PDA

View Full Version : Jobless men disrupt Iran president speech: reports

Mister D
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Laid-off workers complaining about unpaid wages disrupted a speech by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday by shouting and throwing objects, news websites and an agency reported.
One of the men threw a "pair of shoes" at Ahmadinejad, according to a report by a little-known website, Ghasednews.ir, that was picked up by the mainstream Mehr news agency and the website of the Tehran Times newspaper.
Ghasednews.ir said the man was attacked by Ahmadinejad supporters and had to be rescued by security personnel.
Other websites, including the hardline outlet Khabaronline.ir, said only unspecified "objects" were thrown by disgruntled former textile workers in the northern city of Sari demanding a year of unpaid back pay.
State media and the president's office were silent on the reported incident.
AFP, which like other foreign media is subject to reporting restrictions in Iran, could not independently confirm the reports.

http://news.yahoo.com/jobless-men-disrupt-iran-president-speech-reports-190619347.html

MMC
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I take it those werent no Stacy Adams shoes.....huh?

Conley
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Shoes have a whole weird mystique about them over there. I remember Bush getting one chucked at him and I think Saddam was offended when Richard Butler crossed his feet and showed him the sole (by accident). Apparently it's a big deal but Butler was clueless.

Anyway, good to see Iran isn't exempt from these protests sweeping the globe...

Mister D
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Shoes have a whole weird mystique about them over there. I remember Bush getting one chucked at him and I think Saddam was offended when Richard Butler crossed his feet and showed him the sole (by accident). Apparently it's a big deal but Butler was clueless.

Anyway, good to see Iran isn't exempt from these protests sweeping the globe...

I remember the Bush incident. That's why this caught my eye.

MMC
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Interesting that the one guy was saved by Security forces from Ahmadinejad Supporters.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Interesting that the one guy was saved by Security forces from Ahmadinejad Supporters.

I'm sure they pack the goons in whenever he gives a speech.

Mister D
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I doubt being a heckler is a safe choice in many parts of the world.

MMC
12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm sure they pack the goons in whenever he gives a speech.

I figured that.....I just thought the Security Forces would be Ahmadinejad's as well.

MMC
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I doubt being a heckler is a safe choice in many parts of the world.

Yeah.....no comedy clubs either! :wink: