PDA

View Full Version : Marinated Grilled Salmon

oceanloverOH
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Tried this recipe tonight....it was fantastic! I didn't make this one up, got it online.......

Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 6 hours
Cooking time: 15-16 minutes
Total: 6 hours, 30 minutes
Serves about 3-4

About 1½ lbs salmon fillet (skinless or skin on)
PAM Olive Oil spray

Marinade
⅓ cup lite soy sauce
⅓ cup water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon pepper (I use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Lemon and Cracked Pepper blend)
⅓ cup Splenda brown sugar blend
1 tsp salt
1½ Tbsp minced garlic
1½ Tbsp minced onion

Combine all marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl, whisking well until brown sugar is completely dissolved. Add marinade and whole salmon fillet to large gallon-size ziplock baggie, seal, and turn several times to coat. Refrigerate at least 6 hours, turning baggie once in awhile to ensure fish soaks up marinade evenly.

Preheat grill to medium heat (rack should be about 5"-6" from coals).

Place marinated salmon fillet in a metal fish grill basket (the kind with a removable handle) that has been lightly sprayed with PAM so the fish doesn't stick and doesn't fall apart when turning. Place fish in prepared basket on the grill, skin side up. Close basket; remove the handle and lower grill cover. Cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, flip basket, close grill cover again, and cook another 6 to 8 minutes. Open basket and flip fish onto platter, skin side up, and easily peel away the skin; discard. Fish should flake easily with a fork when done. Let stand about 5 minutes, cut into portions and serve.

Peter1469
07-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I never liked salmon- to fishy for me.

Dr. Who
07-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I never liked salmon- to fishy for me.Try soaking in milk, then smoking on the BBQ. Salmon is fishier for two reasons - not fresh enough and it is a fattier fish, so the oil carries the flavor. I'm not a huge salmon fan either, but I have had salmon that didn't taste fishy, so it is possible. Teriyaki salmon is pretty good. Ocean's recipe reminds me of Teriyaki.

Mister D
07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
I never liked salmon- to fishy for me.

You think Salmon is fishy? Try mackeral.

Peter1469
07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
You think Salmon is fishy? Try mackeral.
I have. Not a fan.

Mister D
07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I have. Not a fan.

I thought it was awful. Fishiest filet I ever attempted to eat. Loaded with oils.

oceanloverOH
07-04-2013, 08:09 PM
It's really all in the preparation, guys, I swear. I detest fishy fish, myself....don't like cod, trout, mackerel or catfish. So initially I found this recipe and bought the salmon just for Mr. Ocean to grill for himself. But I read some tips online....one is to buy farm raised, not wild caught, because farm raised is MUCH milder. Another one is to marinate at least 6 hours; the brown sugar leaches a lot of the "fishiness" out. For this recipe, many reviewers said they hate fishy fish, but they really liked this recipe. And I agree!

Mister D
07-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Trout ad cod are among my favorites. Cod is the most neutral I can think of.

Dr. Who
07-04-2013, 08:25 PM
You think Salmon is fishy? Try mackeral. Super fishy, again a fatty fish.

Dr. Who
07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Trout ad cod are among my favorites. Cod is the most neutral I can think of.You wouldn't say that if you have tried dried, salted and rehydrated cod. Whoowee, seriously fishy! Soak and rinse, then combine with other powerful flavors. Many cultures eat it.

Common
07-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Try this Ocean simple and its my favorite. Take your salmon and rub it down with Potlatch Seasoning, this one is the best.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/potlatch-seasoning/

Rub it down put a teaspoon or so olive oil or whatever oil you like into a sautee pan on medium heat and its delicious to me.

oceanloverOH
07-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Try this Ocean simple and its my favorite. Take your salmon and rub it down with Potlatch Seasoning, this one is the best.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/potlatch-seasoning/

Rub it down put a teaspoon or so olive oil or whatever oil you like into a sautee pan on medium heat and its delicious to me.

Hmmm....I dunno, Common. As I said, I don't like "fishy" fish....I've tasted hubby's salmon at restaurants and yeccchhhh! I think I only liked this recipe because the marinade removed most of that nasty fishy flavor.

Peter1469
07-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I love cod. Halibut and trout are good too.

Dr. Who
07-04-2013, 09:20 PM
I love cod. Halibut and trout are good too.I actually love lemon pepper catfish filets (without the skin) fried in butter. A really filling fish too, because the meat is so dense.

Sytha
07-04-2013, 10:31 PM
sounds yummy!

if you can find a bottled sweet vidalia onion dressing...... try marinating in that for an hour and then baking it.

Common
07-05-2013, 02:49 AM
sounds yummy!

if you can find a bottled sweet vidalia onion dressing...... try marinating in that for an hour and then baking it.

That dressing is excellent and Sams Club sells a very very good one if anyone goes to sams.

Common
07-05-2013, 02:50 AM
I love cod. Halibut and trout are good too.

Nothing like fresh brook trout pan sauteed with butter right out of the lake :)

Common
07-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Hmmm....I dunno, Common. As I said, I don't like "fishy" fish....I've tasted hubby's salmon at restaurants and yeccchhhh! I think I only liked this recipe because the marinade removed most of that nasty fishy flavor.

If salmon tastes fishy dont eat it, fresh salmon or salmon fileted and flash frozen properly is not fishy at all.

Dr. Who
07-05-2013, 10:36 PM
sounds yummy!

Never tried. I'm a bit paranoid about overcooked fish - yuk. How long would you bake it and does it have to be covered?

oceanloverOH
07-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Never tried. I'm a bit paranoid about overcooked fish - yuk. How long would you bake it and does it have to be covered?

From what I read, the best way to bake fish without it drying out and getting yucky is to place marinated fillets in an aluminum foil "packet" with a fair amount of marinade brushed on, so it's good and moist. Seal packet and bake at 425F for 15 minutes for a 1 pound fillet.