PDA

View Full Version : Palin on the GOP establishment and hispanic voters

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 12:54 PM
"You've just abandoned the Reagan Democrats with this amnesty bill," Palin's statement read. "It was the loss of working class voters in swing states that cost us the 2012 election, not the Hispanic vote. Legal immigrants respect the rule of law and can see how self-centered a politicians must be to fill this amnesty bill with favors, earmarks and crony capitalists' pork, and call it good. You disrespect Hispanics with your assumption that they desire ignoring the rule of law."

Palin to GOP establishment: 'You disrespect Hispanics' - CNN (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/28/palin-to-gop-establishment-you-disrepect-hispanics/)

I can't quote more than that due to copyright/fair use guidelines, but it's interesting. I wonder what other people think - I don't agree with her, but I was kind of surprised that she spoke out against the GOP.

Mister D
06-29-2013, 01:03 PM
She is right, IMO, as far as the election is concerned and this atrocious amnesty bill. She is also right that the GOP establishment has abandoned the party's natural constituency as well as their sanity.

Chris
06-29-2013, 01:03 PM
In a way, yes, some middle class jobs will now go to amnestied Mexicans. But it will be the poor hurt the worst. But it's good for business who will make big campaign contributions to big government.

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes, as a percentage, the ObamaCare tax (penalty my ass) will fall most heavily on the lower paying positions incentivizing employers to hire amnestied illegals preferentially, costing the most vulnerable Americans who still have jobs 5 years after this unmitigated disaster was put in the White House by a combination of Republican stupidity and ballot fraud. At the same time, this will be like waving the checkered flag for still more illegal immigration and more competition for the most vulnerable part of the work force.

Obama's gift to the working man--cutting their throat.

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Just what is it she said that you can't agree with, BTW? She is speaking the raw truth.

jillian
06-29-2013, 02:34 PM
she's never said anything true... ever. she just throws red meat to the "base".

KC
06-29-2013, 02:42 PM
I do not think the GOP has a good chance of winning Hispanic votes, amnesty or no amnesty, so I think she has a point.

Chris
06-29-2013, 02:42 PM

Do you hate her?

Agravan
06-29-2013, 03:33 PM
You libs have live in a world manufactured by lies by your party for so long that you would not recognize truth if it came up and bit you on the ass.

Do you hate her?
Of course she does, every liberal is mandated by their party to hate Palin or whomever else they decree is to be hated. Like a good little sheep, jillian does what she is told.

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Exactly what did she say in this quote that is incorrect?

Take it item by item and for once provide a credible rebuttal instead of just hack opinion.

Thanks.

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 03:49 PM
You libs have live in a world manufactured by lies by your party for so long that you would not recognize truth if it came up and bit you on the ass.

Of course she does, every liberal is mandated by their party to hate Palin or whomever else they decree is to be hated. Like a good little sheep, jillian does what she is told.

Um... I don't hate Palin and I actually respect that she's going up against the GOP, even if I don't agree with her reasons why. I don't think you should generalize about liberals.

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Again, what do you disagree with in that quote?

{quote]I don't agree with her[/quote]

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Again, what do you disagree with in that quote?

I don't agree with her

I support amnesty for illegal immigrants already in the US and many of the provisions in the bill. While there might be problems with the bill, I think it's a start and it's progress. Sarah Palin has openly spoken out against it, in this article and elsewhere, (and elsewhere, for example her Facebook page, she gave different reasoning).

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 04:45 PM
If you had, say three million illegals come into Canada would you support making them citizens even though previous amnesties caused big jumps in illegal immigration to Canada?

Why are foreigners so hot to tell the U.S., which already accepts far more immigrants than any other nation, that they should simply reward illegal immigration with legalization?

Just curious. I'd be willing to bet, though, that your fellow Canadians would answer that first question with a resounding no.

Chris
06-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Um... I don't hate Palin and I actually respect that she's going up against the GOP, even if I don't agree with her reasons why. I don't think you should generalize about liberals.

That's true, there are liberals of all stripes, from rational to emotional, same as conservatives.

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 05:31 PM
If you had, say three million illegals come into Canada would you support making them citizens even though previous amnesties caused big jumps in illegal immigration to Canada?

Why are foreigners so hot to tell the U.S., which already accepts far more immigrants than any other nation, that they should simply reward illegal immigration with legalization?

Just curious. I'd be willing to bet, though, that your fellow Canadians would answer that first question with a resounding no.

I'll get back to you shortly. Confirming numbers to prove you wrong about immigration and I have to do a lot of math (not my strong suit) in addition to inserting citations from both governments to back them up. Not avoiding answering. This will take me a while.

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 05:39 PM

You're talking to someone who will have nearly half of my fellow citizens foreign born by 2031 (http://www.ctvnews.ca/parties-prepare-to-battle-for-immigrant-votes-1.492090) according to Statistics Canada, unlike the US where it will take until 2050 (http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/02/12/us-usa-population-immigration-idUSN1110177520080212) according to the Pew Research Center. If we are 11% of the size of the United States and allowing 280,000 new immigrants (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2010/permanent/01.asp) in 2010 and the US took in 1,130,000 (http://www.prb.org/Publications/PopulationBulletins/2010/immigrationupdate1.aspx) new immigrants in 2009 (closest I could find to 2010), Canada took in 24-25% of the amount of immigrants taken in compared to the United States... and we're 11% of the size of the US.

So yes, on paper if looking at just plain numbers, the US takes in more immigrants but you need to consider existing population size in order to get an actual comparison.

Admittedly, unlike the United States, we don't have Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico. Illegal immigrants have a harder time here since we are surrounded by the US and three oceans, suspected numbers of illegal immigrants are about 250,000 in Canada compared to 12 million in the US. We are just more than 11% of the size of the US and only have 2% of the amount of illegal immigrants the US has.

But based on that? If an amnesty bill can pass in the United States it would be a minor affair comparatively here.

I'm rounding down/up on the percentages, by the way. They're all going to be just a little bit off. For example I bumped the 11% up from 10.8%, which when we are talking about millions, is actually quite the round up so advantage to the US.

Mister D
06-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Canada absorbs more immigrants per capita, I believe. We should keep two things in mind, however: migration to the US accounts for a staggering 20 percent of global immigration and the US tends to absorb grade school educated, unskilled migrants from the Third World whereas Canada gets a much better educated crop overall.

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Not sure what number you want to confirm, the 3 million was a "what if"?

If you are challenging the "most immigrants taken" suggest you look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_foreign-born_population_in_2005

Mainecoons
06-29-2013, 05:46 PM
suspected numbers of illegal immigrants are about 250,000 in Canada compared to 12 million in the US.

And that is the point you are not fully appreciating. We are talking about giving amnesty to a basically unknown group size of illegal immigrants somewhere north of 10 million. You have one fortieth as many despite having 10 percent of the population of the U.S.

Take your number of illegals and multiply it by 8 and tell us just how much enthusiasm there would be for legalizing in Canada.

I seriously doubt all that much.

Peter1469
06-29-2013, 05:47 PM
The US should have another Operation Paperclip and scoop up the super-smart, and overlook their negative traits.

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Canada absorbs more immigrants per capita, I believe. We should keep two things in mind, however: migration to the US accounts for a staggering 20 percent of global immigration and the US tends to absorb grade school educated, unskilled migrants from the Third World whereas Canada gets a much better educated crop overall.

Because we place restrictions and have set numbers of how many refugees, how many skilled workers in specific fields, etc.. Does the US have those regulations in place?

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Not sure what number you want to confirm, the 3 million was a "what if"?

If you are challenging the "most immigrants taken" suggest you look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_foreign-born_population_in_2005

I took the time to actually find the statistics on immigration and not just use a chart from 2005... but you've actually proven my point anyways.

US: % of total world immigrants: 20.56
Canada: % of total world immigrants: 3.272

That's more than 11%... it's nearly 16% of the number for the US.

US: % of population that are immigrants: 12.81
Canada: % of population that are immigrants: 18.76?

Well... that's 146%. That could totally be wrong. I think I broke my calculator.

From your source.

Peter1469
06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Because we place restrictions and have set numbers of how many refugees, how many skilled workers in specific fields, etc.. Does the US have those regulations in place?

Not very well. The deck is stacked in favor of those who never made it to the 9th grade. We bring foriegn students to the best US universities and then kick them out after graduation- insane.

Kabuki Joe
06-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Palin to GOP establishment: 'You disrespect Hispanics' - CNN (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/28/palin-to-gop-establishment-you-disrepect-hispanics/)

I can't quote more than that due to copyright/fair use guidelines, but it's interesting. I wonder what other people think - I don't agree with her, but I was kind of surprised that she spoke out against the GOP.

...I disagree...Hispanics don't like whites in general, they just like white individuals...and that's on both sides...but they are siding with the libs because the libs are stupid and giving them more power then they can acquire on their own...the republicans won't give them the tools to take over, the libs will...

Agravan
06-29-2013, 06:04 PM
The US should have another Operation Paperclip and scoop up the super-smart, and overlook their negative traits.
I just read about Operation Paperclip else I would have had no idea what you were talking about. :)

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
And that is the point you are not fully appreciating. We are talking about giving amnesty to a basically unknown group size of illegal immigrants somewhere north of 10 million. You have one fortieth as many despite having 10 percent of the population of the U.S.

Take your number of illegals and multiply it by 8 and tell us just how much enthusiasm there would be for legalizing in Canada.

I seriously doubt all that much.

They'll have to meet requirements, according to the bill, to become citizens. It's not like they're just going to slap a social security number and photo ID into 12 million hands without any regulation or consideration.

Edit: My point with the numbers is that I'm a) offended that you think I have no right to comment on this issue and b) to prove that you made a wrong assumption about rates of immigration.

Agravan
06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
OK, I should have specified American liberals.

Adelaide
06-29-2013, 06:09 PM
OK, I should have specified American liberals.

Oh. Well, I guess that's a bit better but I have personally seen people on these sorts of forums who are most definitely liberals/Democrats who have condemned many of the things said about Palin and her family. Most say she's an idiot (which isn't the same as hatred), but I have seen some defend her if only on principle.

Kabuki Joe
06-29-2013, 06:09 PM
I do not think the GOP has a good chance of winning Hispanic votes, amnesty or no amnesty, so I think she has a point.

...I think the GOP has more respect for them then the libs...the GOP says "make it on your own, it'll be tough but you can do it"...the libs say "you guys are too stupid to make it on your own so we will give you cookies"...if someone told me I was too stupid to make it on my own, I'd be extremely offended...

Chris
06-29-2013, 09:01 PM
...I think the GOP has more respect for them then the libs...the GOP says "make it on your own, it'll be tough but you can do it"...the libs say "you guys are too stupid to make it on your own so we will give you cookies"...if someone told me I was too stupid to make it on my own, I'd be extremely offended...

Agree, but the Dems are winning in the media making it look the opposite.