PDA

View Full Version : Do Americans Believe Capitalism & Government Are Working?

Chris
07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Political leanings aside, more Americans than not trust capitalism over government.

Do Americans Believe Capitalism & Government Are Working? (http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2013/07/18-economic-values-survey-capitalism-government-prri-dionne-galston)

The 2013 Economic Values Survey probed Americans’ views on capitalism, government, economic policy, and financial well-being. It found that Americans are concerned about the lack of jobs (26% cited this as the most important economic issue), the budget deficit (17%), and the rising cost of health care (18%) and education (9%). Overall, they are pessimistic about what the future holds. A majority (54%) believes that hard work and determination are no guarantee of success and, perhaps more alarming, a majority (52%) also believes their generation is better off financially than the next generation will be.

http://i.snag.gy/ORNsu.jpg

Despite these negative views of the economy and financial well-being, most Americans (54%) nonetheless believe that capitalism is working at least somewhat well. They don’t feel the same way about government, however. While more than 6-in-10 Americans agree that government should do more to reduce the gap between rich and poor, and that it is the responsibility of government to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves, roughly two-thirds say the federal government is broken.

http://i.snag.gy/8ZzFn.jpg

Yet the survey found some hopeful signs. Although polarization persists in many areas, there is broad consensus on the values that should guide the government’s economic policy. Approximately 8-in-10 Americans agree that promoting freedom and liberty, encouraging people to live more responsible lives, and promoting equality and fairness are important guiding values. More than two-thirds cite promoting a public safety net as an important guide.

On edit, note the Millennials % needs to be corrected to 58 and 42%.

Peter1469
07-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't think that the younger generations have the required education to offer an intelligent opinion on the matter.

Chris
07-19-2013, 03:55 PM
And the older generations may be too stuck in the views. That's the trouble with survey data, just what does it say?

lynn
07-19-2013, 06:10 PM
I am baby boomer and I feel I know longer recognize this country anymore. I do not trust the government since they seem to be living in their own bubble of wealth and have no clue or care about the citizens that they are suppose to govern.

Adelaide
07-19-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't think that the younger generations have the required education to offer an intelligent opinion on the matter.

Seriously? The trend has been upward for a long time with regards to graduating high school and going on to be university educated. In fact, so many of are getting degrees that many can't even find a job because it's so competitive.

You could make an argument about life experience, but certainly not about education levels/experience.

Peter1469
07-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Seriously? The trend has been upward for a long time with regards to graduating high school and going on to be university educated. In fact, so many of are getting degrees that many can't even find a job because it's so competitive.

You could make an argument about life experience, but certainly not about education levels/experience.

I should say, the type of education.

Our office has a robust intern program and I discuss the issues of the day with these interns, to include Constitutional issues. They all feel as if the Constitution is a quaint document that has little relevance today. And these are law students.