PDA

View Full Version : Bible Discussion Redux

Mister D
06-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I thought I'd start this again. It's been a while. I'm particularly interested in discussing the Old Testament. I'll come up with a few topics soon.

Frogger
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Here's a topic for discussion regarding the Old Testament. There is a book titled,The Genesis Enigma, that brings up an interesting point. The book of Genesis was written at a time when scientific knowledge about evolution and science in general was unknown yet the Genesis account of the creation follows the accepted chronology of creation pretty closely. Nothing to light, to life in seas, etc. Order of plant life preceding animal life, simple animals preceding more complex animals etc.. agrees with the present day view concerning these things. It doesn't seem possible that the author of Genesis simply guessed all this.

Mister D
06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Genesis might be fun. I was thinking Leviticus but it will become another discussion homosexuality. I'll weigh in tomorrow.

Chris
06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Here's a topic for discussion regarding the Old Testament. There is a book titled,The Genesis Enigma, that brings up an interesting point. The book of Genesis was written at a time when scientific knowledge about evolution and science in general was unknown yet the Genesis account of the creation follows the accepted chronology of creation pretty closely. Nothing to light, to life in seas, etc. Order of plant life preceding animal life, simple animals preceding more complex animals etc.. agrees with the present day view concerning these things. It doesn't seem possible that the author of Genesis simply guessed all this.

Except neither Bible nor science says the universe came from nothing, it's more shaping, forming, changing. Otherwise, at a very abstract level, there are parallels. I've always looked at the creation of Eve in the second creation story in Genesis as being the sort of trial and error process you see in natural selection. Interesting.

Mister D
07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Germanicus raised an interesting question on the Talmud thread. What to make of the conquest accountsin Joshua etc.? I'd be curious to hear what other Christians and Jews think. I'll start with the observation that the account of the conquest of Canaan closely resembles other Near Eastern conquest accounts and, IMEO, probably falls within that genre. What that suggests is that it's often hyperbole.