PDA

View Full Version : Another Republican congressman ventured into the realm of rape and pregnancy

Cigar
06-13-2013, 06:53 AM
GOP congressman: Rate of pregnancies from rape is ‘very low’
Another Republican congressman ventured into the realm of rape and pregnancy Wednesday, saying at a committee hearing that incidences of pregnancy from rape are “very low.”

Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), whose measure banning abortions after 20 weeks was being considered in the House Judiciary Committee, argued against a Democratic amendment to make exceptions for rape and incest by suggesting that pregnancy from rape is rare.

“Before, when my friends on the left side of the aisle here tried to make rape and incest the subject — because, you know, the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low,” Franks said.

Franks continued: “But when you make that exception, there’s usually a requirement to report the rape within 48 hours. And in this case that’s impossible because this is in the sixth month of gestation. And that’s what completely negates and vitiates the purpose for such an amendment.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/06/12/gop-congressman-rate-of-pregnancies-from-rape-is-very-low/

Once again ... "no-one" can dispute or claim this is a misquote. :f_doh:

These can no longer be claimed as isolated incidences; these are "elected" officials with voting constituents and thus is excepted beliefs. :loco:

Adelaide
06-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Statistically the odds are low, but are no different than the rate for unprotected sex. It's a myth that the body experiences too much stress for a pregnancy to take place - the only type of stress that interferes with the ability to become pregnant is chronic/long-term stress, not acute, due to changes in the way hormones are affected.

Cigar
06-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Statistically the odds are low, but are no different than the rate for unprotected sex. It's a myth that the body experiences too much stress for a pregnancy to take place - the only type of stress that interferes with the ability to become pregnant is chronic/long-term stress, not acute, due to changes in the way hormones are affected.

Sure didn't work for the Girls in Ohio :wink:

Mainecoons
06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Another partisan hack thread. The absence of these during your absence was also quite refreshing.

Cigar
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Another partisan hack thread. The absence of these during your absence was also quite refreshing.

Well guess what ... I'm back, and there ain't a fucking thing you can do about it. :grin:

JimH52
06-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Do these people have Jello for brains?

CRUE CAB
06-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Well take his point for a second.
I dont agree that we should make a woman carry a baby to term that is the product of a rape.
But his point is, why are we punishing the unborn child? Giving it a death sentence, instead of a death sentence for the rapist?
Its actually a good question. May take some philosophical mind bending to figure that one out.

Cigar
06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
I dont agree that we should make a woman carry a baby to term that is the product of a rape.
But his point is, why are we punishing the unborn child? Giving it a death sentence, instead of a death sentence for the rapist?
Its actually a good question. May take some philosophical mind bending to figure that one out.

My Wife said; until I can carry a Baby full term, STFU about what a Women can or can't do with her body. :shocked:

... and I told her, until she can adjust the cams on LS2 Engine, don't fuck with my car. :tongue:

nic34
06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Frankie is an anti-abortion nutter that has no challenge in his red district .... many of us in his district challenged him about his $$ support from Tom the hammer Delay during the Northern Mariana Islands sweatshops scandal. His wife, ironically is Filipino, who are where many of the young girls are from that were abused.

Remember this?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/09/real.delay/

I've no respect for that man.

Cigar
06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
It's Not Just Akin
http://itsnotjustakin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/akinbanner.png

http://itsnotjustakin.com/ :grin:

JimH52
06-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Frankie is an anti-abortion nutter that has no challenge in his red district .... many of us in his district challenged him about his $$ support from Tom the hammer Delay during the Northern Mariana Islands sweatshops scandal. His wife, ironically is Filipino, who are where many of the young girls are from that were abused.

Remember this?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/09/real.delay/

I've no respect for that man.

How long will Gerrymandering work for the GOP? Any ideas?

nic34
06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Good question Jim.

CRUE CAB
06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
My Wife said; until I can carry a Baby full term, STFU about what a Women can or can't do with her body. :shocked:

... and I told her, until she can adjust the cams on LS2 Engine, don't fuck with my car. :tongue:Cams?

JimH52
06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Good question Jim.

Expecting Chris to answer with a Question...

CRUE CAB
06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Why cant someone answer the question without getting all partisan about it?
Why kill the baby but not the rapist?

nic34
06-13-2013, 02:24 PM
what "baby"?

Polt
06-13-2013, 03:19 PM
The baby-killers are ignoring the meat of the Congressman's statement. A rape exception for a late term abortion is unnecessary for anyone who believes in abortion after rape. If the woman was raped and become pregnant, she already had six months to get that abortion. The only function this exception would serve is to invite women to lie by claiming to be raped to get a late-term abortion.

Mainecoons
06-13-2013, 03:19 PM
How long will Gerrymandering work for the GOP? Any ideas?

Any idea why you can't stay on topic? ADD?

nic34
06-13-2013, 03:42 PM
If the woman was raped and become pregnant, she already had six months to get that abortion.

Yeah, sure what could be easier.....!

JimH52
06-13-2013, 04:05 PM

No answer, huh?

jillian
06-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Do these people have Jello for brains?

no.

they're appealing to the "base".... they know this trashl isn't going anywhere.

but someone really should take these old men and teach them a thing or two about women... or at least explain that no matter how badly they want, they can't return us to the 1800's

jillian
06-13-2013, 06:50 PM

why don't you try sticking to any topic besides trying to be chief troll

zelmo1234
06-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Good question Jim.

Well being in 2010 the Democrats lost evenything and for the first time in many states have republican governemnts. the districts are drawn every 10 years so I would say that this will go on for another 8 years at least!

Dr. Who
06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Please refrain from using profanities on the forum. Thank you.

JimH52
06-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Well being in 2010 the Democrats lost evenything and for the first time in many states have republican governemnts. the districts are drawn every 10 years so I would say that this will go on for another 8 years at least!

True, and by the time the 2020 census is counted, the demographics will have changed so much that it will be near impossible for the Grand Old Party of Old White Men to find those safe districts. Texas may be in play in 2016.

Ransom
06-13-2013, 08:10 PM

So any husband given news his wife is pregnant must leave the decision up to the wife regarding carry to term? Should a husband have no rights where that decision is concerned assuming the two become pregnant engaged in marital consensual sex?

Private Pickle
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
So any husband given news his wife is pregnant must leave the decision up to the wife regarding carry to term? Should a husband have no rights where that decision is concerned assuming the two become pregnant engaged in marital consensual sex?

Correct.

jillian
06-13-2013, 08:21 PM

someone has to have final say.

or do you think we should legislate relationships along with a woman's right to exercise dominion over her own body?

JimH52
06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
If many republican had their way, the state could even require invasive probes for women. I assume legislating relationships is not far behind.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57392796-503544/virginia-gov-bob-mcdonnell-signs-virginia-ultrasound-bill/

jillian
06-13-2013, 08:31 PM

how about old men stop making laws to control women?

Cigar
06-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Look ... are you new to marriage?

What would you rather do, argue or watch the game? :laugh:

Adelaide
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM

As a woman who supports freedom of choice but would never have an abortion herself, I can tell you that rape resulting in pregnancy might be the exception. I know that there are some very high profile women out there who have spoken out about not only not getting an abortion but are raising their child themselves, but I don't know how someone could not hate the unborn and then hate the born. I could see it (pregnancy, parenthood) as being a constant reminder of what happened. On top of that, scientifically it's looking as though genetics plays at least a minor roll in the characteristics and personality traits that we have, and that would seriously deter me from following my personal moral code as it applies to abortion. Although the risk would be low and statistically difficult to discover, I'd never want to have/raise a child with any of the characterstics of a/the rapist.

Cigar
06-14-2013, 10:30 AM
As a woman who supports freedom of choice but would never have an abortion herself, I can tell you that rape resulting in pregnancy might be the exception. I know that there are some very high profile women out there who have spoken out about not only not getting an abortion but are raising their child themselves, but I don't know how someone could not hate the unborn and then hate the born. I could see it (pregnancy, parenthood) as being a constant reminder of what happened. On top of that, scientifically it's looking as though genetics plays at least a minor roll in the characteristics and personality traits that we have, and that would seriously deter me from following my personal moral code as it applies to abortion. Although the risk would be low and statistically difficult to discover, I'd never want to have/raise a child with any of the characterstics of a/the rapist.

Maybe the people who are so concerned about the unborn child of a rapist would volunteer their time and resource to raise that child themselves. :wink:

CRUE CAB
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
how about old men stop making laws to control women?
You dodged the question. This is not about old men and women.

JimH52
06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
You dodged the question. This is not about old men and women.

Right. It is about Old Men trying to dictate to Young Women.

Cigar
06-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Right. It is about Old Men trying to dictate to Young Women.

Ever wonder what their Tent is going to look like in the next 10 years? :grin:

Better put on Sunglasses :laugh:

Ransom
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
someone has to have final say.

or do you think we should legislate relationships along with a woman's right to exercise dominion over her own body?

I absolutely do think we should legislate men's rights, this is a pregnancy within a legal marriage, I believe the father when it's consensual marital relations within a marriage should have a choice as well. Both already made the choice to get married and have mraital relations, a child is now realized.....the man should have rights, I believe both signatures should be needed for an abortion. Some men do strongly believe that is their child a much as the mother's no matter to term or otherwise. Men's rights do exist Jillian, do you hate men or something?

Ransom
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Ever wonder what their Tent is going to look like in the next 10 years? :grin:

Better put on Sunglasses :laugh:

Some people don't shape themselves, who they are, or define their own values by any political party. Sheep wouldn't know that so I won't spend time explaining. You baaa along to the herd's tune, good luck.

Ever consider this is the reason why your posts are so tennis match back and forth? No values. Nothing concrete.

nic34
06-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I absolutely do think we should legislate men's rights, this is a pregnancy within a legal marriage, I believe the father when it's consensual marital relations within a marriage should have a choice as well. Both already made the choice to get married and have mraital relations, a child is now realized.....the man should have rights, I believe both signatures should be needed for an abortion. Some men do strongly believe that is their child a much as the mother's no matter to term or otherwise. Men's rights do exist Jillian, do you hate men or something?

Too bad the mother can't decide WHICH one of them has to take it to term....

Cigar
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Some people don't shape themselves, who they are, or define their own values by any political party. Sheep wouldn't know that so I won't spend time explaining. You baaa along to the herd's tune, good luck.

Ever consider this is the reason why your posts are so tennis match back and forth? No values. Nothing concrete.

Great Campaigning Speech :laugh:

Good Luck getting back to the White House with it,