PDA

View Full Version : Paula Deen wtf?

Ravi
06-19-2013, 06:01 PM
I admit, I'm prejudiced against her because, imo, food served at her restaurant tastes like a heavily-salt-laden stick of butter.

But this is so freaking out there it....

Last month, Food Network chef Paula Deen gave a videotaped deposition as part of a discrimination suit she’s facing in which she discussed her desire to have a “very southern style wedding” for her brother modeled after a restaurant where the “whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men” clad in white jackets and black bow ties, according to a transcript of the deposition filed in federal court in Georgia. Deen also admitted to having used the N word and discussed the ways the word could be “not said in a mean way.”
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/06/paula-deen-racial.php?ref=fpa

jillian
06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
oy

junie
06-19-2013, 06:19 PM
lol i guess that's what too much mayonnaise can do to your brain :dontknow:

Sytha
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
she is looking for her 15 minutes of fame and a pay out.

She was not discriminated against. No one is claiming discrimination. All that this woman has is a he said she said comment about a truthful depiction of how things were, and of being *gasp* offended by the *gasp* n word.

Polt
06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
How does Paula's "ever" use of the n-word demonstrate that she discriminated against the colored woman suing her? In modern America, it's okay to prejudice juries against whites.

Paula isn't a smart woman and from this revelation she'll probably be retiring from the public eye. And, she'll be handing over her purse to that colored woman unless the lawsuit is grossly without merit.

GrassrootsConservative
06-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I admit, I'm prejudiced against her because, imo, food served at her restaurant tastes like a heavily-salt-laden stick of butter.

But this is so freaking out there it....http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/06/paula-deen-racial.php?ref=fpa

No worse than anyone else who uses the N word.... including many black children in urban neighborhoods.

Why is it okay for them to say it and not Paula Deen?

Frogger
06-19-2013, 07:51 PM
A few years back my wife and I were in Savannah Georgia. We waited on a line for about a hour one morning that got us a ticket that allowed us to wait on another line later in the day to be allowed to go in the restaurant and buy dinner. It was a big disappointment. The food was served buffet style and tasted about the same as food in a school cafeteria. I am no fan of Paua Deen.

Having said that, I don't think she should be subjected to a law suit for using the N word. Being offended should not be a reason for a law suit.

Sytha
06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
How does Paula's "ever" use of the n-word demonstrate that she discriminated against the colored woman suing her? In modern America, it's okay to prejudice juries against whites.

Paula isn't a smart woman and from this revelation she'll probably be retiring from the public eye. And, she'll be handing over her purse to that colored woman unless the lawsuit is grossly without merit.

the woman suing her is white.

. In the complaint, Jackson is described as a “white female.” However the complaint noted she has biracial nieces, so “derogatory remarks regarding African Americans are even more personally offensive to Ms. Jackson than they would be to another white citizen.”

Chris
06-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Look it up, Paula Deen is an Old Southern Liberal Democrat. Racism seems to come naturally from them, it has a long history.

GrassrootsConservative
06-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Look it up, Paula Deen is an Old Southern Liberal Democrat. Racism seems to come naturally from them, it has a long history.

I had assumed everyone on this forum already knew that.

Chris
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I had assumed everyone on this forum already knew that.

My bad then but I wondered as no one mentioned this.

GrassrootsConservative
06-19-2013, 08:29 PM
My bad then but I wondered as no one mentioned this.

Ya. I just learned from her wikipedia page too that she's been on Oprah's show multiple times as well. I would love to hear how Oprah feels about her fellow Democrat's comments.

Chris
06-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Ya. I just learned from her wikipedia page too that she's been on Oprah's show multiple times as well. I would love to hear how Oprah feels about her fellow Democrat's comments.

You won't hear her over the cognitive dissonance.

Polt
06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
the woman suing her is white.

Say what? A white woman is suing Paula Deen for discrimination, and Paula's use of the n-word is relevant to this?

Checking... checking... a white woman who was the general manager of the restaurant. How was this general manager discriminated against? Was she passed over for the position of dishwasher? It sounds like she didn't like Babba's (Paula's kin) crudeness, not that she was actually ever harassed or discriminated against.

junie
06-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Paula Deen's Contract Is Toast After Quick-Fire Criticism (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/21/194334716/after-quick-fire-criticism-paula-deens-contract-is-toast)

The Food Network will not renew the celebrity chef's contract at the end of the month, following backlash from a deposition for a discrimination lawsuit in which Deen admitted to using the N-word.

Mainecoons
06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
PC run amuck.

Peter1469
06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Or maybe a concern about future advertising revenues.

junie
06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
PC run amuck.

some individual decided to sue her... a former employee...

it's not the pc police, it's a chain reaction, a flash in the pan.

imo paula deen is not mean spirited. i bet that pie is awesome too! :laugh:

jillian
06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
PC run amuck.

how is that 'run amuck'? on what planet is it ok for people to use racial slurs?

Mainecoons
06-21-2013, 06:40 PM
She did not use that on her program. It has nothing to do with her program.

PC run amuck. Your specialty.

Polt
06-21-2013, 07:02 PM
how is that 'run amuck'? on what planet is it ok for people to use racial slurs?

On your African planet? Blacks go around using racial slurs all the time, with either your blessing or your blind eye.

People do a lot of things they shouldn't. But, it's Paula Deen's business, not yours. You libs need to learn to mind your own business. Should everyone who uses foul language be sued?

Chloe
06-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Racial slurs are inappropriate for anybody to use in my opinion regardless of race. They are slurs for a reason. They need to either be condemned all around or accepted all around, and the n word is obviously not something that should be accepted in my opinion. If you know it's wrong to say it then you shouldn't say it, especially when you consider the history.

Peter1469
06-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Let's get back on topic and get off the racial slurs.

Polt
06-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Food Network announced they're dumping Paula Deen. There was never any doubt after Paula's foolish confession.

Paula Deen grovelingly apologized, as if that was going to make a difference.

Sytha
06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Racial slurs are inappropriate for anybody to use in my opinion regardless of race. They are slurs for a reason. They need to either be condemned all around or accepted all around, and the n word is obviously not something that should be accepted in my opinion. If you know it's wrong to say it then you shouldn't say it, especially when you consider the history.

so long as blacks call other blacks the "n" word and its no big thing, not a slur, and a just another word.... then it should be on the table for everyone else to say it

period.

Chris
06-21-2013, 07:44 PM

You posted a racist remark earlier, so I guess that would be this planet.

Chris
06-21-2013, 07:46 PM

Exactly. Like with insults, those who use them reveal something about their own character, Deen, anyone.

Chloe
06-21-2013, 07:48 PM
so long as blacks call other blacks the "n" word and its no big thing, not a slur, and a just another word.... then it should be on the table for everyone else to say it

period.

Its a shame that there are black people out there that think its ok to use that word so casually. They know its a racial slur in my opinion.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Or maybe a concern about future advertising revenues.

Well, yeah. In a society based on economic transactions it is no surprise.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM

A planet like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIsc8ooXug

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Food Network announced they're dumping Paula Deen. There was never any doubt after Paula's foolish confession.

Paula Deen grovelingly apologized, as if that was going to make a difference.

Right. never give in to these people.

junie
06-21-2013, 08:06 PM
On your African planet? Blacks go around using racial slurs all the time, with either your blessing or your blind eye.

People do a lot of things they shouldn't. But, it's Paula Deen's business, not yours. You libs need to learn to mind your own business. Should everyone who uses foul language be sued?

did it say in the story that the woman suing her is necessarily a liberal...?

who said everyone needs to be sued?

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
did it say in the story that the woman suing her is necessarily a liberal...?

who said everyone needs to be sued?

I bet she's a big fat...ahem. We can be sure she's a liberal.

Dr. Who
06-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Its a shame that there are black people out there that think its ok to use that word so casually. They know its a racial slur in my opinion.This is not unique to African Americans. Many ethnicities who have endured racial slurs have patriated the slur, but only within the community. I don't know why. Perhaps if you make it your own, then it is less hurtful when others use it.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:11 PM
This is not unique to African Americans. Many ethnicities who have endured racial slurs have patriated the slur, but only within the community. I don't know why. Perhaps if you make it your own, then it is less hurtful when others use it.

Who? Other than the brothuz?

Dr. Who
06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Who? Other than the brothuz?I know Italians who use the term "wop" to refer to other Italians who behave in some way that they believe is typical first generation. Hispanics who similarly use the word "spic" etc etc.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:24 PM
I know Italians who use the term "wop" to refer to other Italians who behave in some way that they believe is typical first generation. Hispanics who similarly use the word "spic" etc etc.

I grew up in a heavily Catholic milieu replete with dagos/WOPs a plenty. never heard it except on TV.

Dr. Who
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
I grew up in a heavily Catholic milieu replete with dagos/WOPs a plenty. never heard it except on TV.Yes, well the younger generation has appropriated the terms.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, well the younger generation has appropriated the terms.

I was born in 1975. It was already waaaay out of fashion.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2CX20bBNJE

roadmaster
06-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I can't remember ever saying it but if I had when I was young, wouldn't apologize. Like many different races don't.:rollseyes: When have they ever went against another race that said something like this? She look stupid apologizing.

Dr. Who
06-21-2013, 08:37 PM
I was born in 1975. It was already waaaay out of fashion. But you are not born to a minority community.

Chloe
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
I grew up in a heavily Catholic milieu replete with dagos/WOPs a plenty. never heard it except on TV.

Im sure it's probably a little hypocritical of me but a couple of my friends will jokingly call me a JAP sometimes and I will typically joke along with it as well or even call myself the name to them although it is supposed to be considered offensive. I guess in that sense I can see why some people don't see a problem with certain slurs, but I think that there are a few slurs out there that are just disgustingly vulgar, and the n word is definitely one of them in my opinion.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
But you are not born to a minority community.

Jews and Koreans were, for example. Do they call one another kike and dink?

I know you mean well but this society doesn't. If you want to be a real rebel flaunt their racial standards. You could f**k a horse on TV and it would't have the same effect as n**er. Racism is the new taboo. Golly...I feel like a exhibitionist!

roadmaster
06-21-2013, 08:44 PM
They call many whites red-necks, and the list goes on. All the south did was turn it on them and make red-neck something to be proud of. Like that really got us upset.:grin:

Chris
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Im sure it's probably a little hypocritical of me but a couple of my friends will jokingly call me a JAP sometimes and I will typically joke along with it as well or even call myself the name to them although it is supposed to be considered offensive. I guess in that sense I can see why some people don't see a problem with certain slurs, but I think that there are a few slurs out there that are just disgustingly vulgar, and the n word is definitely one of them in my opinion.

You don't look Japanese. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Called a friend's girl that in college. She stopped talking to me. :undecided:

Peter1469
06-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Well, yeah. In a society based on economic transactions it is no surprise.

Exactly. I guess I should ask my financial dude if I am invested in the Food Network. If not, I don't give a crap. If I am- dump the old used up lady with the occasional racist outburst. :wink:

Mister D
06-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Exactly. I guess I should ask my financial dude if I am invested in the Food Network. If not, I don't give a crap. If I am- dump the old used up lady with the occasional racist outburst. :wink:

Right...sad as it is.

Peter1469
06-21-2013, 09:03 PM

JAP

Jewish American Princess.

junie
06-21-2013, 09:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvGUT5xhts&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Chris
06-21-2013, 09:10 PM

JAP

Jewish American Princess.

Peter, I added three winks.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Peter, I added three winks.

Those eyes looked a little slanted to me...not sure what that was supposed to mean. :grin:

Sytha
06-21-2013, 09:56 PM

and how many law suits are being filed against black rappers for using the *gasp* n word?

sorry, it is not offensive if it is used so casually by the very group that thinks its "offensive"

this woman is someone looking for a pay out, nothing more.

roadmaster
06-21-2013, 09:58 PM
against black rappers They use this term a lot yet no one goes after them.

Polt
06-21-2013, 11:32 PM
sorry, it is not offensive if it is used so casually by the very group that thinks its "offensive"

No, the n-word isn't offensive to blacks. It's just used as an excuse for blacks to rage against whites.

Sytha
06-22-2013, 12:04 AM
No, the n-word isn't offensive to blacks. It's just used as an excuse for blacks to rage against whites.

or in this case...to get a bigger pay out.

junie
06-22-2013, 05:39 AM

:laughing4:

junie
06-22-2013, 06:48 AM
or in this case...to get a bigger pay out.

lol the woman was so offended by paula deen yet she continued to work for paula deen for years and years...? i wonder what is the harm she is claiming and how does the court measure it...? :dontknow:

jillian
06-22-2013, 06:50 AM
lol the woman was so offended by paula deen yet she continued to work for paula deen for years and years...? i wonder what is the harm she is claiming and how does the court measure it...? :dontknow:

actually, it seems to be part of a larger suit about workplace environment. those are always based on long periods of time and exposure.

that's not to say the person is right or is going to win, but the time and the person remaining isn't necessarily unusual in workplace cases.

also, most of these cases get dismissed before they ever go anywhere. this one wasn't.

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 07:01 AM

It owuld explain why the person suing her is White? Because I am sure you are aware it is impossible for a Democrat to be Racist.

When Democrats sat terrible horrible things they ahve misspoken. When a Conservitive slips up, they are the imbodment of the Democratic KKK

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 07:04 AM

While it is offensive to use them it is also her constitutional Right!

So the USA would be the correct answer.

jillian
06-22-2013, 07:16 AM
While it is offensive to use them it is also her constitutional Right!

So the USA would be the correct answer.

it is...

but not in the context of the workplace.

and because you *can* doesn't make it ok if you *do*

there's a distinction.

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 07:21 AM
it is...

there's a distinction.

I agee but in fact I stand and defend people right to say things that I find offensive, because in fact it is thier right to do so!

Nobody and the right to not be offended! That is why we will be taking Prayer back into the public schools in our area this fall. Not public but Private. it is time to get the issue of someone right to not be offended to the supremem court.

We found out a our summer camps that some teachers were telling students that they could hat pray before they eat thier luunch because it was offensive?

If Mrs dean was offensive to her employee's they had every right to leave her employment, If studenst or as I suspect athiesst Teacher are offended by a Student bowing thier head, and saying a silent prayer. TUff Shit!

jillian
06-22-2013, 07:22 AM
I agee but in fact I stand and defend people right to say things that I find offensive, because in fact it is thier right to do so!

Nobody and the right to not be offended! That is why we will be taking Prayer back into the public schools in our area this fall. Not public but Private. it is time to get the issue of someone right to not be offended to the supremem court.

We found out a our summer camps that some teachers were telling students that they could hat pray before they eat thier luunch because it was offensive?

If Mrs dean was offensive to her employee's they had every right to leave her employment, If studenst or as I suspect athiesst Teacher are offended by a Student bowing thier head, and saying a silent prayer. TUff Shit!

not how the law works. you are entitled to work in a place that isn't a hostile work environment.

so you can say "tuff" whatever... it isn't the law. and it shouldn't be the law.

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 07:30 AM
not how the law works. you are entitled to work in a place that isn't a hostile work environment.

so you can say "tuff" whatever... it isn't the law. and it shouldn't be the law.

Hostile, is one thing being offended is another.

You are entitled to work in a safe work place that pays you what you agreed to preform the work for, and a place that does nto discriminat against you. If you are offended by the polices of work ethic of your bosses, It should be your freedom to find another job or grinn and bare it but you are not entitled to not be offended.

For exapmple smoe of my more liberal employee's find it very offensive that we purchase forclosed homes and many times end up renting them and even selling them back to the people that lost them? And we do this at a profit.

The three of them even came into my office to tell me what a discustion practive this was and they did not want to be part of it!

So I told them I would be very happy to give them the best reference in the world and support them in any way I could in finding a new job, but until then they were expected to preform thier jobs of findng forclosed properties to the very best of thier abilities.

Offended or not made mo difference to me, they were hired to do a job!

jillian
06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Hostile, is one thing being offended is another.

You are entitled to work in a safe work place that pays you what you agreed to preform the work for, and a place that does nto discriminat against you. If you are offended by the polices of work ethic of your bosses, It should be your freedom to find another job or grinn and bare it but you are not entitled to not be offended.

For exapmple smoe of my more liberal employee's find it very offensive that we purchase forclosed homes and many times end up renting them and even selling them back to the people that lost them? And we do this at a profit.

The three of them even came into my office to tell me what a discustion practive this was and they did not want to be part of it!

So I told them I would be very happy to give them the best reference in the world and support them in any way I could in finding a new job, but until then they were expected to preform thier jobs of findng forclosed properties to the very best of thier abilities.

Offended or not made mo difference to me, they were hired to do a job!

hostile MEANS offensive but is measured by a legal standard.

i'm not certain why you're ignoring the law.

the first amendment is not unfettered... just like the second isn't unfettered... or the fourth.

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 07:44 AM
hostile MEANS offensive but is measured by a legal standard.

i'm not certain why you're ignoring the law.

the first amendment is not unfettered... just like the second isn't unfettered... or the fourth.

If I remember right you live in NY and it might be true in your state. but here in MI alse liberal! you do not have the right to not be offended in the work place? at least for now!

You do have the right to not be discriminated aginst and their is a difference.

For example I think it was a few years beack that one of the gals tried to sue Hooters becasue they where the tight tops and thei tight shorts. And becasue the restaurant is based upon this immage, she did not ahve a case even though she fonr the clothing offensive? Now if they made her were shorts cut up the side and a top cut donw to her belly she would have ahd a case.

Offensive is in most cases not illegal, though it can be!

jillian
06-22-2013, 07:48 AM
If I remember right you live in NY and it might be true in your state. but here in MI alse liberal! you do not have the right to not be offended in the work place? at least for now!

You do have the right to not be discriminated aginst and their is a difference.

For example I think it was a few years beack that one of the gals tried to sue Hooters becasue they where the tight tops and thei tight shorts. And becasue the restaurant is based upon this immage, she did not ahve a case even though she fonr the clothing offensive? Now if they made her were shorts cut up the side and a top cut donw to her belly she would have ahd a case.

Offensive is in most cases not illegal, though it can be!

i do live in nyc.

but the laws are federal as well. there are both state and federal claims.

Dr. Who
06-22-2013, 08:08 AM

If Mrs dean was offensive to her employee's they had every right to leave her employment, If studenst or as I suspect athiesst Teacher are offended by a Student bowing thier head, and saying a silent prayer. TUff Shit!Under US labor law (EEOC):

Race/Color Discrimination & HarassmentIt is unlawful to harass a person because of that person’s race or color.
Harassment can include, for example, racial slurs, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person's race or color, or the display of racially-offensive symbols. Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).
The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 08:20 AM
And the biggest thing is that it is slective ^^^^^ it something that is being done to you or your group that is different than others.

if I inflict very harsh rules on say punching a time clock even when you go to the rest room? and I do it acroos the board, you might find that offensive? But if I did it only for the white people that worked for me, then it would be harassment and discrimination!

The entire staff may be offened by the new policy but it is not illegal. You do not have the right to not be offended in this country!

jillian
06-22-2013, 08:21 AM
And the biggest thing is that it is slective ^^^^^ it something that is being done to you or your group that is different than others.

if I inflict very harsh rules on say punching a time clock even when you go to the rest room? and I do it acroos the board, you might find that offensive? But if I did it only for the white people that worked for me, then it would be harassment and discrimination!

The entire staff may be offened by the new policy but it is not illegal. You do not have the right to not be offended in this country!

you seem to be missing the point. it is not about being "offended". it is about it being illegal for an employer to create a hostile work environment.

there is nothing selective about it.

zelmo1234
06-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Define hostile?

Dr. Who
06-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Define hostile?
Michigan Law And The Hostile Work EnvironmentThere is a concept in the employment world called hostile work environment. The concept in law is different from the one in most people's heads. Many people who have a boss that yells or creates a high stress working environment are victims of a hostile work environment in the literal sense, but that kind of environment is not necessarily illegal. To have a boss that yells or makes employees cry is not an uncommon phenomenon in the United States, and the law does not prevent it--except when the motivation is discriminatory. A hostile work environment, in the legal sense, is a workplace made hostile because of a person's gender, race, and/or disability.
Sexually hostile work environment (http://www.nachtlaw.com/Practice-Areas/Employment-Law/Sex-Discrimination-Harassment.shtml) cases are by far the most common. These cases typically involve women who are repeatedly subjugated to offensive conduct of a sexual nature. Instances of repeated touching, exposure to pornography, being asked out on dates, and the like will usually constitute a sexually hostile work environment. It is uncommon for a single incident to be considered a hostile work environment under the law, but a single case of aggressive physical assault can constitute a hostile work environment.
Racially hostile work environments typically must be rather extreme for the courts to provide relief. In the case of African-Americans, we're talking about the repeated use of the N-word or conduct involving references to slavery. In the case of Arab-Americans, we're talking about the repeated use of derogatory terms referring to national origin. The key here is that the conduct should be considered pervasive, and that the victim is being reasonable when he or she takes offense.
Under Michigan law, if the offender is a coworker or a boss, the employee must notify the company through a sexual harassment hotline, make a complaint through a human resources department, or contact the owner to give the company a chance to resolve the problem. Often, just mentioning it to a co-worker of even a supervisor is not considered sufficient notice for the company to be held responsible for fixing the situation. Our firm advises clients how to make a complaint in a way that protects their rights and stops the conduct, while carefully considering the impact on their careers.
Cases of a non-sexual, gender-based hostile work environment (http://www.nachtlaw.com/Practice-Areas/Employment-Law/Sexual-Orientation-Discrimination.shtml) or disability-based hostile work environment are very rare in the courts, but they occur more often than is commonly recognized. A boss who picks on a person with a disability in a pervasive manner or who regularly demeans women but not men might be vulnerable to a law suit. Our law firm (http://www.nachtlaw.com/) provides guidance in handling such situations.
Moreover, while the doctrine of bullying has recently taken on prominence regarding kids in school and on the internet, the law still doesn't protect people from bullying in the workplace as a general rule. Truly extreme behavior fits within another category, "intentional infliction of emotional distress," but the courts are very careful in limiting the cases being brought under that doctrine to extreme situations.http://www.nachtlaw.com/Articles/Michigan-Law-And-The-Hostile-Work-Environment.shtml

junie
06-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Lisa T. Jackson's lawsuit alleges that Deen and Bubba Hier committed numerous acts of violence, discrimination and racism that resulted in the end of her five-year employment...

Deen's lawyer called the allegations false.

The language in question was revealed recently as part of a deposition of Deen by Jackson's lawyers in May.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120925120531-paula-deen-story-top.jpg
2012: Deen profanity-laden blooper reel
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/showbiz/paula-deen-racial-slur

"Contrary to media reports, Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable," her lawyer, Bill Franklin said. "She is looking forward to her day in court."

Peter1469
06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Define hostile?

Doesn't your state require business owners to post various employee notices that contain employee rights information?

Adelaide
06-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Looks like the Food Network dropped her over it.

Sytha
06-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Under US labor law (EEOC):

Race/Color Discrimination & Harassment

It is unlawful to harass a person because of that person’s race or color.
Harassment can include, for example, racial slurs, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person's race or color, or the display of racially-offensive symbols. Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).
The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

so tell me... how is a white woman harassed or discriminated by the n word?

Dr. Who
06-22-2013, 04:55 PM
so tell me... how is a white woman harassed or discriminated by the n word?The complaint as alleged she was subjected to “violent, sexist, and racist behavior” during five years working for Deen’s various businesses. So I don't know whether the allegations with regard to racism will be seen to apply to her, as she indicated that she was personally offended because she has bi-racial nieces, but she also claims that there was sexist behavior to which she was personally subjected, so she could theoretically prove her case in that respect alone.

Polt
06-22-2013, 05:06 PM
The complaint as alleged she was subjected to “violent, sexist, and racist behavior”

When are people going to learn to stop giving jobs to anyone who isn't a white male? White males have no recourse to complain about "violent, sexist, and racist behavior." Plus, as any Liberal is going to blame white males for the screwups of blacks and females (e.g. see the topic of the police who stopped at 7-11 on the way to a murder), might as well have white males employed in the first place.

Sytha
06-22-2013, 06:22 PM
The complaint as alleged she was subjected to “violent, sexist, and racist behavior” during five years working for Deen’s various businesses. So I don't know whether the allegations with regard to racism will be seen to apply to her, as she indicated that she was personally offended because she has bi-racial nieces, but she also claims that there was sexist behavior to which she was personally subjected, so she could theoretically prove her case in that respect alone.

sexist behavior has nothing to do with Paula dean other then that she owns the company.

doing the trash job, i am so offended by the n word, on paula dean is about money and how large a pay out she can get. Its bullshit.

Ravi
06-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I actually pity Deen after reading some of her comments today. She really sounds about as harmless as any other self involved ditz....

Cigar
06-24-2013, 07:26 AM
No worse than anyone else who uses the N word.... including many black children in urban neighborhoods.

Why is it okay for them to say it and not Paula Deen?

Well let me think ... maybe it's because many black children in urban neighborhoods don't have Food Network Corporate Contracts? :rollseyes:

... and a wise man once said ... "Unless it's your name on the Door ... you ain't in-charge of the business". :thumbsup:

Micketto
06-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Well let me think ... maybe it's because many black children in urban neighborhoods don't have Food Network Corporate Contracts?

Or Food Network...
Or Cable television...
Or a television...

No wonder they're allowed to use names no one else is. ; )

Micketto
06-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Paula Deen's Contract Is Toast After Quick-Fire Criticism (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/21/194334716/after-quick-fire-criticism-paula-deens-contract-is-toast)

The Food Network will not renew the celebrity chef's contract at the end of the month, following backlash from a deposition for a discrimination lawsuit in which Deen admitted to using the N-word.

So now all she's left with is all the other TV appearances she makes monthly... the cookware she has branded... the multi-million selling cookbooks...
oh... and the $60 million she is apparently sitting on.

Cigar
06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
So now all she's left with is all the other TV appearances she makes monthly... the cookware she has branded... the multi-million selling cookbooks...
oh... and the $60 million she is apparently sitting on.

Ok so she's has nothing to worry about ... great for her, so what's the problem?

Did you not make your reservations for her restaurant in Georgia. :grin:

Cigar
06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Or Food Network...
Or Cable television...
Or a television...

No wonder they're allowed to use names no one else is. ; )

:moron: Children

Micketto
06-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Racial slurs are inappropriate for anybody to use in my opinion regardless of race. They are slurs for a reason.

Slurs are slurs because in time, a group of people started defining them as such.

Rarely have they started out as "slurs".

Micketto
06-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Yeah... I think he was making that up, too.

Cigar
06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Well I guess I can out to everyone this way ...

"say whatever you want, whenever you want to, and let the chips fall where they may".

If you think you can walk into work and say whatever you want to say to anyone .. then I say go for it?

Because if you don't work yourself ... then you're not the Boss ... period ... without question.

Micketto
06-24-2013, 08:04 AM

I think those, within their race, that call each other what you are all calling "the N word"... are doing it in the same way your friends use JAP.

I myself have no problem with them doing so.... it's between them.

And I'm not one of those people that says "since they use the word, we all should be able to".
That's just lowering yourself to their level.
It's not a word I use in the general public, because it's just wrong.. and hurtful.
Nor do I use it in jokes, btw.

But...
Me and my buddies use it occasionally... between us.
Along with other, um.. "slurs", depending on the situation.
I don't care if others say it's wrong... it's not going to stop us.
And never, has anyone outside of our clique heard it.

We don't hang with people that would be offended by it.... (luckily for them).
Not because we have anything against them... but because they just don't live anywhere around here.
Totally different cultures.

I'm not calling you hypocritical... not even close...
but it sounded like you said it's OK for your friends to call you a JAP... but not for a black kid to call his buddy a "nigger". Assuming that's one of the "few slurs" you have issue with.

Cigar
06-24-2013, 08:10 AM
I look at the Paula Dean story this way ... I don't personally fault her ... she grew up in the south and that's how she thinks. So much for the claim that those thoughts are just a thing of the past, because each and every other month, we "see with our own eyes" and "hear with our own ears" the truth.

As for her being let go ... anyone who has a JOB and WORKS for an EMPLOYER, knows that they can't do ANYTHING that hurts the Company they work for ... period .. end of story. Why is there a debate about the obvious; if you piss-off your bosses customers, how long would YOU expect to be employed, it's common sense.

Frogger
06-24-2013, 08:17 AM
When asked if she had ever used a racial slur Paula Deen answered truthfully that yes, she had, many years ago but no longer did so. For that crime against the sensibilities of the politically correct the Food Network has decided to not renew her contract when it expires at the end of next month.

As a private entitity the Food Network has the right to renew or not renew her contract as it sees fit but is there no statute of limitations on offending the politically correct. Is a social faux pas, not a crime but a faux pas committed years ago something that should cause her to lose her job today? Is the act of offending someone in a politically protected group so heinous that even many years after the offense was committed the person must be punished?

Micketto
06-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Ok so she's has nothing to worry about ... great for her, so what's the problem?I never said there was a problem.
She shouldn't have a worry in the world... other than heart disease.

My only problem is now she's seen as a sniveling crybaby for her silly, overacted apology.
She should have just wrote off Food Network, and held onto her dignity.

Did you not make your reservations for her restaurant in Georgia.

What possible reason would I ever have to go to Georgia ?

junie
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
lol i am gonna laugh my ass off when she ends up with a new show on the Oprah Winfrey Network! OWN

junie
06-24-2013, 10:14 AM
it could happen!

Ransom
06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Amazing what offends us these days. Sticks and stones was the measure at one time, people could handle name calling realizing it said more about the person calling names. today, we're a bunch of f'n garden variety tulips, who gives a shit. Bigger fish to fry, this topic is a Cigar topic. Irrelevant and childish.

Cigar
06-24-2013, 12:35 PM
it is...

there's a distinction.

Once again ... a concept some people here fail to understand ... EMPLOYEE / EMPLOYER

Paula Dean in an Employee and her Employer didn't like her image affecting The Networks bottom-line ... period ... end of story ... like it or not ... or BUY your OWN Television Network and run it anyway YOU want.

Cigar
06-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I never said there was a problem.
She shouldn't have a worry in the world... other than heart disease.

My only problem is now she's seen as a sniveling crybaby for her silly, overacted apology.
She should have just wrote off Food Network, and held onto her dignity.[I]

What possible reason would I ever have to go to Georgia ?

Write her a letter ...

Micketto
06-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Write her a letter ...

At the risk of pointing out what a clueless idiot you are.... why ?

KC
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
At the risk of pointing out what a clueless idiot you are.... why ?

Please stop with the personal attacks.

Ransom
06-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Once again ... a concept some people here fail to understand ... EMPLOYEE / EMPLOYER

Paula Dean in an Employee and her Employer didn't like her image affecting The Networks bottom-line ... period ... end of story ... like it or not ... or BUY your OWN Television Network and run it anyway YOU want.

Who gave her this "image?" I don't even know who this woman is, on the Food Network a strong hint as to her job title. But, why does this slur define her image, who is in charge of such definitions?

The Chip on their shoulder, cup half empty, I've got nothing else to do but whine about irrelevant bullsh!t Constituents. What a joke.

darroll
06-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Nobody got upset when we called someone a wop or gook.
Are they just looking for trouble?