PDA

View Full Version : Keystone XL and Obama

Conley
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Is there any better example of Obama's indecisiveness than Keystone XL? His decision to... postpone his decision is just kicking the can down the road so to speak. It doesn't surprise me at all that he garners absolutely zero enthusiasm any more. Who can support a man who has no convictions?

Mister D
12-13-2011, 10:19 AM
It's all maneuvering for the election. I wouldn't single him out though.

MMC
12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I wouldnt.....as the Repubs are playing on this as well. Using it as a negotiating point. Seems the ones that stand to gain the most are the Canadians. Even if it does create jobs.

Conley
12-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I wouldnt.....as the Repubs are playing on this as well. Using it as a negotiating point. Seems the ones that stand to gain the most are the Canadians. Even if it does create jobs.

Well they own the oil...better that they get paid than the Saudis.

MMC
12-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I think it would be better if we paid no one and we got our own! It's called work!

Mister D
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM

I don't mean anything about political negotiation. I get the feeling BO is just putting this off until he has a better feel for what will be the most popular decision going into the election.

Conley
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't mean anything about political negotiation. I get the feeling BO is just putting this off until he has a better feel for what will be the most popular decision going into the election.

IMO either way he is going to piss a large group of people off, so that's why he's delaying it. I believe the delay relates to his reelection campaign and has nothing to do with evaluating the best interests of the country he was elected to serve.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
IMO either way he is going to piss a large group of people off, so that's why he's delaying it. I believe the delay relates to his reelection campaign and has nothing to do with evaluating the best interests of the country he was elected to serve.

Exactly.

MMC
12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Truthfully I think he will use it as leverage to get something if he gives in on it......I mean he already has UNmanned check points on our Northern Border.

jgreer
12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Its not an easy decision it affects millions of lives. Look at this thread opinions are divided I think its good he waits and makes a smart choice no need to rush it

MMC
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Well Obama.....while he did state he would make the final decision on keystone. He did say the Authority of Permitting the Project Remains with the State Dept.....
"The State Department has hit the brakes on a congressional plan to revive the controversial Keystone XL pipeline project, signaling Monday that it would not be willing to authorize the project under an "arbitrary deadline."

"Should Congress impose an arbitrary deadline for the permit decision, its actions (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#) would not only compromise the process, it would prohibit the Department from acting consistently with National Environmental Policy (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#) Act requirements," the State Department said in a statement. "In the absence of properly completing the process, the Department would be unable to make a determination to issue a permit for this project.".....snip~

Looks Like Clinton's Office put the brakes on the issue, yesterday! Guess the Clinton's cover what he can't think of!!!!!

Here is one of the links.....this one is by the Huffington Post. Figured I would use their own attack-dog.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/12/keystone-xl-state-department_n_1144570.html

MMC
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Well Obama.....while he did state he would make the final decision on keystone. He did say the Authority of Permitting the Project Remains with the State Dept.....

"The State Department has hit the brakes on a congressional plan to revive the controversial Keystone XL pipeline project, signaling Monday that it would not be willing to authorize the project under an "arbitrary deadline."

"Should Congress impose an arbitrary deadline for the permit decision, its actions (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#) would not only compromise the process, it would prohibit the Department from acting consistently with National Environmental Policy (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#) Act requirements," the State Department said in a statement. "In the absence of properly completing the process, the Department would be unable to make a determination to issue a permit for this project.".....snip~

Looks Like Clinton's Office put the brakes on the issue, yesterday! Guess the Clinton's cover what he can't think of!!!!!

Here is one of the links.....this one is by the Huffington Post. Figured I would use their own attack-dog.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/12/keystone-xl-state-department_n_1144570.html

MMC
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Don't know why it doubled up like that. Oh well!

MMC
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker John Boehner predicted Monday that the House will approve legislation that renews a payroll tax cut and curtails extra benefits for the long-term unemployed.
The House is expected to approve the roughly $180 billion measure on Tuesday. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has said the bill will go nowhere in the Senate, citing a provision all but forcing President Barack Obama to move ahead quickly with a controversial oil pipeline that would run from Canada to Texas.....snip~

From our other thread on the Pay Roll Tax cut. Course now we know what provision Reid was not citing that the Repubs threw-in on a House Bill. Offering up somthing in return for the Piepline to be approved.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Who is actually against this pipeline aside from wacko enviromentalists?

MMC
12-13-2011, 02:05 PM
House passed it right.....so some of the Demos were on board. Plus after Jan 2012 Shell will be starting those wells off the Coast of Alaska as they have finally cleared the hurdle thru the Supreme Court. Barring Obama doesnt try to interfere with that.

Pendragon
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Who is actually against this pipeline aside from wacko enviromentalists?

I am against it and I am not a 'wacko' environmentalist. There is nothing 'wacko' about wanting to preserve our air and drinking water. What is 'wacko' is bowing to the demands of international energy conglomerates for no substantial benefit. Ponder that will you?

MMC
12-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Well they got a host of places they could start with right here in the US rather than worrying about Canada's Water and Air. If that is the case. I mean Canada doesn't have a problem with it and it is on their soil!

Mister D
12-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Well they got a host of places they could start with right here in the US rather than worrying about Canada's Water and Air. If that is the case. I mean Canada doesn't have a problem with it and it is on their soil!

True.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I am against it and I am not a 'wacko' environmentalist. There is nothing 'wacko' about wanting to preserve our air and drinking water. What is 'wacko' is bowing to the demands of international energy conglomerates for no substantial benefit. Ponder that will you?

But you don't want us involved in the Mid East? I know you're into fantasy games, Pen, but try to keep the fantasy out of your politics.

Pendragon
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
But you don't want us involved in the Mid East? I know you're into fantasy games, Pen, but try to keep the fantasy out of your politics.

Must you insult me constantly?

No one wants us involved in the Middle East other than war profiteers and oil men.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Must you insult me constantly?

No one wants us involved in the Middle East other than war profiteers and oil men.

We're in the Mid East because oil is a strategic resource. It's a must for this economy for the foreseeable future. Now you can deal with that reality or you can retreat into a fantasy world. If you are against plans like this pipeline and meddling in the Mid East you simply do not have a serious position.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
And you insult/attack me all the time. You reap what you sow.

MMC
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Not only will this create jobs for that Industry this will also create jobs for all those environmentalists that will be watching to keep tabs and get those law suits filed asap. Also I am sure a few hubs with trucking depots and eateries, some motels, and gas Stations.

I am not a big fan of the trucking industry as it is now.( I believe our trucks could be modified for fuel and transport) So such would be my concern as Canada wants to run their Oil straight thru to Mexico as well. Mexico wants to run their goods straight thru to Canada. Both want to use all that Space in between. U-know US Land. Oh, and how many state borders? But for some reason they dont want to have to be regulated, inspected other than from point of entry, free from state tolls etc etc. Which runs back to that NAFTA HWY. Whereas Mexico feels it should be allowed to truck throughout all of the US.

We got problems with our trucks on the roads as is.....let alone accept lesser standards of vehicle safety from two different countries. Which opens also two other areas of concern. Border Security and Illegal Immigration. Just testing those issues alone I would question all the BS about having open Borders and Unmanned Check points. Still these are problems that can be solved with Jobs for those of that nature. Still there is nothing we can do about those hired by foreign companies working in their own countries. We cannot go and run background checks on them or digging into their backgrounds. We then could be accused of spying. (if caught) Same thing with the start of companies in those foreign countries.

roadmaster
12-25-2011, 03:37 AM
I am for the pipeline except the route they have chosen. Most of it goes over Indian land and in Neb goes right over the underground springs. Not an environmentalist but it looks like they are doing this intentionally. Got to be suspicious of this route and already with so many leaks in Canada their drinking water on the reserves are no good. These big oil companies need to make sure it is maintained and protects the USAs water, land and borders. If it's not in their backyard most likely they will cut corners or play the blame game.
We need the jobs here but just like the other oil spill in the gulf, citigroup owned a percentage of the company and never did they even come out and accept any responsibility or help with the clean up. We also need to make sure our people are employed, citizens of the US and not illegals up and down the pipeline.

MMC
12-25-2011, 06:32 AM
I am for the pipeline except the route they have chosen. Most of it goes over Indian land and in Neb goes right over the underground springs. Not an environmentalist but it looks like they are doing this intentionally. Got to be suspicious of this route and already with so many leaks in Canada their drinking water on the reserves are no good. These big oil companies need to make sure it is maintained and protects the USAs water, land and borders. If it's not in their backyard most likely they will cut corners or play the blame game.
We need the jobs here but just like the other oil spill in the gulf, citigroup owned a percentage of the company and never did they even come out and accept any responsibility or help with the clean up. We also need to make sure our people are employed, citizens of the US and not illegals up and down the pipeline.

I agree with much of what you said. Moreover we should not count those jobs that will be given to Americans but that Work and live in Canada either.

Conley
12-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Good points Roadmaster. I didn't know drinking water in Canada had been contaminated in this way, that's definitely a huge concern.

Mister D
12-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Very reasonable, Roadmaster.

MMC
12-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah I didnt know Canada was having problems with their Fresh Water. <<<<<makes note not to buy bottled Waters from Canada. Do they have any sort of fix? What about for Justin Bieber? :laugh: :wink: