PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is "compromise"?

Boris The Animal
07-09-2013, 06:15 PM
To the Left, compromise means Conservatives kowtow and step and fetch for them. IOW, agreeing with them 100% of the time. I find that dangerous in that there has been no earthly good to come out of that. I would rather destroy the enemy (Liberalism) than kowtow to them.

GrassrootsConservative
07-09-2013, 06:23 PM
The majority of the country is with you, my good friend. That's why we're still here as a whole nation and not as a desolate wasteland destroyed by Liberal policies.

/edit: I don't mind compromise so much, but when Liberal policies are so unsustainable there is no compromise to be made. We either tighten the belt or we lose our pants.

Chris
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Compromise is how this country constantly shifts to the left.

Boris The Animal
07-09-2013, 06:51 PM
And this also relates to all the "advice" the GOP had been getting from Liberals. They want no opposition to their agenda and that means either destroying or emasculating the GOP to a point of ineffectiveness. Sorry, Dumbshitocrats, we already saw what back-to-back RINO candidates left us.

patrickt
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
I disagree. I don't consider compromise, where both extremes give something and meet towards the middle, to be a bad thing. What is a bad thing is when you try to compromise with a liberal they want you to give something up now and they promise to give something up in the future. Normally, they lie.

President George Bush believe the Democrats when they said that if he would agree to spending they wanted they wouldn't raise taxes. He agreed, they raised taxes, and then sneered and said, "Read my lips, no new taxes."

To compromise there needs to be trust. Right now the liberals are saying that if they're allowed to make millions of Mexicans citizens, which they say is their human right, then at some time in the future the border will be secured. Does anyone actually believe that?

Sorry, but the liberals have lied enough that they will never get people to trust them or believe them.

Boris The Animal
07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I disagree. I don't consider compromise, where both extremes give something and meet towards the middle, to be a bad thing. What is a bad thing is when you try to compromise with a liberal they want you to give something up now and they promise to give something up in the future. Normally, they lie.

President George Bush believe the Democrats when they said that if he would agree to spending they wanted they wouldn't raise taxes. He agreed, they raised taxes, and then sneered and said, "Read my lips, no new taxes."

To compromise there needs to be trust. Right now the liberals are saying that if they're allowed to make millions of Mexicans citizens, which they say is their human right, then at some time in the future the border will be secured. Does anyone actually believe that?

Sorry, but the liberals have lied enough that they will never get people to trust them or believe them.This is exactly why I call Democrats Backstabbers. They did that with Reagan, and HW Bush.

Cigar
07-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Tick Tock Tick Tock :grin:

Boris The Animal
07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Tick Tock Tick Tock :grin:Fuck you fuck you :P

jillian
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
To the Left, compromise means Conservatives kowtow and step and fetch for them. IOW, agreeing with them 100% of the time. I find that dangerous in that there has been no earthly good to come out of that. I would rather destroy the enemy (Liberalism) than kowtow to them.

paranoid much?

to normal people, compromise means... compromise. everyone gets something... no one gets everything... everyone walks away dignity intact.

rightwingnuts don't seem to understand that. it's kind of nutty... juvenile, actually.

patrickt
07-09-2013, 08:12 PM
paranoid much?

to normal people, compromise means... compromise. everyone gets something... no one gets everything... everyone walks away dignity intact.

rightwingnuts don't seem to understand that. it's kind of nutty... juvenile, actually.

And, you're good with the lies. You would buy the promises of the liberals to secure the border, some day if they can make millions of Mexicans citizens right now? You would buy the promises to cut spending, somewhere, if they can raise taxes ad infinitum right now? You actually believe the promises for Obamacare to cost less and provide better service?

And I'm sure everyone on the left will agree that a good way to start a compromise would be to sneer, wiggle your butt, and sing, "I won, I won."

I would like to say you couldn't but you probably can.

jillian
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
And, you're good with the lies. You would buy the promises of the liberals to secure the border, some day if they can make millions of Mexicans citizens right now? You would buy the promises to cut spending, somewhere, if they can raise taxes ad infinitum right now? You actually believe the promises for Obamacare to cost less and provide better service?

And I'm sure everyone on the left will agree that a good way to start a compromise would be to sneer, wiggle your butt, and sing, "I won, I won."

let's start by looking at your assertions... 1. politicians never tell 100% of the truth. we each go by who most agrees with our pov...
2. as for obamacare... it was a heritage foundation plan developed in response to hillary clinton's healthcare proposal. the right loved it... romney used it in massachusetts...

and then this president used it...

suddenly it became anathema to the right. you want to talk about dishonest? start there....

is it perfect? hell no.

but its a start. if the right weren't so rabid, it would be made even better through compromise.

but the extremists on the right can't and won't do it... because it might make this president look good... and we all know what mitch mcconnell's 'first priority' is... it's not the country... it's opposing this president.

so now that we've talked some takas... (yiddish for 'truths')... you can go on from there, patrick.

Cigar
07-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Fuck you fuck you :P

No thank you, I prefer Women, but knock your ass out all you want. :)

Dr. Who
07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Fuck you fuck you :PPlease refrain from vulgar attacks.

roadmaster
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
as for obamacare... it was a heritage foundation plan developed in response to hillary clinton's healthcare proposal. the right loved it... romney used it in massachusetts...

suddenly it became anathema to the right. you want to talk about dishonest? start there....

is it perfect? hell no.
Wrong the first to try to get this type of healthcare was a republican and it failed to get votes. I am not against Obamas except he should have went with what Canada has. Why not go with something that has at least half-way worked?

jillian
07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Wrong the first to try to get this type of healthcare was a republican and it failed to get votes. I am not against Obamas except he should have went with what Canada has. Why not go with something that has at least half-way worked?

no he didn't go with what canada has. canada has single payor.

obamacare is the heritage foundation plan...a/k/a romneycare.

roadmaster
07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
no he didn't go with what canada has. canada has single payor.

obamacare is the heritage foundation plan...a/k/a romneycare. He should have and I don't like Romneycare either. Both we don't know what's in it.

Chris
07-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Sorry, but the liberals have lied enough that they will never get people to trust them or believe them.

True compromise, sure, but...

Solving the fiscal cliff crisis just such a case where for raising taxes spending cuts were promised, then reneged.

Thus, compromise is how this country constantly shifts to the left.

Dr. Who
07-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Wrong the first to try to get this type of healthcare was a republican and it failed to get votes. I am not against Obamas except he should have went with what Canada has. Why not go with something that has at least half-way worked?Perhaps because there is far too much investment in maintaining the status quo for business. Congress is bought and paid for by special interest. The insurance lobbyists got there first. No one in Congress would vote for Canadian style health care - who could make a profit?

Chris
07-09-2013, 08:49 PM
paranoid much?

Nice well poisoning but the examples so far are your leftwingnuts doing what you opine.

Chris
07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
let's start by looking at your assertions... 1. politicians never tell 100% of the truth. we each go by who most agrees with our pov...
2. as for obamacare... it was a heritage foundation plan developed in response to hillary clinton's healthcare proposal. the right loved it... romney used it in massachusetts...

is it perfect? hell no.

but its a start. if the right weren't so rabid, it would be made even better through compromise.

but the extremists on the right can't and won't do it... because it might make this president look good... and we all know what mitch mcconnell's 'first priority' is... it's not the country... it's opposing this president.

so now that we've talked some takas... (yiddish for 'truths')... you can go on from there, patrick.

Personal opinions are not takas.

Let's look at the only two arguments you make.

1. You don't counter patrick's argument but reinforce it.

2. That there are similarities among Obamacare and Romneycare is not an argument that counter's patrick's points.

The rest of your post is mere hyperbole.

Chris
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
He should have and I don't like Romneycare either. Both we don't know what's in it.

So much for the right supporting Romneycare.

pjohns
07-09-2013, 09:03 PM
From the late Margaret Thatcher:

The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead. What great cause would have been fought and won under the banner: 'I stand for consensus?'

TheInternet
07-09-2013, 10:46 PM

QFT. I really get dumbfounded when I hear people talking about how we have moved to the right. LOL. Imagine trying to pass socialized medicine 100 years ago.

2. That there are similarities among Obamacare and Romneycare is not an argument that counter's patrick's points.

Placing her on ignore has increased my TPF experience tenfold.

jillian
07-09-2013, 10:49 PM
they haven't passed socialized medicine.

jillian
07-09-2013, 10:50 PM

you just said absolutely nothing.....

but nice trolling. :thup:

Common
07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Compromise should be when one side wants one thing and the other side wants the opposite, they sit down like GROWNUPS and work out something give and take both can live with for the good of the entire country.

Agravan
07-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Compromise should be when one side wants one thing and the other side wants the opposite, they sit down like GROWNUPS and work out something give and take both can live with for the good of the entire country.
Agree with what you say, but the fact remains that Dems have reneged on each and every compromise they have made with Repubs and they are given a pass by the media. In my lifetime, I have seen compromise after compromise where Repubs agree to things like tax increases and dems say they'll cut spending. We get the Txa increases, we never get the cuts.
You can't have compromise if one side never compromises in good faith. Yet when Repubs refuse to compromise because of the history of Dem lies, they are the ones called obstructionists.
So, if the Repubs compromise with Dems, they lose. If they don't compromise with Dems, they still lose. So why even keep up the pretense anymore? The Dems need to be held accountable for their side of any bargain, but in today's era of biased media, only the Repubs are held responsible even for things the Dems do.

Common
07-10-2013, 05:42 AM
Agree with what you say, but the fact remains that Dems have reneged on each and every compromise they have made with Repubs and they are given a pass by the media. In my lifetime, I have seen compromise after compromise where Repubs agree to things like tax increases and dems say they'll cut spending. We get the Txa increases, we never get the cuts.
You can't have compromise if one side never compromises in good faith. Yet when Repubs refuse to compromise because of the history of Dem lies, they are the ones called obstructionists.
So, if the Repubs compromise with Dems, they lose. If they don't compromise with Dems, they still lose. So why even keep up the pretense anymore? The Dems need to be held accountable for their side of any bargain, but in today's era of biased media, only the Repubs are held responsible even for things the Dems do.

I do not know if thats true or not aggravan I try very hard not to make wild statements that I cant prove. Like the dems ALWAYS reneg on compromises. You dont know that to be true either.
I do know that the teaparty type republicans have STOPPED everything in the country they have stonewalled every single initiative. The teaparty hasnt created a single job that they blame Obama for not doing. They dont try to help AMERICA they only try to help the few rich and thats whats going to make them fail in the long term.
Without compromise we have what we have right now, A DO NOTHING CONGRESS thats worthless and has the LOWEST approval rating in the history of polling it. They are a failure total and utter failure.

jillian
07-10-2013, 06:05 AM

^^^^
that

Chris
07-10-2013, 06:41 AM
From the late Margaret Thatcher:

The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead. What great cause would have been fought and won under the banner: 'I stand for consensus?'

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

--Goldwater

Chris
07-10-2013, 06:42 AM
they haven't passed socialized medicine.

Obamacare.

Chris
07-10-2013, 06:44 AM
QFT. I really get dumbfounded when I hear people talking about how we have moved to the right. LOL. Imagine trying to pass socialized medicine 100 years ago.

Nah, she has opinions and that's fine, and this time she substantiated with reasons, which give you something to argue with.

Placing her on ignore has increased my TPF experience tenfold.

Chris
07-10-2013, 06:44 AM
you just said absolutely nothing.....

but nice trolling. :thup:

IOW, you have no counterargument.

Chris
07-10-2013, 06:47 AM
I do not know if thats true or not aggravan I try very hard not to make wild statements that I cant prove. Like the dems ALWAYS reneg on compromises. You dont know that to be true either.
I do know that the teaparty type republicans have STOPPED everything in the country they have stonewalled every single initiative. The teaparty hasnt created a single job that they blame Obama for not doing. They dont try to help AMERICA they only try to help the few rich and thats whats going to make them fail in the long term.
Without compromise we have what we have right now, A DO NOTHING CONGRESS thats worthless and has the LOWEST approval rating in the history of polling it. They are a failure total and utter failure.

(A) "I try very hard not to make wild statements that I cant prove."

(B) "I do know that the teaparty type republicans have STOPPED everything in the country they have stonewalled every single initiative. The teaparty hasnt created a single job that they blame Obama for not doing. They dont try to help AMERICA they only try to help the few rich and thats whats going to make them fail in the long term."

LOL. If (A) is true, then prove (B).

jillian
07-10-2013, 06:52 AM
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

--Goldwater

hating government is NOT defending liberty.

grown ups still have to govern... unless, of course, one is a child throwing a giant temper tantrum.

Chris
07-10-2013, 06:59 AM

grown ups still have to govern... unless, of course, one is a child throwing a giant temper tantrum.

I thought you'd given up making it up that I hate government. I guess not.

patrickt
07-10-2013, 08:09 AM

You mean like wiggling your butt, giggling, and saying, "I won, I won."

Cigar
07-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Stop ... Hammer-Time :grin:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/980226/hammertime-o.gif

pjohns
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Most conservatives do not "hat[e] government." Rather, we distrust government--we believe that the very best government ever invented by humankind, in its very finest hour, was merely a necessary evil, preferable to the alternative of anarchy, with the chaos that would certainly be attendant to it.

Therefore, we support the concept of limited government, as proposed by the Founders--not Big Government...

Cigar
07-10-2013, 10:41 AM
I prefer efficiency in all processes for both private and public ... if you you're open-minded enough, you can find improvements is just about all areas.

Taxcutter
07-10-2013, 10:50 AM
When the status quo has become as intolerable as it is today, compromise in nothing but a sell-out of the people.

What is the compromise on ObamaTax?
What is the compromise on Dodd-Frank?
What is the compromise on 25% of GDP going to the federal government and more than half of that going to free stuff for moochers?
What is the compromise on hundreds iof pages of new job-killing regulations promulgated every single day?

Cigar
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
When the status quo has become as intolerable as it is today, compromise in nothing but a sell-out of the people.

What is the compromise on ObamaTax?
What is the compromise on Dodd-Frank?
What is the compromise on 25% of GDP going to the federal government and more than half of that going to free stuff for moochers?
What is the compromise on hundreds iof pages of new job-killing regulations promulgated every single day?

Sucks to lose

Yea Yea we know what happens when babies don't get their way ...

Slip what they want into Sharia Law Bill in the Dark of Night

http://www.dreamstime.com/little-girl-pout-thumb1801109.jpg

codyjwa
07-12-2013, 02:21 AM
IMO compromise is just a word to procrastinate until one side sees an opening to push for what they want. What we need is the people to say enough is enough and try to salvage what we can from this mess and move on. Planning for the future is all well and good, but what happens when the planning for the future doesn't get done until the future has already passed?

lynn
07-12-2013, 09:18 AM
The government is compromising, only its not with the American people, its their lobbyist paid by special interest groups that is doing the bidding. We would have a single payer mandate which would have put the federal government on a better path to pay for the last generation baby boomers. The problem is they need the insurance companies generous contributions to pay for their pet projects and to get re-elected.

nic34
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Sounds like the r/w repubo-party feel like victims so they want to take their ball and go home.... (mitch mcconnel)

Chris
07-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Sounds like the r/w repubo-party feel like victims so they want to take their ball and go home.... (mitch mcconnel)

What rightwinder or Republican here, noc, do you see claiming to be victims. Most of us want no compromise with leftwingers or Democrats.

jillian
07-12-2013, 09:41 AM
What rightwinder or Republican here, noc, do you see claiming to be victims. Most of us want no compromise with leftwingers or Democrats.

Thats b/c you hate your country's government.

And people who hate government can't govern.

Only children stamp their feet and demand things be all their own way.... Especially when they LOST and "we the people" ( you know, that phrase rightwingers like so much") rejected rightwing extremism.

Or does majority only matter when rightwingers win?

Chris
07-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Only children stamp their feet and demand things be all their own wy.... Especially when they LOST and "we the people" ( you know, that rightwingers like so much") rejected rightwing extremism.

I just got up and still on my first cup of coffee and already, jill, you're making things up. Not one thing you just posted is true. Let me know when you've got something true to say.

Agravan
07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Only children stamp their feet and demand things be all their own way.... Especially when they LOST and "we the people" ( you know, that phrase rightwingers like so much") rejected rightwing extremism.

Kind of like when the left stamped their feet and cried when Bush won the 2000 election? How quickly we forget.

Ransom
07-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I just got up and still on my first cup of coffee and already, jill, you're making things up. Not one thing you just posted is true. Let me know when you've got something true to say.

She actually earlier asked another member to provide "believable links" when her number of links given to support her arguments on this forum equals exactly zero. Our resident Bomb Thrower entertaining, you'll be advised to look elsewhere if seeking the truth. Jillian's comments are fer playing with, not fer serious debate.

Chris
07-13-2013, 03:22 PM
She actually earlier asked another member to provide "believable links" when her number of links given to support her arguments on this forum equals exactly zero. Our resident Bomb Thrower entertaining, you'll be advised to look elsewhere if seeking the truth. Jillian's comments are fer playing with, not fer serious debate.

If you mean by bomb throwing flame baiting I'm beginning to think so too.