PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Reveals Plans for Moving Women Into Combat Roles

IMPress Polly
06-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Full integration will be required by January 1, 2016 and, just as I'd hoped, men and women will be held to the same standards for entry. (http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-unveils-plans-moving-women-combat-roles-000819491.html) As those who have followed my posts for some time know, I'm a supporter of this move for numerous reasons, not least of which being basic fairness, but also because, as the article points out, "The top U.S. general has said exclusion of women from front-line combat may be part of the problem, consigning them to second-class status in a warrior culture." Military self-policing needs to be done away with to truly tackle that issue (self-policing is a myth; it doesn't happen), but I do feel that the policies of exclusion contribute as well. But there may be even more to this than meets the eye. You'll want to check out the second half of this article under the heading "Brains Over Brawn", which points to the changing skill sets that are needed by the military. More specifically, it points to a gradual shift away from the need for physical prowess and toward more need for intellectual skills.

zelmo1234
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM
I guess that I see no issues with women in front line combat roles as long as they can preform all aspects that keep the unit safe.

This may take some physicla training but if that is what they want? why would they be denied the chance to persue thier dreams?

TheInternet
06-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Translation: they've reduced the physical requirements for entry. Instead of basing it on what will allow people to do their jobs, they've set them in the interest of fairness.

What a joke. This is the worst idea out of DC in a long time.

Agravan
06-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey, at least this will create more jobs in the body bag industry. Another Obama "win".

TheInternet
06-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Hey, at least this will create more jobs in the body bag industry. Another Obama "win".

Caskets too.

TheInternet
06-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Wait, this applies to spec ops top!?!? Hahaha!!!!

Mister D
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
I guess that I see no issues with women in front line combat roles as long as they can preform all aspects that keep the unit safe.

This may take some physicla training but if that is what they want? why would they be denied the chance to persue thier dreams?

I think it's uncivilized.

Peter1469
06-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Full integration will be required by January 1, 2016 and, just as I'd hoped, men and women will be held to the same standards for entry. (http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-unveils-plans-moving-women-combat-roles-000819491.html) As those who have followed my posts for some time know, I'm a supporter of this move for numerous reasons, not least of which being basic fairness, but also because, as the article points out, "The top U.S. general has said exclusion of women from front-line combat may be part of the problem, consigning them to second-class status in a warrior culture." Military self-policing needs to be done away with to truly tackle that issue (self-policing is a myth; it doesn't happen), but I do feel that the policies of exclusion contribute as well. But there may be even more to this than meets the eye. You'll want to check out the second half of this article under the heading "Brains Over Brawn", which points to the changing skill sets that are needed by the military. More specifically, it points to a gradual shift away from the need for physical prowess and toward more need for intellectual skills.

I understand the Brains over Brawn comment, but in light infantry and SoF units, the stuff you have to carry with you isn't going to get lighter. Mech infantry should be OK (your gear is mostly in the vehicle. Armor- mostly automated to load the big gun, so no big deal. Artillery too.

I have also seen in another article that there will have to be enough women to pass these school before they fully integrate.

Polt
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Feminism: "We'll do half as much (such as carrying half the gear) and complain that we have to do twice as much."

Does anyone have any idea what percent of women in Desert Storm pleaded hardship (e.g. pregnancy) to get out of the war?

TheInternet
06-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have a legitimate argument as to why this is a good idea?

I'll tell you why its not. Women are physically smaller and weaker than men. I just checked out requirements for SEALS, and Green Beret's. The shit doesn't look easy. Marching for miles with nearly 100 lbs on your back is tough on most in shape men. It would literally break a woman's body down quickly, if she could do it at all.

If I was deployed, I don't want watered down requirements letting a bunch of people in that shouldn't be there. If I get my leg blown off, I don't want a 5'2, 95lb female that can't lift 25lbs over her head trying to drag me out. I want the baddest SOBs possible.

My best friend got out of the USMC last year. Did 8 years as a grunt. I ran this idea past him, and he basically laughed.

Peter1469
06-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have a legitimate argument as to why this is a good idea?

I'll tell you why its not. Women are physically smaller and weaker than men. I just checked out requirements for SEALS, and Green Beret's. The shit doesn't look easy. Marching for miles with nearly 100 lbs on your back is tough on most in shape men. It would literally break a woman's body down quickly, if she could do it at all.

If I was deployed, I don't want watered down requirements letting a bunch of people in that shouldn't be there. If I get my leg blown off, I don't want a 5'2, 95lb female that can't lift 25lbs over her head trying to drag me out. I want the baddest SOBs possible.

My best friend got out of the USMC last year. Did 8 years as a grunt. I ran this idea past him, and he basically laughed.

I think that part of the debate was skipped over.

After basic, advanced infantry, and airborne schools my first assignment was with the 101st ABN - as soon as I got there I was in the field for 2 weeks in February. I was carrying about 130lbs. Halfway through someone broke down and I got an extra 20lbs of his crap.

At that time I had just turned 18 and I only weighed 135lbs. My team leader ended up tying a rope around my waste and he pulled me along. The only thing that I could think about for the next week was putting one foot in front of the other. A helicopter almost landed on me and someone had to pull me out of the way. All that I remember is my Lt shouting for someone to get the stupid f-ing private out of the way. But I carried all that shit and didn't complain.