PDA

View Full Version : Payroll Tax Extended

Conley
12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
House of Representatives Republican Speaker John Boehner has agreed to accept a bipartisan deal to extend a payroll tax cut, in an abrupt U-turn.
He had refused a vote on the bill, which was passed by Republicans and Democrats in the Senate last Saturday.
Correspondents say the move amounts to a cave-in by House Republicans, and victory for President Barack Obama.
The tax break is due to expire on 31 December, and would hit the pay slips of some 160 million American workers.
The cut saves about $1,000 (£638) each year for an average US income.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16310008

According to the article the Republicans blinked? I don't know, I'm just glad D still gets his grocery money... :grin:

Mister D
12-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Damn straight! My emails must have made a real difference! :cool2:

Cap't is right though. Hopefully they are not just kicking the can down the road...

Conley
12-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Did you really write emails?

I don't have a problem with extending the cuts while things are worked out.

Mister D
12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Did you really write emails?

I don't have a problem with extending the cuts while things are worked out.

:laugh: Nah. I was just joshin' ya.

It has to be paid for though.

Conley
12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
I was going to be impressed! :laugh:

I agree, we need to balance things as step 1.

Peter1469
12-22-2011, 10:17 PM
This is utter B.S. and an example of where the media fails in its role as the 4th Estate.

The payroll tax is what funds Social Security.

I was against the payroll tax holiday last year when Obama called for it. Why did he call for it? Because 47% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes. So his base would not benefit from a cut in federal income taxes. But a cut in payroll taxes affects all workers.

This is a Viking raid on the Social Security "lock box". And the clowns in the GOP leadership fell for it. They supported it, and now that it is about to expire they allowed themselves to get hammered with it.

Why not point out to America that it is a big scam: any payroll tax harms the viability of social security. I can't believe that the GOP is this stupid. They are merely the other side of the coin as the Dems. Statists all.

To hell with them.

Mister D
12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I was going to be impressed! :laugh:

I agree, we need to balance things as step 1.

You still can be. The truth is I made a phone call. :grin:

I like the cut but it's only going to add to our problem. It needs to be paid for somehow. Hopefully they work that out. Maybe raise the wage cap on employers or something.

MMC
12-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Peter is right they dropped the ball. This will lead to another stop gap measure and more than likely another billion or two because they did not budget such for at least one fiscal year of time. They needed to call the Demo's bluff. Might have suffered in the short term as a party but over the long term would have set the GOP up for the end of campaign and afterwards. if they would have held out Obama would have rode with them in the end giving the 1000 dollars over the 170!

This is what comes from listening to the base and all those Eurpean Economists that ours are mimcking. As well as these Pols in believing we are growing and the economy is getting better so that they can go home for another vacation. Which they get paid for.

GRUMPY
12-23-2011, 10:28 AM
This is utter B.S. and an example of where the media fails in its role as the 4th Estate.

The payroll tax is what funds Social Security.

I was against the payroll tax holiday last year when Obama called for it. Why did he call for it? Because 47% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes. So his base would not benefit from a cut in federal income taxes. But a cut in payroll taxes affects all workers.

This is a Viking raid on the Social Security "lock box". And the clowns in the GOP leadership fell for it. They supported it, and now that it is about to expire they allowed themselves to get hammered with it.

Why not point out to America that it is a big scam: any payroll tax harms the viability of social security. I can't believe that the GOP is this stupid. They are merely the other side of the coin as the Dems. Statists all.

To hell with them.

weeeeel folks this does about say it all other than pointing out that the gop behavior in this is beyond stupid it is feckless.....

Peter1469
12-23-2011, 07:53 PM
weeeeel folks this does about say it all other than pointing out that the gop behavior in this is beyond stupid it is feckless.....

Thanks Grumps, but I took it as a given that the GOP is beyond stupid and is feckless and all that.

Mister D
12-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks Grumps, but I took it as a given that the GOP is beyond stupid and is feckless and all that.

Redundant is probably the best term to describe the GOP.

GRUMPY
12-23-2011, 08:59 PM

stupidity is a built in excuse, cowardice of this type is rooted in a lack of character that makes ones stomach turn.....

Conley
12-23-2011, 09:05 PM
stupidity is a built in excuse, cowardice of this type is rooted in a lack of character that makes ones stomach turn.....

So you're saying it's not my fault? :grin:

Jail Nation
01-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Correspondents say Mr Boehner's climbdown reflects a realisation in his party that it would have faced blame for an effective tax rise on US workers in a general election year.
Under the compromise, House Republicans came away with face-saving language on making the package more friendly to small businesses.
And Senate Democrats will appoint negotiators to work out the year-long deal that was demanded by House Republicans and originally by Mr Obama.

MMC
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Yep.....Senate Democrats will appoint those Negotaitors! Thanks For that JN and btw Welcome to the Site!

Jail Nation
01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Correspondents say Mr Boehner's climbdown reflects a realisation in his party that it would have faced blame for an effective tax rise on US workers in a general election year.