PDA

View Full Version : Economic Data Suggests Supply Side Economics Doesn't Work

Conley
07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
"While the U.S. economy staggers through one of its slowest recoveries since the Great Depression, American companies are poised to report strong earnings for the second quarter -- exposing a dichotomy between corporate performance and the overall health of the economy."

That's from the Wall Street Journal, can't find a free copy of the full article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304760604576426153929429820.html?m od=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

"Democrats come in for their share of the blame, too. The worst economic recovery for American workers in history has happened on Obama's watch, and he appears remarkably oblivious to it. He may live to regret this oversight."

"Over this six quarter period, corporate profits captured 88% of the growth in real national income while aggregate wages and salaries accounted for only slightly more than 1% of the growth in real national income. The extraordinarily high share of national income (88%) received by corporate profits was by far the highest in the past five recoveries from national recessions ... In the first six quarters of recovery from the 1990-91 recession, corporate profits experienced no growth whatsoever, and they generated on average only 30 per cent of national income growth during the recoveries from the 1981-82 and 1973-75 recessions."

http://www.salon.com/technology/how_the_world_works/2011/07/06/the_final_nail_in_the_supply_side_coffin/index.html

To echo the points from the articles, it is interesting that companies are willing to just sit on huge piles of cash reserves. There is no interest rate to speak of, so you would think if ever a company would reinvest that money into expansion and new hiring it would be now. Obviously if interest rates were high then they would be more inclined to keep cash and grow it. The whole driving force behind slashing the tax rates, going in to debt, etc was that it would lead to more corporate spending and stimulate the overall economy at large. So, if not now, then never it seems.

Conley
07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LdSFe.jpg

carpe diem
07-19-2011, 11:56 PM
No business is going to make large scale investments and attempt risky growths when the government leadership is poised to punish them for doing so. Much wiser to wait...hoping that future leadership has a better grasp on capitalism and how our economy can work.

wingrider
07-20-2011, 12:56 AM
welcome carpe diem, nice to have you on board

MMC
07-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Welcome to the Rant CD.....good seeing you here. I agree. My question would be is what can the left side economics come back in return with what you have with this article from the WSJ. Especially within the first 6 months of each recession.

Also all those EU economists constantly harp on that they see growth for the second half of the year. We need to stop listening to them. Their economies are more dependant on that global thing and us not the other way around.

As for the jobs Already Borders is dropping 11k to the ranks of the unemployed. Cysko sytems is laying off 6500 nationwide as they streamline their buisness. Barnes and Nobles will be soon to follow with the book stores......Hertz is buying out most of the small time lease dealers. So that will be more jobs lost. Such as Thrifty and Dollar leasing as well as Fleet/Lease. I think they are way off on the recovery of jobs.

Conley
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
No business is going to make large scale investments and attempt risky growths when the government leadership is poised to punish them for doing so. Much wiser to wait...hoping that future leadership has a better grasp on capitalism and how our economy can work.

Welcome Carp!

That is a good point...still I would not say Obama has been very punitive towards corporations. He has been nothing but a friend to big business. What has he done to punish them? I believe he is very much a corporatist.

I do believe Obama will change his stripes in his second term, everything up until now has been wishy-washy trying to secure a reelection.

Conley
07-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Now as far as screwing smaller and independent businesses I agree that the dems have definitely done that and done it well >:(

MMC
07-20-2011, 01:29 PM
You are right about Obama being a Corporatist.....many of the left are and most Dems refuse to acknowledge it.