PDA

View Full Version : Palin considers running for Senate seat

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Sarah Palin is stirring the pot, suggesting she might seek office again.

"I've considered it because people have requested me to consider it. But, I'm still waiting to see what the lineup will be and hoping that -- there again, there will be some new blood, new energy," she told (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/09/palin-im-considering-a-senate-run/) radio host Sean Hannity on Tuesday.

No, she's not thinking about the 2016 presidential race -- yet. This time, she's eyeing next year's U.S. Senate race in Alaska, where Democrat Mark Begich is seeking a second term.

And now as she flirts with a Senate run, she has to deal with a new reality: Her popularity in Alaska has tumbled.

Several private polls obtained from Republican sources indicate she's one of the least-liked politicians in the state.

What's more, Palin is raking in the bucks giving high-profile speeches at conservative functions and appearing on Fox News (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/13/guess-whos-back-at-fox/). And her family is starring in various reality shows. As a U.S. senator, those paychecks would disappear.

Is Sarah Palin teasing us again? - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/politics/palin-senate/index.html)

By the sounds of it, she doesn't stand a chance of winning, largely due to quitting as Gorvenor. She should probably stick to her job with Fox News.

Chris
07-13-2013, 10:47 AM
She resigned in the best interests of Alaska. Alaskans seem to like her.

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 10:51 AM
She resigned in the best interests of Alaska. Alaskans seem to like her.

Not according to the article, (Alaskans liking her).

Chris
07-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Not according to the article, (Alaskans liking her).

Naturally according to Sen. Mark Begich, the Alaska Democrat who holds the seat Sarah Palin is considering seeking.

A recent poll, for what it's worth, says ALASKANS WANT SARAH PALIN TO RUN FOR U.S. SENATE (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/10/Exclusive-Poll-Alaskans-want-Sarah-Palin-to-run-for-U-S-Senate).

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Naturally according to Sen. Mark Begich, the Alaska Democrat who holds the seat Sarah Palin is considering seeking.

A recent poll, for what it's worth, says ALASKANS WANT SARAH PALIN TO RUN FOR U.S. SENATE (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/10/Exclusive-Poll-Alaskans-want-Sarah-Palin-to-run-for-U-S-Senate).

From your article:

The survey of 379 likely Republican voters found that 32 percent support Palin, whereas 30 percent support Treadwell and 14 percent support Miller. The Harper Polling poll, conducted via telephone on May 6 and May 7 on behalf of the Tea Party Leadership Fund, found that 45 percent of likely GOP voters think Palin would “fight hardest for conservative values,” compared to 25 percent who thought that of Treadwell and 15 percent of Miller.

32 percent isn't a very high number if you are only polling Republicans.

Chris
07-13-2013, 12:02 PM
From your article:

32 percent isn't a very high number if you are only polling Republicans.

But higher support than the others.

jillian
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Is Sarah Palin teasing us again? - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/politics/palin-senate/index.html)

By the sounds of it, she doesn't stand a chance of winning, largely due to quitting as Gorvenor. She should probably stick to her job with Fox News.

she can't actually run... because when she loses her value as a bigmouth ends.

jillian
07-13-2013, 12:04 PM

would be a huge loss in the general election if only the deadenders on the right support her.

Chris
07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
she can't actually run... because when she loses her value as a bigmouth ends.

That bit of flamebait isn't even coherent grammatically.

Chris
07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
would be a huge loss in the general election if only the deadenders on the right support her.

And that makes little sense semantically.

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Probably until she opens her mouth or has to debate the other candidates. I often defend her on principle against sexist comments that have occurred previously, but I think she's at a disadvantage because she isn't the sharpest crayon in the box. Admittedly, I don't get Fox News in Canada, (I think they were blocked by the CRTC due to high standards for journalism - we don't have MSNBC either) so maybe she's grown intellectually since I last paid attention to her.

Chris
07-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Probably until she opens her mouth or has to debate the other candidates. I often defend her on principle against sexist comments that have occurred previously, but I think she's at a disadvantage because she isn't the sharpest crayon in the box. Admittedly, I don't get Fox News in Canada, (I think they were blocked by the CRTC due to high standards for journalism - we don't have MSNBC either) so maybe she's grown intellectually since I last paid attention to her.

Apparently you buy into the media misrepresentation of her.

From http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpolitics/2013/07/11/sarah-palin-mark-begich-alaska-senate/2508197/

"I don't know if she's a resident," Begich told Politico. "She's been away from Alaska a lot and has probably lost touch with what's going on. She should go to my webpage. Most Alaskans I see on a pretty regular basis, but I haven't seen her for a long time."

Palin wrote back: "Margaret Thatcher used to say, ' I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.." So, thank you, Mark Begich, for making me and others exceptionally cheery today! Mark, after looking at your voting record I can see why you are looking for a distraction."

What's not sharp about that? In fact, what's so sharp with Begich?

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Apparently you buy into the media misrepresentation of her.

From http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpolitics/2013/07/11/sarah-palin-mark-begich-alaska-senate/2508197/

What's not sharp about that? In fact, what's so sharp with Begich?

So she knows how to Google quotes and say platitudes. Your article doesn't really prove much of anything, especially considering she probably has an advisor, aide or manager who okay's her tweets and Facebook messages.

Chris
07-13-2013, 12:54 PM
So she knows how to Google quotes and say platitudes. Your article doesn't really prove much of anything, especially considering she probably has an advisor, aide or manager who okay's her tweets and Facebook messages.

So you speculate. But offer nothing to back up your criticism of her.

Common
07-13-2013, 04:00 PM
I think more right wing loud mouths are going to find themselves in this position as time goes on.

Sarah Palin Senate Poll Finds Few Want Her To Hold Office Again

Most Americans aren't very keen on the idea of Sarah Palin as a U.S. senator (or as any other public official), according to a new HuffPost/YouGov poll (http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/toplines_Palin_0710112013.pdf).
The survey found that 49 percent don't want Palin to hold public office again and another 15 percent couldn't muster enough enthusiasm to be sure either way. Only 35 percent said yes to the idea of Palin back in government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/sarah-palin-senate-poll_n_3588368.html

Chris
07-13-2013, 04:02 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/14535-Palin-considers-running-for-Senate-seat

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Can I merge them Common ?

Common
07-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Can I merge them @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) ?

Of course you can :) I saw that thread, I thought this was new information because of the Poll

patrickt
07-13-2013, 06:35 PM
It's too bad no one has ever told Common that what nitwits in Illinois think of Gov. Sarah Palin or Rep. Nancy Pelosi or Senator Reid is irrelevant. What matter is what people in districts in Alaska, California, and Nevada think. Common tries, poor thing but it's hard to overcome some handicaps.

Common
07-13-2013, 08:32 PM
It's too bad no one has ever told Common that what nitwits in Illinois think of Gov. Sarah Palin or Rep. Nancy Pelosi or Senator Reid is irrelevant. What matter is what people in districts in Alaska, California, and Nevada think. Common tries, poor thing but it's hard to overcome some handicaps.

Yanno patrickt youre not unlike a couple of other right wingers on this site that like to hear yourselves talk try to sound knowledgeable and you dont even read before you open your mouth. If you had read what I posted you would have read this paragraph

If she were to run, a Public Policy Polling survey (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_AK_020713.pdf) conducted in February suggests that Palin would face an uphill battle to unseat Begich. That poll found the incumbent leading Palin 54 percent to 38 percent among Alaska voters in a hypothetical Senate matchup.

Adelaide
07-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Of course you can :) I saw that thread, I thought this was new information because of the Poll

I merged them. :)

Ransom
07-14-2013, 08:08 AM

Adelaide, you Memberfolk, and I all know and understand. Sarah Palin is in the exception to the rules category. Should you challenge the obvious intellectual challenges concerning our current President or Attorney General for example, it's interpreted by many as racism....or opinion laced with agenda. Should you challenge the genius that is our lying and seemingly always the victim former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.....or oppose a Supreme Court nomination such as a Ruth Bader Ginsburg or rocket scientist Sonya Sotomayor, it's interpreted by many observers as a broader war on women. I note your criticisms here include mental capacity or the lack of it....you don't seem to tell us why. What are her policies that you oppose so greatly, or is it just the way she comes across? Her appearance is it?:cool2:

Mainecoons
07-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I think her biggest problem is going to be the fact she did not complete her term as Governor. Any opponent is going to make hay with that one.

Ransom
07-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Any opponent seems able to discuss anything but her supported policies of less government and more individual. The focus on her keeps the focus off her policies....and off policies she opposes as well. Such as Obamacare. Runaway and unaccountable government such as we see at the IRS, EPA, and Justice Department. The focus seems to be how she lacks mental capacity....or didn't finish terms in office.....the focus when she is involved never the issues. I doubt her critics even know what issues she does or does not support, she's probably not that far off from many women concerning child care, motherhood, marriage, social security, or immigration. She's too inexperienced to have been chosen VP candidate, but he hate and rage turned her direction is inappropriate and well over the top. Ala Adelaide.

Common
07-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Any opponent seems able to discuss anything but her supported policies of less government and more individual. The focus on her keeps the focus off her policies....and off policies she opposes as well. Such as Obamacare. Runaway and unaccountable government such as we see at the IRS, EPA, and Justice Department. The focus seems to be how she lacks mental capacity....or didn't finish terms in office.....the focus when she is involved never the issues. I doubt her critics even know what issues she does or does not support, she's probably not that far off from many women concerning child care, motherhood, marriage, social security, or immigration. She's too inexperienced to have been chosen VP candidate, but he hate and rage turned her direction is inappropriate and well over the top. Ala Adelaide.

Her policies are exactly the issue and the way she presents them. I voted for McCain/Palin and I was outraged at the way the liberal press treated her and her family it was wrong then and its still wrong.
Palin quit governor to cash in and thats the only reason she quit. She realized she could make a ton more money running around the country making alot of noise.
Its not what she says its the way she says it and she says the same thing over and over ad nausem. Much of what she says is inaccurate just like Michele Bachman but of of course the far right sucks any criticism or nasty speech directed at Obama his adminstration and any other damn thing not far right nutjob and runs with it as gospel.
Your little critique is merely the "EXCUSES" the right makes for any of your hero's that are not popular with most of the country.
The far right are not the USA's pack leaders, the are not Alpha Males and Females because they incessantly shoot their mouths off. Like Palin, like bachman, like Cruz, like Coulter, like Limbaugh etc etc if you took all they say collectively you could over lap and make one LOUD obnoxious voice saying the same thing, its all bullshit right wing talking points. They are not wrong in all of what they say, its the way they say it and present it and the way they attempt to "DEMEAN" anyone that doesnt agree with them. Just like some of the right wing whackjobs on this forum who are not only not alpha males they dont even make D grade Delta.
If the Rush Limbaughs and Coulters and Palins and Cruzs and all the other right wing loudmouths had real impact. Obama wouldnt be president today.
Just because YOU think it, just because YOU want to believe it and just because YOU say it doesnt make it so. The YOU isnt you personally thats anyone.

Chris
07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Her policies are exactly the issue and the way she presents them. I voted for McCain/Palin and I was outraged at the way the liberal press treated her and her family it was wrong then and its still wrong.
Palin quit governor to cash in and thats the only reason she quit. She realized she could make a ton more money running around the country making alot of noise.
Its not what she says its the way she says it and she says the same thing over and over ad nausem. Much of what she says is inaccurate just like Michele Bachman but of of course the far right sucks any criticism or nasty speech directed at Obama his adminstration and any other damn thing not far right nutjob and runs with it as gospel.
Your little critique is merely the "EXCUSES" the right makes for any of your hero's that are not popular with most of the country.
The far right are not the USA's pack leaders, the are not Alpha Males and Females because they incessantly shoot their mouths off. Like Palin, like bachman, like Cruz, like Coulter, like Limbaugh etc etc if you took all they say collectively you could over lap and make one LOUD obnoxious voice saying the same thing, its all bullshit right wing talking points. They are not wrong in all of what they say, its the way they say it and present it and the way they attempt to "DEMEAN" anyone that doesnt agree with them. Just like some of the right wing whackjobs on this forum who are not only not alpha males they dont even make D grade Delta.
If the Rush Limbaughs and Coulters and Palins and Cruzs and all the other right wing loudmouths had real impact. Obama wouldnt be president today.
Just because YOU think it, just because YOU want to believe it and just because YOU say it doesnt make it so. The YOU isnt you personally thats anyone.

Her policies are exactly the issue and the way she presents them.

Interesting how you start off on that but then go into a diatribe that fails to address her policies.

Palin quit governor to cash in and thats the only reason she quit.

Cite Palin saying that. To quote you: "Just because YOU think it, just because YOU want to believe it and just because YOU say it doesnt make it so."

Its not what she says its the way she says it...

Again, you fail to address this. Instead you go off on a rant against the right.

Adelaide
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Adelaide, you Memberfolk, and I all know and understand. Sarah Palin is in the exception to the rules category. Should you challenge the obvious intellectual challenges concerning our current President or Attorney General for example, it's interpreted by many as racism....or opinion laced with agenda. Should you challenge the genius that is our lying and seemingly always the victim former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.....or oppose a Supreme Court nomination such as a Ruth Bader Ginsburg or rocket scientist Sonya Sotomayor, it's interpreted by many observers as a broader war on women. I note your criticisms here include mental capacity or the lack of it....you don't seem to tell us why. What are her policies that you oppose so greatly, or is it just the way she comes across? Her appearance is it?:cool2:

What the fuck does "you memberfolk" mean?

I didn't say anything about her policies. I said she's pretty unintelligent and frequently demonstrates it. Let's look at some quotes from her:

"Look at the debt that has been accumulated in the last two years. It's more debt under this president than all those other presidents combined."

"Ronald Reagan faced an even worse recession" than the current one."

A provision in the health care reform bill for end-of-life counseling for seniors is not "entirely voluntary."

"We're building a nearly $40-billion natural gas pipeline, which is North America's largest and most expensive infrastructure project ever."

The McCain campaign "did not elaborate" on Obama's ties to ACORN, according to Palin.

"We were promised (the stimulus) would provide 'green jobs' for Americans, but 80% of the $2 billion they spent on alternative energy went to purchase wind turbines built in China!"

From: http://www.politifact.com/personalities/sarah-palin/statements/byruling/false/

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border."

'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'"

"But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies."

From: http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palin-top-10.htm

"As we work and sightsee on America's largest island, we'll get to view more majestic bears, so now is a good time to draw attention to the political equivalent of the species."

"Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant -- they're quite clear -- that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the Ten Commandments"

From: http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palinisms.htm

"As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?"

Well, let's see. There's -- of course -- in the great history of America rulings there have been rulings." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision other than Roe vs. Wade

From: http://www.nairaland.com/180178/top-10-dumbest-sarah-palin

"It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state."

"Nucular."

"Let me speak specifically about a credential that I do bring to this table, Charlie, and that's with the energy independence that I've been working on for these years as the governor of this state that produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy." --Sarah Palin, misstating the actual amount of energy produced by Alaska, which is only 3.5 percent

"He can say he is a christian but as far as I'm concerned, Obama is a muslim, look at his middle name"

From:http://www.topix.com/forum/city/paragould-ar/TR8IAG7TRMSH6ETM1

"I'm very, very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing ... any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that."

From: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/10/palin-makes-tro/

Some political gaffes are expected, but this is just a sampling which means it's a trend of not knowing what she's talking about, (I'd say the same applies to Biden, to give another example).

She demonstrates she doesn't know basic geography, basic foreign affairs, basic facts about her state, makes an ignorant comment about the "muslim" president based on a middle name, doesn't know what the vice president does, makes incorrect comments about energy, knows very little about the recession, makes up words thinking they are real words then tries to defend them, couldn't properly pronounce "nuclear", so forth and so on. And then she lied about Troopergate when the real outcome was easy to find and absolutely the opposite of what she claimed, which was not just a lie but a stupid lie.

Even if she doesn't know any of these things, the smart thing to do would be to deflect, spin it to something she knows about or keep her freaking mouth shut (many of these quotes were put on Twitter... to bad she didn't use Google before typing and submitting them).

Chris
07-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Each and every cherry picked quote is disputable.

Chris
07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Dueling quotes for quick comparison:

"Even though most people agree... I'm presenting a fair deal, the fact that they don't take it means that I should somehow do a Jedi mind-meld with these folks and convince them to do what’s right." --mixing up Star Wars and Star Trek references while discussing working with Republicans in Congress (March 1, 2013)

"And finally, Bos, I just want to say thank you for Youkilis." –joking at a fundraiser in Boston about the Red Sox trading their beloved slugger Kevin Youkilis to Chicago White Sox, Obama's hometown team. The line drew boos from the audience. (June 25, 2012)

"When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia..." -mistakenly referring to Hawaii as Asia while holding a press conference outside Honolulu, Nov. 16, 2011

"We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." —Cincinnati, OH, Sept. 22, 2011

"We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy." —on Wall Street reform, Quincy, Ill., April 29, 2010

"One such translator was an American of Haitian descent, representative of the extraordinary work that our men and women in uniform do all around the world -- Navy Corpse-Man Christian Brossard." –mispronouncing "Corpsman" (the "ps" is silent) during a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, Washington, D.C., Feb. 5, 2010 (The Corpsman's name is also Christopher, not Christian)

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries." --Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly." —commenting on a white police officer's arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home in Cambridge, Mass., at a news conference, July 22, 2009

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." --in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." --confusing German for "Austrian," a language which does not exist, Strasbourg, France, April 6, 2009

"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." --making an off-hand joke during an appearance on "The Tonight Show", March 19, 2009 (Obama later called the head of the Special Olympics to apologize)

"I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any seances." --after saying he had spoken with all the living presidents as he prepared to take office, Washington, D.C., Nov. 7, 2008 (Obama later called Nancy Reagan to apologize)

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- defending his tax plan to Joe the Plumber, who argued that Obama's policy hurts small-business owners like himself, Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

"What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..." --in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, who jumped in to correct Obama by saying "your Christian faith," which Obama quickly clarified (Watch video clip)

"I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis." --speaking via satellite to the Democratic National Convention, while in Kansas City, Missouri, Aug. 25, 2008

"Let me introduce to you the next President -- the next Vice President of the United States of America, Joe Biden." --slipping up while introducing Joe Biden at their first joint campaign rally, Springfield, Illinois, Aug. 23, 2008

"Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee -- which is my committee -- a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon." --referring to a committee he is not on, Sderot, Israel, July 23, 2008

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change." --Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008

"How's it going, Sunshine?" --campaigning in Sunrise, Florida

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

"Hold on one second, sweetie, we're going to do -- we'll do a press avail." --to a female reporter for ABC's Detroit affiliate who asked about his plan to help American autoworkers (Watch video clip)

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon (Watch video clip)

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" --after being asked a foreign policy question by a reporter while visiting a diner in Pennsylvania

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society."

"Come on! I just answered, like, eight questions." --exasperated by reporters after a news conference

"You're likeable enough, Hillary." --during a Democratic debate

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama-isms.htm

Peter1469
07-14-2013, 02:09 PM
I think that the major problem that America has with Palin is that she has no solid ties to an elite status. (Sure, she and Todd did very well for themselves, but to the elite, they are considered trash). Face it, Americans tend to vote, at the federal level, for elites.

All, or I should say most, politicians make gaffes. The question is whether the media pounces on them or bushes them under the rug.

Palin has more in common with American statesmen of the 19th century, like Davy Crockett, than any other living politician today.

jillian
07-14-2013, 02:15 PM
I think that the major problem that America has with Palin is that she has no solid ties to an elite status. (Sure, she and Todd did very well for themselves, but to the elite, they are considered trash). Face it, Americans tend to vote, at the federal level, for elites.

All, or I should say most, politicians make gaffes. The question is whether the media pounces on them or bushes them under the rug.

Palin has more in common with American statesmen of the 19th century, like Davy Crockett, than any other living politician today.

The problem people have with palin is that she's not very bright and does nothing but toss red meat to "the base". She makes absurd, exaggerated assertions which anyone who isn't one of "the base" knows are nonsensical.

Chris
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM

That's true, and I think lends a certain amount of populism to her message, something I'm leary of.

Chris
07-14-2013, 02:20 PM
The problem people have with palin is that she's not very bright and does nothing but toss red meat to "the base". She makes absurd, exaggerated assertions which anyone who isn't one of "the base" knows are nonsensical.

IOW, you hate her and she speaks the message of those you hate.

Compare with Obama's gaffes. You probably consider him an intellectual.

Adelaide
07-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Dueling quotes for quick comparison:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama-isms.htm

Looking at it objectively, (I don't particularly like or respect Obama, either), none of those are comparable/on the same level as thinking North Korea is an ally, not knowing what the VP does (while running as the VP candidate), not knowing any examples of SCOTUS rulings, or thinking Putin is flying fighter jets in Alaskan airspace. He mispronounced words that are more difficult than "nuclear" or mixed up words mostly, and made some statements that contradict himself. Not the same as just being a complete idiot.

Peter1469
07-14-2013, 02:32 PM

I simply can't believe that you believe that - one good reason--

Joe Biden. Admitted his was smart before his stroke, but now he makes Palin look like a member of Mensa.

Chris
07-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Looking at it objectively, (I don't particularly like or respect Obama, either), none of those are comparable/on the same level as thinking North Korea is an ally, not knowing what the VP does (while running as the VP candidate), not knowing any examples of SCOTUS rulings, or thinking Putin is flying fighter jets in Alaskan airspace. He mispronounced words that are more difficult than "nuclear" or mixed up words mostly, and made some statements that contradict himself. Not the same as just being a complete idiot.

And I the opposite. Accountable by a difference in political positions.

Mainecoons
07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
The problem people have with ME is that I'M not very bright and do nothing but toss red meat to "the other leftist geniuses on this board". I make absurd, exaggerated assertions which anyone who isn't one of "the crew of partisan hacks here" knows are nonsensical.

You've described yourself perfectly. I corrected your quote to help you express your self awareness better.

:rofl:

Ransom
07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I didn't say anything about her policies. I said she's pretty unintelligent and frequently demonstrates it. Let's look at some quotes from her.

No, you didn't. Few do.

Mainecoons
07-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Adelaide, see if you also can grasp the concept of not making "is" statements when you are really making "in my opinion" statements. IN YOUR HIGHLY BIASED OPINION Palin is unintelligent. We got it. You don't have to repeat it ad nauseum. My impression of your definition of intelligent, along with the other lefties here is, anyone who agrees with you, period. I doubt you'll ever grasp just how unintelligent that definition is.

Frankly, I don't give a damn about your Canadian opinion about Ms. Palin. I don't see people on this board insulting your Canadian leaders and as a matter of courtesy, you might want to consider doing the same for ours. Now I realize Canada and Canadian politics is damn boring, so a number of you feel driven to get on a U.S. board and harp your opinions of our politics and leaders but maybe you could find something better to do like chasing Moose (or is the plural Meese) or something.

Thank you.

Peter1469
07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Canadian politics is actually quite interesting. They actually practice the federalism that we created and abandoned. Additionally they managed to not fall for Goldman Sachs fraudulent mortgage backed derivatives and took other steps to avoid the fiscal cliff that the US so happily jumped over. And Montreal, the old town, is one of the most European cities in North America.

And as I have said several times before, the Canadian infantry was slogging it out in hand-to-hand combat with al Qaeda and the Taliban long before the US did. (Hint, Tora Bora wasn't much hand-to hand- certainly not at the leg infantry level).

Mainecoons
07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
But apparently not interesting enough to capture their interest sufficiently so they don't show up here and denigrate Americans of pretty significant accomplishments.

I think they should stick to watching Bullwinkle and Rocky. :rofl:

Captain Obvious
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Exactly, and wingnuts eat it up.

Mob-think mentality. Palin represents everything that is wrong with conservative parties, she's a "me" person, talks the talk, hasn't done much in her political career - but she knows the buzzwords and that's good enough for the mediocre.

Chris
07-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Exactly, and wingnuts eat it up.

Mob-think mentality. Palin represents everything that is wrong with conservative parties, she's a "me" person, talks the talk, hasn't done much in her political career - but she knows the buzzwords and that's good enough for the mediocre.

Demonstrated incorrect.

Ransom
07-16-2013, 10:23 AM

You fear her is the translation...and hate her for her politics. You're not transparent, Jillian, your attempts to suggest otherwise a failure.