PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Imprisoned Norwegian Rape Victim

Adelaide
07-20-2013, 02:30 PM
A Dubai court has sentenced a Norwegian woman to 16 months in jail for having sex outside of marriage after she reported being raped, according to news reports from the United Arab Emirates.

Marte Deborah Dalelv, 24, was convicted Wednesday. She was also found guilty of perjury and of drinking alcohol, the English-language Local reported (http://www.thelocal.no/20130718/norway-slams-dubai-jailing-of-rape-victim). The Norway Post said (http://www.norwaypost.no/index.php/news/latest-news/28764-norwegian-woman-reported-rape-was-jailed) she was 25.

Dalelv told police March 6 that she was raped while in the emirate on business. Her father said she was instead jailed for four days and had her passport and money confiscated. She was then charged. Norwegian diplomats secured her release to the local Norwegian Seamen's Church.

The Norwegian Department of Foreign Affairs said Thursday that the verdict "flies in the face of our notion of justice" and was "highly problematic" in terms of Western human rights.

For a rape conviction, United Arab Emirates law requires either a confession or four adult male witnesses to the attack.

Dubai imprisons Norwegian woman who reported rape - USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/07/18/dubai-woman-raped-jailed-extramarital-sex/2554045/)

Absolutely ridiculous and can you imagine what she would have gone through? She's raped, goes to the police for help, and gets put in jail. Revictimization doesn't even begin to describe that treatment.

Peter1469
07-20-2013, 02:49 PM
And some people believe that all cultures are equal.

Common
07-20-2013, 02:49 PM
gotta love islam

GrassrootsConservative
07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Women should be smarter than to go to a place run by such a barbaric and intolerant religion. We hear about these terrorists every day, bombings and rapings of innocent women and the treatment they receive. Why even go?

Adelaide
07-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Women should be smarter than to go to a place run by such a barbaric and intolerant religion. We hear about these terrorists every day, bombings and rapings of innocent women and the treatment they receive. Why even go?

A lot of people think Dubai is more progressive than it actually is. Many vacation there without realising some of the strange/harsh laws that are in place, because its touted as the "new Middle East".

GrassrootsConservative
07-20-2013, 02:58 PM
A lot of people think Dubai is more progressive than it actually is. Many vacation there without realising some of the strange/harsh laws that are in place, because its touted as the "new Middle East".

That's because the Liberals want us to be PC when we talk about the primitive Muslim plague.

/Edit: Something like this happens and they say "Oh, no, it's just a very small percentage of them." How many 911s and Fort Hoods and Boston Marathon Bombings and London Subway Bombings is it going to take for people to wake up and see that we need to isolate, scorch, and salt all the land in the ME?

Adelaide
07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
That's because the Liberals want us to be PC when we talk about the primitive Muslim plague.

/Edit: Something like this happens and they say "Oh, no, it's just a very small percentage of them." How many 911s and Fort Hoods and Boston Marathon Bombings and London Subway Bombings is it going to take for people to wake up and see that we need to isolate, scorch, and salt all the land in the ME?

Um, no.

It's because tourist and vacation planners want to promote it, and because large businesses with locations in Dubai don't want to scare off their employees.

GrassrootsConservative
07-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Um, no.

It's because tourist and vacation planners want to promote it, and because large businesses with locations in Dubai don't want to scare off their employees.

Do you admit, then, that in reality a rather large portion of these people are hateful and intolerant?

Adelaide
07-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Do you admit, then, that in reality a rather large portion of these people are hateful and intolerant?

Which people? Muslims? No. Many want change but live under dictatorships. They immigrate en masse to places like Canada, the US and certain European countries and most of those immigrants are "progressive" Muslims, although you do get a few extremists who want sharia law respected as a religious freedom (Ontario shot that one down here) or the very, very, very few who radicalize to the point of plotting or committing a terrorist attack or otherwise exhibiting extreme behaviour related to religion, (such as honor killings that take place very rarely).

I've lived and worked with many Muslims, mostly women, mostly young women. A lot of them will explain how their father (or their mother, but mostly the father) wanted to get out of Iran/Saudi Arabia/etc. in order for his daughters to have a better quality of life, and that they wanted the freedoms available in Canada. They still hold traditions, such as covering their hair or bodies, going to religious gatherings, considering the father the head of the family, so forth, but they wanted out of the countries where laws such as the one in the OP exist. Almost always a big reason has to do with women's rights (or lack thereof) and with providing opportunities to children, both female and male, that would not exist in their country of origin. My father also works mostly with Muslims and landed immigrants or first generation Canadians who wanted those things. If you asked Muslims living in OECD countries why they immigrated, I guarantee that the reasons I've listed would hold up.

roadmaster
07-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Almost always a big reason has to do with women's rights (or lack thereof) and with providing opportunities to children, both female and male, that would not exist in their country of origin. And that they consider a boy a man at age 12 and will round them up and expect them to train to fight in wars.

roadmaster
07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
She was also found guilty of perjury and of drinking alcohol, the English-language Local reported (http://www.thelocal.no/20130718/norway-slams-dubai-jailing-of-rape-victim). This is the key to her being found guilty. Just like a woman in California claiming rape of three young men. On the tape that one recorded the woman was laughing and giving her consent to these men. If not for the tape these men would have been prosecuted for rape. Even in Israel a judge that was fired thankfully, said and I quote "some women enjoy being rapped." In the ME or Dubia it is not acceptable for a young woman to drink with men.

Adelaide
07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Well... Dubai ruler pardons Norwegian woman convicted after she reported rape - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/22/world/meast/uae-norway-rape-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Speaking to reporters in Dubai, Marte Deborah Dalelv seemed relieved and happy as she confirmed the news -- if still slightly bewildered by the swift turn of events.

"They told me that I would be pardoned and that they were going to give me my passport back, so I got it immediately," she said.

Asked what happens next, Dalelv paused a moment before replying: "I get to go home."

She added, "We want to make it as soon as possible."

Dalelv has her passport in her possession and filed the paperwork for an exit visa Monday afternoon. She hopes to find out Tuesday when she can leave the country.

A spokeswoman for Norway's Foreign Ministry, Ragnhild Imerslund, said Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum had said Dalelv was free to travel where she wants and can remain in Dubai if she chooses.

The sheikh, who is vice president of the United Arab Emirates, also said the 24-year-old had not been and would not be deported, Imerslund said. She is expected to travel in a day or two, the spokeswoman said.

Well, I'm glad she was pardoned, but they really need to change their laws about this. It's putting a band aid on a larger problem.