PDA

View Full Version : John Lewis Voting Rights Act

Cigar
06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/John-Lewis-and-Nancy-Pelosi-via-Flickr-615x345.png

Former Speaker of the House Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Wednesday that Congressional Democrats are planning new legislation to render ineffective Chief Justice John Roberts’ decision on Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, the historic 1965 legislation that guaranteed equal access to the vote for all Americans, regardless of race or ethnicity. According to The Hill, Pelosi is already considering naming the prospective bill after civil rights icon and Georgia Rep. John Lewis (D).

“It’s really a step backward, and it’s not a reflection of what’s really happening in our country in some of these places,” Pelosi said of Tuesday’s decision, in which a 5-to-4 majority ruled that Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional. Section 4 established a metric for states that have discriminated racially in the past, qualifying them for Section 5, which mandates that these states receive clearance from the federal government before making changes to election law.

“I would like to see something…called the John Lewis Voting Rights Act,” she continued, saying that Congress could follow Chief Justice Roberts’ recommendation and re-write Section 4′s criteria.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/27/pelosi-mulling-john-lewis-voting-rights-act-to-overturn-supreme-court-decision/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sometimes, all you need is a Kick-in-the-balls ... to wake up a sleeping giant. :wink:

patrickt
06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
I think it's a great idea. As great as any Rep. Pelosi ever came up with. A civil rights icon, a supporter of OWS, and a man who hears inaudible slurs can sponsor an act to support voter fraud. Way to go.

Cigar
06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Wow ... that was easy. :wink:

nic34
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
case closed....

Mainecoons
06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
From the "you just can't make this shit up" department:

• In Kenya, the $53 million Yes Youth Can program empowers nearly one million Kenyan youth to use their voices for advocacy in national and local policy-making, while also creating economic opportunities. In advance of Kenya’s March 2013 general elections, Yes Youth Can’s “My ID My Life” campaign helped 500,000 youth obtain National identification cards, a prerequisite to voter registration, and carried out a successful nationwide campaign with Kenyan civic organizations to elicit peace pledges from all presidential aspirants. [emphasis added]

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wh-touts-kenyan-program-obtain-national-id-cards-voter-registration_737990.html

:rofl:

zelmo1234
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/John-Lewis-and-Nancy-Pelosi-via-Flickr-615x345.png

Former Speaker of the House Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Wednesday that Congressional Democrats are planning new legislation to render ineffective Chief Justice John Roberts’ decision on Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, the historic 1965 legislation that guaranteed equal access to the vote for all Americans, regardless of race or ethnicity. According to The Hill, Pelosi is already considering naming the prospective bill after civil rights icon and Georgia Rep. John Lewis (D).

“It’s really a step backward, and it’s not a reflection of what’s really happening in our country in some of these places,” Pelosi said of Tuesday’s decision, in which a 5-to-4 majority ruled that Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional. Section 4 established a metric for states that have discriminated racially in the past, qualifying them for Section 5, which mandates that these states receive clearance from the federal government before making changes to election law.

“I would like to see something…called the John Lewis Voting Rights Act,” she continued, saying that Congress could follow Chief Justice Roberts’ recommendation and re-write Section 4′s criteria.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/27/pelosi-mulling-john-lewis-voting-rights-act-to-overturn-supreme-court-decision/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sometimes, all you need is a Kick-in-the-balls ... to wake up a sleeping giant. :wink:

The court has spoken stop whining about it!

Cigar
06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
The court has spoken stop whining about it!

Do you see me in the picture or at any protest rallies?

No one has ever tried to stop me from Voting, nor will they ever.

I have said many times on this Forum that I hope the GOP and Republicans keep doing what they are doing.

I'm all for whatever they are doing, because it's keeping them exactly where I like them, out of the White House and onto the Internet.

zelmo1234
06-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Do you see me in the picture or at any protest rallies?

No one has ever tried to stop me from Voting, nor will they ever.

I have said many times on this Forum that I hope the GOP and Republicans keep doing what they are doing.

I'm all for whatever they are doing, because it's keeping them exactly where I like them, out of the White House and onto the Internet.

You forgot to mention in congress and the Gov's mansions! Where they can make the President a cerimonial position and act at the state level to make things better

Cigar
06-27-2013, 03:05 PM
You forgot to mention in congress and the Gov's mansions! Where they can make the President a cerimonial position and act at the state level to make things better

Go for it ... it's been working well 4-yea

zelmo1234
06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Go for it ... it's been working well 4-yeayou

You know actually in places like MI and WI it is working, once the worst in the nation in unemployment and job creation, and we are starting to recover and remember we were destroyed by democrats long before 2009, this is nothing new to us here in MI the dems had really destroyed this state!

Cigar
06-27-2013, 03:26 PM
you

You know actually in places like MI and WI it is working, once the worst in the nation in unemployment and job creation, and we are starting to recover and remember we were destroyed by democrats long before 2009, this is nothing new to us here in MI the dems had really destroyed this state!

I'm sure making Cars has nothing to do with it :laugh: