PDA

View Full Version : “I Don’t Have Anything to Hide.”

Taxcutter
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Wanna bet?

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/06/why-i-have-nothing-to-hide-is-the-wrong-way-to-think-about-surveillance/

Literally everything we do is in violation of some law. Just which ones? Who knows?

Quote:
“If the federal government can’t even count how many laws there are, what chance does an individual have of being certain that they are not acting in violation of one of them?

“…did you know that it is a federal crime (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/16/3372) to be in possession of a lobster under a certain size? It doesn’t matter if you bought it at a grocery store, if someone else gave it to you, if it’s dead or alive, if you found it after it died of natural causes, or even if you killed it while acting in self defense. You can go to jail because of a lobster.”

“You probably do have something to hide, you just don’t know it yet.”

Taxcutter says:
The federal government has put all of us in legal jeopardy. Even if we don’t know it.

Taxcutter’s two step plan:

Assuming the federal government cannot show us why we need this level of surveillance the enhanced information gathering against Americans should be immediately defunded and dismantled.

Secondly, there must be a massive purge of all criminal codes. Get the “Jail for lobster” laws off the books.

The first step treats the symptom , but the second step cures the disease.

Polt
06-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Also, for those who think Big Brother is harmless now, if we capitulate to the current level of surveillance, the government will respond by expanding surveillance. And, even if we're not breaking any laws, this information can be used in abusive ways, as we've seen the IRS, DOJ, EPA, and other government agencies under Obama being abusive of their power.

I'd prefer to live free than have the government "protect me from terrorists."

Frogger
06-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Many people say that the government is not tyrannical, that we don't have to worry about losing our freedoms. That might be correct but we are setting up the apparatuses needed if a future government wants to be tyrannical

Mainecoons
06-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Looking at the IRS, I'd say the current government wants to be tyrannical too.

CRUE CAB
06-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Voters today dont understand what freedom truely is.
Most people have the idea of freedom beaten out of them by the 12th grade.
Once you hit school, there are a hundred and one rules to follow. Graduate and find out how easily you can lose what freedoms you think you have left.
Free to marry? Nope, there is a government component for that.
Free to own a gun? Nope, there is a government component for that.
Free to get a divorce? Nope, not until a judge says so.
Free to live in any state? Nope. Well you can, but try renting a place with no state ID or getting a job.
Free to drive? Nope, the G has a million rules for driving and the insurace industry has you by the wallet.
Free to have kids? Nope. Try raising your kids with out some level of government intervention.
Freedom is a ideal, not something tangible. Not something that is anylonger looked at as free.