PDA

View Full Version : OECD on unemployment in US, Canada

Adelaide
07-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Unemployment rates in Canada and the United States will fall significantly by the end of next year but the overall rate among some of the world's advanced economies will remain high, the OECD forecasts in a report issued Tuesday.

For the 34-country Organization for Economic Co-operation and Devepment, overall unemployment is projected to fall slightly next year to 7.8 per cent from eight per cent.

In Canada, which weathered the latest recession better than many other advanced countries, the unemployment rate was 7.1 per cent in the first quarter of this year and is projected to fall to 6.7 per cent by the end of 2014.

The OECD says Canada continues to outpace many other member countries but it hasn't completely recovered from the 2008-09 financial crisis, when the national unemployment rate was 6.1 per cent.

In addition to Canada, the United States will see unemployment fall significantly by the end of next year and Germany will improve on its already low unemployment rate, according to the Paris-based organization.

It projects the U.S. unemployment rate will fall to 6.7 per cent by the end of 2014, from 7.6 per cent at the end of June and from a post-recession peak near 10 per cent in the fall of 2009.

OECD says jobless will decrease in Canada [and the US] (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/07/16/business-oecd-unemployment.html) - CBC NEWS

Interesting projection - what do you think? I think it would be great but I don't know that I feel that optimistic about it.

Mainecoons
07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Unemployment hasn't really fallen in the U.S. What has happened is a lot of people gave up trying to find a job. A bunch more, thanks directly to Obama, are losing their full time jobs. Very dishonestly, the government counts a part time job the same as a full time one.

Shortly, you are going to see this kick in when tax collections start dropping off as the number of good jobs continues to decrease to be replaced with crappy, low paying part time work that the people thus employed don't make enough to pay taxes.

Obama has nuked the average working man while he's made the one percent richer than ever with the stock market balloon.

Common
07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Shortly, you are going to see this kick in when tax collections start dropping off as the number of good jobs continues to decrease to be replaced with crappy, low paying part time work that the people thus employed don't make enough to pay taxes.

Somehow you try to blame obama for this and everything else , try putting the blame where it belongs on greedy employers that dont want to pay fair wages.

Peter1469
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
OECD says jobless will decrease in Canada [and the US] (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/07/16/business-oecd-unemployment.html) - CBC NEWS

Interesting projection - what do you think? I think it would be great but I don't know that I feel that optimistic about it.

I don't know how Canada measures unemployment. In the US we have several measurements called U-1 through U-6. The politicians and media focus on U-3.

We also need to understand that the job participation rate messes up the math. In other words if 100K just say to hell with work this month and leave the work force, they would not be counted in the unemployment figures; thus the media would report that employment rates went up. When, clearly they didn't.

But math is hard and most people don't understand all of this.

Mainecoons
07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Yes and even U6 omits some unemployment. Even so, it has hardly budged in 6 years of Obama's policies.

And if ObamaCare isn't repealed?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/74-of-small-businesses-will-fire-workers-cut-hours-under-obamacare/article/2533131

For the leftist ranters who think everything is a big business conspiracy, please note the words "small business" and look them up if you still don't know what those are.

Let us know if you need help looking those words up. Helping the (mentally) handicapped is a noble cause and, as you know, we conservatives are much more supportive of charity than liberals.

:grin:

lynn
07-16-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't know how Canada measures unemployment. In the US we have several measurements called U-1 through U-6. The politicians and media focus on U-3.

We also need to understand that the job participation rate messes up the math. In other words if 100K just say to hell with work this month and leave the work force, they would not be counted in the unemployment figures; thus the media would report that employment rates went up. When, clearly they didn't.

But math is hard and most people don't understand all of this.

How do they know if 100K decided to give up looking for a job?

Peter1469
07-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Look at the official employment rate (http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000)

Mr Happy
07-16-2013, 09:30 PM
A bunch more, thanks directly to Obama, are losing their full time jobs. Very dishonestly, the government counts a part time job the same as a full time one..

What a load of crap. The UE rate was 7.6 when he came to office, it is now 7.3...no matter how you count it...

zelmo1234
07-16-2013, 09:30 PM

Somehow you try to blame obama for this and everything else , try putting the blame where it belongs on greedy employers that dont want to pay fair wages.

Which employers are they? and who gets to define greedy? I worked from 6 this morning until 9:30 tonight, so did my crews, they made overtime, my profits went down, but I am trying to cover for a builder that was employing illegals.

I happen to be rich according to your standards and the builder that I am picking up the pieces is one of those that would love to have you think he is paying a fair wage? Which one of us is greedy!

When a person takes a job and knows that wages going into that job? IS the employer forcing them to work?

And do you think wages would go up if we had the need of say the 6 million people that have stopped working since Obama took office? Well of course we would! Face it you are full of class envy and jealousy, but likely did not put forth the same effort as those that became wealthy!

zelmo1234
07-16-2013, 09:31 PM
What a load of crap. The UE rate was 7.6 when he came to office, it is now 7.3...no matter how you count it...

Of course work force participation is down by more than 6 million and our population has not dropped? As a matter of fact to have worker participation this low you would need to go back the Carter administration? But of course an Australian would know all that!

zelmo1234
07-16-2013, 09:33 PM

The count the number of people that are actually working! Compare it to those that are retired, and entering the work force to get the participation rate!

Mr Happy
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Of course work force participation is down by more than 6 million and our population has not dropped? As a matter of fact to have worker participation this low you would need to go back the Carter administration? But of course an Australian would know all that!

Take it up with the Dept of Labor. And I'm not Australian...;o)

zelmo1234
07-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Take it up with the Dept of Labor. And I'm not Australian...;o)

Not saying that all presidents don't use fudged numbers. but Obama is not using the same formula as Bush for the number! Like I said this is not something that any president would not be doing but it should be noted that we have 6 million less jobs since Obama tokk office?

Sorry I thought that you Said that you were an Aussie? New Zealand working in Australia????

Mr Happy
07-16-2013, 10:08 PM
. but Obama is not using the same formula as Bush for the number!

Sorry I thought that you Said that you were an Aussie? New Zealand working in Australia????

Link for the first sentence

Aye for the second...:wink: