PDA

View Full Version : Should an ex-President Stay On or Off Stage

Chris
07-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Bush was recently interviewed, Bush: I don't speak much with Obama (http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2013/07/07/obama-george-w-bush-africa-dont-speak-much/2496565/), and had this to say:

Former president George W. Bush confirmed something we all suspected: He doesn't speak much with President Obama.

"He's busy ... and I'm retired," Bush told ABC's This Week in a taped interview.

.."I'm out of politics," Bush said. "The only way I can really make news is either criticize the president, which I don't wanna do, (or) criticize my own party, or wade in on a controversial issue.

"I'm off the stage."

Carter and Clinton seem to like the stage.

This is not about whether you love or hate Bush or Carter or Clinton, but a simple question about ex-Presidents, should they stay on or off stage? What do you think?

strollingbonez
07-08-2013, 08:41 AM
if i could make what they make with public engagements and speeches ....i would be on that stage...

strollingbonez
07-08-2013, 08:44 AM
i will give president clinton this....when all the ex and currrents political high ups gathered for k. grahams funeral shortly after 9/11....every left in their secured cars as soon as the funeral was over..but there on the steps...is clinton....kissing babies and ladies and shaking hands...he stayed...showing balls or ego....i dont know...

oceanloverOH
07-08-2013, 09:14 AM
It seems to me that a former President would be a treasure trove of information and experience to a sitting President. Most of them don't seem to draw on this resource, though. And a former Prez wouldn't have to be "on stage" to offer guidance. But to answer the question....I don't think they need to be on stage. Their time in the limelight should be done.

Ravi
07-08-2013, 09:31 AM
They should do whatever they please.

Chris
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
It seems to me that a former President would be a treasure trove of information and experience to a sitting President. Most of them don't seem to draw on this resource, though. And a former Prez wouldn't have to be "on stage" to offer guidance. But to answer the question....I don't think they need to be on stage. Their time in the limelight should be done.

So they should be available for consultation but not stealing limelight. That makes sense.

jillian
07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Bush was recently interviewed, Bush: I don't speak much with Obama (http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2013/07/07/obama-george-w-bush-africa-dont-speak-much/2496565/), and had this to say:

Carter and Clinton seem to like the stage.

This is not about whether you love or hate Bush or Carter or Clinton, but a simple question about ex-Presidents, should they stay on or off stage? What do you think?

bush can't comment because he left such a mess that he needs to stay away still.

patrickt
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
bush can't comment because he left such a mess that he needs to stay away still.

That's truly pitiful. Presidents have their shot and once it's done they should tend to their own knitting. President Truman was a Democrat I respected and when President Kennedy was assassinated he was asked if he had any advice for President Johnson. "He's the President of the United States. If he wants advice he'll ask."

He wasn't a know-it-all deadbeat Democrat.

Chris
07-08-2013, 10:28 AM
(A) bush can't comment (B) because he left such a mess that he needs to stay away still.

(A) is non sequitur to (B). He could still comment, just as mess leavers Carter and Clinton do.

The question wasn't about any particular president, but presidents in general, should they say on or get off stage. Miss that?

Cigar
07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
(A) is non sequitur to (B). He could still comment, just as mess leavers Carter and Clinton do.

The question wasn't about any particular president, but presidents in general, should they say on or get off stage. Miss that?

So now you want to compare Messes?

That's could pile up to be a lot of Sheeeeeeeeet :laugh:

Chris
07-08-2013, 10:43 AM
So now you want to compare Messes?

That's could pile up to be a lot of Sheeeeeeeeet :laugh:

That's right, but the question is should an ex-Mess stay on or step off stage?

Cigar
07-08-2013, 10:46 AM
That's right, but the question is should an ex-Mess stay on or step off stage?

No ... Not if there's constructive, first hand advice. :wink:

Chris
07-08-2013, 11:05 AM
No ... Not if there's constructive, first hand advice. :wink:

So you agree with ocean, an ex-Prez should be available for consultation.