PDA

View Full Version : A former 17-year old, self-described thug

Cigar
07-19-2013, 12:39 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/horse63/17thug_zpsd1450c94.jpg

I am Trayvon Martin..
The picture on the left was taken when I was 17 years old, had just graduated from high school, and really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Based on my appearance in this picture, you probably would have labeled me a thug or a trouble maker. I only graduated in the top 50% of my class and I took my ACT 4 times. A promising future in college doesn't look too well... at this point does it?

But at age 17 (Trayvon's age when murdered), I didn't realize how much I would be judged and stereotyped for the clothes I wore and my physical appearance. Two months after that picture on the left was taken, I entered college and quickly realized that I wasn't pushing myself to be the best I can be. I hardly studied in high school but as as freshman in college I began to study daily. As a matter of fact, I did so well that I was able to participate in a summer medical internship at Yale University. I then went on to graduate from Prairie View A&M University Magna Cum Laude and in two weeks I will be attending Texas A&M Health Science College of Medicine to become a medical doctor.

The picture on the right is where I am now just four years later at the age of 21. The reason I am sharing this with you is because I COULD HAVE BEEN TRAYVON MARTIN!!! The defense team could have gone onto the internet and found pictures of me that were similar to Trayvon's pictures and characterized me as a thug. They would have then portrayed me as the aggressor and as a result it lead to my death. If that would have happened, then I would not have had the opportunity to reach my true calling, which is a medical doctor. My White Coat ceremony is in four days and it marks the next step in my journey. I could have been laying in a casket with a black suit, instead of being in a white coat trying to save lives.

When I was 17, no one would have imagined that I would be doing so well and on my way to medical school. Who is to say that could not have happened to Trayvon Martin if he was still alive? He could have been the next doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher ,etc.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Please share my story so people can be more conscious of their racial profiling. Everyone has the potential, as long as they are alive, to achieve greatness and make a positive impact on this world.

http://blackdoctor.org/202051/i-am-trayvon-martin/

//flame-on//

nic34
07-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Good story.

Agravan
07-19-2013, 02:56 PM
MArtin should have thought about that before he decided to kick some "creepy ass cracker" butt. He'd still be alive to day had he made a better decision to just go home or not be thuggish.

Adelaide
07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
It is nice to hear stories about people who turn their lives around or otherwise improve their lives through action. I think many people, regardless of race or gender or sexual orientation or whatever, often just settle for whatever they get in life or wherever they get to and don't realise their true potential.

Venus
07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Good for him. I hope he has all the successes he wants in life.

Mister D
07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
But at age 17 (Trayvon's age when murdered), I didn't realize how much I would be judged and stereotyped for the clothes I wore and my physical appearance.

Trayvon wasn't murdered.

Sadly, there are too many kids who don't understand that. Worse still, they are taught that it shouldn't matter. It does. It always will.

jillian
07-19-2013, 03:06 PM
MArtin should have thought about that before he decided to kick some "creepy ass cracker" butt. He'd still be alive to day had he made a better decision to just go home or not be thuggish.

except that your buddy 'zim' didn't know anything about trayvon martin when he stalked him other than the color of his skin.

isn't that cute?

Mister D
07-19-2013, 03:08 PM
except that your buddy 'zim' didn't know anything about trayvon martin when he stalked him other than the color of his skin.

isn't that cute?

You keep repeating that without a shred of evidence. It's not cute and it's the sort of nonsense that got Zimmerman acquitted. He sends his regards.

Common
07-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I agree its fantastic to see anyone that turns their life around. Unfortunately the stark reality is many dont make it until they can mature mentally and emotionally to turn it around. They are already dead or doing big time in prison.

Dr. Who
07-19-2013, 06:17 PM
I hope the young would be doctor in the OP offers to attend schools and tell his story to inspire other kids to see themselves with the potential to improve their lives.