PDA

View Full Version : Auditing Free Stuff Costs You Big…

Taxcutter
06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
…in Taxachusetts. No doubt in other places, too.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_politics/2013/06/shaunna_o_connell_pays_info_ransom

The state makes it expensive to access EBT data. No wonder nobody ever digs into free stuff fraud.

Quote:
“If DTA wants to hold these records hostage and make me pay ransom for them, then I’m going to pay the ransom for them,” she told the Herald as she embarked on her mission. “These should be public records. The public has a right to know.”

“Gov. Deval Patrick has supported the $800 price tag for the records, with officials saying the money will be used to compile the data.”

Taxcutter says:
In 1980, I’d believe that, but with today’s technology,that information should take at most a few minutes. $800 is excessive and is a figure chosen to discourage all but the most determined – like Ms. O’Connell.

Quote:
“…a customer’s alarming $7,000 EBT balance.
“Somebody who accumulated that much money shouldn’t be on welfare,” she said. “That’s fraud.”

“…DTA paid about $2.4 million to 1,100 dead people — and doled out millions more to live recipients collecting EBT benefits from Florida and Las Vegas to the Virgin Islands.”

Taxcutter says:
That’s where your infrastructure money went.

Like I said, don’t bet this hurdle and others to investigating free stuff don’t exist in other states and the federal government. There is beaucoup corruption being hidden.