PDA

View Full Version : Do-Nothing Congress Somehow Manages to Do Even Less

Chris
07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Do-Nothing Congress Somehow Manages to Do Even Less (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/07/do-nothing-congress-somehow-manages-do-even-less/66739/):

The 112th Congress (2011-2013, R.I.P.) was relentlessly mocked for its amazing ability to not get things done, but the new edition is on pace to set an even greater standard for futility. The 112th, which ended its last session on January 3, passed 220 laws, the fewest of any Congress since they started keep statistics, and more than 100 fewer than the previous record low. Yet, six months into its term the 113th Congress is actually on pace to pass even fewer laws than that. Just 15 bills have become law this year, compared to 23 over the same period in 2011. (It also doesn't help that they rarely show up to work.)

:applause:

"That government is best which governs least"

~Henry David Thoreau

zelmo1234
07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
And yet still they do too much?

Cigar
07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm sure Corporate America sees this a valuable .. :rollseyes:

So you Pay People to do nothing ... Brilliant ... you should be a CEO

Chris
07-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Corporate America porbably doesn't care as our corrupt crony capitalist government is the best money can buy. Take ObamaCare, please.

zelmo1234
07-02-2013, 01:06 PM

You are right the should in fact fire all of thier staff and make them do it themselves and cut a bunch of benifits sit thiere asses in the chambers and let the fight it out

And I am the CEO

Cigar
07-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Corporate America porbably doesn't care as our corrupt crony capitalist government is the best money can buy. Take ObamaCare, please.

I wonder when is the last time Corporate America has done so good ...

Most likely not since Clinton

Cigar
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
You are right the should in fact fire all of thier staff and make them do it themselves and cut a bunch of benifits sit thiere asses in the chambers and let the fight it out

And I am the CEO

Them you should be smart enough to know you can't do it all by yourself. :rollseyes:

zelmo1234
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Them you should be smart enough to know you can't do it all by yourself. :rollseyes:

You are correct that is why I hire and pay people to do things for me. I give them a job to do and if they do it, then they get paid!

Then I hire a bunch of people that tell me how I can get through the maze of regulations that they government puts in the way!

Chris
07-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I wonder when is the last time Corporate America has done so good ...

Most likely not since Clinton

Yea, thanks to Obama.

Cigar
07-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Yea, thanks to Obama.

So it sounds like Corporate America does better under Democrats

Chris
07-02-2013, 02:23 PM
So it sounds like Corporate America does better under Democrats

Via corrupt crony capitalism, yes.

jillian
07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
people who hate government shouldn't run government.

it's like someone who hates antiquities being the curator of a museum.

wackos.

Chris
07-02-2013, 02:29 PM

wackos.

Seeing hate when you disagree is....

Like Henry David Thoreau, some of us love limited government for a reason.

TheInternet
07-02-2013, 02:29 PM

wackos.

Those are the exact people who should run gov. They'll want to limit. It's people who love gov power we should be worried at running gov.

jillian
07-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Those are the exact people who should run gov. They'll want to limit. It's people who love gov power we should be worried at running gov.

no. they have an obligation to govern.

if the rightwingnut hacks hate government, they should go back home and stop stealing their paycheck.

And for the record, the founders had a massive respect for government and what it could do.... that is why the preamble to the constitution sets forth that the government should act for the general welfare.

it's so funny how the far right always forgets that.

patrickt
07-02-2013, 02:55 PM

wackos.

Sorry, Jillian. It's more like hiring someone who loves antiques to sell antiques. "Oh, no, I couldn't possibly sell that one."

Liberals absolutely love government and are delighted to let them run their lives, totally. Other than the military, nothing in the government needs to be smaller, according to liberals, and actually the cuts to the military under liberals will now be absorbed into Homeland Security and the IRS where they're focus on Americans.

TheInternet
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM

if the rightwingnut hacks hate government, they should go back home and stop stealing their paycheck.

And for the record, the founders had a massive respect for government and what it could do.... that is why the preamble to the constitution sets forth that the government should act for the general welfare.

Kim Jong UN and Adolfo Hitler loved themselves some gubbmit.

The founders wanted to restrict government. Those who "love" gov always want to increase its power. That increase in power comes from a loss of freedom by someone. Its a zero sum game.

Chris
07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Liberty = 1 - Power

Think I first heard Walter Williams express it like that.

patrickt
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell are both very unpopular on the left. They're bright, articulate, and black. That's three strikes for a liberal.

TheInternet
07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Liberty = 1 - Power

Think I first heard Walter Williams express it like that.

Never seen it put like that. Thanks.

zelmo1234
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM

NO waht is really funny, is how the looney left fabricates. The preaamble says that it should "promote" not provide the general welfare!

What the founding fathers die was have a very health respect for govenment and what it could turn into, and thus the tried to limit it's powers

Chris
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell are both very unpopular on the left. They're bright, articulate, and black. That's three strikes for a liberal.

Justice Clarence Thomas too:

next you'll be telling us that clarence thomas should be on the bench. lol

@ http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/14196-Sarah-Palin-Open-to-Creating-New-Freedom-Party?p=317753&viewfull=1#post317753

Chris
07-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Right, within enumerated powers and protected rights.

if the rightwingnut hacks hate government

No, we disagree with big government and agree with a limited constitutional republic.

And for the record, the founders had a massive respect for government and what it could do

Which is why they wrote a social contract called the Constitution, a limited set of enumerated powers and protected rights.

that is why the preamble to the constitution sets forth that the government should act for the general welfare.

Therefore you must be if you don't contradict yourself against anything government does in the way of taking from some and giving others special favors such as corporate and social welfare. Right?

Did you forget those facts about our government, or do you just hate them?

Mainecoons
07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Governing includes recognizing and getting rid of mistakes, Jillian. The mistake was to create an out of control, grossly bloated government that screws up everything it touches. The governing is to take a scalpel to it and cut it down to size.

Your definition of governing is just to continue to add onto the failure forever. That's not governing, that copping out.

What America needs now is a Calvin Coolidge in the White House and a Congress of like minds.

Common
07-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Smaller govt is not a bad thing, the problem is in defining how to make it smaller and the far right want to make it smaller by destroying everything for the middleclass on down and protecting everything for the top few.
The far right wont even recognize that the rich and corporatists have destroyed the american dream for a few extra bucks.
There is no doubt the richest corporations pay next to nothing in taxs. The majority of america isnt going to fall for the conjob because the majority of american is taking the BRUNT of the corporatists rape of america

Chris
07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Why is that a problem, just start with the existing Constitution.

Nothing you say about the far right is true. I agree, few will fall for it.