PDA

View Full Version : republicans block tax cut extension

Elibe
12-20-2011, 05:02 PM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/20/9585039-house-rejects-payroll-tax-stopgap-hardening-standoff

looks like we are headed for a tax hike

i understand why the repubs are rejecting it but both sides need to work something out the gridlock never ends

Elibe
12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
this is so typical it makes me sick of politics.....

Mister D
12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I thought I just heard it went through?

Mister D
12-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Weird. According to the most news article it's as you say. My boss told me something different just before I left.

Conley
12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
It'd be great if they can get something through before the recess but somehow I doubt it. Both sides seem very dug in.

Maybe your boss should join us here on the Rant? :grin:

Mister D
12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
It'd be great if they can get something through before the recess but somehow I doubt it. Both sides seem very dug in.

I can't clue him in on the fact that I have this open most of the day. :wink:

Conley
12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
:laugh: Ah, good point.

MMC
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
It is the right thing to do.....but that BS by Harry Reid of saying he will negotiate with the House after they Pass the Senate Bill is no solution like he stated. Reid is attempting to pass the buck. This guy if he would have been a Roman Senator. He wouldnt have lasted more than a month. Before someone woke up to what he excatly is. A complete waste of Space. Another Attorney that got into Government. Notice how there always seems to be that problem with Attorneys. Notice how nothing ever gets done with this patsy!

Regardless of the war of words and the party politics. Its like CL said.....time to sit down and get it done. Right now people all over this country and from their states should be threatening these Jokers with being re-called home! Althought one thing is for certain.....this President if he cared so much would have all of them and his azz all together and tell them. We aint going anywheres until this is done. Running around and putting the blame on others is not leadership. Plus Obama needs to dsave all that rhetoric about how the Senate did it's job. Especially when not more than a few months ago he was blaming the Sneate for not compromising.

Mister D
12-21-2011, 10:46 AM
It made a significant difference for me. I hope we keep this. I was telling Conley a few weeks ago that it buys my grocweries for the week or close to it anyway.

GRUMPY
12-21-2011, 11:22 AM

really, and what would you like to see them, congress get through......

Captain Obvious
12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't believe this is on the table but I only support a continuance of the SS tax cut if there is an equal or greater replacement tax, preferably on higher income earners.

Otherwise this is just a scheme to buy middle class votes.

Mister D
12-21-2011, 08:56 PM
When did this begin? Yeah, I work for a PEO and I don't remember. :rollseyes: Didn't it start early last year? I don't think it was a scheme to buy votes initially but its renewal will be used that way regardless of the initial intent.

Conley
12-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I think it was either last year or the year before. I do remember Obama taking credit for it as assistance to the middle class.

Mister D
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I think it was either last year or the year before. I do remember Obama taking credit for it as assistance to the middle class.

I think it's only a year old. Now that I think about it I remember we prepared for it in late 2010.

I'll give BO credit for that. Tax relief is a good thing particularly in a bad economy.

Captain Obvious
12-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I think it's only a year old. Now that I think about it I remember we prepared for it in late 2010.

I'll give BO credit for that. Tax relief is a good thing particularly in a bad economy.

I'm not going to argue that sentiment but my issue is that tax relief - at least in this form is deferring funding for future generations.

That's all it is. Buy now, pay later.

Mister D
12-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm not going to argue that sentiment but my issue is that tax relief - at least in this form is deferring funding for future generations.

That's all it is. Buy now, pay later.

No doubt. That's precisely why this is taking some negotiation. It has to be made up for somewhere else like you suggested above.