PDA

View Full Version : Loving a Dog

oceanloverOH
07-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Schoep
This story made me blubber. :tearyeyed: *blowing nose*

The arthritic dog who became an internet sensation after picture of his owner soothing him in a lake went viral has died a month after he turned 20.

John Unger, owner of Schoep the German Shepherd, announced his pet's death by posting a photograph of a pawprint in the sand on Facebook with the caption: 'I breathe but I can't catch my breath'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2370119/Schoep-arthritic-dog-pictured-heartwarming-photo-owner-easing-pain-dies-celebrating-20th-birthday.html

Agravan
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM
My dog passed away after 15 years. He was a good boy. Loving, loyal and friendly. He was actually my wife's dog, but I'm the one that broke down and cried like a baby. I lost a good friend that day last year.

Common
07-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I read it and it brought back memories of my beloved best friend Sophie, they used to call her my wife because back then I had pickup trucks and she would glue herself to my side.
DOGS DONT LIVE LONG ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oceanloverOH
07-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I read it and it brought back memories of my beloved best friend Sophie, they used to call her my wife because back then I had pickup trucks and she would glue herself to my side.
DOGS DONT LIVE LONG ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, they don't live long enough. We love them with all our heart.....and when they leave, they take a big chunk with them.

Common
07-20-2013, 01:35 PM
No, they don't live long enough. We love them with all our heart.....and when they leave, they take a big chunk with them.

They sure do, they give themselves selfishly and love you unconditionally. I have no idea how im going to get my wife through it, when little maxwells time comes, hes going on 9.

oceanloverOH
07-20-2013, 05:04 PM
They sure do, they give themselves selfishly and love you unconditionally. I have no idea how im going to get my wife through it, when little maxwells time comes, hes going on 9.

If you haven't heard of it, my best suggestion is Rainbow Bridge, when the time comes, Common. The visualization of this beautiful place has gotten many grieving animal lovers through the loss of a beloved furbaby.....including me when I lost my 18-year-old kitty Livvie. Then adopt another furbaby as soon as you can. I brought Jake home 4 months after Livvie passed....he could never replace her, of course....but I found that nurturing a baby animal goes a long way towards healing that chunk of heart that went with the one who left.

Common
07-20-2013, 05:40 PM
That is beautiful ocean and thats what weve done in the past got another puppy, now were getting a bit to old for that, dont want your pet to outive you. Id adopt an older pet now.

Dr. Who
07-20-2013, 05:57 PM

Captain Obvious
07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I think I told this story before, but when I was a kid our family pet was a pit bull. He got cancer around 11and we had to put him down. It was abig deal for me, I was maybe 12 but my dad. Never saw him cry in my life. My mom dies, grandparents, all the tragedies in life and he cries over the fucking dog.

Dr. Who
07-20-2013, 06:43 PM
I've had quite a few dogs in my lifetime and I've cried over each and every one of them. They really don't live long enough and they are likely the only entity in your life that never judges you, never seems to have a bad day, and is always happy to see you.

strollingbonez
07-21-2013, 06:13 AM
I think I told this story before, but when I was a kid our family pet was a pit bull. He got cancer around 11and we had to put him down. It was abig deal for me, I was maybe 12 but my dad. Never saw him cry in my life. My mom dies, grandparents, all the tragedies in life and he cries over the fucking dog.

i didnt cry at anyone's funeral either...why should I? I can still be brought to tears talking about hector or jake...or saddam who kitty

Tahuyaman
09-27-2016, 07:20 PM
I have a dog. He's getting old and having a hard time getting around. He's a shell of his former self. I've had this guy for a long time. I just can't find the courage to take him to the vet and put him down.

I'm never going to have another dog. I can't handle putting them down.

William
09-27-2016, 09:01 PM
I had a dog, he was a black Labrador called (wait for it) 'Sooty'. We got him as a puppy when I was like five, and we sort of grew up together, but he was quite old in dog years and got out onto the road a couple of years ago, and got hit by a car. He made it home, but I was away at school and there was no one there to care for him, so he died. We found him in the shed leaning against my bike - my mum said it was a familiar scent he wanted to be near. I didn't cry, but I buried him in the back yard, and I don't think I can have another dog again.

Tahuyaman
09-27-2016, 11:09 PM
I cry when I lose my dog. A dog is a special creature. They love you unconditionally. They don't care if you are rich or poor, good looking or ugly, smart or dumb as a stump. they just want to be loved. They love you even if you don't love them.

Tahuyaman
09-27-2016, 11:15 PM
If you can be mean to a dog, you are soulless.

Standing Wolf
09-28-2016, 08:23 AM
I've never been close to a dog before four years ago, when I was given my Gemma. I know I've written about her in other threads; she's a sixty-pound, brown and brindle Amstaff-German Shepherd mix, and she is the smartest, silliest, funniest, most loving dog I can imagine there being. I read that dogs of her breed(s) normally live for about twelve years and it just doesn't seem real that it could be true, and I don't like to think about it. I'd almost rather predecease her, I think.