmmm salty steak fries...:smiley:

Mister D
06-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Sounds like you lost a lot of potassium. Potassium helps regulate your heartbeat.

Aha! That must be it then. That was creepy as hell. Yeah, I lost a lot of fluid and I noticed it early. Like a jackass I pushed myself even harder than normal.

Dr. Who
06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Aha! That must be it then. That was creepy as hell. Yeah, I lost a lot of fluid and I noticed it early. Like a jackass I pushed myself even harder than normal.Running in any kind of extreme weather has its downside. Too cold, you get frosted lungs, too hot and your body has to work to hard to regulate your body temperature.

Captain Obvious
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
The time has long past for citizens of NY to rise up with pitchfork and torch in hand and storm the Governors palace.

Don't stay up all night waiting for it to happen though, just sit there and watch your liberties be taken away from you.

Sytha
06-06-2013, 07:28 PM

it does not sound as if they are trying to ban anything but to increase their add campaign. I have to agree with them, drinking high calorie/high sugar drinks are not good for you.

an add is not a ban.

this is what a soda ban looks like
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/united-states/soda-ban-in-effect-san-francisco-city-vending-machines-38713.html

Sytha
06-06-2013, 07:29 PM
The time has long past for citizens of NY to rise up with pitchfork and torch in hand and storm the Governors palace.

Don't stay up all night waiting for it to happen though, just sit there and watch your liberties be taken away from you.

the NYC nannies have nothing on the SF nannies.

Sytha
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Aha! That must be it then. That was creepy as hell. Yeah, I lost a lot of fluid and I noticed it early. Like a jackass I pushed myself even harder than normal.

at least no you know what to watch for, and how to fix it.

jillian
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM

you mean the mayor?

er... he's out of office at the end of this year. i doubt anyone's going to storm gracie mansion.

Ravi
06-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Right. Because saying sugar is bad for you deserves the punishment of death.

jillian
06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Right. Because saying sugar is bad for you deserves the punishment of death.

yah.. that was kind of goofy.

Mister D
06-07-2013, 08:13 AM
at least no you know what to watch for, and how to fix it.

Yeah, I'm more careful now. I have some alternate routes too that keep me relatively close to my house (i.e. near cool air and water).