PDA

View Full Version : Pray away the gay group throws in the towel and apologizes to gays and lesbians

Ravi
06-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents. I am sorry that there were times I didn’t stand up to people publicly “on my side” who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry that I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine.

http://exodusinternational.org/2013/06/i-am-sorry/

junie
06-20-2013, 08:50 AM
i remember when i was very young my mother use to let the neighborhood bible thumpers in for a cup of coffee and a chat... we were catholic but these were the kind of "christians" who knocked door to door and gave out colorful little pamphlets... i never understood why she even let those creeps step foot into our house, but she did. i'll never forget reading one of those pamphlets after they left one time, and in the teensy print with pictures and quoted bible verses along with interpretive commentary that was supposed to be inspirational...i read something that upset me. i was so young, i had no clue what it meant to be sexual never mind homosexual, but i asked my mom why are they telling people that they would be better off dead??? she said that is not what they are telling people, what do you mean? i showed her what it said in the fine print on the back of the pamphlet and exclaimed, that is NOT what jesus said about how to treat people and those people are total frauds!!! lol i think i was about 9 years old...

i guess "pray away the gay" was a step-up from that "better off dead" lesson, but i'm glad people are finally coming to their senses!

Cigar
06-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Their Tent is too empty :grin:

http://carfifun.com/csw/images/csw1-l.jpg

jillian
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM

good. now maybe bachmann's husband can stop stealing medicare money for his scam.

Ravi
06-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Oh, Jillian, I'm so sorry. I accidentally reported your post when I meant to rep it.

Chloe
06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
In my opinion you can't pray away being gay. You can hide it by convincing yourself that you are something that you are not gay, but you can't make it go away, and you'd be living a lie.

Cigar
06-20-2013, 09:16 AM
good. now maybe bachmann's husband can stop stealing medicare money for his scam.

... and come out his little box himself.

http://static.globalgrind.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_images/images/2011_july/marcus-bachmann_0.jpg

junie
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
another thing i never understood is the way we address the issue as "gays and lesbians"...

i always wondered why do we always have to stipulate AND LESBIANS...??? :dontknow:

Ravi
06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
another thing i never understood is the way we address the issue as "gays and lesbians"...

i always wondered why do we always have to stipulate AND LESBIANS...??? :dontknow:
Damn, I thought that was the proper thing to say. I thought only the guys liked to be called gay.

jillian
06-20-2013, 09:57 AM
... and come out his little box himself.

http://static.globalgrind.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_images/images/2011_july/marcus-bachmann_0.jpg

that, too. lol

jillian
06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
In my opinion you can't pray away being gay. You can hide it by convincing yourself that you are something that you are not gay, but you can't make it go away, and you'd be living a lie.

Obviously true.

But gay bashers want them to stay closeted so they feel better about their world and can discriminate against them.

Mister D
06-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Obviously true.

But gay bashers want them to stay closeted so they feel better about their world and can discriminate against them.

If they stay closeted how can "gay bashers" discriminate against them (whatever that means)? Your silly hyperbole needs some work. It will always be silly but at least it will make more sense.

Cigar
06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
If they stay closeted how can "gay bashers" discriminate against them (whatever that means)? Your silly hyperbole needs some work. It will always be silly but at least it will make more sense.

.... and there you have it Ladies and Gentlemen ... in their own words.

If they just pretend they're straight, there's no problem.

... yep ... this is exactly how they think and this is exactly why they're no loner in office.

Brilliant I say.

Polt
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
I've always considered Exodus International to be a sham (like Westboro Baptist Church). A few years ago I saw a news story about EI where those running it basically argued that men are homos because they didn't get enough love for their dads. So, the therapy at EI consisted of lots of man-on-man hugging. And, that was couched in homo "Christian" rhetoric about Jesus loving them and they need to give their hearts to Jesus.

There's no scientific reason why a homo can't stop being a homo.

Mister D
06-20-2013, 10:27 AM
As per Wiki, Exodus has 9 members. All queer. :grin:

junie
06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Damn, I thought that was the proper thing to say. I thought only the guys liked to be called gay.

lol i didn't mean you, dear! most people just repeat what they hear and the media always says "gays and lesbians".

just always struck me as odd, but i think you are probably correct to blame the gays! :laugh:

nic34
06-20-2013, 10:39 AM

There's your back to the 19th century 21st century science coming out the thin air for ya..... complete with no source or attribution.

Chris
06-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Curious, it there a scientific reason why one could?

nic34
06-20-2013, 10:53 AM
More "belief" and no facts coming from the ignorance is bliss right....

Chris
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
More "belief" and no facts coming from the ignorance is bliss right....

As opposed to ignorance is bliss belief in the State?

Cigar
06-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Curious, it there a scientific reason why one could?

Wait ... Science ... now Science is Fact. :)

Polt
06-20-2013, 11:36 AM
There's your back to the 19th century 21st century science coming out the thin air for ya..... complete with no source or attribution.

Ya got HIV on the brain? Why do I need a source to assert the absence of something? If I were wrong, instead of demanding a source for nothing, you'd point to the presence of that something. What is the scientific reason homos can't change?

nic34
06-20-2013, 11:36 AM
As opposed to ignorance is bliss belief in the State?

... and some say I wander off topic....

nic34
06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Ya got HIV on the brain? Why do I need a source to assert the absence of something? If I were wrong, instead of demanding a source for nothing, you'd point to the presence of that something. What is the scientific reason homos can't change?

You brought it up, why don't you back up your assertion...

Mister D
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
... and some say I wander off topic....

It's not so much that you wander off topic, nic. It's that you post on threads without any intention of discussing it.

Polt
06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
You brought it up, why don't you back up your assertion...

My assertion is that you've got nothing and every time you post something, you back me up. Thank you.

nic34
06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
You'll get over it DEE I'm sure of it...

Now I want to hear how there is no scientific reason why a "homo" can't be changed to a "hetero".

And it does it work both ways?

nic34
06-20-2013, 11:47 AM
My assertion is that you've got nothing and every time you post something, you back me up. Thank you.

.... that's what I thought.... nothing.....

Dr. Who
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM

i always wondered why do we always have to stipulate AND LESBIANS...??? :dontknow:I quite like the native American appellation: Twin spirited.

Dr. Who
06-20-2013, 09:16 PM
If they stay closeted how can "gay bashers" discriminate against them (whatever that means)? Your silly hyperbole needs some work. It will always be silly but at least it will make more sense.I think the idea is that they don't want them to come out of the closet. It get's rather claustrophobic staying in a closet.

Mister D
06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
I think the idea is that they don't want them to come out of the closet. It get's rather claustrophobic staying in a closet.

Why then they will have no one to bash!

Dr. Who
06-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Why then they will have no one to bash!No one has to deny who they are, simply to appease the sensibilities of others. That is medieval. You might also ask those who are disfigured to place a bag over their heads, rather than distress those who might look upon them.

Agravan
06-20-2013, 09:31 PM
No one has to deny who they are, simply to appease the sensibilities of others. That is medieval. You might also ask those who are disfigured to place a bag over their heads, rather than distress those who might look upon them.
The difference being that people that are disfigured didn't choose to be disfigured and if they could change that, they would.
Sexual deviants choose their lifestyle and if there was a way to cure their deviancy they would choose not to. They like being deviants.

Mister D
06-20-2013, 09:34 PM
No one has to deny who they are, simply to appease the sensibilities of others. That is medieval. You might also ask those who are disfigured to place a bag over their heads, rather than distress those who might look upon them.

There is nothing "medieval"about it but your presentism is not the issue. Anyway, you're all over the place. Are you addressing my comments? Those of someone else?

roadmaster
06-20-2013, 09:41 PM
There is no easy button on anything,growing in relationship with Him helps us not want to sin. We are not defined by our feelings.

jillian
06-20-2013, 09:56 PM
There is no easy button on anything,growing in relationship with Him helps us not want to sin. We are not defined by our feelings.

and that's *your*business...

as long as you stay out of others' business, that's cool.

but the law is not here to pander to your personal belief system....

(which a lot of people don't share).

Dr. Who
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
There is nothing "medieval"about it but your presentism is not the issue. Anyway, you're all over the place. Are you addressing my comments? Those of someone else?To suggest that homophiles should remain closeted, so as to not offend anyone and attract gay bashers is the same as suggesting that those whose appearance is offensive to others, should conceal their appearance so as not attract the mean spirited who might harass or injure them for their appearance.

roadmaster
06-20-2013, 10:16 PM

It becomes mine if they don't keep it to themselves instead of trying to tell our children it's normal.

Polt
06-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Sexual deviants choose their lifestyle and if there was a way to cure their deviancy they would choose not to. They like being deviants.

Yep. If they didn't like their deviancy, they wouldn't feed it and make it stronger.

Mister D
06-21-2013, 09:23 AM
To suggest that homophiles should remain closeted, so as to not offend anyone and attract gay bashers is the same as suggesting that those whose appearance is offensive to others, should conceal their appearance so as not attract the mean spirited who might harass or injure them for their appearance.

Are you addressing my comments? Those of someone else? I really don't understand what you're responding to.

Chris
06-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Yes, roadmaster, you really need to stop oppressing people like jillian with your views and beliefs. Can't you see she just can't bear it? :rollseyes:

Agravan
06-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes, roadmaster, you really need to stop oppressing people like jillian with your views and beliefs. Can't you see she just can't bear it? :rollseyes:
No kidding. We're talking about a person who can't even type out the word "God" without fear of oppressing someone. Instead she uses G-d. Yeah, that's much less offensive to her fellow travelers.

junie
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
No kidding. We're talking about a person who can't even type out the word "God" without fear of oppressing someone. Instead she uses G-d. Yeah, that's much less offensive to her fellow travelers.

it's an expression of her religious belief, dimwit...

Learn about several of the more important names of G-d in Jewish tradition

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Chris
06-21-2013, 01:44 PM
it's an expression of her religious belief, dimwit...

Why the incessant name calling? It would have been much more effective to simply say she's Jewish and spells G-d that way.

"Jews do not casually write any Name of God....Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."" @
The Name of G-d (http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm)

Name calling only weakens and distracts from the point.

nic34
06-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Why the incessant name calling?

Name calling only weakens and distracts from the point.

Really? Tell it to yer bud coonzie....

Chris
06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Really? Tell it to yer bud coonzie....

Why, you already did.

junie
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
gee i wonder if mick will chime in to claim mom is just another angry lesbo looking for her 15 minutes. lol

Mormon Mom Who Fought for Prop 8, Now Fights for Gay Son

Wendy and Tom Montgomery are devout Mormons from California who pounded on doors in 2008 to support the passage of Proposition 8 (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/best-moments-arguments-proposition-case-supreme-court/story?id=18817866#.UcOn4G_VCO4), the state referendum that overturned the ruling that allowed same-sex couples to marry in California, and is now before the U.S. Supreme Court.

They did so not knowing that their now 14-year-old son, Jordan, was gay and would later contemplate suicide because of the church's steadfast belief that homosexuality is a sin that would cut him off from his family not only here on earth but in the afterlife.

"One of core tenets we believe in as Mormons is that the family is eternal in nature," Wendy Montgomery, 37, told ABCNews.com. "Our family units are really strong."
Raised in a conservative community in California, the mother of six children said she often heard things like "gay people are disgusting and immoral" and "AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality."

Christian gay cure group shuts down.

(http://abcnews.go.com/US/exodus-international-gay-cure-group-leader-shutting-ministry/story?id=19446752#.UcOpe2_VCO4)

"To be honest, before my son came out, I didn't know any other families who had gay kids," she said. "It's one of the things that's not talked about in my church, which makes it so much harder to deal with and know who to go to for help."

The Montgomery family's struggle to reconcile its faith with full acceptance of their son's sexual identity is at the heart of the video "Families Are Forever," which premieres at Frameline 37 (http://ticketing.frameline.org/festival/index.aspx): the San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival (http://www.psr.edu/public-events/lgbt-mormons-families-film-screening) this weekend.

The 20-minute piece is produced by the Family Acceptance Project (http://familyproject.sfsu.edu/) at San Francisco State University, and is part of a planned series of short documentaries that depict the journey of ethnically and religiously diverse families to support their lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender children.

http://gma.yahoo.com/mormon-mom-fought-prop-8-now-fights-gay-043343153--abc-news-health.html

Polt
06-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Homosxuality is bad for society, even without regard for the inherent immorality of it. How do you have modest public restrooms or high school showers with homosexuals? How do you have safe Boy Scout camp with homosexuals? How do you have an effective homosexual recovery group of homosexuals?

Think of a heterosexual man trying to avoid sexual addiction by meeting with a bunch of heterosexual women with sexual addictions. How could that possibly help the man, rather than tempt him?

There's no scientific reason why people can't recover from homosexuality through therapy (anyone who disagrees will be considered a liberal d!ps**t if they don't provide a scientific reason), but EI never had a chance to be effective, for this reason and other reasons.

Chris
06-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Homosxuality is bad for society, even without regard for the inherent immorality of it. How do you have modest public restrooms or high school showers with homosexuals? How do you have safe Boy Scout camp with homosexuals? How do you have an effective homosexual recovery group of homosexuals?

Think of a heterosexual man trying to avoid sexual addiction by meeting with a bunch of heterosexual women with sexual addictions. How could that possibly help the man, rather than tempt him?

There's no scientific reason why people can't recover from homosexuality through therapy (anyone who disagrees will be considered a liberal d!ps**t if they don't provide a scientific reason), but EI never had a chance to be effective, for this reason and other reasons.

Homosxuality is bad for society, even without regard for the inherent immorality of it.

How so--I mean besides your personal beliefs?

There's no scientific reason why people can't recover from homosexuality through therapy (anyone who disagrees will be considered a liberal d!ps**t if they don't provide a scientific reason),

Ignoring the weak well poisoning, what scientific basis do you have to make your claim?

junie
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM

ooh i see what you did there...uh how 'bout if anyone considers you a dipshit for even posing the angle of scientific reason...? :laugh:

nic34
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
ooh i see what you did there...uh how 'bout if anyone considers you a dipshit for even posing the angle of scientific reason...? :laugh:

He has no answer. He posts by the seat of his.... uh.... pants....

Polt
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Chris and Junie, good news, I haven't changed what I think of you two. But, the bad news is that I didn't need to.

junie
06-21-2013, 02:41 PM
He has no answer. He posts by the seat of his.... uh.... pants....

hey we could always hold hands and try to pray away the dolt... :dontknow:

Polt
06-21-2013, 02:48 PM
hey we could always hold hands and try to pray away the dolt... :dontknow:

If it didn't work for the head of IE to pray the "gay away", what makes you think you can change by praying the dolt away?

Chris
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Ignoring the weak well poisoning, what scientific basis do you have to make your claim?

Chris and Junie, good news, I haven't changed what I think of you two. But, the bad news is that I didn't need to.

Still waiting for that scientific explanation, polt....

roadmaster
06-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't have any scientific explanation. Praying away a sin duesn't work for until you have faith and give yourself to Him. You can pray all day but the feeling will remain until you follow the Master and give him your life. Then it may be still there but He is with you in your battles.

Chris
06-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't have any scientific explanation. Praying away a sin duesn't work for until you have faith and give yourself to Him. You can pray all day but the feeling will remain until you follow the Master and give him your life. Then it may be still there but He is with you in your battles.

Ok, but that requires belief it is a sin, which not even all Christians believe.

roadmaster
06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Ok, but that requires belief it is a sin, which not even all Christians believe. Any one who follows Jesus does.

Ravi
06-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Any one who follows Jesus does.well, no. Jesus wasn't concerned about gays or else he would have mentioned them.

Chris
06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Any one who follows Jesus does.

Following Jesus is a matter of belief and those beliefs vary person to person. How is it decided which particular personal set of beliefs is true? Other than you go with your beliefs and others theirs.

Polt
06-23-2013, 08:54 AM

...said the hypocrite.

Kabuki Joe
06-23-2013, 09:34 AM

...I had an interesting talk with a Hispanic individual about a year ago...we all know that Hispanics are, for the most part, born catholic...it's like being Jewish...so I was talking about his political alignment when he said he was a Republican... :huh: ...I said but you are Hispanic and by all sources you support the Democrat Party...he said I'm a Catholic first and I do not support the Democrat agenda...I was intrigued to say the least...I said but every Hispanic I talk with chooses the Democrat Party over faith...and he told me something that really impacted me:

"...there are those that go to church because of tradition and those that go because it's in their heart..."

... :huh: ...he explained if you go because your parents went, and their parents went and their parents before them went but you don't dedicate your life to the way of the bible, it's for tradition...but if you go and live your life by the bible and it's in your heart, not just a tradition, then you reject everything the Democrat Party stands for...I was floored...every now and then a simple man makes the world much more complex...

roadmaster
06-23-2013, 09:37 AM
"...there are those that go to church because of tradition The truth

Polt
06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
every Hispanic I talk with chooses the Democrat Party over faith.

Blacks and hispanics choose parasitism over faith. They vote for handouts and racial preferences.

Chris
06-23-2013, 11:41 AM

...said the hypocrite.

So your scientific evidence amounts to name calling?

spunkloaf
06-23-2013, 11:49 AM
In response to the apology...All is forgiven. Everybody learns of their own arrogance once in awhile, but the important thing is recognizing it and make the right change. Thank you.

Mister D
06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
In response to the apology...All is forgiven. Everybody learns of their own arrogance once in awhile, but the important thing is recognizing it and make the right change. Thank you.

All 9 of them are very grateful. :grin:

Ravi
06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
...I had an interesting talk with a Hispanic individual about a year ago...we all know that Hispanics are, for the most part, born catholic...it's like being Jewish...so I was talking about his political alignment when he said he was a Republican... :huh: ...I said but you are Hispanic and by all sources you support the Democrat Party...he said I'm a Catholic first and I do not support the Democrat agenda...I was intrigued to say the least...I said but every Hispanic I talk with chooses the Democrat Party over faith...and he told me something that really impacted me:

"...there are those that go to church because of tradition and those that go because it's in their heart..."

... :huh: ...he explained if you go because your parents went, and their parents went and their parents before them went but you don't dedicate your life to the way of the bible, it's for tradition...but if you go and live your life by the bible and it's in your heart, not just a tradition, then you reject everything the Democrat Party stands for...I was floored...every now and then a simple man makes the world much more complex...
Cool story. Catholics don't support the death penalty so the poor guy must really be conflicted.

Mister D
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Cool story. Catholics don't support the death penalty so the poor guy must really be conflicted.

:huh:

Kabuki Joe
06-23-2013, 04:53 PM

...I never heard of a catholic that was anti death penalty but they are being forced to accept contraceptives and abortion...

spunkloaf
06-23-2013, 10:55 PM
All 9 of them are very grateful. :grin:

I see the humor. It is significant because something occurred to these people with such an impact that it changed their convictions. For that to happen with one person alone is tough. I wonder what had that impact on them.

Ravi
06-24-2013, 05:49 AM
...I never heard of a catholic that was anti death penalty but they are being forced to accept contraceptives and abortion...

Really? Who is forcing them to use contraceptives or abort?

Mister D
06-24-2013, 08:20 AM
I see the humor. It is significant because something occurred to these people with such an impact that it changed their convictions. For that to happen with one person alone is tough. I wonder what had that impact on them.

Sobriety?