PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Eggplant

Common
07-12-2013, 08:41 AM
If you were to ask me what my favorite food was, I would instantly respond Eggplant. I was raised on it made all different ways.

This morning at the farm market I bought two firm deep purple medium eggplants.
I sliced them in half inch slices and salted them with Kosher salt and let them sit 40 minutes.
Then I put a light coat of olive oil and throw them on an extremely hot grill, when ready I put a bit more olive oil on the top and flip them.
We eat them like that or I dice them and mix them with pasta and then our favorite sauce or throw them in a salad.
If you look up the nutrtional value of eggplant you might be surprised how good it is for you. Some people love eggplant and some hate it.

Peter1469
07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I like eggplant, but it has been a while since I made it.

oceanloverOH
07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
If you were to ask me what my favorite food was, I would instantly respond Eggplant. I was raised on it made all different ways.

This morning at the farm market I bought two firm deep purple medium eggplants.
I sliced them in half inch slices and salted them with Kosher salt and let them sit 40 minutes.
Then I put a light coat of olive oil and throw them on an extremely hot grill, when ready I put a bit more olive oil on the top and flip them.
We eat them like that or I dice them and mix them with pasta and then our favorite sauce or throw them in a salad.
If you look up the nutrtional value of eggplant you might be surprised how good it is for you. Some people love eggplant and some hate it.

I've never made eggplant; my mother never cooked them so I didn't know how. But I am DEFINITELY going to try this on my George Foreman! Do you have a recipe for them prepared breaded, as in Eggplant Parmesan, by chance? Thanks, Common!

Common
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I've never made eggplant; my mother never cooked them so I didn't know how. But I am DEFINITELY going to try this on my George Foreman! Do you have a recipe for them prepared breaded, as in Eggplant Parmesan, by chance? Thanks, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659)!

I dont use breadcrumbs to bread my eggplant. To cut down on fat I use Eggbeaters and Flour.
Slice the eggplant thinner for breading and frying. Salt it and let it sit, ideally you slice it and let it sit over night with weight on it to drain the water but that takes alot of time. Salt it and let them sit 30 minutes use kosher salt.
Then dip both sides in flour then the egg and fry drain well, then layer in your pan, ever layer put a small amount of mozzarella and I stress small amout, toss some romano or parmesan and a very thin layer of sauce not too much then keep layering until its at least 3 inchs high 4 is better. Then put more mozzarella on the top and more sauce and bake it till the edges start to boil and turn crusty brown. Let it sit till it gets down to almost room temp.

oceanloverOH
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I dont use breadcrumbs to bread my eggplant. To cut down on fat I use Eggbeaters and Flour.
Slice the eggplant thinner for breading and frying. Salt it and let it sit, ideally you slice it and let it sit over night with weight on it to drain the water but that takes alot of time. Salt it and let them sit 30 minutes use kosher salt.
Then dip both sides in flour then the egg and fry drain well, then layer in your pan, ever layer put a small amount of mozzarella and I stress small amout, toss some romano or parmesan and a very thin layer of sauce not too much then keep layering until its at least 3 inchs high 4 is better. Then put more mozzarella on the top and more sauce and bake it till the edges start to boil and turn crusty brown. Let it sit till it gets down to almost room temp.

Oh-freaking-YUM! I'm def going to try this one! Thank you!

Captain Obvious
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Eggplant sucks up olive oil. I salt pepper and saturate it in olive oil and grill it to almost black. Not my favorite grilling veggie, but it aint bad.

Common
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Eggplant sucks up olive oil. I salt pepper and saturate it in olive oil and grill it to almost black. Not my favorite grilling veggie, but it aint bad.

Yes it does suck it up if you dont put it on right. Dont put the oil on till your right at the grill and going to toss the slices on the hot grill. Just coat the top with enough to cover it.
Last what you think is sucked up oil maybe moisture from the eggplant itself, thats why you salt it down for 40 minutes after that the pan has water in it.